01x23 - You Look Well..

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Fruits Basket". Aired: 5 July 2001 – 27 December 2001.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Tohru Honda is 16 year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, the handsome boy Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure.

01x23 - You Look Well..

Post by bunniefuu »

I was so very happy when you smiled at me, A smile that melted everything away.

Spring is still far away, and within the cold ground, I awaited the time when sprouts would put forth their buds.

Even supposing today there may have been some pain, And though the scars of yesterday remain, You can go on living as much as your heart wants to believe.

You cannot be born again, although You can go on changing yourself, and so Let's stay together, always.

I'm Honda Tohru.

It's been a year and a half since my Mother passed away.

Even so, the reason that I can feel joy in the lazily passing clouds, or from a pleasant breeze is probably due to all of the Sohmas that are always so kindly at my side.

The bottom the bottom of my paper bag That's terrible! Um, please, let me help you.

I didn't mean to cause any trouble to a total stranger Not at all.

When one of us is in trouble, we should all help each other.

Pardon me.

Pardon me.

I really am someone who can't live without always causing trouble to those around me.

I know it.

I feel I must apologize for even drawing breath The bottom of my paper bag ripping it's just an indication of how presumptuous someone like me must be to visit Brother Shigure's house.

I'm sorry! I apologize to everyone in the world! I'm so~rry I came to visit you! Um Ri-chan-san?

Even total strangers know my name! I've been living such an easy life, that I had no idea this is how notorious my name had become! I'm so~rry! For those of you who have the same name, I am so~rry for troubling you! I'm so~rry!?

Ri-chan-san has appeared.

This sure is unusual.

To think, Ri-chan that for someone so timid, you would come visiting all on your own.

Y- yes Pardon me for causing Tohru-san such terrible difficulty out in front of the house.

No, not at all.

Don't be silly.

I am deeply moved to meet you.

Ri-chan-san?

Yes?

So it turns out that you are a girl, huh?

That's right.

Ri-chan-san is the child of the hostess who took care of us at the hot springs earlier.

You remind me so much of your mother, Ri-chan-san, that I knew right away it had to be you.

Come to mention it, I heard that Ri-chan-san was the Monkey of the zodiac.

In fact my own child, like Master Yun-chan and the others, is one of the zodiac, possessed by the spirit of the Monkey.

But Ri-chan, why have you come here so abruptly?

I'm sorry, has it caused you trouble?

Mm-hmm.

- I'm so~rry!! - I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

That was a joke.

You've got that same personality that you inherited from your mother, as always.

You're going to be a member of society pretty soon, so you'll need to firm yourself up.

R- right.

I'm sorry.

Um, nice to meet you.

My name is Sohma Ritsu.

Thank you for treating my mother so well that one time.

Oh, no! That goes double for me! I am Honda Tohru.

Oh, right.

Here.

It isn't much What is it?

What is it?

A present?

Yes.

I was thinking of getting fruit, but I didn't know what kind you liked, so I got you books about fruit instead.

I'm sorry, was that wrong?

No, not at all.

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I will go get some fruit right away! Kidding, kidding, kidding.

It's all right.

Please, say the obvious, already.

I'm just somebody who isn't worthy of visiting your house.

That isn't so, I tell you.

He's right! I've really wanted to meet you, Ri-chan-san.

That's why I'm really, really glad that you've come over like this.

Thank you very much.

I, too, heard about you from my mother, Tohru-san, and have wanted to meet you.

Oh?

I'm glad.

She's even more beautiful when she smiles.

Do we have a visitor?

It's been so long since I've seen you, Yuki-san.

Excuse me for intruding.

You're in the same getup as always, aren't you?

I'm so~rry!! I will take it off immediately! Truly, the same as always.

Ri-chan-san! Are you all right?

Yes.

Um, I'm going to go put some tea on, okay?

Don't worry about me.

Yuki-kun, Ri-chan has gone to the trouble of working up the courage to show up here, so be nice.

Ri-chan came over to meet Tohru-kun, huh?

It has been a long time, hasn't it?

We saw your mother earlier, but have you been well too, Ri-chan?

Yes, I've been fine.

It really has been a long time.

Yuki-san, you're looking well, too.

Mm-hmm.

Yuki-san, you're starting to look like Brother Ayame, huh?

Make yourself at home.

Did I do something I shouldn't have!?

Yes, I have.

I'm always saying one thing too many.

Without realizing it, I draw everyone around me into a whirlpool of unpleasantness.

That you do.

I knew it was so! I'm sorry for making you feel unpleasant! I will take my leave of you! Immediately, I will take my leave of you! I am sorry for having stayed so long! Oh, no! Please, wait.

You just barely got here, didn't you?

And besides, you haven't been any trouble to me.

No, don't be absurd! Please, do not worry over me.

Not at all, I'm doing this only because I want to.

So please How undeserving I am of your words.

Just hearing that, my heart is full.

You needn't say such a thing.

No, it's true! Oh, my goodness! Honda-san, are you hurt?

I'm all right.

Never mind me, what about Ri-chan-san?

How could I!?

For me to come into someone's house and break someone's cup, I have committed a fiendish act! No, it was me who broke it I'm so~rry!! I'm sorry for having disturbed you! I apologize! I apologize to the entire world! Ri-chan-san, look out! Why even though she's a girl did she transform?

Huh?

Blood?

Blood! Bloo~d!! Honda-san! Huh?

Huh!?

and so, Tohru-kun wound up getting hurt, so if you have time, come take a look at her.

As long as it can wait until evening.

H- huh?

Hu~uh?

Oh my, Ha-san, that was awfully easy, getting you to grant me this favor.

Could it be that Tohru-kun is your secret luv-luv?

Did I guess it?

Did I really guess it?

Wow, you've got a crush! I was just so astounded by your stupidity that I couldn't find any words.

So you see, Ritsu is a boy.

But ever since long ago, he has dressed up as a girl like that.

Is that how it is?

I was positive that he was a girl.

Okay, I'm more or less done.

Thank you very much.

But why is it he dresses up as a girl?

He says it relaxes him when he's dressed like a girl.

See, Ri-chan is pretty timid, right?

Dressed like a boy, he would shrivel up, or something.

I suppose that could be it.

Come to mention it, where is Ri-chan-san?

Gods and Buddha, please grant me your punishment.

Ri-chan-san!! Oh, dear.

- When did he?

- B- b- be careful! Tohru-san, I know this isn't the kind of matter I can apologize for, but I'm sorry I caused you such a serious injury.

It's not a serious injury! I just got cut a little! I'm also sorry that I couldn't tell you I was actually a boy.

I was too embarrassed Not at all! What's this?

He's aware of having done something embarrassing?

I don't think it's embarrassing to dress up as a woman! On the contrary, I thought it was very becoming on you! Tohru-kun, what kind of follow-up was that?

Why why am I always spinning my wheels, putting out those around me, and being a bother to everyone?

Yeah, well, right now, that is indeed the situation.

Why on earth is it that I was given life in this world?

I know.

Although I am of no good to anyone, I am more audacious than others towards life.

I am so exasperated at myself for that! Perhaps perhaps people like me exist in order to see the vanity of life, but I don't even have the will to do that! There's no need for such a person! You don't need to have that kind of will! After all, people are alive and it's because we are alive that we can cry, and worry, and rejoice and that is the reason why we are born into this world.

Ri-chan-san! I twisted my ankle You really are audacious.

Do whatever you will.

Um?

I only heard that Honda-kun was the one who was hurt.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry, Brother Hatori.

What can I say, a lot happened.

So, how about your injury?

R- right, my hand But Yuki-kun gave me first aid, so I'm all right now.

Yuki did?

Yes.

I'm sorry, after you've come all the way here.

Thank you very much.

B- Brother Shigure?

If it's okay with you, um, would it be all right if I stayed over for one night?

Well, this is unusual.

Those are positive words, coming from you.

Yes somewhat.

Why are Ritsu and Hatori here?

I'm sorry! It has been three days since then.

Ri-chan-san sometimes appears as though he wants to say something, but ultimately he hasn't said anything, and he spends every day in idleness.

How is the seasoning?

Is it too salty?

No, it's just right.

That's good.

Nice, isn't she?

You're jealous, aren't you, over my new wife?

You babble that nonsense again and you'll be sent flying into the ceiling! Oh, my, are you here?

Who are you calling who's new wife?

Eh?

If you don't shut that stupid mouth of yours already, I'm gonna break your neck! Yaa! Kyo-kun is scaring me! Geez Good morning, Kyo-kun! And don't you go laughing at him, stop putting up with it! R- right That's how that stupid dog gets so carried away, making up such stories You should be ashamed to vent your jealousy like that.

Wha?

That's not what I'm doing! And Hatori, why are you still here, anyway?

B- but, it's because of Hatori-san that Ri-chan-san's injury didn't turn into anything serious.

None of that has anything to do with me! W- what now, are we out of milk?

L- I'm sorry, that's right! I'll go buy some new milk right away, okay?

Hold on, hold on.

You don't have to do all that No, no, I am the one who has been put in charge of the kitchen, and this is a serious! It wasn't her! I'm sorry! It wasn't her! I've had nothing but corn flakes in the morning, so Tohru san was good enough to put your portion of milk into my bowl! I am the one who has committed the crime! I am the fiend here! Now, go ahead and please feel free to pass judgment on me! Judge me! That's right, you're still here too I'm sorry! That someone such as me should stay over at Shigure-san's house and even though I only said one day, it has dragged into two and three days and on top of that, selfishly thinking corn flakes would be good for breakfast! Ri-chan-san! Ri-chan, stop running around, spilling milk everywhere.

Be my guest! Please, drink the milk out of this bowl to your heart's content.

Not even if I was dead.

In that case, what am I supposed to do?

You can go and buy some new milk right away! U- um Morning Good morning.

Yuki-kun, you've overslept.

I'm sorry I let you oversleep! I'm sorry, I also made you late! How do you figure that?

Because you're late, you'll be suspended from school, and you could even be expelled.

I'm sorry!! It's hopeless.

I told you so, didn't I?

Right prevails! Who are you calling "right?

" In one sense, Shigure is evil.

So, you see, you have to ease up a little more.

Right, I'm sorry.

Look, Ri-chan, those around you don't particularly mind you, so by apologizing to them, it makes them feel awkward.

That guy can say the cruelest things without any trouble, just like always.

Ri-chan, you do want to become a more steady man, right?

Of course I do! Some day, for sure! I wish I could be like Brother Ayame.

Ayame eats his soba noodles, filled with self-confidence I wish I could be like Brother Ayame.

Ayame eats his soba noodles, filled with self-confidence Ah.

That won't be possible.

Why not?

Is that an unattainable dream?

It's because Aya's self-confidence is in a place quite removed from human standards.

Ayame aside, those around you do not blame you as much, nor are they as critical of you, as you think.

You just need to have a little more composure.

R- right Right, right, right, right, that's what I was meaning to say, too.

You're such a liar.

I'm sorry Excuse me - I'm sorry Excuse me - Sorry Sorry, Dad, Mom Ri-chan-san He is someone who smiles at me so softly and yet, on some level, he's so hard on himself.

Just like Yuki-kun, or Kyo-kun, among others, he's someone who is hard on himself.

Why on earth am I in this world?

I'm glad I'm really glad that I had you, Tohru.

Because you're here, Tohru, I can go on living each day, smiling.

Well then, I was born so that I could meet you, Mother! If that's the case, then I sure am happy.

No! No! I'm sorry! Please forgive me! I beg your pardon! I'll go buy you some other takoyaki snacks right away! I'm sorry! I'm sorry for trying to take them back from you! I apologize! I apologize to everyone in the whole world! Ri-chan-san?

Shigure-san did?

Yes.

He said that unless he ate some takoyaki, his novel writing would slow down.

Is that so?

Um?

Ah, yes, what is it?

N- no, Tohru-san, what were you going to say?

No, no, Ri-chan-san, you go first.

I couldn't, I couldn't.

Tohru-san, you go first.

No, I couldn't.

Not me Somehow I get the feeling that if we go on like this, we'll never get anywhere.

Which is to say, Ri-chan-san, please, go ahead first.

Right! Let's see now There's something I wanted to ask It's just before, when you met my mother did she say anything?

Um, like, was she was ashamed about me?

Excuse me.

Being asked such a thing must make you feel awkward.

I'm sorry.

I do realize that I am to blame for being the son that she has to apologize for.

I really am a hopeless child.

I'm cursed with an evil spirit, and all.

And even so, I don't even have anything like the abilities the other zodiac members have.

When it comes to exercising or studying, I have to do more than the average person, or I can't keep up.

- I'm sorry Excuse me - Even among the Sohmas, my hopelessness often becomes a topic of conversation.

Every time, my mother could do nothing but apologize.

I realized that when I dressed as a girl, I felt a little relieved.

That's why I do it.

But that just served to further increase the frequency of my parents' apologies.

I'm trying to be more stable.

I even want to stop dressing like women.

But sure enough, I don't have the self-confidence Which is why I'm hopeless, isn't it?

In my heart, I felt aggravated.

Neither my father nor my mother wants to apologize, right?

They wanted a child they didn't have to hang their head over.

A better child I'm sorry I'm sorry Maybe it would have been better without having me around.

I'm sure it's not as if I was born this way for a reason, after all.

And even supposing I believed there was, it's not as if I couldn't do away with it And yet, isn't it really audacious of me to continue living?

You are trying to find that out the reason you were born.

With your own strength.

After all after all, the truth is I doubt that there is anyone who is born for any reason that they start out with.

Maybe everyone everyone has to go on finding out what it is by themselves.

That's what I think.

The reason you were born the reason why it's okay for you to be there the reason you exist I think that maybe those are things we have to go find for ourselves.

For example, among dreams, or jobs, or people, the reason that you find by yourself might be vague, or uncertain and while it does happen that people may lose them, even so, you still want for there to be a reason.

For as long as you live.

And so do I.

So, if it's possible, I want to find that within a person in someone So that I can have that someone tell me that it's okay to think of myself as being alive for them There are times when I get discouraged too, but I try my best, and everything.

And so And so, it's okay to be audacious.

After all, I think that by living audaciously, surely that's proof that you are living steadily.

Thank you.

I wanted to hear those words once again.

I wanted her to say them again I wonder if I'll be able to find one in someone like myself some reason It would be nice to find one Me too, sometime And, if possible, it would be nice if I was meant for someone, too.

I'd be happy if I could eat takoyaki together with that person.

Me too.

Someday, I'd like to eat takoyaki with someone.

I'd like to say that I was born for someone.

And, if those words are what someone is waiting to hear Ah! Let's hurry and give this takoyaki to Brother Shigure! Right.

Brother Shigure, when he eats takoyaki, transforms into a warrior Huh?

and with takoyaki power Huh?

Now let us circle together, around a pleasant dinner.

Come, take today's tears, and make them tomorrow's strength.

La, la, la Wonderful love and life La, la, la Adorable love and life La, la, la Wonderful love and life I will apologize in advance for tonight, that by removing it, On the next Fruits Basket things may be thrown into turmoil.

That again Seeing her, I wonder if she couldn't open that boy's heart I also wonder if she would be able to face him You're going to entrust everything to her, then?

Kazuma-dono, you, too?

Would you lend me some of your time this evening?

Yes