07x22 - Chosen

Episode transcripts for this TV show, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Aired March 1997 - May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A young girl, destined to slay vampires, demons and other infernal creatures, deals with her life fighting evil, with the help of her friends.

07x22 - Chosen

Post by bunniefuu »

Trailer

GILES (V.O.)

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

1 INT. CHAPEL AT CEMETERY - NIGHT

There is a large, simple, gothic crucifix at the front of the chapel that can be seen by looking directly down the central aisle. Spike embraces the crucifix, resting one arm over each side of the cross bar, and resting his head in the corner of the vertex. His body is sizzling and smoke is rising from where it touches the cross. A close-up of Buffy's face shows that she is crying now. From where she stands, Spike's exhausted body hanging limply on the cross resembles Jesus (except the view is of Spike's back).

Cut to:

2 INT. STRANGER'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Buffy is sitting on the edge of the bed. Spike is in front of her.

SPIKE

(kneels in front of her; looks into her eyes) And there's only one thing I've ever been sure of: you.

Spike sits on the bed beside Buffy and puts his arm around her. She curls up on him, cuddling up to his chest as he puts his arm around her shoulder, holding her head with his hand.

SPIKE (V.O.)

You're the one, Buffy.

Cut to:

3 EXT. FOREST - NIGHT

Buffy and Faith are following a Bringer, chatting as they go.

FAITH

Trying to turn a bunch of little girls into an army...

Cut to:

3a EXT. BACKYARD AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Pan out to show that the potential slayers are training in the backyard, being led by Kennedy.

POTENTIALS

Huh!

Cut to:

BUFFY

They're potential slayers.

Cut to:

4 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Anya's talking to the g*ng.

ANYA

But we're dealing with a Big Bad that can be any dead person it wants.

Cut to:

5 INT. XANDER'S CAR - NIGHT

Xander is driving, and Dawn is unconscious in the seat beside him. She breathes and moves a little.

DAWN

(looks around) Where are we going?

Xander hands Dawn a letter. Dawn opens the letter and starts reading.

BUFFY (V.O.)

Dearest Dawn, don't be angry with Xander. This isn't the place for either of you.—

Without letting Xander see it, Dawn puts a stun g*n up to Xander's neck and presses the button, zapping Xander and knocking him out.

Cut to:

6 INT. PYRAMIDAL TOMB - NIGHT

Buffy walks down into the tomb. It's lit inside, although dimly, by torches, giving it an orange hue. Buffy looks around cautiously. Buffy sees a very old woman with long white hair standing before her.

WOMAN

(admires the scythe) A scythe. Forged in secrecy for one like you.

BUFFY

Does this mean I can win?

The woman's head cocks slightly to the side, and a cracking noise can be heard. The woman falls to the ground. Buffy looks up and sees Caleb standing there. Caleb picks up the scythe.

CALEB

I was kind of hoping it'd go this way. (rears back with the scythe)

MAN (O.S.)

Hey! (punches Caleb, knocking him down)

Buffy looks up to see that it's Angel standing there having knocked Caleb down. Buffy swings the scythe at Caleb, slicing his stomach. He stumbles back, laughs heartily, wags his finger at her, and falls to the floor.

ANGEL

At least you could tell me you're glad to see me. (walks toward Buffy)

Buffy drops the scythe to the floor and walks up to Angel, pressing herself against his body and kisses him deeply on the lips.

Pan over to show Spike is in the tomb as well, hiding behind the pillar, watching them. Buffy/First is beside him, whispering in his ear.

BUFFY/FIRST

That bitch.

End Recap.

The Start Of Episode PROLOGUE:

7 INT. PYRAMIDAL TOMB - NIGHT

Resume. Angel and Buffy are kissing inside the tomb as Spike looks on from the shadows.

ANGEL

(pulls back from the kiss) Well, I guess that qualifies as "happy to see me."

BUFFY

(looks into Angel's eyes, smiling) Angel, what are you doing— (shakes her head) Don't even. I just want to bask. (looks into Angel's eyes, smiling, for a few seconds, then snaps out of it) OK, I'm basked. What are you doing here?

ANGEL

Not saving the damsel in distress, that's for sure.

BUFFY

Oh, you know me. (picks up scythe) Not much with the damseling.

ANGEL

Got your share of distress, though. (walks to the wall)

BUFFY

You heard?

ANGEL

(picks up a file folder from a bench by the wall) I got coverage on the whole thing. It's very gripping. It needs a third act.

BUFFY

(shakes her head at him) You have to leave L.A.

ANGEL

It's the First, right? The First evil. The power that tried to convince me to k*ll myself.

BUFFY

Yeah. It's gotten a little more ambitious since then. It's raising an army.

ANGEL

Yeah, well, it failed once, and I'm here to tell you—

Caleb stands up behind Angel and knocks Angel down by hitting him with a cat statue, sending him across the floor. Caleb walks up to Buffy, black blood streaming from his eyes and nose.

CALEB

Are you ready to finish this, bitch?!

Cut to:

Opening Credits.

ACT I:

8 INT. PYRAMIDAL TOMB - NIGHT

Resume. Caleb, who's still holding his cat statue, has just confronted Buffy in the tomb after having knocked Angel out.

Caleb swings the cat statue at Buffy, but she blocks with the scythe and then falls to the ground. She swings at him with the scythe, but he blocks with the cat statue. Caleb knocks Buffy to the ground, then throws the cat statue at Buffy. Buffy stands, holding the scythe.

BUFFY

(breathing hard) OK...how many times do I have to k*ll you? Ballpark figure.

CALEB

You understand nothing.

Buffy swings at Caleb, but he grabs the scythe, holding it still, and punches Buffy in the face twice. He lifts Buffy in the air, pressing her back against the low ceiling. Buffy struggles, and Caleb finally lets her fall to the floor. He walks up to her slowly, then picks her up by her lapels.

CALEB

(through gritted teeth) You think you have power over me?

Buffy breaks free of his grip and kicks him, knocking him down to the floor.

CALEB

Stupid girl. (stands) You'll never stop me. You don't have the ba—

While Caleb gets to his feet, Buffy twirls the scythe and swings it up between his legs. Caleb's eyes go wide.

BUFFY

Who does nowadays?

Caleb looks down incredulously at the scythe lodged in his body between his legs. Buffy swiftly pushes the scythe up through his body.

ANGEL

(lying on the floor, regains consciousness and stands, angrily) OK, now I'm pissed. Where is he?

BUFFY

(looks to her right, then to her left, then at Angel) He had to split. (giggles devilishly)

BUFFY/FIRST

(whispering to Spike, who's still watching Buffy from the shadows) Yeah, she needs you real bad.

Angel picks up the folder again and brings it to Buffy.

BUFFY

I'll have the guys go through that. See if there's anything new. Reliable source?

ANGEL

Not remotely.

BUFFY

Mm, any port in an apocalypse.

ANGEL

I, uh, brought something else as well.

Angel takes an amulet out of his pocket and holds it up for Buffy to see. It's a 2-inch diameter round crystal pendant in a silver starburst setting hung from a coarse silver chain.

BUFFY

(shakes her head) I can already tell you, I have nothing that goes with that.

ANGEL

It's not for you.

BUFFY

Splainy?

ANGEL

I don't know everything. It's very powerful and probably very dangerous. It has a purifying power, a cleansing power, possibly scrubbing bubbles. The translation is, uh—anyway, it bestows strength to the right person who wears it.

BUFFY

And the right person is?

ANGEL

Someone ensouled, but stronger than human. A champion. As in me.

BUFFY

Or me.

ANGEL

No. I don't know nearly enough about this to risk you wearing it. Besides, you got that real cool axe-thing going for you.

Spike walks out the back without being noticed.

BUFFY

So you're gonna be with me in this.

ANGEL

Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours.

BUFFY

No.

ANGEL

No, what?

BUFFY

No. You're not gonna be in this fight. (walks away)

ANGEL

(cuts her off) Why the hell not?

BUFFY

'Cause I can't risk you.

ANGEL

You need me in this.

BUFFY

No, I need you gone.

ANGEL

Why?

BUFFY

If I lose, if this thing gets past Sunnydale, then it's days—maybe hours—before the rest of the world goes. I need a second front, and I need you to run it.

ANGEL

OK... (crosses his arms) that's one reason. What's the other?

BUFFY

(walks out of the tomb) There is no other.

Cut to:

9 EXT. PYRAMIDAL TOMB - NIGHT

Buffy walks out of the tomb. Angel follows her.

ANGEL

Is it Spike? (Buffy stops walking, turns to face Angel) You're not telling me something. And his scent, I remember it pretty well.

BUFFY

You vampires. Did anybody ever tell you the whole smelling people thing's a little gross? (walks away)

ANGEL

(follows) Is he your boyfriend?

BUFFY

Is that your business?

ANGEL

You in love with him? OK, maybe I'm outta line, but this is kind of a curve ball for me. I mean, we are talking about Spike here.

BUFFY

It's different. He's different. He has a soul now.

ANGEL

(stops) Oh. (looks up) Well.

BUFFY

What?

ANGEL

That's great. (mumbling to himself) Everyone's got a soul now.

BUFFY

He'll make a difference.

ANGEL

(mumbling) You know, I started it. The whole having a soul. Before it was all the cool new thing.

BUFFY

Oh, my God. Are you 12?

ANGEL

I'm getting the brush off for Captain Peroxide. It doesn't necessarily bring out the champion in me.

BUFFY

You're not getting the brush off. Are you just gonna come here and go all Dawson on me every time I have a boyfriend?

ANGEL

Aha! (points) Boyfriend!

BUFFY

He's not. But...he is in my heart.

ANGEL

That'll end well. (walks away, leans on a tombstone)

BUFFY

What was the highlight of our relationship? When you broke up with me or when I k*lled you? I'm well aware of my stellar history with guys... (sighs, leans beside Angel) And, no, I don't see fat grandchildren in the offing with Spike, but I don't think that really matters right now. (chuckles) You know, in the midst of all this insanity, a couple things are actually starting to make sense. And the guy thing— (sighs) I always feared there was something wrong with me, you know, because I couldn't make it work. But maybe I'm not supposed to.

ANGEL

Because you're the slayer?

BUFFY

(looks at Angel) Because—OK, I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking. I'm not finished becoming whoever the hell it is I'm gonna turn out to be. I make it through this, and the next thing, and the next thing, and maybe one day I turn around and realize I'm ready. I'm cookies. And then, you know, if I want someone to eat— (eyes go wide as she catches herself) or enjoy warm, delicious cookie me, then...that's fine. That'll be then. When I'm done.

ANGEL

Any thoughts on who might enjoy— (sighs, irritated) Do I have to go with the cookie analogy?

BUFFY

I'm not really thinking that far ahead. That's kind of the point.

ANGEL

(hands the amulet to Buffy) I'll go start working on the second front. Make sure I don't have to use it. (walks away)

BUFFY

(calls after him) Angel. (he turns to look at her) I do... sometimes think that far ahead.

ANGEL

Sometimes is something. (smiles, walks away)

BUFFY

Be a long time coming. Years, if ever.

ANGEL

(shrugs) I ain't getting any older. (walks away)

Cut to:

10 INT. DINING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Dawn is waiting by the front door when Buffy walks in. Buffy's surprised to see her. Dawn kicks Buffy in the shin.

BUFFY

Ow.

DAWN

Dumbass.

Buffy looks over at Xander, who's in the dining room with Anya, Giles, and Willow.

XANDER

Don't look at me. This is a Summers' thing. It's all very violent.

BUFFY

(looks at Dawn) If you get k*lled, I'm telling. (walks into the dining room; Dawn follows)

WILLOW

Did you find out anything about the scythe?

BUFFY

It slices, dices, and makes julienne preacher.

GILES

Caleb?

BUFFY

I cut him in half.

WILLOW

All right!

ANYA

He had that coming.

XANDER

Hey, party in my eye socket and everyone's invited. (everyone stares at Xander) Sometimes I shouldn't say words.

Cut to:

11 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Spike is in the basement punching a punching bag when Buffy walks down the stairs.

SPIKE

So...where's tall, dark and forehead?

BUFFY

(rolls her eyes) Let me guess. You can smell him.

SPIKE

Yeah, that and I also used my enhanced vampire eyeballs to watch you kissing him.

BUFFY

(awkwardly) It was...a hello.

SPIKE

Most people don't use their tongues to say hello. Or I guess they do, but—

BUFFY

There were no tongues. Besides, he's gone.

SPIKE

Oh, just popped by for a quickie, then?

BUFFY

(walks away) Good, good. I haven't had quite enough jealous vampire crap for one night.

SPIKE

He wears lifts, you know.

Buffy looks over at the punching bag that Spike was hitting and sees something has been taped to it: a sketch drawn in black marker on white paper, shows hair that sticks straight up, X's for eyes and fangs on the frowny face. Buffy rolls her eyes at the representation of Angel.

BUFFY

You know, one of these days I'm just gonna put you 2 in a room and let you wrestle it out.

SPIKE

(rifling through an empty cigarette package) No problem at this end. (throws the package away in disgust)

BUFFY

(her eyes widen with excitement) There could be oil of some kind involved.

SPIKE

(walks up to Buffy) Where's the trinket?

BUFFY

The who-ket?

SPIKE

The pretty necklace your sweetie-bear gave you. The one with all the power. I believe it's mine now.

BUFFY

How do you figure?

SPIKE

Someone with a soul, but more than human? Angel meant to wear it, that means I'm the qualified party. (holds out his hands)

BUFFY

It's volatile. We don't know—

SPIKE

You'll be needing someone strong to bear it, then. You planning on giving it to Andrew?

BUFFY

(looks at the amulet, then at Spike) Angel said the amulet was meant to be worn by a champion.

Spike looks down, disappointed, but Buffy walks forward and hands it to him.

SPIKE

Been called a lot of things in my time.

BUFFY

(coyly) Faith still has my room.

SPIKE

Well, you're not staying here. You can't buy me off with shiny beads and sweet talk. You got Angel breath. I'm not gonna just let you whack me back and forth like a rubber ball. I've got my pride, you know.

BUFFY

I understand. (turns to walk away)

SPIKE

(cuts her off) Clearly you don't, 'cause the whole "having my pride" thing was just a smokescreen.

BUFFY

(sighs with relief) Oh, thank God.

SPIKE

I don't know what I would have done if you'd have gone up those stairs.

Later, Buffy and Spike are lying together on the cot, fully clothed. Spike has his arm around Buffy and she fondles his hand. He rolls over, removing his arm from her, and she sits up. She stands and paces around the basement. She is looking out the window, staring at the night sky when Caleb/First appears.

CALEB/FIRST

Pretty, ain't it?

BUFFY

You're not him.

CALEB/FIRST

No, you k*lled him right and proper. Terrible loss. This man was my good right arm. 'Course, it don't pain me too much. Don't need an arm. Got an army.

BUFFY

An army of vampires. However will I fight—

CALEB/FIRST

Every day our numbers swell. But then you do have an army of your own. Some thirty-odd pimply-faced girls, don't know the pointy end of a stake. (feigns concern) Maybe I should call this off.

BUFFY

Have you ever considered a cool name? I mean, since you're incorporeal and basically powerless. How about "The Taunter?" Strikes fear in the heart—

CALEB/FIRST

I will overrun this Earth. And when my army outnumbers the humans on this Earth, the scales will tip and I will be made flesh.

BUFFY

Talk on. I'm not afraid of you.

CALEB/FIRST

(rolls eyes) Then why aren't you asleep in your dead lover's arms? (looks over at Spike) 'Cause he can't help you. Nor Faith, nor your friends, certainly not your wanna-slay brigade. None of those girlies will ever know real power unless you're dead. You know the drill: (morphs into Buffy's form)

BUFFY/FIRST

Into every generation, a slayer is born. One girl in all the world. She alone will have the strength and skill to— There's that word again. What you are. How you'll die. Alone. Where's your snappy comeback?

BUFFY

You're right.

BUFFY/FIRST

Hmm. Not your best.

SPIKE

(talking in his sleep) I'm drowning in footwear! (sits up with a start; Buffy turns to look at him and Buffy/First disappears) Weird dream. (notices Buffy standing in the middle of the room) Buffy? Is something wrong?

BUFFY

No. Yeah. I just realized something. Something that really never occurred to me before. We're gonna win.

Fade to black.

ACT II:

12 INT. BUFFY'S ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Close-up of Dawn, Xander, Anya, and Willow staring incredulously at Buffy. Pan out to show that we were seeing their reflection in the mirror beside Buffy. Buffy's looking at all of them.

BUFFY

What do you think?

XANDER

That depends. Are you in any way...kidding?

BUFFY

You don't think it's a good idea?

FAITH

(standing on the opposite side of the mirror from Buffy) It's pretty radical, B.

GILES

(sitting by the window) It's a lot more than that. (stands) Buffy, what you said, it—it flies in the face of everything we've ever—every generation has ever done in the fight against evil. (smiles) I think it's bloody brilliant.

BUFFY

You mean that?

GILES

If you want my opinion.

BUFFY

I really do.

WILLOW

Whoa, hey. Not to poop on the party here, but I'm the guy that's gonna have to pull this thing off.

FAITH

It is beaucoup d'mojo.

WILLOW

This goes beyond anything I've ever done. It's a total loss of control, and not in a nice, wholesome, my girlfriend has a pierced tongue kind of way.

Dawn looks at Willow. Giles looks away.

BUFFY

I wouldn't ask if I didn't think you could do it.

WILLOW

I—I'm not sure that I'm stable enough.

GILES

You can do this, Willow. We'll get the coven on the line, and we'll find out how they can help.

DAWN

Oh! (nods) "Pierced tongue."

BUFFY

(panicky) Dawn needs to do a research thing.

GILES

(quickly) Yes, you do.

DAWN

(rolls her eyes) It's cool. (stands, walks out) Watcher junior to the library.

GILES

I'll go dig up my sources. Quite literally, actually. (walks out of the room)

ANYA

(to Xander) Come on, let's go assemble the cannon fodder.

XANDER

That's not what we're calling them, sweetie. (walks out)

ANYA

(walks out) Not to their faces. What, am I insensitive?

Buffy hands the scythe over to Willow. Faith is standing beside Buffy.

Cut to:

13 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Buffy addresses a room full of potentials and her friends.

BUFFY

I hate this. I hate being here. I hate that you have to be here. I hate that there's evil, and that I was chosen to fight it. I wish, a whole lot of the time, that I hadn't been. I know a lot of you wish I hadn't been either. (Kennedy and Rona look away) But this isn't about wishes. This is about choices. I believe we can b*at this evil. Not when it comes, not when its army is ready, now. Tomorrow morning I'm opening the seal. I'm going down into the hellmouth, and I'm finishing this once and for all. Right now you're asking yourself, "what makes this different? What makes us anything more than a bunch of girls being picked off one by one?" It's true none of you have the power that Faith and I do. So here's the part where you make a choice.

Cut to:

14 INT. BASEMENT AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Faith and Robin Wood are moving furniture around.

ROBIN

It's one hell of a risky idea.

FAITH

Buffy's wacky that way.

ROBIN

Yeah. There's one more vent right by the stairs. We block that, they got no sewer access, should drive them straight up into the school proper.

FAITH

That's assuming they get past us.

ROBIN

Which, no offense, I am.

FAITH

Come on, you gotta have a little Faith.

ROBIN

(under his breath) I think I've had my share, thanks.

FAITH

Well, I trundled right into that one, didn't I? Look, I'm sorry if it seemed like I was blowing you off the other day. I was just trying to, you know, blow you off.

ROBIN

Yeah, you know what, I figured that one out all by myself.

FAITH

It's nothing personal. It's just after I get bouncy with a guy, there's not that much more I need to know about him.

ROBIN

That's bleak.

FAITH

Way of the world.

ROBIN

That's good to know 'cause for a second there I thought it was more defensive, isolationist slayer crap.

FAITH

(laughs) And he comes out swinging.

ROBIN

Faith, there's a whole world out there that you don't even know about, and a lot of the men in it are pretty decent guys. They'd surprise you.

FAITH

(shrugs) Guy looks at me, let's just say his priorities shift.

ROBIN

Why, because you're so hot?

FAITH

It's what it is, yo.

ROBIN

Oh, please. I am so much prettier than you are. (Faith seems taken aback) Oh, and, uh, for the record, our little encounter didn't exactly change my world.

FAITH

You're tripping! That was rock 'em, sock 'em!

ROBIN

No, no, no, no. It was—it was—it was nice enough, you know, and you're—you're very, um... mm, enthused, and I think with a little more experience—

FAITH

Dude, I got mad skills.

ROBIN

Yeah, of course. Let's finish up.

FAITH

No, hell with that. We're going again, baby. (starts unbuckling her belt) You're gonna learn a little respect here, pal.

ROBIN

Faith— (chuckles) Make me a deal, all right? We live through this, you give me the chance to surprise you.

FAITH

What would be the surprise?

ROBIN

(looks at her) You do know the meaning of the word, right?

FAITH

Fine. (rebuckles her belt) Deal.

ROBIN

Good enough.

FAITH

No way you're prettier than me.

ROBIN

A little bit, yeah.

Cut to:

15 INT. WILLOW'S ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Willow's working intently at her desk while Kennedy stretches herself across the bed behind her, playing with Willow's hair.

WILLOW

I really wish she hadn't said that about me.

KENNEDY

What, the thing Buffy said? I think it's true. (Willow squeaks with uncertainty) I'll be with you. To keep you grounded.

WILLOW

Yeah, well, you might have to keep me s*ab-ded, if I go to the bad place.

KENNEDY

(sits up, looks at Willow) You're saying I might have to k*ll you.

WILLOW

I am.

KENNEDY

Bite me.

WILLOW

I will. I mean, I do... mean it. The darkest place I've ever been, this is what lies beyond that. This is too important for me to—

KENNEDY

Buffy believes in you.

WILLOW

You know, Buffy: sweet girl, not that bright.

KENNEDY

Hey, I'm the first one to call her out when she's not making sense. In fact, this may have escaped your keen notice, but I'm kind of a brat. I've always sort of gotten my way. So you're gonna make it through this, no matter how dark it gets. Because now... you're my way.

They kiss.

WILLOW

(back to her paperwork) I better go over this again.

Kennedy cuddles on Willow while she works.

Cut to:

16 INT. DINING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Giles and Xander are looking intently at a map that's laid out on the table.

GILES

I'm—I'm—I'm all turned around. You're here?

XANDER

By the pillar, yeah. I'm protecting this area.

GILES

That puts me over by the door. Demons around the perimeter— Right! I open the door.

Pan over to show Andrew is also at the table, but he's wearing a red hooded cloak.

ANDREW

(reading from a book) You go through the door and are confronted by Trogdor the Burninator.

GILES

Oh, bugger it. Fight. (rolls dice, sips wine)

ANDREW

Adios to 5 hit points. Trogdor has badly wounded you.

GILES

Well, wait a minute. What about my... (puts on glasses) bag of illusions?

ANDREW

(scoffs) Illusions against a Burninator? Silly, silly british man. (Giles sips his wine again)

AMANDA

I invoke a time flux on Trogdor.

ANDREW

(looks at Amanda) Step down, girlfriend, you can't just—

AMANDA

Ninth level sorcerer, and I carry the emerald chalice. Trogdor is frozen in time. Deal with it. (writes something down)

XANDER

Smackdown on Red Riding Hood. This could get ugly.

GILES

Could it possibly get uglier? I used to be a highly respected watcher, and now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily. I just wish I could sleep.

AMANDA

What kind of person could sleep on a night like this?

XANDER

(looks over at Anya, who's passed out on the table in the chair beside him) Only the crazy ones.(rubs Anya's hair as she snores)

Cut to:

17 EXT. FRONT PORCH AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Buffy's out on her front porch, alone, looking up at the night sky.

Cut to:

18 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Spike holds out the amulet in front of him, letting it dangle from it's chain, and stares at it thoughtfully. Buffy walks down the stairs. Spike stands and faces her.

Cut to:

19 EXT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Zoomed in on a the front of a yellow school bus, the camera pans up to show the campus beyond it. A car has been driven onto campus and crashed into a palm tree. Papers and boxes are strewn all over the grounds. Zoom in on the sign that reads "Sunnydale High School." Pan over quickly to show Principal Robin Wood leading Faith, Dawn, Giles, and the others into the school.

ROBIN

Welcome to Sunnydale High.

Cut to:

20 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Robin leads the g*ng into the school as if instructing a class on a field trip.

ROBIN

There's no running in the halls, no yelling, no gum chewing. Apart from that, there's only one rule. (stops walking, turns to look at the crowd) If they move, k*ll them.

BUFFY

OK, potentials, in the basement. Follow Faith and Spike.

Faith and Spike leave; potentials follow.

XANDER

If you have to go to the bathroom, it's to your left. If you don't have to go to the bathroom, picture what you're about to face. Better to go now.

ROBIN

Willow, my office is straight through there. (points)

BUFFY

It's right over the seal.

KENNEDY

I'll start getting you set up. (takes the bag from Willow)

WILLOW

Thanks.

ROBIN

OK, civilians. The vampires get upstairs, we have 3 areas they could get through to another building and then down into the sewers. (points) Down the hall in the atrium, the north hall here, and the primary target, through the lounge straight to the science building. Now odds are, most of them will head there.

GILES

Teams of 2 then. I suggest you and I take the lounge.

ROBIN

I concur.

BUFFY

Xander, I want you with Dawn.

XANDER

I concur.

DAWN

We'll check out the atrium.

ANYA

So that leaves me and the dungeon master in the north hall?

ANDREW

We will defend it with our very lives.

ANYA

Yes, we will defend it with his very life.

XANDER

And don't be afraid to use him as a human shield.

ANYA

Good, yes, thanks. (nods)

ANDREW

I just want to say how proud I am to die for this very special cause with you guys. (takes a paper out of his pocket, reads) There's some, um—there's people I'd like to thank, both good and evil. Um, a shout out to my brother Tucker, who gave me the inspiration to summon demons and also—

ANYA

Nobody cares, you little monkey. (they walk away)

DAWN

I'm gonna check out our field of engagement. (walks away)

BUFFY

(goes after Dawn) Dawn...

DAWN

(turns to face her, resolutely) No. Anything you say is gonna sound like good-bye. (walks away)

Buffy walks to the group still standing in the hallway. It's only Willow, Xander and Giles now. Buffy joins them. They stare at each other in a heavy silence a moment before Buffy breaks the ice.

BUFFY

So, what do you guys want to do tomorrow?

WILLOW

Nothing strenuous.

XANDER

Well, mini-golf is always the first thing that comes to mind.

GILES

I think we can do better than that.

BUFFY

I was thinking about shopping. As per usual.

WILLOW

Oh! There's an Arden B. in the new mall!

XANDER

I could use a few items.

GILES

Well, now aren't we gonna discuss this? Save the world to go to the mall?

BUFFY

I'm having a wicked shoe craving.

XANDER

Aren't you on the patch?

WILLOW

Those never work.

GILES

Here I am, invisible to the eye...

Xander, Willow, and Buffy walk down the hall together away from Giles.

XANDER

See, I need a new look. It's this whole eye patch thing.

BUFFY

Oh, you could go with full black secret agent look.

WILLOW

Or the puffy shirt, pirate slash—

GILES

(turns) The earth is definitely doomed. (walks away)

Buffy, Xander and Willow are walking down the hall together in silence. When they pass the Principal's office, Willow steps in. Xander and Buffy continue walking. When they pass a corridor, Xander grabs Buffy's hand and squeezes it before walking away down the corridor. Buffy walks on down the hall by herself.
Cut to:

21 INT. BASEMENT AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Buffy joins Faith and the other potentials in the basement room where the Seal of Danzalthar is located. They form a circle around the edge of the seal. Buffy stands beside Faith.

FAITH

You first, B. (hands Buffy a Kn*fe)

Buffy sighs and takes the Kn*fe from Faith and uses it to cut the palm of her hand so that it bleeds. She hands the Kn*fe to Faith. Moments later, after all the girls have cut their hands, they all hold their cut hands out over the seal, activating it. It opens and parts sink into the ground forming a staircase into the hellmouth. Buffy goes in first, followed by Faith.

Cut to:

22 INT. PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Willow is sitting on the floor of the Principal's office with a semi-circle of white candles lit in front of her. There are other candles in the room as well. Kennedy sits across from Willow, watching her.

WILLOW

They should be in place. (sits back with her hands on her knees) OK, magic time. You ready to, heh heh, k*ll me?

KENNEDY

Starting to be.

WILLOW

Good. Fun. Great. Brace yourself.

KENNEDY

(whispering) Come on, red. Make it happen.

Cut to:

23 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Buffy, Spike, Faith and the other girls have climbed down through the seal into the hellmouth.

SPIKE

(looking at the amulet worn around his neck) Not to be a buzzkill, love, but my fabulous accessory isn't exactly tingling with power.

BUFFY

(psyching herself up as she looks around slack-jawed) I'm not worried.

SPIKE

I'm getting zero juice here, and I look like Elizabeth Taylor.

FAITH

Cheer up, Liz. Willow's big spell doesn't work, it won't matter what you wear.

Buffy, Faith, Spike and the others walk forward to the edge of a cliff where they can look out and see thousands upon thousands of Turok-Han below them on the floor of the hellmouth.

BUFFY

I'm not worried.

The Turok-Han are growling and making noise as they mob below them. Spike backs up.

BUFFY

I'm not worried.

RONA

Really? 'Cause I'm flashing back to Xander's whole bathroom speech.

AMANDA

(frightened) Buffy—

BUFFY

I'm not worried...as long as Willow can work her spell before they— (the Turok-Han look up at Buffy and g*ng) see us.

The snarling Turok-Han army rushes toward the cliff where Buffy and g*ng are positioned.

Fade to black.

ACT III:

24 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

As the Turok-Han army advances toward Buffy and g*ng, Buffy holds her ground.

BUFFY

(under her breath) Willow...

Cut to:

25 INT. PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Willow is performing a spell while holding onto the scythe laid out in front of her. Suddenly, she's overcome with power. She looks up, as the scythe and Willow start to glow with a bright white light.

WILLOW

(breathlessly) Oh...my...Goddess...

Cut to:

26 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

FLASHBACK: Buffy is addressing a living room full of potentials and her friends.

BUFFY

So here's the part where you make a choice: What if you could have that power...now? In every generation, one slayer is born... because a bunch of men who d*ed thousands of years ago made up that rule. They were powerful men. This woman (points to Willow) is more powerful than all of them combined. (Willow whimpers) So I say we change the rule. I say my power...

Cut to:

26a INT. PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Kennedy sits up smiling and confident.

BUFFY (V.O.)

...should be our power.

Cut to:

26b INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Vi, Rona, Amanda close their eyes and breathe in with a start.

BUFFY (V.O.)

Tomorrow, Willow will use the essence of the scythe to change our destiny.

Cut to:

26c MONTAGE

EXT. BASEBALL DIAMOND - DAY

A young woman stands at the plate staring at the pitcher, waiting to bat. She looks a little nervous. BUFFY (V.O.)

From now on, every girl in the world who might be a slayer...

INT. HIGH SCHOOL HALLWAY - DAY

A young woman breathes heavily as she leans on her locker for support. will be a slayer.

INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY

A young woman is lying across the floor, having fallen out of her chair. Every girl who could have the power...

INT. DINING ROOM - DAY

In a Japanese-style dining room, a young woman stands up at family dinner. will have the power... can stand up,

INT. BASEMENT - DAY

A young woman grabs the wrist of a man who's trying to slap her face, preventing him. will stand up.

EXT. BASEBALL DIAMOND - DAY

The girl at the plate changes from nervous to confident, smiling as she waits for the pitch. Slayers... every one of us. Make your choice. Are you ready to be strong?

Cut to:

26d INT. PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

The scythe is glowing white in Willow's hands.

Cut to:

27 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

The Turok-Han rush toward Buffy and team as they stand on the cliff's edge waiting for battle.

VI

(confidently) These guys are dust.

The Turok-Han army rushes Buffy's g*ng. Buffy fights them off with kicks and punches as usual, but the other potentials have super strength now as well. Vi jumps and kicks a Turok-Han down. Rona punches a Turok-Han in the face, knocking it down. Faith fights one off. Amanda stakes a Turok-Han through the heart. Vi beheads a Turok-Han.

Cut to:

28 INT. PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Kennedy, smiling at her newfound power, looks around and stops in amazement when she sees Willow.

KENNEDY

Willow?

Willow's hair is completely white, and she's still glowing with white light from the spell. Willow's facial expression is one of divine ecstasy as she looks heaven-ward. Willow pants as the power runs through her. When the scythe stops glowing, so does Willow. Willow's hair is back to normal, but she herself is still recovering from the incredible experience of that spell.

KENNEDY

You...are a goddess.

WILLOW

(smiles, weakly) And you're a slayer. Get this to Buffy.

Willow hands the scythe to Kennedy, who takes it and runs out of the office. Willow sits there, panting, then collapses to her side, still smiling.

WILLOW

Ha! That was nifty.

Cut to:

29 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Buffy fights off the Turok-Han, who are starting to out number Buffy's g*ng. Faith and Spike and the others are still fighting them as well. Kennedy runs down into the hellmouth carrying the scythe.

KENNEDY

Buffy! Catch! (throws the scythe to Buffy)

Buffy catches the scythe and is immediately able to k*ll the Turok-Han faster, than before, dusting them quickly. A Turok-Han att*cks Kennedy, who is able to fend them off with ease now.

KENNEDY

I could get used to this.

The battle is going well for Buffy's g*ng as they are able to keep up with the endless number of Turok-Han that come for them. Vi goes after one of the with intensity we've never before seen in her. Buffy uses the scythe to behead a Turok-Han. As their numbers increase, some of the Turok-Han are able to get past Buffy's g*ng and go up through the hellmouth into the school.

Cut to:

30 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Andrew and Anya are defending an exit together, each with a sword.

ANDREW

I think they're coming. (hides behind Anya)

ANYA

Oh, God. I'm terrified. I didn't think. I mean, I— I just figured you'd be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it.

ANDREW

Picture happy things... a lake, candy canes, bunnies.

ANYA

(gets angry) Bunnies! Floppy, hoppy... (holds up her sword, ready to att*ck) bunnies.

Cut to:

31 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Giles and Robin are defending an exit together. The Turok-Han flood the hallways. They far outnumber Robin and Giles, who manage to hold their own. Giles slices one of the Turok-Han across the neck as Robin punches and kicks them.

Cut to:

32 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Anya fights valiantly as the Turok-Han enter her corridor. Andrew backs away as a Turok-Han rushes him, snarling.

ANDREW

I have swimmer's ear!

The Turok-Han pushes Andrew against the wall. Anya dusts two Turok-Han in a row.

Cut to:

33 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Spike is fighting off Turok-Han alongside the others when he steps back and looks down at the amulet around his neck. He touches the amulet, but it burns his hand.

SPIKE

Buffy! Whatever this thing does, I think it's— (Spike winces and moans in pain)

BUFFY

(to the girls) Keep the line together! Drive them to the edge! We can't let them do—

Buffy looks down to see that a Turok-Han has stabbed her with a sword from behind, piercing her abdomen. She stumbles forward and collapses to the ground, face-first.

Fade to black.

ACT IV:

34 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Faith and the other girls are still fighting off the Turok-Han. Faith notices Buffy lying on the floor.

FAITH

Buffy! (goes to Buffy's side)

BUFFY

(leans up on her elbows, weakly) Hold the line. (hands the scythe to Faith)

Faith takes the scythe and goes back into the battle as Buffy stays in place on the floor, grunting in pain.

Cut to:

35 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Xander and Dawn guard their exit as the Turok-Han make their way toward them. Dawn holds a sword, but stays cautiously away from the fight as Xander engages the demons full-on. Xander can hold them back, but not k*ll them, so Dawn pulls a rope, dropping a sandbag and opening a skylight window in the ceiling, flooding the room with sunlight and causing the Turok-Han to burn and dust in front of them.

XANDER

(to the piles of dust) We call that the greenhouse effect. Very dangerous—

Another Turok-Han att*cks Xander, knocking him down. Dawn goes to help fight it off.

Cut to:

36 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Bringers have made their way to the fight and are attacking Andrew. Anya fights them off, but there are too many. While she stabs one with her sword, another slices diagonally though her torso from behind, k*lling her.

Cut to:

37 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Bringers have found Giles and Robin as well. While they fight the Bringers, one stabs Robin in the stomach. Giles kills the Bringer that stabbed Robin, then catches Robin in his arm as he falls toward Giles.

Cut to:

38 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Spike continues fighting the Turok-Han, as do Faith and the others. A ground of Turok-Han att*cks Faith, and she calls out.

FAITH

Rona! (throws the scythe to Rona)

Rona uses the scythe to mow down a couple of Turok-Han. Buffy is still lying on the ground weak and wounded.

BUFFY/FIRST

Oh no...(looks down at Buffy's wound reflected on its body) ow! Mommy, this mortal wound is all...itchy. You pulled a nice trick. You came pretty close to smacking me down. What more do you want?

BUFFY

(through gritted teeth) I want you... (sits up) to get out of my face. (stands)

Rona sees Buffy standing and throws the scythe to Buffy. Buffy catches it and swings it with a mighty force, knocking three Turok-Han off the cliff at once. Faith find renewed strength and kicks her assailants off of her as well. Faith takes out a few Turok-Han, as does another slayer. Vi takes out one after another after another. Kennedy disarms one and dusts another. Buffy knocks one off the cliff and kills one with the scythe. Spike gasps and stumbles backward away from the fight as he clutches his chest, then his b*rned hand.

SPIKE

Oh, bollocks.

A bright blue light sh**t up from the amulet, knocking a hole in the ceiling, going up through the floor of the Principal's office past Willow and through to the open sky. The light turns a warm orange color.

SPIKE

Buffy!

BUFFY

Spike!

Before Buffy can go to his side, the amulet refracts the orange light out into the hellmouth like rays of sunshine—but with concentrated intensity like a laser. Buffy stares at Spike. As the amulet works its magic, the Turok-Han are dusting throughout the hellmouth. The ground starts shaking. Faith calls out to the others.

FAITH

Everybody out, now!

Everyone rushes to the stairs that lead up to the seal. Buffy runs to Spike's side.

SPIKE

(amazed) I can feel it, Buffy.

BUFFY

What?

SPIKE

(looks at her) My soul. It's really there. Kind of stings.

Cut to:

39 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

The girls rush out of the basement up to the hallway. They go past Andrew. A Bringer is hovering over Andrew, but it falls back revealing Andrew's sword in its chest.

ANDREW

(in shock) What... why?

One of the girls helps Andrew to his feet.

Cut to:

40 EXT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Giles is helping the wounded Robin walk. As the ground starts to shake even more, they see the school bus sitting out front.

ROBIN

The bus. Get them on the bus.

GILES

(lets go of Robin, and yells after the girls who are coming out of the building) Everybody, this way!

Cut to:

41 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Kennedy helps the weakened Willow walk. Xander and Dawn are making their way out of the building as well. As the building falls down around them, Xander screams out for Anya.

XANDER

Anya! Anya!

He doesn't see her body lying limp and lifeless on the floor beneath some rubble. Dawn pulls him away toward the exit.

Cut to:

42 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Buffy and Spike are the only ones left in the hellmouth. Spike is still glowing from the amulet, sending rays of light out into the hellmouth. Buffy stands in front of him, staring, still holding her scythe.

SPIKE

Go on, then.

BUFFY

No. No, you've done enough. You could still—

SPIKE

No, you've b*at them back. It's for me to do the cleanup.

The walls are crumbling around them.

FAITH

(calls down to Buffy) Buffy, come on!

SPIKE

Gotta move, lamb. I think it's fair to say school's out for bloody summer.

BUFFY

(worried) Spike!

SPIKE

I mean it! I gotta do this. (holds out his hand to stop her)

Buffy laces her fingers through Spike's, and they burst into flame together.

BUFFY

(softly, looks into his eyes) I love you.

SPIKE

No, you don't. But thanks for saying it. (another earthquake; Buffy lets go of his hand) Now go! (Buffy runs up the stairs) I wanna see how it ends.

Cut to:

43 EXT. SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

The school building explodes. Faith runs out from the cloud of smoke and jumps into the bus. The bus drives off with all the survivors, except Spike and Buffy. Dawn stares ut the back window of the bus.

Cut to:

44 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Buffy runs through the hallway, still carrying the scythe, avoiding the debris that has fallen to the floor as well as what's still falling as the ground continues to shake. The door is blocked, so Buffy goes upstairs.

Cut to:

45 INT. HELLMOUTH - DAY

Spike stands in the crumbling hellmouth with light shining down on him from above, grinning from ear to ear and laughing as he burns up from the sunlight. He dusts slowly—first his skin singes, then his muscles, then his bones—then he's gone. The hellmouth crumbles in around him.

Cut to:

46 INT. SCHOOL BUS - DAY

Those who are less injured tend to the badly injured survivors on the bus. Vi tends to Rona. Xander takes care of an Asian girl.

VI

(grabs Rona's face) Look at me! This is nothing! Stay awake! This is nothing!

ANDREW

(staring straight ahead, in shock) Why didn't I die?

Dawn looks out the back window of the bus, searching.

Buffy is running along the rooftops of the shopping mall as the bus drives down the street. The buildings are collapsing behind her as she tries to catch up to the bus. She leaps from building to building, still carrying the scythe, then finally jumps toward the street, landing on the bus.

Widen the sh*t vertically to show that the whole town is collapsing in on itself, being sucked back into the Earth.

FAITH

(looks out the window) Ease off. We're clear.

The bus screeches to a halt with Buffy still clinging to the top. Principal Wood, who was driving even though he was wounded, turns the ignition off, leans back in his chair and sighs.

Cut to:

47 EXT. SCHOOL BUS - DAY

Buffy jumps down off the top of the school bus and looks around. Dawn opens the emergency exit door at the back of the bus and jumps down to give Buffy a warm hug.

GILES

(looking around down the street behind them) I don't understand. Who did this?

BUFFY

Spike.

As everyone who's able to gets off the bus, Buffy walks away from the bus a few feet toward Sunnydale, which is now a vast cavern. The "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign still stands, perched precariously on the edge of the canyon. The sign teeters a little before falling backwards into the pit that used to be its city.

XANDER

(walks up to Andrew as he gets off the bus) So, did you see?

ANDREW

(can't look at Xander) I—I was scared. I'm sorry.

XANDER

Did you see what happened? I mean, was she...

ANDREW

(looks at Xander) She was incredible. She d*ed saving my life.

XANDER

(puts his hand on Andrew's shoulder, nods) That's my girl. Always doing the stupid thing.

Andrew smiles a little. Xander walks away toward Buffy.

Cut to:

48 INT. SCHOOL BUS - DAY

Faith walks up to Robin Wood, who's slumped over in the driver's seat.

FAITH

It's not bad. You just sit here. I'll get someone to—

ROBIN

Hey... did we— did we make it?

FAITH

(kneels to be on eye-level with Robin) We made it. We won.

Robin smiles and tries to laugh, but he's very weak. Still looking at Faith, he goes silent and stops breathing. Faith gets concerned, pauses, then reaches toward his face to close his eyelids. Robin coughs and sputters a moment, then smiles weakly at her.

ROBIN

(breathing heavily) Surprise.

Faith lets out a sigh of relief and a smile. Vi goes to Robin's side, and Faith steps off the bus to join the others.

Cut to:

49 EXT. SCHOOL BUS - DAY

Buffy is still staring at the canyon that once was Sunnydale. Dawn stands beside her, then Giles joins them, as do Xander, Willow, and Faith.

FAITH

Looks like the hellmouth is officially closed for business.

GILES

There is another one in Cleveland. Not to spoil the moment. (bends to pick up a rock and throws it into the canyon)

XANDER

We saved the world.

WILLOW

We changed the world. (walks up to Buffy's side) I can feel them, Buffy. All over. Slayers are awakening everywhere.

DAWN

We'll have to find them.

WILLOW

We will.

GILES

(paces behind them) Yes, because the mall was actually in Sunnydale, so there's no hope of going there tomorrow.

DAWN

We destroyed the mall? I fought on the wrong side.

XANDER

All those shops gone. The Gap, Starbucks, Toys "R" Us. Who will remember all those landmarks unless we tell the world about them?

GILES

We have a lot of work ahead of us.

FAITH

(to Willow) Can I push him in?

WILLOW

You've got my vote.

FAITH

I just want to sleep, yo, for like a week.

DAWN

I guess we all could, if we wanted to.

WILLOW

Yeah. (smiles) The First is scrunched, so... what do you think we should do, Buffy?

FAITH

Yeah, you're not the one and only chosen anymore. Just gotta live like a person. How's that feel?

DAWN

Yeah, Buffy. What are we gonna do now?

As the others chatter around her, Buffy just stares straight ahead at the hole formerly known as Sunnydale. As she contemplates what's next, she smiles.

Cut to:

Closing credits.