03x14 - Couplet

Complete collection of the "Angel" TV show episode transcripts from season 1 - 5. Aired: October 1999 to May 2004*
Watch or Buy on Amazon Merchandise

The vampire Angel, cursed with a soul, moves to Los Angeles and aids people with supernatural-related problems while questing for his own redemption.

03x14 - Couplet

Post by bunniefuu »

Angel: "Previously on Angel"

Wesley: "Angel's son is part of the prophecy. Everyone and everything will be coming for him."

Fred is holding Connor.

Wes: "Adorable."

Gunn: "So sweet."

Wes: "I meant the baby."

Gunn: "I meant the hot mama."

Wesley: "She is a rather extraordinary young woman."

Gunn and Fred kiss. Wes' face reflected in the polished metal as he sees them.

Lorne: "We got a little term back in Pylea - kyrumption..."

Angel: "I know it."

Pylean Priest: "Everyone is very anxious for her majesty to com-shuck with the Groosalug."

Gunn: "Sounds dirty if you ask me."

Cordy runs across the dungeon to hug Groo.

Cordy: "That's not terrible, that's wonderful!"

Groo: "Your visions shall pass to me."

Cordy: "I can't give up my visions!"

Cordy lounges in Angel's doorway, dressed up for the ballet.

Lorne: "Cordelia?"

Angel: "What about her?"

Lorne: "You got to let her know what's brewing inside, because you don't wanna miss that sh*t!"

Possessed by the mystical energy in the ballerina's dressing room, Angel and Cordy go at it.

Angel: "You've become a truly extraordinary woman. I think that we..."

Cordy: "Groo?"

Angel: "Yes! We grew - closer together and I think..."

Cordy runs past him.

Cordy: "Groo!"

Groo: "Princess!"

They hug.

Cordy: "Oh god, I can't believe it!"

Lorne to Angel: "He just showed up"

Fred (voice-over as Angel goes to check on Connor): "I thought for sure she was meant to be with Angel. I guess you never can predict those things."

Angel is leaning on Connor's crib, looking down at his son. Lorne comes up beside him.

Angel: "It's strange."

Lorne: "Hmm."

Angel: "I remember him being taller."

Lorne: "A trick of the light. They don't actually get smaller until they're very, very old."

Angel: "I didn't mean the baby."

Lorne: "I know you didn't."

Angel: "I meant the Groosalug."

Lorne: "I know you did."

Angel: "Did he seem, ah, - I don't know - short?"

Lorne: "Oh, absolutely. Clearly the guy shrank - all over, probably. (Lorne helps Angel out of his tux jacket) Why, he's nothing but a muscley midget. I'm sure once Cordelia gets him home, she'll just pop him into a smallish drawer, and that will be that."

Angel, adjusting his cuffs: "She took him home. Well - well, that's good. At least we won't have to put him up here. The place was starting to turn into a hotel."

Lorne: "So - so you don't have a problem with that then?"

Angel: "Of course not. Why would I?"

Lorne sniffs Angel's tux jacket.

Lorne: "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because I don't remember you wearing this perfume when you left this evening?"

Angel takes the jacket from him.

Angel: "Okay. There may have been some magic."

Lorne: "There. You see?"

Angel: "Actual *magic,* Lorne. Whatever happened, it was a spell. It's worn off now. There's nothing between Cordelia and me."

Lorne: "Sure there is. And it got arms like steel cables and a deeply ironic sense of timing."

Angel goes to hang his jacket into a closet.

Angel: "You know, it's good that the Groosalug showed up when he did. You were right. Cordelia deserves a champion, and now she's got one."

Lorne: "Well, what about you?"

Angel: "I'm fine. I've been a solo-act most of my two hundred fourty plus years. And when I wasn't? Never turned out well. I like being alone."

The camera frames Angel and Lorne from inside the closet as Angel hangs up the jacket.

Lorne: "Fine, Ms. Garbo. Have it your way. Be alone."

The closet door closes, and the screen goes dark - only to show us Angel again as he opens the door again a moment later. Angel reaches in, takes out the jacket on its hanger and sniffs at it for just a moment before hanging it back up and closing the door as he turns away.

The camera looks out of another closet, this time at Cordy changing out of her evening dress.

Cordy: "So, ahem, you got deposed, huh?"

Groo, pacing in her living room: "Yes."

Cordy: "Huh. That sucks."

Groo: "The people turned against me."

Cordy: "Yeah, well, they'll do that."

Groo: "Endless committees were formed. Committees splintered into factions, the factions into coalitions, the coalitions turned into subcommittees, until finally the more radical element, spurred by a charismatic leader, did the dance of revolution."

Cordy comes out of her bedroom, wearing a red sweater and jeans.

Cordy: "And here you are."

Groo: "Yes."

Cordy: "So - you don't miss it? You know, the power, castle, concubines, and the royal chippies."

Groo: "There was never anyone else."

Cordy: "Oh."

Groo: "I welcomed the overthrow. The tedium of government was too much to bear after a life on the b*ttlefield."

Cordy, running a finger down the side of Groo's face: "Your heart wasn't really in it."

Groo: "No. That left when you did."

Groo slowly leans forward and they kiss. The camera circles around them and as we come back to see the Groosalug's face he has suddenly turned into an ugly, spiny, black monster. Cordy pulls back, staring at him.

Groo's voice coming from the monster: "Princess?"

Cordy takes a step back.

Groo, looking like himself again: "Is something wrong?"

Intro

Angel comes down the stairs into the lobby, carrying Connor. Wesley is moving about behind the reception counter.

Angel: "Hey."

Wes: "Morning."

Angel: "You, ah, you're the only one here?"

Wes: "So far. - How's young Connor today?"

Angel: "He's good. Cordelia, she's - usually in by now, isn't she?"

Wes: "It's early. I imagine she and Groosalug where up late. They have a lot of catching up to do."

Angel: "Right. Ah. 'They.'"

Angel goes to put Connor down in a bassinet in Wes' office. Wes follows him.

Wes: "Actually, I was hoping you and I could talk before the others got here."

Angel: "Sure. What is it?"

Wes: "Well - it's the fact of him. I know his sudden arrival was something we all needed a moment to digest. - Still, there are questions."

Angel: "You're suspicious."

Wes: "'Cautious' might be a better word."

Angel: "You think he's evil."

Wes: "Evil?"

Angel: "Okay, maybe not evil, but - he's definitely hiding something. Does he seem shorter to you?"

Wes glances down into the bassinet.

Wes: "We are both talking about Connor, aren't we?"

Angel: "What about Connor."

Wes: "He shouldn't exist."

Angel: "His birth was foretold. How many people can say that?"

Wes: "He has a role to play, that's true, but we still don't know what that role is. - Angel, we can't be afraid to ask the questions, because your enemies, *his* enemies, certainly won't be."

Angel: "You're right. We should be prepared."

Wes: "I'm glad you agree. However, with the loss of the Nyazian Prophecies, we'll probably have to look elsewhere for our answers."

Angel: "Well, we both know where those prophecies went. Maybe it's time to make another as*ault on Wolfram and Hart."

Wes: "That might not be necessary. Not yet, anyway. There should be other sources. Ancient works accumulate scholarship, commentary over the years."

Angel: "Huh. You think somebody else has already done the work for us."

Wes: "That's my hope. I've been looking into it. I just... I felt you should know."

Angel: "I wanna be involved, completely."

Cordy: "Involved with who?"

Angel spins around to see Cordy put some stuff down on the reception counter, and walks out of Wes' office.

Angel: "You're here. And...(Sees Groo standing in front of the weapons cabinet, trying out one of the swords) ... so is he."

Groo: "Angel. Your weapons are most impressive."

Angel: "Thanks. Thank you. (Grabs a hold of Cordy's arm, never taking his eyes off Groo) Can you, uh, ask him not to handle my weapons?"

Cordy: "Oh, relax. If there's one thing Groo knows, it's how to handle a w*apon. - Poor guy. Looks like that's about all he's gonna be handling."

Angel: "You mean, ah, you two didn't..."

Cordy: "I got him home last night and we started... you know. - But then - I couldn't go through with it."

Angel: "You couldn't?"

Cordy: "No. Not after seeing that disgusting, spiny thing!"

Angel throws a look at Groo before following Cordy into Wes' office.

Angel: "Spiny?"

Cordy: "Right up in my face! That's what the visions are like now. No pain, less artsy, sometimes floaty, though not lately, and very often stinky."

Wes: "You had a vision?"

Cordy: "Yeah. Big as life (Shows them a sketch she drew of the monster) last night, while Groo and I were getting reacquainted. Kind of a mood k*ller, I got to say."

Wes: "You should have called one of us."

Cordy: "Oh, please! Like I'm gonna bother you guys in the middle of the night because I want sex and can't have it."

Wes: "Actually, I meant the vision."

Cordy: "Oh. That. Well, it's not rising up until sometime later today."

Wes: "Oh. Why can't you have sex?"

Cordy: "I could lose my 'visionity.'"

Wes: "If you wanna play it that way."

Cordy: "*Vision*-ity! The visions. When that one hit my last night, it hit me. In Pylea the visions were supposed to pass to Groo if we ever did the royal com-shuck. How do I know that won't happen here?"

Angel: "Good point. You really don't."

Wes: "But your recent transformation could have changed all that. It might be possible to..."

Angel kicks the side of Wes' desk as he moves his foot.

Angel: "Still, you know, better safe than sorry. (To Cordy) You're doing the right thing."

Cordy: "I know. I know. I can't risk it. It's just - I'm so... (Looks out of the office to where Groo is still swinging that sword) And he's such a... Rrrr.. (Turns to smile at Wes and Angel) Don’t you think?"

Angel and Wes both look down.

Angel: "Yeah, sure."

Wes: "Certainly."

Cordy: "I mean, there's gotta be other things we can do to relieve the tension!"

Angel: "Jogging could be the thing."

Wes: "Perhaps some form of paranormal prophylactic..."

Angel: "Because, you know, jogging..."

Cordy, still watching Groo: "I guess we could probably 'com' without actually 'shucking.'"

Angel: "Well, I don't know. That could be a slippery slope that once you're on, that you could - slide."

Cordy: "At least I won't be upsetting the average around here. Nobody in *this* office is ever gonna get any."

Gunn is sitting across from Fred in a diner, watching her eat.

Gunn: "It's funny."

Fred: "The way I chew?"

Gunn: "No. Until that kiss last night, I would have thought you and Wesley had a thing for each other."

Fred: "Wesley?"

Gunn: "Yeah."

Fred: "No, we're just good friends."

Gunn: "You want another order of those?"

Fred: "Yes, please."

Fred puts a hand on Gunn's wrist as he looks around for a waitress.

Fred: "Oh. No. No, I'm not hungry."

Gunn: "You sure? I love watching you eat."

Fred: "Wow. (They both look down, fidgeting and smiling) - We should probably go. People might start to talk."

Gunn laughs: "Why would they?"

Fred: "Well, you know, us."

Gunn: "'Us' has been doing breakfast for weeks now. Everyone knows that."

Fred: "I know, but now that we've kissed, things are different. - I mean, they are, right?"

Gunn, smiling at her: "Oh yeah."

Fred: "So - so you don't think they can tell?"

Gunn looks around: "From here?"

Fred laughs: "I'm sorry. I'm being ridiculous, I know. It's just - I don't have a lot of experience in this area. I spent the last five years in a cave."

Gunn: "Yeah, I know what that's like."

Fred: "How could you?"

Gunn: "Because now everything's so bright my eyes hurt."

As they get lost in each other's eyes, the waitress drops the tab on the table.

Waitress: "Here you go."

Fred: "Thank you."

Gunn: "Thanks."

They both reach for it without losing eye contact, and their hands touch.

Fred looks down: "How are we gonna work this?"

Gunn: "Like we always do. We split it."

Fred: "But you hardly ordered anything. I'd be getting so much more value."

Gunn, smiling: "I think I'm making out okay."

They lean across the table to kiss when their beepers go off. They both fumble for them and look at the number.

Both: "Wesley."

Wes: "We've identified the demon from Cordelia's vision as a Senih'd. (Hands Gunn an open book) We believe it will rise in the mid-city area sometime before nightfall."

Gunn looks at the illustration, then hands the book over to Fred, sitting beside him. Wes notices their smiles as their hands linger during the hand-off.

Wes: "The Senih'd manifests in its physical form for one purpose only - to feed."

Fred hands the book to Cordy.

Cordy: "Seen it."

Cordy passes the book to Groo, standing beside her.

Wes: "Immediately upon rising it will go to ground to search for a victim. We've got to make sure it doesn't find one."

Angel comes to look at the book as Groo is holding it. He glances at Groo. Lifts up on his toes for a moment, then drops back down.

Wes: "Angel will take the sewer tunnels. The rest of us will go by car to Sorensen Park. We'll enter the underground from the water treatment plant there, double back. Hopefully by the time we meet up again..."

Groo: "I know this creature. It resembles the Bleaucha, which nest in the scum pits of Ur. I've slain many."

Wes: "Really?"

Groo: "Tracking it will be simple. k*lling it, more difficult."

Angel: "Well, yeah."

Wes: "Alright then. Groo, you go with Angel. Lets move out."

Everyone starts to leave as Angel stares at Wes, turns to look after Groo, then turns back to Wesley.

Angel: "I don't think that's such a good idea, me and him. You know, I'm more of a loner. Plus, he's so - bulky. He could really slow me down!"

Wes: "He's an experienced warrior. He should be a great asset."

Angel looks over to where the others arm up in front of the weapons cabinet. Sees Cordy hand Groo a sword.

Cordy: "Here's a nice one."

Angel: "That's my favorite broadsword!"

Wes: "You'll be fine, Angel."

Wes pats Angel on the shoulder and walks past him.

Cordy to Groo: "Are you sure you're gonna be warm enough? The sewers are pretty damp."

Groo: "I shall be fine."

Cordy: "Okay. (Hands Angel a w*apon without taking her eyes of Groo) Here."

Angel turns the a* in his hand, looking at the small head on it. Looks at Cordy, only to see her kiss Groo's cheek.

Angel, turning away: "Lets go."

Angel and Groo walk off together.

Groo: "I shall present this beast's head to my princess as a token."

Angel: "Right. 'cause she'll love that."

Angel and Groo are walking along some dark sewer tunnels.

Angel: "You sense anything?"

Groo: "A deep sadness."

Angel stops and turns to look back at Groo.

Groo: "My princess. She is unhappy. I fear I am the cause."

Angel: "No. No, she's not unhappy you're here, Groo. She's - thrilled."

They walk on.

Groo: "Then what keeps her from me? There is a distance - as if her heart is not free."

Angel: "I-I think, that maybe she's afraid to get too close. - She's, ah, scared if she does, she'll, ah, lose something."

Groo: "But I would give myself to her."

We hear a low growling sound. Angel holds up a hand to stop Groo, then takes a couple steps forward and crouches down. Angel touches some liquid spots on the ground, then rubs his fingers together, looking at them.

Groo: "It is wounded. It bleeds."

Angel: "It's better than bread crumbs. Lets go."

Angel and Groo enter what looks like the water treatment plant Wes was talking about. The Senih'd drops off of some pipes behind them. Angel and Groo turn and att*ck the demon together. The Senih'd manages to disarm both of them fairly early into the fight, but neither Angel nor Groo let that slow them down. Angel is taking a bit more of a b*ating than Groo, but other than that they're doing about the same against the monster. Until it lets out a scream and breaks through the wall to escape into the sunny park outside.

Angel scrambles back out of the sunlight streaming in through the opening. Groo picks up his dropped sword, then holds out a hand to help Angel up.

Groo: "Come."

Angel just looks at Groo, not moving. Screams sound from outside, and Groo turns to run after the Senih'd.

Angel slowly gets up and watches as Groo goes to rescue the young woman the Senih'd has grabbed. The demon tries to use the woman as a shield against Groo's sword, but Groo manages to knock them apart.

Cordy, Wes, Gunn, and Fred come running over a rise in the park, just in time to see Groo catch the woman in one arm, while knocking the Senih'd down and stabbing it deep into the back of its neck. The demon dissolves into an oily black puddle that seeps away into the ground.

Angel watches the rescued woman cling to Groo.

Wes: "Well, done."

Angel watches as Cordy throws her arms around Groo, a big smile on her face.

Wes: "I must say, excellent work."

The people in the park gather around them, applauding. Wes reaches out to pat Groo on the shoulder.

Wes: "Well done."

Wes turns and looks towards the hole in the side of the building. He sees Angel standing in the shadows of it, watching them.

Break

Ms. Frakes voice over: "You think you know someone. You think your place is secure and that there's a future there."

Angel is sitting across from Ms Frakes behind Wes' desk, watching Groo as he reenacts his fight with the demon for Cordy, Gunn and Fred.

Ms. Frakes: "And then something happens. No, strike that. Some *one* happens! (Angel watches Groo drop down beside Cordy, catching her in a hug) They insinuate themselves, pushing you out, taking your place."

Angel turns his attention back to Ms Frakes.

Angel: "And what makes you think this other woman is a witch, Ms - Frakes?"

Ms. Frakes: "Why else would Jerry cheat on me? We've been engaged for eight years! She had to have put some kind of a spell on him."

Wes is talking on the phone, while also watching the group out in the lobby.

Wes: "I'm looking for the original Greek if it's at all possible."

Watching as Fred is laughing at Groo's antics, Wes slowly moves backward until the wall beside him hides Gunn, sitting beside Fred, from his view - leaving only Fred and Cordy in his sights.

Wes: "You do? Excellent. Ah, can I get a quote on that?"

Angel leans back in his chair.

Angel: "Well, if you give me the woman's name I'll have someone check her out. See if we can find out if she's a - witch."

Ms Frakes: "HotBlonde37159 (She hands Angel some papers) I got these off the e-mails that I took from Jerry's computer."

Angel: "It's, ah, gonna... (glances us as Wes walks into the office) uh, it's gonna be pretty difficult to find her based solely on this."

Ms Frakes: "Well, just follow Jerry! I'm sure he'll lead you right to her."

Angel looks up at Wes: "Ms Frakes here wants us to stake out her fiancé. I was trying to explain to her that..."

Wes: "I think we can spare someone to keep an eye on Ms Frakes' fiancé. Gunn! (Gunn gets up from the settee) If witchcraft is involved we should probably look into it."

Gunn: "What's up?"

Wes: "Ah, Gunn, Ms Frakes here needs some surveillance work. I thought, if you were free..."

Gunn: "Yeah, not a problem."

Wes: "Good. (Takes the papers from Angel and hands them to Gunn) She'll give you the details. I'll leave it in your hands."

Wes takes the printed up e-mails form Angel and hands them to Gunn.

Gunn: "Sure thing."

Fred smiles at Wes as she comes into the office.

Fred: "We won't let you down."

Angel and Wes are entering the rare books shop.

Angel: "I don't know. Maybe they should just do it, you know? Get it over with."

Wes: "I'm sorry?"

Angel: "Cordy and Groo. She's being all noble for the good of the team. She should just make it with the com-shuck. That's what she wants."

Wes: "Oh."

Proprietor: "May I help you?"

Wes: "Yes. I phoned earlier about Grammaticus Third Century Greek Commentaries."

Proprietor: "Of course. The G.T.C.G.C. I'll be just one moment."

Wes: "Thank you."

Angel: "I mean, why not? You know, life is short. Okay, not mine, but, you know, most people's. And if Groo does it for her, she should go for it. (Walks over to a shelf to flip through some books) Make him happy. Make her happy. (Almost inaudible) Make everybody happy."

Wes: "But still - office romance - complicates things. What if they should have a row, or break up?"

Angel: "All of us fight with each other at some point. It's not like anybody else is having a romance. I don't see it changing things much."

Wes: "Well - (leans closer to Angel and drops his voice after a glance around) she said it herself. It could risk the visions."

Angel: "Okay. So the visions pass to Groo. He gets them instead of her. So what?"

Wes: "Are you suggesting Groosalug could replace Cordelia?"

Angel, still browsing the books: "Maybe not Cordelia."

Wes: "I see. - You think he could replace you."

Angel slowly puts the book he's holding back on the shelf and turns to face Wes.

Angel: "I don't know. Seems to me, here is a guy who can do everything I can - and a few things I can't."

Wes: "That's not true."

Angel: "You saw what happened this afternoon. If Groo hadn't been there..."

Wes: "Then the rest of us would have. - Angel, - you're the reason we've all come together. It's your mission which animates us. We each contribute, it's true, but you - you're unique. (Indicates the shelves) You're like one of these rare volumes. One of a kind."

Angel smiles ever so slightly.

The proprietor walks through in between them, carrying three old books.

Proprietor: "I've got three of them."

Angel blinks, smile gone as his brows draw down for a moment.

Groo is sitting in a chair in Wes' office with Cordy leaning down for a kiss.

Cordy, pulling back a little: "Are you sure?"

Groo: "I'm sure."

Cordy: "Good. Don't worry. I practiced plenty on Cousin Timmy when we were kids."

They smile at each other. Cordy takes a step over towards the desk, then turns back.

Cordy: "Oh, wait. It's not like your strength is in your hair, or anything like that, right?"

Groo: "No. I - believe it is in my muscles."

Cordy laughs: "Okay. So, we lose the "b*ttlefield Earth" hair, and get you out of these animal skins, and it'll be a whole new you!"

Groo: "And will this 'new me' be one that you can allow yourself to love?"

Cordy: "What?"

Groo: "Will the 'new me' please you in ways that the 'old me' could not?"

Cordy: "Groo, it's a haircut. It's not gonna make me like you any better."

Groo: "Oh. - I understand."

After a b*at Cordy puts the scissors down, takes a deep breath and crouches down in front of Groo.

Cordy: "You didn't give up your throne and come all this way for a make-over, did you? You came for something I can't give you - me. - It's not that I don't want to. I do. I've never met anyone like you, Groo. You're so open, and sweet, and there is a definite thing here. It's just..."

Groo puts a hand on hers: "You are afraid that with me, you will be less than what you were."

The camera shows a tree with a lot of roots visible around the bottom of the trunk. A car pulls up at the curb across the street from it. A man gets out and walks over to stand beneath the tree.

Gunn's truck pulls up.

Gunn: "Looks like this is it. Better get the camera."

Fred, setting up the video camera: "Do you really think he's possessed or under some kind of spell?"

Gunn: "Well, it's hard to say. There's all different kinds of magic. You've got demony love spells, mojo sex chants, voodoo bootie rituals..."

Fred: "Voodoo bootie rituals?"

Gunn gives her serious nod, then they both start laughing.

Fred, leaning towards him: "You made that up."

Gunn: "Then there is the all-powerful, big, brown, soulful eyes kind of magic."

Fred smiles: "Kind of familiar with that one myself."

They start to kiss, but Fred pulls away.

Fred: "Hmm. We should..."

Gunn: "Right. Because we're all about the work."

Fred turns to watch Jerry, standing under the tree, holding a single red rose, waiting.

Fred: "Maybe it's not so much magical but chemical when two people are attracted. Maybe it's like the DNA knows what it needs and when it finds it, nothing can get in its way. It just takes it."

Gunn: "It does?"

Fred nods at him with a smile. Gunn leans forward and they kiss.

Fred after a moment: "Charles..."

Gunn: "Yeah?"

Fred: "We're not supposed to be the ones having the rendezvous."

Gunn: "We're not?"

Fred: "No. He is."

Gunn: "But he's cheating on someone. You and me, we got a right."

Gunn pulls her close, but Fred, while smiling doesn't give in.

Fred: "I know. But we're supposed to be working."

Gunn lets out a sigh, and sits back.

Gunn: "You're right."

He looks towards the tree - no Jerry in sight.

Gunn: "Damn!"

Wes: "I'll get started translating this material right away."

Angel: "Well, ah, Wesley - thanks - for what you said before. You put things into perspective for me."

Wes: "Glad I could. While I do believe having another warrior for good may be an asset in the coming days, Truth is, you and the Groosalug are two totally different - people..."

Wes trails off as they enter the lobby and see Groo, his hair cut short, dressed in a set of Angel's clothes.

Groo: "Ah, hello."

Wes: "...who look exactly alike."

Angel under his breath: "He's wearing my clothes."

Wes: "Good fit."

Groo smiles up at them. Angel returns the smile.

Angel: "Where's Cordelia?"

Cordy gets up from Wes' chair as Angel walks into the office, a set smile on his face.

Cordy: "Oh, good. You're back."

Angel: "He's wearing my clothes."

Cordy: "What? Oh, yeah. I-I didn't think you'd mind. Turns out you guys are about the same size. I think he's a little taller. Looks great though, doesn't he? Angel, I need your help."

Angel: "What happened? - You had a vision?"

Cordy: "What? Oh, no. No, it's nothing like that. Uhm. This is - personal."

Angel: "What is it?"

Cordy: "I wouldn't ask, except, ah, there's really no one else I can trust with this. It's something only you can do?"

Angel puts his hands on Cordy's arms and leads her over to a chair before sitting down on the edge of the desk in front of her.

Angel: "Tell me."

Cordy lets out a deep breath: "You've done so much for me already and... Well, this is just one more thing for the list, I guess."

Angel: "There is no list. You know that. Just - just tell me what I can do."

Cordy: "I need you to help me have sex - with Groo."

Angel slowly turns his head to look out into the lobby where Groo is standing talking to Wesley. Cordy grins at Groo behind Angel's back and waves. Groo waves and smiles back. Angel lifts a hand, wiggles his fingers a little and raises his eyebrows, while trying to smile back.

Break
Cordy: "I realized something today. - It's not the thr*at of losing the visions that's been keeping me from being close. - It's me. The Visions are just an excuse. I mean - there's always *some* excuse."

Angel: "Right."

Cordy: "I'm *tired* of being lonely."

Angel: "Yeah."

Cordy: "So I worked it out."

Angel: "You did?"

Cordy: "Yes! It was something Wesley said - a paranormal prophylactic. And that got me thinking. I couldn't be the only woman on earth that had some supernatural gift that could be lost through physical intimacy."

Angel: "Stands to reason."

Cordy: "So I started researching and anyway, I'm right. There is a potion, a protective potion. I take it and bang! I can."

Angel: "Hmm. A potion."

Cordy: "Yeah. Anyway, this woman's name is Anita, and she's kind of in the business. Makes love potions, elixirs, things like that. She says she's got just the thing at this address."

Cordy hands Angel a paper with a scribbled address.

Angel: "You want me to - get this for you."

Cordy: "I went to my ATM, got cash. (Hands Angel a wad of bills) Nearly cleaned me out, but I think it's worth it."

Angel: "So you and Groo can..."

Cordy: "...com-shuck like bunnies. You betcha."

Angel: "Why don't you just send him?"

Cordy: "I *am* sending him. He kind of insists on it, but that's why I need you."

Angel: "Huh?"

Cordy: "He doesn't know this world. I can't send him into a demon brothel all by himself! I mean, I trust him, but I'm not crazy."

Angel takes a step back: "Brothel."

Cordy follows him: "*You'd* be safe there. No woman's gonna tempt you, right?"

Angel looks down: "R-right."

Groo walks into the office.

Groo: "Are we ready?"

Cordy: "I think so."

Groo: "We're most grateful for your help, Angel. (Groo puts an arm around Angel's shoulder and pulls him close) You've been a true friend to us both."

Cordy laughs.

Fred and Gunn are walking around tree where they last saw Jerry.

Fred: "There is nothing."

Gunn: "More like a whole lot of nothing. How are we gonna explain this? 'Sorry, Wes. We lost the dude because we were macking on the job.'"

Fred: "We didn't lose him so much as... Okay. We lost him. But his car's still here. So he's got to be close, right?"

Gunn bends down and picks up the single red rose Jerry was holding earlier.

Fred: "I'm sure there is an explanation."

Gunn: "The camera."

Fred: "Yeah, the camera. Maybe he saw the camera."

Gunn: "No, I mean, whatever happened, we got it on tape."

Fred: "Right."

Fred looks down at the camera she is carrying.

Fred flips the side screen of the camera open and rewinds the tape to where Jerry was still standing under the tree.

Fred: "There he is."

Gunn: "Push play."

On the screen we see some roots come up out of the ground, wrap around Jerry and pull him straight down into the ground.

Fred: "Well, that can't be good."

Roots sh**t up out of the ground, wrap around Gunn and Fred and they vanish into the ground as well.

We get an outside sh*t of a lit mansion. Then see a dorky looking guy walk down a hallway on the arm of a 'lady' with an oversized smile and three boobs.

Another lady comes around a corner of the hallway, followed by Angel and Groo.

Anita: "Oh, I love your outfits."

Angel: "Well, I really wouldn't call them 'outfits.'"

Anita: "But you are together."

Groo puts a hand on Angel's shoulder: "Yes! Two champions here together."

Angel, pushing Groo's hand off: "Not 'together' together. Just 'get the potion' together."

Groo: "So I may com-shuck my princess."

Angel: "Just to reiterate, (Angel points at himself) *not* (is distracted by the sound of laughter) the princess..."

Angel is looking through an open door into a reddish room, watching a couple having a pillow fight.

Anita: "The room is enchanted. Everything that happens in there, every touch, every emotion, every desire is extended for maximum pleasure. I can check the schedule if there is someone special you would like to bring."

Anita takes a hold of Groo and leads him down the corridor, after a moment Angel turns away from the room to follow.

Anita: "Just right in here."

Anita leads Groo into a big bedroom. A man wearing dress pants and shirt is manacled to one of the walls.

Man: "Oh, hello."

Groo: "Fear not, friend. We are here to save you!"

Groo rushed over and tries to pry the shackles open.

Man: "Hey! Get off!"

Angel comes in, takes one look, and hurries over and grabs a hold of Groo's shoulders.

Angel: "Groo! Groo, I think he's happy there."

Groo: "As a sl*ve?"

Man: "Don't judge me."

Angel pulls Groo away.

Angel: "Come on. (To man) Sorry. (To Anita) If you'll just give us the potion, we'll be..."

Anita: "You brought cash?"

Angel pulls out the money Cordy gave him and hands it to Anita.

Anita takes it then lifts one hand up into the air. We hear a little tinkling sound and her hand is enveloped in a deep blue light. As she brings her hand back down she is holding a small metal bottle.

Anita: "Make sure to tell your princess to drink it all at once."

Groo takes the bottle and Anita looks at Angel.

Anita: "I know why your earnest friend is here, but why are you? What's in it for you?"

Angel just stands there looking at Anita, ignoring the ringing of his cell phone.

Groo: "Angel, your coat is singing."

Angel pulls out the phone and flips it open.

Angel: "Hello. - What? Gunn? (He turns away from the others plugging his other ear) I can barely hear you."

We see Gunn and Fred wrapped in a net of roots in what looks like a cave.

Gunn: "Yeah, reception's not so great, is it?"

Angel: "Where are you?"

Gunn: "Under Plummer park."

Angel: "Under it?"

Gunn: "Pretty much. We were tailing that woman's fiancé..."

Fred: "Jerry."

Gunn: "...and we kind of lost him."

Fred: "But then we found him - sort of."

Gunn: "Him *and* his date. Some root-crazy, tree-like demony thing."

Fred: "With what looks like a DSL connection. (We see some computer screens and keyboards wrapped around by more roots.) We're pretty sure he chats up lonely hearts online, and then sucks them down here for food. Or maybe it gets its power that way."

Gunn: "Monster's got a big, old, leathery joint jammed up into guy. I think it's sucking the life out of him."

We get a sh*t of a gnarly face in the main trunk and hear it growl.

Angel: "What... have you called Wesley yet?"

Gunn: "We were kind of hoping we wouldn't have to."

Angel: "I don't understand."

Fred: "We just didn't want to bother him with this."

Angel: "Bother him?"

Gunn: "Look. Nothing against Wes, but I'm not sure he can help us out at the moment. What we really need..."

Angel listens to his phone.

Angel: "Oh. Ah-huh. (Angel turns and holds the phone out to Groo) Uhm. It's for you."

Groo is leading the way through the sewers.

Groo: "I am honored they requested the Groosalug to save them."

Angel: "I wouldn't say requested, more like included. (Puts a hand on Groo's shoulder to hold him up) Hang on. Here. Here. Did you feel it?"

Groo strides forward: "Something Evil."

Angel grabs a hold of Groo again: "Whoa, easy. Slow down, Champ! We have to be very careful here."

Groo: "You're right. (Groo pulls out the bottle Anita gave him) Will you keep this safe?"

Angel looks from Groo to the bottle. After a moment he takes it and puts it in his pocket.

Angel: "Fine. But we just got to be, you know, a little bit more..."

Groo charges forward with a loud battle cry.

Angel: "...patient."

Groo slashes away at the roots as he runs into the cave.

Fred: "It's Groo!"

Gunn: "Over here!"

Groo lets out another battle cry. The face in the trunk roars back. A root sh**t out and buries itself in the middle of Groo's chest. Groo drops the sword as he is pulled up beside the now released Jerry, who is lying motionless on the ground.

Fred: "What are we gonna do now?"

Angel makes his way into the cave between some of the hanging roots.

Angel: "That's my shirt!"

Break

Angel: "This thing is not actually made out of wood, is it?"

Fred: "No, it's flesh."

Angel: "Good. (Picks up the sword Groo dropped) Flesh I can deal with. Flesh I can k*ll."

Fred: "But I don't think hacking it is going to do any good. It doesn't seem to have any vital organs. It uses people as batteries. It draws its power from its victims."

Angel looks from the root-demons snarling face to Groo, who is groaning and straining against the root buried in his chest.

Gunn: "And it's been getting stronger since it tapped into Groo."

Angel: "Really. Stronger. (Groo suppresses another scream) Come on! He can't be that great."

Fred: "He is the Groosalug."

Gunn throws a look at Fred as he sees Angel drop the sword and walk closer to the root-face.

Angel: "What do you think? - Honestly. Does he seem really 'better' than other men?"

Demon: "He's magnificent."

Angel: "Really? - I'd say more like magnificently stupid. (Gunn and Fred exchange another look) Because him with the beer tap in his chest and me with the, you know, just walking around (Angel walks up to Groo) And I'm really getting tired of the 'Groosa-worship' thing. (Slugs Groo in the face. The root-demon lets out a roar) Nothing personal, champ. Oh! Everyone makes such a big deal about the Groosalug. (Slugs Groo. The root-demon roars.) He's such a champion. (Slug. Roar.) He's so rugged. (Slug. Roar.) He's so emotionally available. (Slug. Roar.) Look at him in the daylight. (Slug. Roar.) But you know what? I'm smarter, and I'm stronger, and I pick out my own clothes!"

Angel kicks Groo. The demon roars, withdraws its tap-root from Groo and buries it in Angel's chest instead.

Angel drops to his knees, catching himself on his left hand, while his right wraps around the taproot.

Angel: "Okay. Oh, jeez. Well, it's okay. You know, no one is using my heart at the moment anyway."

Demon: "k*ll you."

Angel: "Sorry. Already dead."

Demon: "Vampire!"

Angel: "Yeah. Did I mention that?"

Demon moans: "Cold. - Cold."

Angel: "Oh, yeah. It's kinda cold in there. But, hey, don't let that stop you."

The tree demon moans. The root bindings around Gunn and Fred shrivel and drop away. Gunn jumps up, grabs Groo's dropped sword.

Demon: "So cold."

Gunn: "So dead!"

Gunn buries the sword in the root-demon's face. A yellowish green liquid pours out.

Fred goes to check on Groo, while Gunn checks on Angel.

Angel: "How is he?"

Fred: "Pretty b*at up. Still alive - thanks to you."

Wes it talking on the phone in his office. Gunn and Fred are sitting in chairs in front of his desk.

Wes: "Yes, Ms Frakes. We are, too. - You're welcome. - Good bye. (Hangs up phone) Well, Ms Frakes is very happy. You saved her fiancé's life."

Fred: "So he's gonna be okay?"

Wes: "Yes."

Gunn: "That's good."

Wes: "Yes."

There is a long pause.

Wes: "Well, good work. You should probably get cleaned up, then."

Fred getting up: "Yeah. Good idea."

Wes: "Ah, Charles, a word?"

Gunn and Fred look at each other for a moment.

Fred: "Well, good night."

Gunn: "Good night. (Smiles as he watches Fred leave) What is it?"

Gunn turns back to face Wes.

Wes: "When you knew this was more than just a tryst you should have told me."

Gunn: "It happened so fast. The thing just grabbed the guy and he was gone."

Wes: "That's... - That's not what I meant."

Gunn: "Oh. - You mean... (points a thumb back over his shoulder) - Well... - I'm not so sure that's any of your business."

Wes: "No. You're probably right. - Still... She could get hurt. - I trust that won't happen?"

Gunn: "What are you, her brother?"

Wes: "Apparently."

Gunn after a b*at: "Wesley, I..."

Wes: "She chose. - It's just important to me that she's taken care of."

Gunn: "She will be."

Wes: "Good."

Wes picks up his pen and goes back to working on translating the open book in front of him. Gunn watches him for a moment then turns to go. Halfway to the door he turns back and opens his mouth, but closes it again without speaking and leaves. Wes looks up.

We hear a ripping sound and see Angel scrunch up his face, then hear buttons rain to the floor.

Cordy: "Sorry."

Angel, as he watches her dab at Groo's bared chest: "It's, ah - it's okay. It, ah, was already ruined."

Cordy: "Well, if it's any consolation, I planned to rip it off him later anyway. (Her head whips around to looks at Angel) You did get the potion, didn't you?"

Angel holds up the slightly dented flask.

Angel: "Yeah. We - we got it."

Cordy goes back to doctoring Groo.

Cordy: "Well. This isn't so bad. You heal almost as fast as he does."

Groo: "Princess, I - I have a confession to make."

Angel: "Groo."

Groo looks over at Angel, who silently shakes his head 'no' at him. Cordy pulls his face back around to look at her.

Cordy: "A confession? What - what confession? Did something happen at the brothel? (To Angel) You were supposed to look after him!"

Angel: "Nothing happened! Except your - boyfriend here was - very brave, and - saved the day."

Cordy to Groo: "You did? (Slaps his shoulder) You big hero!"

Groo: "No. I was reckless! I put everyone in grave peril. - *Angel* is the true champion. (Looks over at Angel) He saved us all."

Cordy, never taking her eyes off Groo: "Did you hear that?"

Angel: "Yeah, but..."

Cordy: "How many guys would just give away the credit like that? That is just *so* noble. (Holds out her hand) The potion."

Angel puts the flask into her outstretched hand. Cordy takes it then grabs Groo by his shirt and pulls him up off the settee.

Cordy: "Let's get our of here! See ya!"

Cordy hurries Groo towards the exit doors of the Hyperion.

Angel: "Cordelia."

Cordy stops and looks back at Angel.

Cordy: "What?"

When Angel only stands there, Cordy holds up a finger to Groo then walks back to Angel.

Cordy, quietly: "What is it?"

Angel takes one of her hands and puts a roll off dollar bills tied with a string into it.

Cordy: "What's this?"

Angel: "Just some money I saved up."

Cordy: "Why? What for?"

Angel: "I did something for you tonight. Now I want you to do something for me. - Don't come in tomorrow. In fact, don't come in for a couple of weeks. Take Groo some place - nice. Somewhere where there is - sun. - He'd like that."

Cordy: "Angel..."

Angel: "Promise me."

Cordy shakes her head a little as she looks down at the money, hitches one shoulder a little.

Cordy: "Okay."

Cordy turns to leave, then turns back and touches the hole in Angel's T-shirt where the tentacle went into his heart.

Cordy: "You sure you don't need some patching up yourself?"

Angel looks down at his chest: "No, I - I'm good. Didn't hurt a bit."

Cordy looks at him for a moment, then turns and walks out with Groo. As the door closes Wes comes out of his office. Angel looks at him then turns towards the stairs.

Lorne is laying Connor down in his crib.

Lorne: "Alright now. You get some rest, big boy. Yes. You go to sleep. Get you nice and tucked in... yes."

Lorne looks up as Angel walks up to them.

Angel: "Thanks for looking after him."

Lorne: "Yeah. Sure. (Gives Angel a look) You okay?"

Angel looks down at Connor, a slight smile spreading over his face.

Lorne leaves as Angel keeps watching Connor.

We see Wesley writing 'the son.' The camera pulls back to show us Wes staring down at his notepad. Angel walks in, carrying Connor.

Angel: "Working late?"

Wes: "Yes. - You startled me."

Angel: "Oh, we didn't mean to."

Wes: "I thought I was alone."

Angel: "Yeah. (Looks at Connor with a smile) So did I."

Wes watches as Angel kisses Connor's cheek and walks back out of the office. Wes lets out a sigh and looks back down at his notepad where we can read 'the father - will k*ll - the son.'