01x05 - Rain of Sorrows

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood". Aired: April 5, 2009 – July 4, 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Japanese anime follows two brothers searching for the Philsopher's Stone, hoping to restore their bodies.

01x05 - Rain of Sorrows

Post by bunniefuu »

Alchemy is a science where one understands the structure of matter, breaks it down, then rebuilds it.

However, it is not an all-powerful technique, as one cannot create something out of nothing.

If one wishes to gain something, one must present something of equal value.

This is the concept of equivalent exchange, the fundamental basis of alchemy.

However, there is a taboo in alchemy.

Human transmutation.

One must not commit this act.

To obtain more information about the transmutation of living organisms, Ed and Al visited Shou Tucker, the Sewing-Life Alchemist.

At his house, they met his daughter, Nina, and their dog, Alexander.

In order to pass the assessment for State Alchemists, Tucker transmuted a chimera using Nina and Alexander.

Nina will never be able to return to her old self.

Ed was grief-stricken by his powerlessness.

Mom! Mom! What's the matter, Ed? A present for you.

I transmuted it myself! Is that so? You're Daddy's son, all right.

Thank you.

You're really amazing, Ed.

To be able to make something wonderful like this.

But You couldn't make me correctly, could you Onii-chan.

Let's play.

Are you all right, Brother? Seemed like you were having a nightmare.

What's the matter, you two? Isn't it a bit early in the morning to be here? Umm So what's going to happen to Tucker and Nina? Mr.

Tucker was supposed to be put on trial and have his State Alchemist qualifications stripped but both of them d*ed.

"d*ed"? I'll go ahead and let you know now, since you'll find out sooner or later.

They were k*lled.

Why?! By who?! We don't know.

I'm about to head to the scene myself.

We're coming with you.

I can't allow you to.

Why not?! You're better off not seeing it.

Looks like we were a bit late.

We'll have to go after him soon.

Or else You sound as if you knew this was going to happen.

What's this about? God has given us a trial! Evil heathens are trying to disturb our faith by spreading absurd rumors, and the m*llitary is planning to oppress us! But we shall not give in! Take up arms and rise! In the name of our almighty Sun God, Leto! That's right! We've got the Sun God Leto on our side! sh**t the heathens! Hey! Don't let him trick you! That bastard has been lying to us! Shut up! You guys are agents of the heathens, aren't you! Humans are oh so silly.

Don't you agree, Gluttony? Foolish! Foolish! Yeah, seriously.

Oh my, Sir High Priest.

Sir! Sorry for giving you so much trouble.

I'll be returning to my assigned town once all of this is over.

The fullmetal boy got in our way, but we were able to make good use of him in the end.

Looks like this'll be over quicker than we'd expected.

All of this happened just because you manipulated a bit of information and I stirred the believers.

Humans are such simple beings.

Blood calls for blood, while hatred begets hatred, and the energy that comes forth begins to take root in this earth and engraves a crest of blood.

They never learn, no matter how many times history is repeated.

Humans are foolish, sorrowful creatures.

But that's why we can have them play right into our hands, is it not? Will more people die? Yes, they will.

Can I eat all the ones that d*ed? No eating.

In any case Envy, just how much longer do you plan to stay in that form? It's kind of gross.

Oh come on, I'm just going with the flow.

But I guess it's better to transform into someone young and cute, huh? M-Monster!!! What's this?! The High Priest What happened to the real High Priest?! What do we do? He called me a monster.

How rude.

Can I eat him? Oh yeah, I heard Shou Tucker from East City was k*lled.

Tucker? Ah well, who cares about small fry like him? Well, the guy who k*lled him is none other than that guy.

If we're talking about East City, isn't the Flame Colonel stationed there? Yup.

The fullmetal brat is there, too, it seems.

Fullmetal It makes me mad that he interfered with our work, but we can't let him die.

He's an important human sacrifice, after all.

Thanks for the meal! Got it.

We'll take care of it somehow.

So, what's that guy's name again? Scar? Scarred man Yeah.

We don't know anything about him, so that's what we call him.

We have no idea what his aim is, and he's extremely elusive.

All we know about him is that he has a large scar on his forehead.

I've heard rumors about him, but So that's who you guys have been after.

It was on the recommendations from m*llitary police headquarters.

I've got so much work from the chamber of m*llitary, too.

Seriously, all this is giving me a headache We've got five casualties so far in Central, ten nationwide.

All State Alchemists.

Old man Gran was k*lled five days ago, too.

Brigadier General Gran?! He was the lead of weapons transmutation and troop combat divisions! That's how much trouble this guy really is.

Listen to me.

Deploy more guards and stay put for a while.

I'm asking this as a friend, too.

The only famous alchemists around here were you and Tucker, right? sh*t! I've always been thinking.

What is this alchemy we believe in? "Alchemy is understanding the various rules and flow that exist within matter, breaking it down, then rebuilding it.

" "This world also flows while abiding by those rules and is in a cycle.

" "Death is also a part of that flow.

Accept the flow entirely.

" That's what our master always said, isn't it? I thought I understood.

But I didn't.

That's why we transmuted Mom And even now, I'm thinking whether I could somehow fix something that's impossible.

I'm an idiot.

I haven't grown one bit since that time.

I thought that rain would wash away these pent-up feelings But every drop that hits my face makes me more miserable.

I can't even feel the rain hitting my skin because I have no body.

That by itself is lonely and cruel.

I still want to return to my old body.

I want to become human again.

Even if it's impossible and is against the ways of this world.

You're Edward Elric, the "Fullmetal Alchemist", aren't you? Brother! What the hell is this about?! Who the hell is this guy? This is bad This is bad! I've got to get away! This is bad This is bad! Al, run! I won't let you get away! Brother! Al, hang on! Dammit, what the hell?! I haven't done anything to set anyone against me- Scratch that, I've done a lot.

I haven't given anyone reason to go after my life, though! Oww Who the hell are you? Why are you after us?! Think of it this way: If there is someone who created you, then there is someone who will destroy you, as well.

Looks like there's no getting out of this.

You've got some guts.

But Too slow.

Al! It's empty? You bastard!!! Too slow! Dammit! Automail Makes sense.

I wouldn't be able to destroy it with human destruction.

You guys are something else.

No, Brother! You should run! Idiot! How can I leave you behind and run?! So you transmute by placing your hands together and forming a circle.

In that case I'll be destroying this annoying arm of yours, first.

Brother!!! Now you can't use alchemy anymore.

I'll give you a bit of time to pray to God.

Brother, run! Brother! Unfortunately, there isn't a god I want to pray to.

Am I the only one you're after? Are you going to k*ll my brother Al too? I will, if he decides to interfere.

But the only one to receive judgment at my hands is the Fullmetal Alchemist You All right Then promise me.

That you won't lay a finger on my little brother! Brother I'll keep my word.

What are you saying Brother? What are you doing? Get out of there?! Get up and run! Stop it Stop it.

Stop it! You bastard!!! That's far enough.

You've made quite a mess of things, Scar.

I'll be taking you into custody under the offense of murdering a series of State Alchemists.

Alchemists are beings who alter the original form of matter.

In other words, an affront to God, the creator of all.

I bring judgment, acting as God's hand.

If you choose to get in my way, I will eliminate you, as well.

Interesting.

I don't want any of you interfering in this.

Colonel Mustang! Mustang The Flame Alchemist.

You came to me to receive judgment, saving me the effort of having to search for you.

What a splendid day! You know my name, yet you're picking a fight with me? What a fool.

What was that for?! Colonel, please stay back.

You're impotent on rainy days, after all.

Oh right, I guess you can't make sparks when it's wet like this.

It's awfully convenient for me if you can't make flames, State Alchemist.

I will destroy all here who interfere with my duty! We'll just see about that! Reinforcements?! You're quite good to be able to dodge my fist.

You said you'd destroy everyone here, no? Then try defeating me, first! The Strong Arm Alchemist, Alex Louis Armstrong!!! One after another This must be divine guidance, as well.

So you won't retreat, huh? To show deference to that courage, I'll show you a skill that has been passed down the Armstrong household for generations Artistic Alchemy! Who is he? He's the one who m*rder*d Mr.

Tucker.

It was him ?! Major! Please try not to destroy too much of the city! What are you saying?! Destruction and creation are like two sides of the same coin! You destroy and create! This, in other words, is the law of the universe! But why naked That logic is crazy But other Alchemists won't find it crazy, though.

Right, Scar? So he's an Alchemist, too I see.

The three transmutation processes in Alchemy are understanding, decomposition, and reconstruction.

But he stops at the point of decomposition.

He's an alchemist, too? Then he is going against "God's path", isn't he?! But why is he only after those who possess a state qualification? Agility that wouldn't be expected from his build and inhuman destructive power.

And on top of that, alchemy He's certainly troublesome, but Now you're stuck! this is when he takes a big swing! Right here! He pulled back?! Did you get him?! He's fast.

Just one hit, a graze.

Brown skin and red eyes?! An Ishbalan?! Looks like I'm surrounded Hey now, don't move- Damn, the bastard escaped into the sewers Don't go after him.

Like I'd go after a dangerous guy like that.

Sorry about that.

You bought enough time for us to surround him, and yet No, I was more concerned with staying alive rather than buying time.

Oh, is it over? Lt.

Colonel Hughes, where have you been? I was taking cover.

Hey! Why didn't you at least give support or something?! Shut up! Don't drag an ordinary guy like me into you nonsensical mutants' all-around freak shows! What are you gazing off into space for?! Don't you guys have work to do?! Emergency deployments within the city! And be sure to whip up a description about the suspect, too! Yes, sir! Alphonse Alphonse! Al! Are you all right?! Hey! So that's Elric's younger brother Looks like they've got their own issues Al! Alphonse! Why didn't you run away when I told you to, you stupid brother! Come on, I couldn't leave you behind and run away! That's exactly why I'm calling you stupid! What?! If I ran away, you might have been k*lled! I might have not been k*lled, too! Only an idiot would choose the path that leads to death! Quit calling your brother an idiot! I'll say it as many times as I want! If you'd lived, continued to live, and survived, and continued to study alchemy, you could have found a way to get your limbs back and maybe discovered how to save people like Nina! I wouldn't be able to forgive you if you chose to die by throwing all of those possibilities away! My arm came off! You stupid brother! We're really torn up, aren't we How uncool.

But we're alive.

Yeah.

We sure are.

This seriously is a special all-around freak show, isn't it.

Sorry for keeping it from you.

No problem, I won't tell the higher-ups.

It'll be somewhat troublesome if they find out, won't it? Yeah We can play off the part about Edward's limbs, but we can't really make up an excuse for the younger one.

But seriously we've got quite the ugly customer coming after us.

An Ishbalan, huh Ishbalans were a tribe of people in the East who worshipped Ishvala as their sole creator and God.

There were a few cases of feuds after we annexed the country, But thirteen years ago when a m*llitary officer mistakenly sh*t and k*lled an Ishbalan child, the situation devolved into a civil w*r.

A riot called forth more riots, and the civil w*r eventually spread throughout all of the east.

The order given from the highest level of our m*llitary after seven years of battle was Ishbalan extermination.

Many State Alchemists were roped in to act as human weapons.

And the State Alchemists brought forth remarkable achievements.

That's why that man, who is a survivor of the Ishbalans, has a legitimate reason for wanting revenge.

Bullshit! There's no legitimacy in revenge that drags in people who have nothing to do with it! All he's doing is sugar-coating an ugly spirit of vengeance by calling himself God's hand and pretending to be all noble! But the hard truth is he's hostile toward us.

And we can't die, either.

The next time we see him, we'll crush him without any questions asked.

Yes, sir! Ed, Al, what do you two plan on doing now? We're going to move forward again.

We can't come to a stop as long as we're alive, after all! Brother First off, I need to get my arm fixed in order to get your body back to normal.

Since I'm the only one who knows how to affix a soul to an armor.

You're right about that! Guess we've got no choice.

What do you say we go and visit our mechanic? We haven't shown our faces there in a while.

Winry's smile greets Ed and Al, who return to Resembool to rest their battle-wounded bodies.

On the other hand, a philosopher's stone appears before them, shrouded in a deep mystery.

Next time, Fullmetal Alchemist: Episode 6, The Road of Hope.

The wind blows through the hill in the sunset.

What does it bring the boy?