01x20 - Father Before the Grave

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood". Aired: April 5, 2009 – July 4, 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Japanese anime follows two brothers searching for the Philsopher's Stone, hoping to restore their bodies.

01x20 - Father Before the Grave

Post by bunniefuu »

Edward, huh? You've grown.

I heard from Pinako that you attempted human transmutation.

After all this time, why did you come back now?! There's no place for you here anymore! Oh, right.

Why did you burn down my house? We decided we wouldn't turn back anymore.

We did it to show our determination- That's not it.

You just didn't want to see it again.

You wanted to escape your horrifying memories.

You wanted to conceal all traces of the sin you committed.

That's not true! You're no different from a child who hides his sheets after wetting himself in his sleep.

You ran, didn't you, Edward? What do you know?! Damn it! You're sickening! He's so similar to the way I was when I was young.

You haven't changed at all.

Not even a bit from the old days.

Why didn't you come back sooner? Trisha was always waiting for you.

Pinako.

Hm? The thing my sons transmuted Was it really Trisha? What? I told you.

It didn't even look remotely human.

I can't even call that thing Trisha- No, that's not what I mean.

For example, the color of her eyes and hair.

What do you mean? You're telling me that wasn't her? You're telling me those boys lost their bodies by creating something that wasn't even their mother? What?! You can continue to function without food or sleep?! Yup, as long as this seal remains unscathed.

That's amazing! You're literally immortal! That's not true.

My body is almost like a b*mb.

I heard it from Barry.

It's impossible to place a soul that doesn't belong on a body.

If you force a soul on to one, it will eventually be rejected.

Whether that will be tomorrow or ten years later even I don't know.

No way then you have to find a way to get your body back as soon as possible! Wait, if your body starts to deteriorate, can't you transfer your soul on to something else and continue to live? If you do that, you can stay the way you are.

Without feeling pain or needing to eat! What a convenient body! Of course it's not convenient! You don't even know anything! Sorry.

Winry! Winry? I'm coming in.

Geez You and Brother always get mad before I ever can, so I never get to.

It's because.

It seems this body can't sleep Al You'll be able to return to your old body, right? Right? Give me back my brother's body! He's He's the only family I've got!!! Give it back? What are you talking about? You're the one who put your brother in that state.

Alchemist.

That's right.

You and I are the same.

Edward Elric! And Edward don't leave me like this Ed! You still asleep? Your dad's about to leave.

Can I take this? It's the only one that has all four of us.

Help yourself.

Thanks.

As a token of my gratitude, I'll tell you something.

Something terrible will happen in this country soon.

Flee to another country.

That's not uncommon here.

And besides, there are kids who call this place home.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Hohenheim.

Come back every now and then for a meal, won't you? It's a shame, Pinako, that I won't be able to eat your cooking anymore.

Are you really going to dig that thing up? Want to call it off? No, it's just that my joints are starting to hurt.

Probably because it's about to rain.

Let's get this over with.

Ed! I told you so! Let's stop this.

No If I don't confirm it, I'll never be able to move forward.

Also You ran, didn't you? No way in hell am I going to run! Granny.

Mom had auburn hair.

This is black.

The femur is way too long.

The pelvis This is a man.

Granny.

Ed.

This is not your mother.

That's right.

You cannot revive the dead.

That's a truth.

It was impossible from the very beginning.

Ed, pull yourself together! Snap out of it! I'm fine, Granny Since that day, this has been the symbol of despair.

But now, it will lead me to a path with hope.

Al can get his body back.

Hello, you've reached the Curtis'.

Oh, it's you, Ed.

What is it? Umm There was something I wanted to ask you Well What's wrong? Speak clearly.

It's about the time you tried to revive your baby What about it? Master, the person Al and I transmuted was not our mother.

What do you mean? What are you trying to say?! The child that was created by your transmutation Are you sure it was your child? I see So my son and his wife helped a lot on the b*ttlefield, eh? Good to know He Where did Hohenheim say he was headed? Who knows? He didn't mention a word about it.

Oh, I completely forgot! I had an important message for him.

Message? Yeah.

Trisha's will.

Could you pass this on to him when he comes back? Please tell him I couldn't keep my promise.

That I have to leave him first, and that I'm sorry.

A promise? What promise? No idea.

Sorry to make you do this, but could you tell him for me if you see him? Why do I have to do it?! He may not look it, but he's actually quite worried about you two.

I'll deliver the message after I give him a good punch in the face.

Are you going back to Central? Yeah, just to get yelled at by Al, since I went and did a bunch of stuff without telling him.

What the hell is this?! I'm sorry.

Y-You You're in ruins! And What the hell are you guys doing?! Eating.

Geez, just what happened to you?! Homunculi and Barry the Chopper? And on top of it all, a rejection reaction due to different souls and bodies, huh Stretching the armor that's left Al will be able to return to his old body, right? Of course.

If I say I'll get his body back, I will.

Al I dug up the thing we transmuted back in Resembool.

W-Why did you do something like that?! As a result, I discovered that what we transmuted wasn't Mom.

What? What does this mean? But we We transmuted something completely different.

No way! Then I And now, I'm also confident we can get your body back.

Really?! Yeah.

But before I get into that Y-You remember the time we fought over who'd be m-marrying W-Winry right? The thing we talked about up on the roof? Yeah.

So you turned Al down? Yeah.

I did.

And so, I have a question for you two.

Why did you turn him down? "I don't want to marry a guy who's shorter than me.

" Don't decide a man's worth by his height!!! Huh? Does this have anything to do with getting Al's body back? To sum it up, if Al knows something I don't, and Winry remembers the same thing, too it really happened.

Since he remembers something that really happened, it means the soul affixed to that armor is the real Al's.

Even though I could only get your soul, I was able to pull you back from that gate.

If I could pull your soul from the gate, then I should be able to get your body back the same way.

Separated from each other, the body and soul still exist.

Barry the Chopper! Al, try to remember.

The time you were dragged into the truth.

That time That was me! I was there! That's right.

So all I have to do is pull your body out like I did with your soul! Brother! I was watching you from that thing's point of view! So it was you inside that thing? The soul probably didn't affix due to the rejection reaction.

So we didn't damage anyone's soul Sir Elric.

Miss Izumi Curtis is on the line.

I looked into the family lineages of both my husband and me.

As a result, the skin and hair color of that child cannot possibly have come from the two of us.

You were able to find something out, weren't you? Yes.

Confidence that I'll be able to get Al's body back It's impossible to revive the dead.

I see It wasn't that I was missing something but rather it was impossible from the very beginning.

Ed.

Yes, ma'am! Thank you.

What did the master say? I don't really get it, but she thanked me.

Al? To be honest, I've been blaming myself nonstop since that day.

That it was me who put Mom in that state and k*lled her.

Same goes for me, Al.

Thank you, Brother I didn't k*ll Mom! Izumi.

I feel saved.

I didn't k*ll our child twice But it's true that I put you in that state.

I'm going to get your body back, no matter what- Brother! We carry the same sin, since I approved of the plan.

Please don't talk as though it's all your fault.

Trying to do everything by yourself I'm tired of other people having to suffer because of me! Same with Mr.

Hughes, too! When I heard about his death I felt from the bottom of my heart I didn't want to return to my body if other people would have to suffer.

Brother even if they don't have the body of humans I've been watching people who live according to the way they are.

Even if I'm in this state, people around me interact with me as though I'm human.

I know my body's like a b*mb, but even a body made of flesh could die from accident or disease at any time.

So in order to live a normal life, this body isn't all that inconvenient either.

I've truly started to feel that way.

But I can't stand it any longer.

I'm I'm tired of spending nights by myself! That's my reason for wanting to return to my old body.

Yeah, I'll make it happen.

After I b*at the sh*t out of that "truth" guy, I'm going to drag your body out of there! Yeah! Huh? Has he always had such a large back? The figure of a wounded comrade hurries the man's steps, and the boy risks everything he has to escape a dead end.

Next time, Fullmetal Alchemist: Episode 21, The Fool's Progress.

You shall be the one to open fire.