01x38 - With the River's Flow

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Fullmetal Alchemist". Aired: October 4, 2003 - October 2, 2004.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Anime series set in a fictional universe in which alchemy is one of the most advanced scientific techniques, the story follows two brothers who want to recover parts of their bodies lost in an attempt to bring their mother back to life.

01x38 - With the River's Flow

Post by bunniefuu »

Hughes-san I'm here again.

For crying out loud, be more thorough when you rebuild these things, would you Winry? Now what do we do? There's still a good distance to go before we reach Ishbal.

What do we do? All we can do is walk.

We can't! I might be all right, but Brother, it's going to wear you out.

Then what would you rather do!? There aren't any tracks into Ishbal, all the usual roads have been closed down, and we can't very well get the m*llitary to send us there anymore.

You are right about that Let's just keep going.

If we just stand around here, Ishbal isn't very well going to come to us.

Brother! Geez, why is he always so haphazard? Man cannot obtain anything without first sacrificing something.

In order to obtain anything, something of equal value is required.

That is alchemy's Law of Equivalent Exchange.

At the time, we believed that to be the true way of the world.

There, you see? We somehow managed to make it! Somehow made it? We just arrived at some town, right? In a town this size, we'll be able to procure a car and anything else we need.

We can't! We're kids, after all! There's no way we'll be able to get someone to sell us a car.

Well, it's all going to turn out.

Brother, why are you always like that!? Think ahead a little, would you? I'am thinking ahead.

You are not! Such as what we're about to do What? Are you sure it's the right thing to do? I understand how you feel about wanting to stop Scar-san, but the goal of our journey is to get our original bodies back, right? Well then Well then, what would you have us do? I don't know.

But maybe we should do something about the Homunculi before dealing with Scar-san.

Al! Do you even realize what you're saying!? All I'm saying is that maybe there are other ways to go about this.

I don't know what you mean! In any case, I'm saying that you have to think harder about this! Shut up! You think harder about it! W-What are you doing!? Ha! That's what you get for talking too much.

You're awful! If that's how you want it, I'll show you! You're the one who needs to cool his head, Brother! Now you've done it! Take that! Geez, what are you doing!? Damn it! Why, you! Why you little! Brother, why are you always like that!? Why are you so stubborn!? I am not either stubborn! Yes you are! Brother, if you'd act more accommodating, maybe we could discuss this with Dad or something.

Don't be ridiculous! No matter what happens, I'll never ask for his help! That's you being stubborn! Shut up! Suit yourself! Come on, Brother! Brother, I say! I haven't seen you in a while, huh? Um Book Book-bull I mean, Bookworm-san It's Sheska.

Right.

Um, Winwin-san It's Winry.

Sorry.

- Um - Um Yes? What is it? No, you go first.

Well The truth is, there's something I'd like to discuss with you.

With me? I've been investigating for a long time about why Lt.

Col I mean, Brig.

Gen.

Hughes had to die.

Lt.

Col I mean, Brig.

Gen.

Hughes Er why don't we just call him Hughes-san? Ah, okay.

So? It's strange.

Strange? The more I look into it, the more strange things keep turning up.

I don't know what I should do about it.

Why are you telling me this? I can't trust anyone in the m*llitary.

Not even Col.

Mustang.

Please! I can't take this anymore! If I don't tell someone, I'll I'll All right! All right, okay? Calm down.

Thank you! Sheesh, what's his deal!? You gotta be kidding me.

Al, pass the salt.

Damn These are the materials that Hughes-san had me bring together and copy down.

And these are the materials I used to reference them, which I've collected on my own.

Uh you're not saying you want me to read all of this, right? Is that okay? That's absolutely impossible! How many months do you think that would take!? Is that right? In that case, allow me It started with the accident that collapsed the 5th Laboratory.

There aren't any records, so there's no way for me to know what was happening in the shadows.

However, that's where Hughes-san's investigation began.

Then Yes? What did you find out? Right.

Hughes-san was investigating the Ishbal? This is just my conjecture, but I think that Hughes-san discovered an important secret that he wasn't supposed to know, and He was k*lled? Ah, okay! I get it! Don't cry! Brother, you dummy Al! Do you even realize what you're saying!? Yes, I do! I know at least that she is ahead of us.

Brother!? Geez, where did you go Martel-san! Long time no see.

As I was looking through this material, I kept running into a certain person's name.

What person? Capt.

Juliet Douglas, the woman they say was the trigger for the Ishbalan rebellion.

But something is strange about that.

She d*ed in an accident two years before the Ishbalan rebellion.

Can I have you look at this? W-What is this? It was in Hughes-san's files.

He sent away to her hometown for it.

The year she d*ed is two years before the Ishbalan rebellion, all right, but it's just some kind of error, right? Some mistake in the records, or someone with the same name, or something.

There are no mistakes in the government records, or in the m*llitary records.

What's more What's more? She's still in the m*llitary.

Please look at this.

What's going on here? According to the grave record, she d*ed two years before the Ishbalan rebellion.

However, according to the m*llitary materials, she fought in the w*r against Ishbal, without her name being cleared from the enlistment rolls, and currently, she has been promoted to the Fuhrer's secretary.

That's strange, isn't it? Someone who is supposed to be dead is the Fuhrer's secretary? That's not all, either.

There's more!? If she really is alive, then at the very least, she has to be in her fifties.

But right now, the Juliet-san that is serving as the Fuhrer's secretary has to be in her mid-thirties, any way you look at it! She d*ed, but she's not dead! She doesn't age, either! Who on earth is this woman? These are all things that I could not explain, but after I became desperate, and thought about it all, I arrived at a certain hypothesis.

Hypothesis? If my hypothesis is right, then all of the inconsistencies are swept away.

Juliet Douglas-san is an alien.

No, I don't think so.

Not a chance.

Then, what else could it be? I-I don't know.

But if we continue to investigate this, we'll find out who it was that k*lled Hughes-san, right? But how do we do that? I am a soldier for the time being, but I'm a records clerk, and with Juliet-san being with the Fuhrer, I can't very well get too close to her.

I can't investigate what she's up to.

In that case, what if we were to wiretap her line, to find out more about her? Wiretap!? That's the thing that wives do to get evidence on their husbands when they are going through a divorce, right? I don't know if I can do that Sure you can! Let's wiretap! Martel-san, what are you doing here? I followed you.

I wanted you to tell me about your enemies.

Enemies? Those guys that dress all in black.

What are you going to do to them once you know? That's obvious.

Take my revenge.

I'm sorry about my uniform.

When all you do is heavy labor, your arms do tend to thicken up, huh? Maybe I should go on a diet or something.

As far as that matter goes, I'll make out the report.

Is something the matter? No.

Were those two people earlier somebody you know? Yeah, from before.

This is it.

The telephone lines should all be concentrated in this facility.

But there are so many locks on it, and there must be some secure alarm devices, too.

It won't be all that easy to slip in there It's open.

This much was easy, easy! A-Amazing Come on, let's go.

So, where is her room? The central hall, number 103.

Here it is.

All right, we're okay.

Now we just have to wait.

You're wrong! If you do this, then it won't mean anything for Greed-san, Roa-san and the others to have protected you, Martel-san! You know about me, right? I am a Chimera.

I can't go on living as a regular person anymore.

I've lost my friends, Greed-san, and the only place where I could have lived.

But you can't take revenge because of it! It won't do any good trying to stop me.

I'm half snake now, so my vindictiveness runs deep.

You just can't do that.

She reminds me of Scar-san There isn't anything left for me.

And those guys are your enemies, aren't they? In that case, I'll take care of them.

I don't plan on assisting you in your revenge, nor do I intend to let you take it.

Why not!? Because I'm sure that's what Roa-san and the others were thinking.

See you around.

That's right.

That's why I have to stop them- both Scar-san and Martel-san.

Hey, Al! It's no easy task finding him.

Edward! Hey, Edward! I can't find Alphonse anywhere.

Did something happen? How should I know about him? Fighting again? It's his fault.

He keeps pestering me about when Dad is coming home.

That is a problem.

I wonder where Alphonse could have gone.

I just don't know where he could be.

Why should I have to go? Come on, let's go.

Yes, Fuhrer's Office.

communication coming in on a public line.

Their code is zero, eigh- two Please put it through.

Here it comes! Here it comes! Hey, it's me.

Envy, using regular phone lines is supposed to be forbidden except in cases of emergency.

Don't be so strict.

You're the one who said to report in, aren't you? I'm almost there, in the north.

It's so quiet here.

If things stay this calm, then I might have to You will faithfully carry out your task.

What is this? Envy? Envy is one of those Homunculi that Ed was talking about I'm hanging up.

It sounds like I've got one more job to take care of.

Why don't we get out of here now? Yeah, okay.

Um, about that conversation just now, what in the world were they talking about? Search me.

But somehow, it seemed like they were talking about something dangerous.

It looks like it's going to take a lot more time to gather any evidence.

Even by trying wiretapping and such, it's not going to be all that easy, huh? What's wrong? Let's get out of here! Hurry! Right! What is that thing!? How should I know!? Uh, what's the matter? That girl! That girl! The exit! Winry-san! Their mother? Ed and Al's mother? Winry-chan? So it was you, Winry-chan! What are you doing in a place like this? We're saved! She's an alien, all right! - Alien? - Alien? Come on, let's go.

Brother We're going to Ishbal.

Let's stop Scar-san.

How did you know I would be there? You haven't changed.

You always used to sulk down by the riverside whenever we got into a fight, you know.

I guess so.

What do we do now? Not much we can do, except walk.

Want to hop on? Martel-san! Al, you know her? Yeah.

Okay, we'll take you up on that, if you'd be so kind.

Hold on, Brother! Where's the harm? We've got to help each other out when we're in trouble, right? I'm going to make sure I stop you.

All right then, we're off! Right! Something wrong? Mm-mm.

Brother, do you remember? The first time we ever got into a fight? Oh, you mean the time you tossed me around, Al.

That was the first time I ever went down to the riverside.

Is that right? That's right.

When we were at Sensei's place, you'd disappear right after we'd fight, too.

Thanks to you, I had to work for both of us.

We even fought over which one of us was going to marry Winry, huh? We argued about that? Yes, we did! Fullmetal Alchemist! Episode 39: "Civil w*r in the East" The place that Scar has chosen is a city that we will never forget.

The name of that city is Liore.