04x22 - Home

Complete collection of the "Angel" TV show episode transcripts from season 1 - 5. Aired: October 1999 to May 2004*
Watch or Buy on Amazon Merchandise

The vampire Angel, cursed with a soul, moves to Los Angeles and aids people with supernatural-related problems while questing for his own redemption.

04x22 - Home

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on Angel:

1 INT. HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Angel laughs as he realizes his fate.

ANGEL

I'm gonna have a son.

Cut to:

2 EXT. ALLEY IN LOS ANGELES - NIGHT

It's raining and a very pregnant Darla is lying down in the street. Angel is with her.

DARLA

(looks into Angel's eyes) This child is the one good thing we ever did together.

Darla stakes herself. Although she dusts, the baby inside her remains intact and lies squirming in the street. Angel stares at him in shock.

Cut to:

3 EXT. ALLEY IN LOS ANGELES - NIGHT

Holtz is pointing a crossbow at Angel.

LILAH (V.O.)

Daniel Holtz.

Cut to:

4 EXT. ALLEY IN LOS ANGELES - NIGHT

Holtz carries Angel's baby boy through a portal into another dimension.

LORNE (V.O.)

He's taken the baby away, for good.

Cut to:

5 INT. ELEVATOR AT WOLFRAM & HART - NIGHT

Angel stands beside a lawyer for Wolfram & Hart.

LAWYER

Wolfram & Hart. Our firm has always been here. We go on...no matter what.

Cut to:

6 INT. WESLEY'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Lilah and Wesley cuddle after making love, writhing in the ecstasy and satisfaction of the moment.

LILAH

That didn't suck.

Cut to:

7 INT. CORRIDOR IN HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS

Angelus is standing, holding Lilah's body in his arms, feeding from her neck wound. He drops Lilah's body. Wesley stares at Lilah's body and her bloody neck wound.

CONNOR

We have to destroy her. She could have been turned.

Cut to:

8 INT. BASEMENT AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS

Wesley stands staring at Lilah's corpse. Lilah's apparition stands behind him.

WESLEY

(lifts the battle-axe) I'm sorry, Lilah.

Wesley swings the axe, cutting across her neck. When he pulls it back, it's got blood on its edge. He cries.

Cut to:

9 INT. LOBBY AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

A young man drops into the lobby from a portal to another dimension. He points a w*apon designed to sh**t stakes at Angel, then smirks menacingly.

ANGEL

Connor.

CONNOR

Hi, Dad.

Cut to:

10 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - NIGHT

Connor and Cordelia are standing next to each other, looking out the window at a shaft of fire that's sh**ting straight up into a red circular cloud in the sky right over downtown. The column of fire is sucked up into the cloud where it disappears and the clouds close. Still glowing, the clouds now rain tiny fireballs all over the city. They stare in disbelief.

CORDELIA

(touching Connor's face tenderly) You never had a childhood, or a family, or anything that's real—I want you to have something that is.

Cut to:

11 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - NIGHT

Connor and Cordelia are in bed together, making love. Lying on top of Cordelia, Connor kisses her tenderly amid gentle undulations under the sheets.

Cut to:

12 INT. BANQUET HALL AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - DAY

Connor walks into the banquet hall teeming with people in various stages of undress. He walks purposefully toward Jasmine who's talking to some of her followers.

JASMINE

Cordelia.

CONNOR

What did you do with her?

JASMINE

She's exactly where I need her to be.

Cut to:

13 INT. CATHEDRAL - DAY

Connor is standing beside the person laid out on the altar, talking softly to Cordelia who's laid out on the table, draped in see-through white tulle fabric.

CONNOR

I know she's a lie. Jasmine. My whole life's been built on them. I guess I thought this one was better than the others.

Cut to:

14 EXT. BRIDGE - NIGHT

Connor has come to the bridge where Angel and Jasmine were fighting. Jasmine stands beside Connor, touching his shoulder. Angel's panting, weakly, staring at them.

JASMINE

You still love me?

CONNOR

Yes. (punches Jasmine in the head so hard that his fist goes right through her skull)

Jasmine falls to the ground, dead. Connor looks at her body, saddened. Connor runs off.

Cut to:

15 INT. LOBBY AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Weakly, Angel stumbles in through the front door. The rest of the g*ng is in the office. When they hear him come in, they all go out to the lobby.

ANGEL

Jasmine's dead. (sits) Connor k*lled her. He's just...given up. I think he's gonna do something. You know, he might—

LILAH

End world peace? (Angel looks over to see her standing in the office doorway) Well, you already took care of that. Congratulations.

Fade to black.

The Start Of EpisodePrologue:

16 INT. LOBBY AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Resume. Lilah has shown herself to Angel and the others.

ANGEL

(stands) Lilah.

LILAH

Angel. What's the matter, ace? (walks into the lobby) Didn't think you were the only one that ever got to come back from hell around here, did ya? (clears throat) Speaking of which, could I possibly get some ice water?

ANGEL

What are you doing here, Lilah?

WESLEY

She's not here. It's not her. It can't be.

LILAH

There's a signed dollar in your wallet that says different.

WESLEY

(looks hurt, walks away) It's a lie.

LILAH

Lah. It's a Lilah. (sighs, crosses arms; to Angel) You're the one with the preternatural senses. You tell him.

ANGEL

It's true, Wes. It's her.

FRED

But how? She was dead.

ANGEL

She's still dead.

GUNN

Vampire?

LILAH

(cringes) Eww, please. Angelus drank from me, it's true, but like with most men, it was a one-way street. I was dead already. Besides, my Wesley made sure I'd be spared, (pulls down the scarf that covered her neck revealing a straight red scar across her neck) just in case. It's OK, lover. I never felt a thing.

WESLEY

I'm sure that's true. (Lilah covers her wound again with her scarf)

GUNN

I don't get this. If she ain't alive, and she ain't a vampire, what in the hell is she?

LILAH

I'm just a messenger. That's all. They'll be sending me straight back to hell once I'm finished here.

GUNN

Who's "they"?

ANGEL

Wolfram & Hart. The contract she signed with them extends beyond her death.

LILAH

Standard perpetuity clause, I'm afraid. Always read the fine print.

ANGEL

What's your game, Lilah?

LILAH

No game. (shrugs) In fact, game over. (sits) Guess what? You win, which is why I'm here. I have been authorized to make you kids an offer.

FRED

(scoffs) You can't possibly think there's anything we'd want from you.

LILAH

I don't think you'll want it, but you'll take it, because this is the offer of a lifetime. (b*at) Just not, you know...mine.

Fade to black.

Opening credits.

ACT I:

17 INT. LOBBY AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

As Lilah sits on the couch, the AI team stares at her. They all seem uncomfortable, each rearranging and shifting as they ponder whatever it is Lilah told them. They look at her, at each other, at no one. Finally, Gunn breaks the ice.

GUNN

You want to run that by us one more time?

LILAH

What was unclear?

FRED

I think the part where you offered us Wolfram & Hart.

LILAH

Just the L.A. Branch.

LORNE

(chuckles) "Just the L.A. Branch." (stands, irritated) Hi, from another dimension, what the hell does that mean?

LILAH

Means we give. You win. We're moving out. The senior partners are ceding this territory to you, and to prove it, they want to give you controlling interest in our L.A. Office. You get the building, assets, personnel, letterhead, paper clips, all of it. It's yours to do with as you see fit.

FRED

But there is no Los Angeles office of Wolfram & Hart. The beast destroyed it.

LILAH

Oh, it's back, restaffed and zombie-free. We're bigger, better, and shinier than ever, and we want to give it to you.

GUNN

You want to give us your evil law firm? We ain't lawyers.

FRED

Or evil. (b*at) Currently.

LILAH

(stands) What we're offering you is a turnkey, state-of-the-art, multi-tasking operation. What you do with it, well, (crosses her arms) that's up to you.

ANGEL

Why?

LILAH

Well, I thought that was obvious. You earned it. Think of it as a reward.

GUNN

Reward for what?

LILAH

Ending world peace.

FRED

That's not what happened.

LILAH

No?

WESLEY

Jasmine was creating a sl*ve state.

LILAH

Right, where the slaves are full of giggly joy and love. Ugh, what a nightmare.

ANGEL

She was eating people.

LILAH

They knew what they were getting into.

LORNE

Her stomach?

LILAH

World peace comes at a price. Jasmine understood that. She consumed, what? Couple dozen souls a day? Now weigh that against ending the suffering of millions, (grins widely) but you fixed that.

FRED

No, we didn't. I—I mean, we did, we—we fixed it, but not in the way that you're trying to make it sound.

LILAH

Jeez, it's not like it was a criticism. Anyway, I'm dead and running late. (walks toward the door) Think about our proposal. If anyone's interested and wants the grand tour, there'll be a limo waiting outside just before dawn, (stops, turns toward the lobby) and hey... good job. (walks out the door)

FRED

(annoyed) We ended a nefarious global domination scheme, not world peace... (looks at the others) right?

Cut to:

18 EXT. STREET IN LOS ANGELES - NIGHT

Connor walks through the streets as sirens blare. It's chaotic tonight, unlike how things were before Jasmine's spell was broken. Connor stops and looks up to see a man pacing on the roof of a tall building beside him.

Cut to:

19 EXT. ROOFTOP OF BUILDING - NIGHT

Connor approaches the man who's pacing near the edge of the roof. The man is muttering to himself. He's some kind of police or security officer.

CONNOR

Hey. You OK?

COP

(holding his g*n like it was a teddy bear, pacing) I lost something. Something I need. I can't find it. (yells) I can't find it!

CONNOR

I know. It's OK.

COP

You can help me look.

CONNOR

(sadly) I don't think I can. I think it's gone.

The man looks at his g*n as he holds it in both hands, then he starts to point it at himself. Connor runs up to him and stops him.

CONNOR

Hey. You don't want to do that. What you're feeling right now won't last. Let's just put this away, OK? That's right. (takes g*n away from the man) There you go. Listen. You're gonna go home, and you're not gonna do anything stupid, OK?

COP

Home?

CONNOR

(pats the man on the back) Yeah, you got one, don't you?

COP

Yeah, yeah, got one. (takes out his wallet, shows pictures) Look. That's Sarah, and that's Jill. That's my home right there, right there.

CONNOR

That's your family. (irritated) That's your family, and you were just gonna leave them like that? How were they gonna feel if you didn't come back?

COP

I don't know.

CONNOR

You don't know? (yells) You have to know that!

COP

I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking.

CONNOR

(starts to walk away, but stops and punches the man, knocking him down) You were gonna leave 'em, huh? (stands over him, punching the man again) Think about this! (punch) Think about this! (punch) Huh? (punch) Huh?

Cut to:

20 INT. OFFICE AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Wesley is sitting behind the desk leaning over it inspecting a map. Gunn walks into the room.

WESLEY

Angel's battle with Jasmine took place here. She was moving east, probably towards Cordelia. If we find Connor, I suspect we'll find her as well.

GUNN

(sits across from him leaning back in a chair) Kid needs a leash if you ask me.

WESLEY

We work outward in an ever-expanding perimeter.

GUNN

Ever-expanding perimeter? That won't take weeks.

WESLEY

(puts down his pencil, looks up at Gunn) You've another idea, I'm ready to hear it.

GUNN

Can't help thinking it might cut down on the work load some if we got a little help, a few extra employees, or a turnkey, state-of-the-art, multi-tasking operation.

WESLEY

(leans back in his chair) You can't possibly think that's an option.

GUNN

Well, now I know it's an option, 'cause I was standing there when the dead lady offered it to us. (leans forward) Come on, Wes, how long are you gonna be satisfied, sitting there sticking pins in maps and blowing dust off your books? (sighs, leans back) Sorry, man. I shouldn't have said it like that.

WESLEY

(looks away) No, no, no. They are rather dusty.

GUNN

That's not what I meant. Couldn't have been easy for you seeing Lilah again like that.

WESLEY

Oh, yes. That was awkward, wasn't it? You decapitate a loved one, you don't expect them to come visiting. (picks up a pen and leans over his map again)

GUNN

Loved one?

WESLEY

Figure of speech.

Cut to:

21 INT. LOBBY AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Angel looks up as Lorne walks in through the front door. Angel's changing his shirt, and Fred's also in the room. Wesley and Gunn walk into the lobby from the office.

ANGEL

You're back. Anything?

LORNE

Oh, plenty. (shrugs) Just not any on Connor or Cordelia. I'm not saying we ended world peace or anything, kids, but, uh, it's a mess out there, and considering the banner year we've had, that's up against some pretty stiff competition.

ANGEL

(to Wesley) What do you got?

WESLEY

Not much more than you left me with, I'm afraid. Truth is, if Connor doesn't want to be found—

ANGEL

We'll find him. We won't stop until we find them both. We'll do whatever it takes.

GUNN

Ok, well, don't you think maybe we should consider—

ANGEL

(snaps at him) Consider what, Gunn? What should we consider?

GUNN

(backs off) Working outward in an ever-expanding perimeter.

ANGEL

You want to get into that limo when it gets here? That's up to you. (turns to grab his coat) It's not a decision I can make for you, for any of you, but know this: Before the ride's even over, before you even cross through their doors, you'll be corrupted. (walks toward the door)

WESLEY

Where are you heading off to?

ANGEL

I'm gonna go find my son, see if I can get lucky, pick up his trail. (walks out the door)

FRED

I can't believe he thought you meant—

GUNN

I'm going to bed. (walks away)

WESLEY

Yes, I should be heading home myself. It's late. (looks around) Well... night all. (walks out)

LORNE

Night.

FRED

(watches Wesley leave) Good night.

Cut to:

22 INT. HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Fred sneaks out of her room late at night. The halls are empty. She walks quietly down the front stairs into the empty lobby. She walks out the front door.

Cut to:

23 EXT. GARDEN AT HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - PRE-DAWN

Fred walks through the garden, rearranging her shoe on the way. She stops in her tracks when she sees the limousine. Wesley starts speaking, and Fred turns to see that he is standing beside her.

WESLEY

I don't know how long it's been here. Since before I arrived.

FRED

(guiltily) I thought I'd be the only one.

WESLEY

I thought for sure I wouldn't be, although I wasn't expecting it to be you.

FRED

I just figured...well, if they are up to something—

GUNN

(walks up to them from the shadows) We should know what it is. I get that.

WESLEY

Well, we three.

GUNN

Looks like.

WESLEY

What are the odds the humans would be the most corruptible?

FRED

(walks toward the car, the others follow) Maybe we should just go back inside. What if Angel's right?

GUNN

Yeah, but what if he's not? All we're gonna do is take the tour.

WESLEY

Hmm. We go into this with our eyes open and our wits about us. There shouldn't be any—

ANGEL

Surprises? (the others turn to see Angel was lurking by the wall just in front of the limo) What the hell. (goes to the car, opens the door for the others—but Lorne is already inside)

LORNE

(listening to dance music, talking to the driver) So it's an evil limo. I get that, but does that mean we don't restock the cherries? (laughs, looks around, notices the others) Hi.

Cut to:

24 INT. LOBBY AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAWN

The elevator bell rings. Angel, Fred, Lorne, Wesley and Gunn walk off the elevator into the lobby. They look around to see a bustling office. There's a big "W&H" sign in the lobby.

FEMALE LAWYER

Mr. Angel, good morning.

MALE LAWYER

Good morning, Mr. Angel.

FEMALE LAWYER

Good morning, Mr. Angel.

MALE LAWYER

Good morning, Mr. Angel.

FEMALE LAWYER

Good morning, Mr. Angel.

ANGEL

(to the others) There's no way this is gonna go well. (looking around)

MALE LAWYER

Good morning, Mr. Angel.

MALE LAWYER

Morning, Mr. Angel.

FEMALE LAWYER

Good morning, Mr. Angel.

MALE LAWYER

Herr Angel, welcome.

MALE LAWYER

Good morning, Mr. Angel.

MALE LAWYER

Mr. Angel, greetings.

MALE LAWYER

Hello, Mr. Angel.

FEMALE LAWYER

Mr. Angel, good morning.

MALE LAWYER

Mr. Angel, sir, good to see you.

MALE LAWYER

Good morning, sir.

Fade to black.

ACT II:

25 INT. LOBBY AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

A team of five people, headed by Lilah, walks purposefully toward Angel and crew.

LILAH

Well, you've all made it. What a shock. We've got a lot of ground to cover, so best we get started. Let me introduce you to your guides.

ANGEL

Guides? Separate guides?

LILAH

Of course. There are 5 of you, all with specific interests, unique areas of expertise. Seemed the most efficient way of doing this. Prioritize and personalize.

ANGEL

(smirks) Divide and conquer, you mean.

LILAH

Oh, you're so cynical. See? (smiles) This is gonna work out great.

ANGEL

We don't split up. We came here together, we're gonna take the tour together. Right, guys?

GUNN

(looks at one of the people Lilah brought with her) Do I get her?

LILAH

Look, if we wanted to harm you, we'd have blown up the limo, right? (a man wheels in a car of g*ns) If you prefer to be armed during your stay here, we'd have no objections. Just because we've tried to k*ll or corrupt each and every one of you at one time or another doesn't mean we can't be trusted.

WESLEY

She's right. We've made deals with them before. They are honorable in their way. I doubt we'll be in any danger.

LORNE

She was right about the limo.

GUNN

(still staring at the girl) Do I get her?

FRED

(picks up a large a*t*matic g*n from the cart, cocks it) I think we'll be OK.

LILAH

Lorne, Preston will show you around our entertainment division.

A short young man in a suit and a purple shirt walks up to Lorne, offering to shake hands.

PRESTON

Hi, big fan. Huge. Love your work. (Lorne shakes his hand) I had this prepared. Confidential list. Peepers only. Thought you might want to take a gander at our roster. (opens the book) Just a rundown of some of the talent we represent here.

LORNE

Uh, no, no, no, no. I don't think you have to tell me what you represent here, young man. I know. Evil. Pure evil in the— (Preston flips through the pages of the book, catching Lorne's attention) Huh. Which is also apparently everyone I've always wanted to meet. (laughs)

PRESTON

Follow me. (Lorne and Preston walk out of the lobby)

LILAH

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, Rutherford Sirk. (Wesley and Sirk shake hands) I think you'll find you two have a lot in common.

Sirk is a tall, slender, middle-aged man dressed conservatively. He speaks with a British accent.

SIRK

It's a pleasure. Shall we? (walks away)

Wesley stares at Lilah, but after a moment, follows Sirk out of the lobby.

LILAH

Charles Gunn, Lacey Shepard. (presents the young woman Gunn has been staring at) I think you'll find you two have nothing in common. (Gunn takes her hand and smiles)

LACEY

This way, Chuck.

GUNN

You're not gonna try to corrupt me, are you?

LACEY

Wouldn't dream of it.

GUNN

We'll have to work on that. (they walk out of the lobby)

LILAH

Knox, Fred Burkle.

Lilah presents a man wearing a white lab coat.

FRED

(smiles cordially, tries to offer her hand to him, but the large g*n she's holding makes it awkward; she giggles) Hi.

LILAH

Knox is the star of our science division.

FRED

Oh!

KNOX

Oh. Uh.

FRED

Oh, nice to meet you.

KNOX

You, too, um. Well, this, um, should be...fun.

FRED

Yeah. (holds her g*n in front of her and follows Knox out of the lobby)

ANGEL

Well...(chuckles) What do you know?

LILAH

Yep, just you and me, boss. Come on, Charlie. Let me show you around the chocolate factory.

Cut to:

26 INT. HALLWAY AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Gunn looks around the building as he and Lacey walk across a bridge over the lobby.

GUNN

Pretty slick.

LACEY

What is?

GUNN

You know, giving each of us our own little tour. It's a good way to isolate Angel.

LACEY

Is that what we're doing? (they walk in front of a bunch of cubicle offices)

GUNN

Well, it'd be a big coup bringing Angel over to the dark side. Vampire with a soul, champion. It's gonna look good on anyone's letterhead.

LACEY

Why do you assume Angel is our priority?

GUNN

You telling me he isn't?

LACEY

A priority. Though you each possess gifts we feel would be useful.

GUNN

Well, I see what the others got, Fred's big brain, Wes' training, Lorne's mind-reading thing. Guess I just don't know what you guys expect me to do around... (sees the office labeled "SECURITY") here. Though I think maybe I'm starting to figure it out. Yeah, bet I'd look real smart in one of them blazers.

LACEY

(smiles) Oh, I'm sure you would, but we have much grander plans for you, Mr. Gunn.

GUNN

(interested) You do? Grander?

LACEY

Let's go upstairs.

Cut to:

27 INT. HALLWAY AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Fred and Knox talk as they walk down a less glitzy hallway that's more white with fewer windows than Gunn's tour.

FRED

So are you a lawyer? Uh, you don't look like a lawyer.

KNOX

No, I'm strictly R & D. Although, occasionally, some D & D. D & D, Dungeons and...We actually have a dungeon. I can show it to you later if— um, I manage the science division.

FRED

(smiles) Seem pretty young to be a head of a whole science division.

KNOX

Oh, I—I'm not the head. I—I just manage it for the department head, which, I guess, you know, would be you.

FRED

(her eyes widen) Wait. I, uh—

Knox leads Fred inside a locked room. It's a huge laboratory, fully staffed and fully equipped. People are doing chemical experiments, medical, animal and others as well. Fred gasps as she takes it all in.

FRED

Wow.

KNOX

I know. Everything modern technology has to offer, right at your fingertips. Everything's state of the art, cutting edge. (Fred picks up a handheld computer that was lying on the desk) That's one of my creations. (smiles)

FRED

You might want to get out of the lab more. Personal organizers have been around for a while. I—I mean, (shrugs) not that it's not a nice Palm Pilot.

KNOX

(opens the computer) Yeah, I'll bet your buddy Matthew Partney at 6200 Crestwood Boulevard in Lubbock, Texas, would agree. (shows Fred the display)

FRED

Hey, how'd you know about Matt?

KNOX

Hacks into any electronic device within 100 yards. I—I patched in to your cell phone's address book.

FRED

You're like the— the MacGyver of Wolfram & Hart.

KNOX

(chuckles) You're not wrong. I can make practically anything out of a— a fully equipped, multi-million dollar lab.
Cut to:

28 INT. READING ROOM AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Sirk leads Wesley into a wood-paneled room with a table in the center upon which 3 dozen or so leather-bound books are lined up, neatly arranged in a row.

SIRK

Our ancient prophecies wing.

WESLEY

(unimpressed) Looks as if your wing's been clipped.

SIRK

Appearances can be deceiving. It's actually the most comprehensive collection of prophecy archives to be found anywhere. Choose something to read. Go on, anything at all. (leans on the books) Something rare.

WESLEY

All right. The Devandire Sibylline Codex.

SIRK

Translated or Sanskrit?

WESLEY

Surprise me.

SIRK

I'm sure I will. (picks up a large, heavy book and whispers to it) Devandire Codex, Sanskrit. (hands the book to Wesley; when he opens it, the blank pages magically fill themselves with text) The, uh, template you're holding provides access to anything stored in the firm's locked archives relating to prophecies, omens, revelations and so on.

WESLEY

Impressive. And does the Watcher's Council know you stole the only known copy of the codex when you left?

SIRK

There is no council.

WESLEY

(flips through the book) Not anymore, no. So you opted to, what, uh, play for the other side? Cross the line?

SIRK

These are complicated times. Lines become blurry. How did you know?

WESLEY

Something about Watchers and—(punches Sirk, knocking him out) libraries.

Wesley looks around at the ceiling, then sh**t a cable into the ceiling from a wrist jig he's wearing, triggering it to lift him up automatically.

Cut to:

29 INT. WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Lilah and Angel walk down the hall together toward a large office.

LILAH

(in the hallway) Money, clothes, women. Did I mention we have a juice bar?

ANGEL

(in the hallway) This is what you came back from the dead for? To play "Let's Make an Evil Deal"?

LILAH

Show him what's behind door number one, Bob. (opens the doors to the office; Angel follows her in) I know it's not much, but the Taj Mahal was a bit of a commute.

ANGEL

Hmm, what, am I supposed to swoon? It's an office.

LILAH

(gestures like a spokesmodel) With your own private elevator. Care to take it for a spin?

ANGEL

What's it gonna do, huh? Drop me in a vat of holy water?

LILAH

I was pushing for that, but they went with the motor pool. Figured you'd like to stay mobile, what with all that rushing out to save the day you're so fond of.

ANGEL

(smirks) Thanks, but I already have a car.

LILAH

Now you have 12.

ANGEL

What am I gonna do with 12 cars?

LILAH

Anything you want. That's the point, or haven't you been listening?

ANGEL

I have, and, uh, I'm done now.

LILAH

Wait, I forgot to show you the best part. (presses a button)You're gonna love this. (the window shades slide open letting light pour into the room through a wall full of windows)

ANGEL

(instinctively puts his hands to his face, then realizes...) I'm not bursting into flames.

LILAH

Nope. (taps on the glass) Necro-tempered glass. The whole building's fitted with it. Helps keep those uplifting, wholesome rays from charbroilin' the boss, and 30% more energy efficient. (Angel basks in the light) Feels even better when you're naked. I could turn around.

ANGEL

Close it.

LILAH

Promise I won't peek. Well, maybe just a skosh.

ANGEL

Close it, Lilah.

LILAH

(sighs, picks up the remote, closes the shades) Good-bye, Mr. Sunshine. Hello, gloomy avenger.

ANGEL

Make that good-bye. I'm not taking the job.

LILAH

It's not a job. It's an opportunity.

ANGEL

Ooh, an opportunity to be part of the problem.

LILAH

If that's what you choose.

ANGEL

Really don't.

LILAH

Again, your choice. Think of what you can do with the resources of Wolfram & Hart at your fingertips, the difference that would make. Nothing in this world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh, and it's cruel, but that's why there's you, Angel. You live as if the world were as it should be. With all this, you can make it that way. People don't need an unyielding champion. They need a man who knows the value of compromise and how to b*at the system from inside the belly of the beast.

ANGEL

The beast's belly? Doesn't that usually mean you've been eaten?

LILAH

(smiles) Maybe. While you've been namby-pambying around for the past 90 seconds, 6 innocent people have d*ed. Oh, but don't worry. There's always 6,000 more just around the corner or up the coast. (hands Angel a file)

ANGEL

(opens the file, reads) Sunnydale. (takes out an amulet from the file)

LILAH

That nifty, little bauble comes with the file. Apparently, it's crucial for some kind of final battle. Guess they're in short supply up Sunnydale way. A bit gauche for my taste, but, hey, not a slayer.

ANGEL

(puts the amulet back in the file; throws it on the table) Buffy can handle herself.

LILAH

But isn't it more fun when you handle her?

ANGEL

Keep the intel. Not interested. (walks toward the door)

LILAH

Not in this case. So how about open homicide? Missing persons? (Angel stops walking) Mmm, I knew there had to be a reason you took the tour. Dead, not stupid.

ANGEL

What do you know?

LILAH

About where Cordelia and your son are? Not a thing, but you could find out in about 10 seconds. All you gotta do is pick up the phone, boss. (picks up the phone, hands it to Angel)

ANGEL

(puts down the phone) I'm sorry what happened to you, Lilah. I really am. Me and my friends will be leaving now.

The telephone rings. Lilah answers it. Angel sighs.

LILAH

(to phone) Yes? Of course. (hangs up) The senior partners would like you to test all the amenities before you make your decision. (presses a remote control button, revealing a television that's playing a news report)

ANGEL

Cool! Is that high-def?

REPORTER

evacuated and b*mb units have been called to the scene where police say more than a dozen promenade shoppers are being held hostage at this hour. Police are trying to identify the suspect from these security camera pictures. (the footage shows Connor on the screen; Angel walks closer to the television for a better look) So far, no motive is known for the siege, and the suspect has refused to speak with law enforcement officials. We'll keep you updated as this intense drama unfolds.

LILAH

Wow, really does have your eyes, doesn't he?

Fade to black.

ACT III:

30 INT. WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Resume. Angel sees Connor on the television news report. Angel grabs Lilah by the throat and pushes her up against the wall angrily.

LILAH

Watch the head. It comes off kind of easy.

ANGEL

(through gritted teeth) You set this whole thing up.

LILAH

Been a little busy with the being dead.

ANGEL

You, the senior partners, whoever. Get 'em on the phone and make it stop (low) now.

LILAH

Love to, except for the part where we didn't have anything to do with—

ANGEL

But you know who did.

LILAH

Yeah, I'm looking at him. You're the one who raised him or didn't. (Angel lets her go; Lilah clears throat) Can't imagine how the kid turned out postal.

ANGEL

You don't know a thing about Connor, huh. Let's keep it that way. (walks toward the door)

LILAH

One time offer only, Angel. Walk out that door, deal's off. Stay, and it's all yours.

ANGEL

People like you, this place, that's what's wrong with the world, Lilah. I will never be a part of this. (sighs, stares at the image of Connor on the screen) Not the way you're hoping. (walks up to Lilah) Now let me tell you what the deal's gonna be.

Cut to:

31 INT. ELEVATOR AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Gunn and Lacey are riding in the elevator with cheezy elevator music playing in the background.

GUNN

(chuckles) This is the longest damn elevator ride I ever took. How big is this place?

LACEY

(looks at her watch, then at Gunn) It's time.

GUNN

Time for what?

The buttons for several floors are lit, but another button magically appears above them. Lacey presses the button.

GUNN

Oh, no. Hey, we better not be going where I think we're going.

LACEY

The answers you seek lie within the room.

GUNN

Only thing I seek is the lobby. (presses the lobby button repeatedly) Already rubbed elbows with Little Miss Muffet once. Don't need a repeat with her replacement, and here I am thinking I'm getting seduced. Well, I'm getting screwed all...

Fade to white.

32 INT. WHITE ROOM - DAY

Gunn finds himself in a large empty white room. He looks around, apprehensive.

GUNN

Right. Come on, you got the wrong guy in here. This room's for the big— (turns toward a growling sound in the distance) Cats. (a black panther walks toward him) Think I preferred the little girl.

The black panther walks slowly toward Gunn, then stops and stands in front of him, looking up into his eyes. Gunn bends to look into the cat's eyes and sees his own reflection in them. Gunn smiles. The panther roars.

Cut to:

33 INT. JACKSON'S SPORTING GOODS - DAY

The police have surrounded the sporting goods store with cars and helicopters. Inside, People are sitting on the floor, wired to a makeshift expl*sive device fashioned from propane canisters taped to each person's chest. One man is sitting with his arm around a little girl who's crying uncontrollably.

MAN

(whispering to the girl) Shut up. Shut up. You've got to—

CONNOR

(leaps down to yell at the man) Hey! I told you to be nice.

MAN

(leans back, frightened) I'm sorry.

CONNOR

You're not holding her right. Why don't you hold her right?

MAN

I think you broke my arm.

CONNOR

Do it right.

MAN

(painfully puts his arm around the girl) Shh, shh. It's gonna be OK. It's gonna be OK.

Connor stands and walks over to a stash of car batteries and checks that the people's wires are attached. Then he pauses.

CONNOR

You got in. (stands) I thought you might.

Pan out to show Angel is standing on the balcony of the upstairs section of the store. He leaps down to the main level where Connor and his hostages are.

Cut to:

34 INT. RECORDS ROOM AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Someone drops down from the ceiling—it's Wesley. He punches out a man standing in the records room. There's rows and rows of filing cabinets and document boxes. Wesley hurriedly moves down to the section he's interested in, inspecting the labels on the cabinets until finally he opens the drawer he wants.

LILAH

(steps out from behind a row of cabinets) I was wondering how long it'd take you to get here.

WESLEY

(looks over then stands straight) How'd I do?

LILAH

A little slower than I would have thought... but then you always did like to take your time. So you finally made it. Got behind the facade, and here it is, every dirty, little scheme. (walks toward him) Every secret, all that evil, great and small. Just imagine what you could accomplish with that kind of information.

WESLEY

You wanted me to see this. You knew I'd—

LILAH

Die Hard your way up here? Come on, Wes. Who knows you better than me?

WESLEY

(looks at her) Perhaps you don't know me as well as you think. (goes back to the files)

LILAH

What are you doing, Wesley?

WESLEY

(takes a piece of paper out of the files) Standard perpetuity clause. (holds up the paper for Lilah to see)

LILAH

You broke in here for my contract?

WESLEY

(takes out a lighter) I'm here to release you from it.

LILAH

Wesley.

WESLEY

You've suffered enough. (lights the paper) I want you to find some peace. (watches it burn)

LILAH

Gallant to the end...but I knew what I signed up for.

WESLEY

It's done.

LILAH

Look in the drawer. (Wesley opens the drawer, takes out a paper from the same file) Flames wouldn't be eternal if they actually consumed anything. (Wesley looks heartbroken) But it means something that you tried.

Cut to:

35 INT. JACKSON'S SPORTING GOODS - DAY

Angel walks cautiously through the apparel toward Connor.

ANGEL

Connor? Son?

There's an expl*si*n behind Angel. He jumps, startled. The hostages start crying and whimpering. Connor remains eerily calm and unaffected.

CONNOR

You might not want to move. Everyone's rigged. Can't save 'em all, dad. Don't know who's gonna be first. Could be any one of 'em. (stands, revealing he's wired too) Could be me. (steps away, points to an unconscious Cordelia on the floor, also wired) Could be her.

Fade to black

ACT IV:

36 INT. JACKSON'S SPORTING GOODS - DAY

Resume. Cordelia is wired to a makeshift expl*sive device fashioned by Cordelia. Angel stares shocked and frozen with fear for a moment.

ANGEL

Son...you have to listen to me. This is about Jasmine.

CONNOR

Jasmine's gone.

ANGEL

I know. We all felt it, that perfect love, then when you had to give it up—

CONNOR

(in a violent outburst, pushes items off a nearby table) I didn't feel anything! I can't feel anything. (scoffs) I guess I really am your son... 'cause I'm dead, too.

ANGEL

(starts walking toward Connor) You're not dead. You're just starting your life and—

CONNOR

No, you just weren't there before!

ANGEL

(tears well up in his eyes) I know. I'm so—

CONNOR

(yelling angrily) Do not say you're sorry! Doesn't fix anything.

ANGEL

Ok, look, let me say this. I love you, son.

CONNOR

It's a lie.

ANGEL

It's not.

CONNOR

(hangs his head) It's always a lie. (softly) My dead mother couldn't even love me.

ANGEL

You're wrong. She did.

CONNOR

No. (shakes her head) No. She knew she couldn't.

ANGEL

She sacrificed herself because she loved you.

CONNOR

You tried to love me. At least I think you did.

ANGEL

I still do.

CONNOR

But not enough to hang on, dad. (glares at Angel)You let him take me. You let him get me. You let him get me. (turns to face Cordelia) Cordy... you swore you loved me. Where are you now?

ANGEL

(inches toward Connor; softly) Connor... you have to believe that there are people who love you.

CONNOR

Jasmine believed you when you said you loved her, but it was all a lie.

ANGEL

Jasmine was the lie.

CONNOR

(yelling) No! She knew if you found out who she really was that you'd turn against her, and she was right. That's just what happened. People like you. People like this. None of you deserve what she could give you. (sighs) She wanted to give you everything.

ANGEL

I know how that feels. 'Cause I want to give you everything. I want to take back the mistakes, help you start over.

CONNOR

We can't start over.

ANGEL

We can. I mean, we can change things.

CONNOR

There's only one thing that ever changes anything... and that's death. (Angel starts to cry) Everything else is just a lie. (cries) You can't be saved by a lie. You can't be saved at all. (looks down at his expl*sive and starts to activate it)

Before Connor can harm himself or others, Angel punches him in the chin, sending his head back and pulls out the wire. Connor and Angel start to fight. Connor hits Angel in the head with a weight, then grabs a baseball bat—he swings at Angel and misses. Angel grabs a bowling ball and punches Connor in the face with it. Connor punches back, but Angel grabs him and throws him across the room into a wall. Connor falls to the floor. Angel helps the hostages undo their restraints and unwire themselves.

ANGEL

Run. Hurry. All of you. Go.

The hostages leave. Connor stands up and goes to att*ck Angel again. They fight with fists and kicks. Connor throws Angel across the room, then starts walking toward Cordelia—the only remaining hostage. Angel sees this and smashes a display case containing hunting knives. He takes a Kn*fe and hurls it across the room, landing it in Connor's thigh before he reaches Cordelia. Connor falls to the ground, still trying to crawl to her. Angel pulls the Kn*fe out of Connor's leg, pulls Connor off of her, and pushes his back to the ground.

ANGEL

(hovering over Connor, holding the Kn*fe) I really do love you, Connor.

CONNOR

(low) So what are you gonna do about it?

ANGEL

Prove it.

Angel sweeps down his Kn*fe hand and swipes the blade across Connor's throat.

Fade to white.

37 INT. LOBBY AT WOLFRAM & HART - DAY

Fade in on the lobby of Wolfram & Hart. Lorne is singing and dancing with himself.

LORNE

(singing) Could be...who knows? There's something due any day I will know right away soon as it shows (Fred walks into the lobby) It may come cannonballin' down from the sky gleaming inside... Welcome back, Fred (talking, hugs her) Hi. Hey. (starts dancing with her) Oh, well, let me tell you, when this cruise ship sets sail, I will be on the Lido deck. (chuckles) You know, I mean, it's unbelievable. Secrets of the universe, like Siegfried, evil; Roy, not so much. Oh, and balance? Very, very important. (spins Fred out, and she bumps into Wesley)

FRED

Uh, heh—ooh! Uh... guess we're all straggling back, some more straggly-like than others. Are you—?

WESLEY

Just, uh... a lot to take in.

The elevator bell rings, Gunn steps out.

FRED

You look... did they make you taller?

GUNN

I'm doing this. Hope it's not just me, but if it is, that's all right, too.

WESLEY

As much as it pains me to admit it, there's probably a great deal we could accomplish with the resources available here.

FRED

(looks at Wesley) I can't believe it. Are—are you saying we should take the deal?

ANGEL

I already took it.

FRED

Angel, what—what?

WESLEY

You took the deal?

ANGEL

Executive decision.

WESLEY

I didn't think you'd—

LILAH

Know a silver platter when he's handed one? I'm impressed with the lot of you. Team Angel, all growed up.

ANGEL

(whispers) Is it taken care of?

LILAH

Cordelia's safe and sound, probably getting a manicure and a blow dry as we speak.

FRED

You found Cordy? And she's—

LILAH

Still in a coma. But hey, it doesn't mean she can't look her best. (to Angel) She'll receive the finest care, medical and metaphysical. If there is a way to get her back, we'll find it.

ANGEL

Good. (whispers) Just one more piece of business. I got to see him.

LILAH

I'm sorry, Angel, but that wasn't part of the deal.

ANGEL

Value of compromise. Remember, Lilah? I need to see him.

LILAH

You're the boss. (hands Angel the file and amulet) There'll be a limo waiting outside. It'll take you to see Connor.

ANGEL

(softly) Thank you. (walks out the door)

FRED

(watches Angel leave) Who's Connor?

Cut to:

38 EXT. CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY - DAY

A limousine drives down a highway through the mountains. It drives on until it's dark outside. The car pulls up outside a house, and Angel gets out. He walks up to a window and peers in at the family inside.

Cut to:

39 INT. FAMILY DINNER AT SOMEONE'S HOUSE - NIGHT

In a warmly lit dining room, a family is sitting at dinner having a conversation.

CONNOR

You just opened up a whole bottle for yourself, didn't you? (laughter)

DAD

I'm just saying, you know, you've got your pick. Any college you want to.

CONNOR

It's really not a big deal.

MOM

Top tenth percentile is a big deal.

AUNT

Are you and Tracy gonna try and go to the same college?

DAD

Oh, bad idea.

CONNOR

We haven't really talked about it.

DAD

(shakes head) No, I love Tracy. I'm just saying it's a bad way to go.

SISTER

Tracy's a vegan.

MOM

So? At least she doesn't live on pop tarts.

CONNOR

You know, maybe I'll go to school overseas, like Russia. Is there anything further away than Russia?

MOM

Don't you even joke about it.

DAD

I feel a toast coming on.

CONNOR

Gee, big surprise.

MOM

There he goes.

DAD

To the top tenth percentile— (holds up his glass)

CONNOR

(stands) OK, whoa, whoa. Enough. That's all I had to hear. Since it's my special day and I'm all brilliant and everything and I'm forced to spend at least a few more months with you freaks...

AUNT

(gasps, feigning shock) How mean.

CONNOR

Uh, heh heh, I get to make the toast, OK? (puts his hand on Dad's shoulder, looks at Dad) To family. (clinks glass with dad)

Angel watches from outside, smiles, then walks away.

SISTER

I think I should get wine for the toast.

CONNOR

No, really? Well, I wasn't talking about this family. I made that clear, right? (laughter from the family)

SISTER

I'm not gonna tell you. (more laughter)

Cut to:

Closing credits.