Leopard, The (1963)

Required high school reading you'd rather read the movie script. Movie Collection.

Moderator: Maskath3

Watch on Amazon   Shop Merchandise

Required high school reading you'd rather read the movie script. Movie Collection.

Leopard, The (1963)

Post by bunniefuu »

THE LEOPARD

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord be with thee...

What is that disturbance?

What has happened?

Excuse me, Your Excellency. A dead soldier has been found in the garden What?

There's rioting in the city, everywhere This letter has arrived It's urgent. From the Duke of Malvica

"Dear Fabrizio, read the terrible news in the paper

"The Piedmontese have landed. We are lost

"My family and I are taking refuge in the English ships anchored here

"I'm sure you'll do likewise

"God save our beloved king"

The coward!

An act of piracy was committed on 11th May...

...when armed men landed at Marsala Reports say there were about 800, led by Garibaldi

The brigands carefully avoided any clash with royalist troops...

...and made for Castelvetrano...

...threatening peaceful inhabitants and causing pillage and devastation

Paolo, you'll go to the house in Palermo; empty houses are lost houses No, please, Fabrizio. It's dangerous. This is w*r

Francesco Paolo, call Mim�

It's the revolution

Drink this, you'll feel better

He's just coming, father

Pardon, Excellency. In the garden we've found...

Mim�, tell Don Antonio to harness the horses to the carriage

I'll go to Palermo after our meal

Father Pirrone...

...you'll accompany me, won't you?

May the Lord protect us

But with the streets full of soldiers, bandits...

You'll spend two hours with your colleagues. We'll return at eleven

We eat in half an hour All of you

What are we going to do?

Save us, Queen of Heaven, mother of mercies...

These swine stink even when they're dead Salvatore, did you alert the barracks?

Excellency, we've told them to come and remove him

What terrible times, Excellency

Look at all the fires on the mountains

They're the rebels' camps I see them, Father

Perhaps Your Excellency is worried about Don Tancredi

Tancredi should guard against certain friendships...

...certain dangerous acquaintances Father, the fault is not Tancredi's; the fault is the times A young nobleman cannot even play cards without making dangerous friends That's enough now

Still, a little prudence...

Halt! Villa Airoldi road-block Good evening Your Excellency. Excuse us Let the Prince of Salina through

What a beautiful country this would be if...

If there weren't so many Jesuits

I'll come back for you in two hours. Pray well, Father

Where can we go? To the tavern, by the port

Good evening, handsome Melina, that's not for you Mind your own business

My big prince

Good day, uncle Tancredi. What were you up to last night?

Nothing at all, uncle I was with friends; a virtuous night Not like some I know, who went to amuse themselves...

...down in Palermo And who would they be?

You yourself, uncle I saw you talking to the sergeant at the road-block A fine thing, at your age And with a reverend father, too Such libertines Well, after all, it's true

Why are you dressed like that? For a masked ball in the morning?

I'm going soon, uncle. I came to say farewell Why? Where are you going? Not a duel...

Yes. A great duel, uncle, with the king I'm going to the mountains, to Ficuzza Great things are beginning and I don't want to stay at home They'd seize me here, anyway You are mad to join them; they're Mafiosi, all swindlers

A Falconeri should be with us, for the king Certainly, for the king But which king? You've said it yourself, uncle If King Ferdinando were still alive... But Franceschiello? No, uncle You think the Piedmont man they call "The Gentleman" will be much better?

A Turin dialect instead of Neapolitan, that's all Then what about the republic of Peppino Mazzini?

If we weren't here, that lot would soon foist the republic on you If we want everything to remain as it is, everything has to change Have I explained it?

Good-bye, uncle. I'll return with the tricolor

The tricolor! You soil your lips with that word What is it compared with our golden lily banner?

What do you hope to gain from those colors?

Wait, uncle, you're deluding yourself Good-bye, uncle

I'll see you soon

Tancredi! Wait!

What are you doing? Subsidizing the revolution now?

Thank you very much, uncle Kiss my aunt for me

Concetta, I'll be back soon

Has Your Excellency come for confession?

Confession? It's not Saturday

Excellency, listen to me. Make confession

Father, there is no need; you know everything already

Confession is not the telling of facts, but the repentance of sins I know!

What do you expect of me? I'm a vigorous man Can I be content with a woman who in bed crosses herself before an embrace?

And who afterwards can only say: "Jesus Mary"

I've had seven children by her... seven And, Father, I've never seen her navel

Is that fair?

Is it, Father? She is the sinner

I was too brusque Do not lose your goodwill towards me

But listen to me: Confess I haven't any intention of confessing At least, not today

I've made some important political discoveries Do you know what's happening in our country? Nothing A barely noticeable substitution of ruling groups The middle class doesn't want to destroy us, but to take our place...

...more politely, and even put thousands of ducats into our pockets And then the rest can stay as it is Father, ours is a country of compromises In short, you nobles will come to an agreement with the liberals...

...even with the Masons...

...at our expense; yes, at the expense of the church...

...because it's clear that all our wealth...

...the patrimony of the poor, will be divided among the insolent ringleaders

Who then will feed the unhappy people whom the church still supports?

What will be done to placate that desperate horde?

They will be given one piece of your land, then another, finally all of it

Our Lord healed the physically blind, but what about the mentally blind?

We're not mentally blind, dear Father

Just human beings in a world of radical change What must we do?

The church has been given an explicit promise of immortality We, as a social class, have not A palliative that promises us another hundred years is the same as eternity Beyond what we can caress with our hands we have no obligations The church must have obligations, because it is destined not to die In its disappearance there might be some solace Do you believe, Father, that if one day the church...

...could save itself by sacrificing us it would hesitate to do so?

It wouldn't hesitate, and it would do well

You'll have two sins to confess to me on Saturday A carnal sin last night and a spiritual one today Look, Father, how beautiful It will take more than King Victor Emmanuel to change this magic view

Long live Garibaldi's men!

Help me!

He's a policeman, a m*rder*r! We dealt with him ourselves!

The cavalry!

Hold your fire!

Platoons, forward march!

Hey, nurse, come here!

Where have they gone?

By now they'll be at the port

What do you say, Father?

Will these glorious new times give us better roads?

Well, the government...

Clear the road!

Nobody can pass. It's blocked The road to Bisaquino is closed

I'm sorry, it's forbidden to pass. You can't go any further

Evidently our permit is no good I'm not saying that. We've been told all civilian permits are suspended If I tell you to turn back, you have to turn back!

Clear the road so the carriages can proceed

Nobody gets through here!

I'm Captain Prince Tancredi Falconari. I fought at Palermo with you Captain, I have my orders This is an order, too. Clear the way!

You live among the nobility What do they say about this huge conflagration?

What does our fierce, proud Prince of Salina say?

The nobility, as you call them, aren't easy to understand They live in a world apart, not created by God...

...but by themselves, during centuries of very special experiences...

...of troubles and joys - their joys They get upset or are fascinated by things that to you and me...

...don't matter at all, but which for them are vital

I don't mean the nobles are bad, on the contrary They're different They don't care about certain things which are very important to us...

...and maybe they have fears we're ignorant of The Prince of Salina, for example He couldn't give up his holiday in Donnafugata; that's where we're going

But if you ask him what he thinks, of the revolution...

...he says there's no revolution, everything will go on as before That's the last straw Let's read the breviary; it's better Let's see...

Psalm 45 My heart overfloweth, I speak of the things I have made touching the king My tongue is the pen of a ready writer Thou art fairer than the children of men Grace is poured into thy lips, God hath blessed thee for ever

Quickly, lads

Spread it neatly. You fetch the bottles, and you the glasses

We hope that everything is just as you want it I'm delighted to see you again, Excellency Now we'll just rest a little You can eat beneath the trees We'll leave for Donnafugata in an hour. Tell me about the soldiers...

It's worse than in Algeria It's different from Algeria, my dear

Wouldn't you like to refresh yourself?

Try bathing your temples

Let's join the others, or we'll find nothing left to eat

Aren't you hungry?

I told everyone: "His Excellency won't leave Palermo this year

"How do you expect them to travel in times like these?

"Who knows what will happen to His Excellency? May God protect him!"

But you're all safe and sound I thank God What did you expect to happen to us? It was all very simple

In fact, a few days after Garibaldi's entry into Palermo...

...Tancredi brought home a nice Tuscan general...

...who wanted to admire the frescos at the villa...

...and he proved useful in obtaining permits for Donnafugata

We are most happy to receive you in our home, General Thank you, Excellency

He called you "Excellency"; he's never broken Garibaldi's orders before

General, my nephew has told me that you would like to see the frescos Very much, Excellency Let's do it at once

In the centre, Jupiter and Juno, Mars, Venus and Mercury On the other side, Tethys preceded by a group of tritons and dryads Apollo surrounded by clouds, and all exalting the house of Salina's glory

Would you like another mint caramel?

Thank you, they're just the sort I like I brought them especially for you

How pale you are. Was your wound really not serious?

Pardon?

It's worth being wounded to become promoted on the b*ttlefield

The carriages are coming!

I am happy to welcome your excellencies Don Onofrio! How are we?

Excellency, I hand you back the palace...

...in the exact state in which it was left

I am proud to shake the hand of the hero wounded fighting at Palermo Wounded? They made me a captain because I got a gnat in my eye

You've done much for the cause, Don Calogero Crispi speaks very highly of you

Dear Teresina, what a pleasure to see you again

And you, of course, Don Ciccio. What news?

News? I haven't any, Excellency Will you excuse me now?

Remember to invite them to dinner tonight, with their wives Why the wives? It's better Invite Don Calogero and tell him to bring his wife The lawyer with his wife Don Ciccio, who thank God hasn't a wife All the others to come after dinner

What is it? It's Mim�, Excellency

Father Pirrone asks to see you at once

All right. Show him in

I beg your pardon, Excellency. I didn't know Don't be shocked, Father You're used to souls being bared; bare bodies are much more innocent Just give me the towel

Go on, be brave, Father

Brisker, Father

Take my advice: Take a bath yourself now and then

Take a seat, then

Tell me why you wanted to talk to me so urgently

I have been entrusted with a very delicate mission A person very dear to you wanted to open her heart to me, to tell you...

She has faith, perhaps mistaken, in the esteem with which you honor me Can't you be more concise?

Who are you referring to? The Princess?

No, Excellency. The Princess is very tired and she is resting now It concerns signorina Concetta

She is in love Signorina Concetta? But how...

Oh, such foolishness

I regret having disturbed you I did not think...

At forty-five a man may still think he's young...

...until he realizes his children are old enough to fall in love Then old age suddenly comes crashing down on him

You haven't asked me who the young man is, whom Concetta...

There's no need

Why didn't that stupid girl come to tell me?

Well, in your opinion, what should I say?

The desire to found a Christian family is most welcome to the church The presence of Our Lord at the wedding in Cana...

Let us not digress, Father. I intend to speak about this marriage...

...not the wedding in Cana, nor marriage in general Has Don Tancredi made a definite proposal? When?

Well, Excellency, not actually a proposal But Concetta has no doubts. His attentions, his looks...

...certain words... she is sure he loves her...

...and feels he will propose at any moment Don't worry, Father, there's no immediate danger These are the fantasies of a romantic schoolgirl But why "danger", Excellency?

Can you imagine her as an ambassador's wife in Vienna, or St. Petersburg?

I love Concetta. I like her So placid, so submissive But Tancredi has a great future before him How can Concetta, so passively virtuous, so shy and reserved...

...help an ambitious husband ascend the slippery steps of a new society?

Tancredi will find money useful Concetta has her dowry, of course But the Salina fortune will have to be divided into seven parts I repeat, seven parts. Tancredi needs something else entirely

One of the Sutera girls, perhaps?

Yes, I know. They're so ugly, poor things, but so rich But what? Love?

Of course, love. Fire and flame for one year, ashes for thirty I also know what love is Excellency, which clothes will you wear for dinner?

Father, you'll tell Concetta I'm not at all annoyed...

...but we'll discuss it when we are sure it's not romantic fantasy What suit? One for evening wear

Papa! Don Calogero's coming up the stairs - in tails!

This news has impressed you more than the landing at Marsala Don Calogero in white tie; the sign of the revolution on the march

Yes, it's true, in tails. But look at them

And the shoes

My wife is unwell; a slight cold I'm very sorry I hope you will excuse me if my daughter Angelica comes in her place

But certainly. Come in

For a month she's talked of the pleasure it would give her to come I remember her well as a very pretty little girl We shall be happy to see her again

She will be here in a moment; she wasn't quite ready Our house is just over the road, as you know Yes, Don Calogero. We'll wait for her

As I told you, the church is really in a sorry state

Lovely

My Angelica I haven't seen you for so long; you have changed... and not for the worse

We are very fortunate, signorina Angelica...

...to welcome such a lovely flower into our home I hope we shall have the pleasure of seeing you very often Thank you, Prince. You are as kind to me as you have always been to Papa

How do you do, signorina Concetta?

Angelica, as children we were never so formal

Your Grace, allow me to present my daughter Angelica

Dinner is served

Several layers, as tradition demands

Was the journey very tiring? Not unduly They haven't served you yet, I'm sorry

A beautiful daughter Yes, Concetta The villa I'm having built outside the village will be modest, but...

...very comfortable

How hungry we are; a good thing we didn't start with soup

Unforgettable days, I tell you Only one word of command, from mouth to mouth: Arms and soldiers The General realized that when Sicilians get going, they do it well

Why did you join Garibaldi?

"If Garibaldi is your brother-in-arms he wants only to fight at your side"

Those are his own words. I did not think it would be so strenuous I've never walked so much. Oh, the night march to Gibilrossa...

Did you meet Bixio?

What a determined man All of them determined and extraordinary The scene between Bixio and La Masa, at which I just happened to be present And I was briefly at the taking of Termini

I enjoyed myself enormously, believe me We had the biggest laugh on 28th May The General needed a lookout post in the Origlione monastery We knocked, we swore - nobody answered the door It was a convent for a closed order of nuns

By the way, Reverend...

...tomorrow we'll pray at the tomb of the reverend mother Corbera Excellent. Those good nuns...

...have already been informed to expect your excellencies They're in a flurry of preparation for your visit We've never missed going there the day after our arrival

And then? What happened?

I'll tell you Tassoni, Aldrighetti and I and someone else...

...tried to break down the door, to no avail So we ran to get a beam from a shelled house nearby Finally, with an infernal din, the door gave way We entered. Everywhere was deserted Suddenly we heard desperate twitterings...

...from around the corner of a corridor Taking refuge in the chapel, the nuns were piled up against the altar Who knows what they feared from those ten fed-up young lads

It was comic to see them, old and ugly as they were...

...with their black habits, startled eyes, all ready and willing...

...for martyrdom...

...whining like b*tches

Our handsome Tassoni yelled:

"We've no time, sisters. We'll return when you've got us some young novices"

All the boys fell about laughing We left the disappointed nuns and went to fire on the king's troops Ten minutes later I was wounded How I wish I'd been there with you all If you'd been there, there would have been no need to wait for novices

Tancredi. Such crude stories should be told to your confessor You do not tell them to young ladies at table At least, not when I am present

He's right, I agree, and I'll help him, too

But it can't be denied he's a little ignoble

Oh, the lovely Gigogin

At fifteen she made love

Take a step forward, darling of my heart At sixteen she got married Take a step forward, darling of my heart At seventeen I left Take a step forward, darling of my heart

Long live Italy! Long live Garibaldi!

Don't be so sad, Father. We aren't following a funeral The wind... this dreadful wind Thank the Lord. Without wind the air would be fetid

You must vote in an orderly fashion. The first to arrive vote first

The Cavour of Donnafugata

Excellency, this is a great honor for me

No. Father Pirrone is not resident here Voting is suspended for a few minutes May I have the honor...

...of inviting you for modest refreshment?

I think the white will be lighter A late homage to the Bourbon flag

I really cannot drink today; I have a most aggravating stomach upset That's of secondary importance on such a day Thank you, I never drink

Don Calogero, for my part I accept with pleasure

I'd like to say a few words...

...but great joys, Prince, are silent

It is with great emotion that I perform this task

I have the very great honor...

...to announce the result of the plebiscite of our community

In the year 1860, 22nd October, in Donnafugata...

...at six p. M...

...the municipal electoral committee met...

...to examine the votes given in the plebiscite...

...by the population of this community The Sicilian people want Italy to be one and indivisible...

...with Victor Emmanuel...

...as constitutional monarch, and his legitimate descendants

All the votes having been taken and due...

All the votes having been taken and due scrutiny made...

...the following results have been obtained Electors registered: 515 Votes cast: 512 Voting YES: 512

Voting NO: Zero

And you, Don Ciccio, how did you vote on the 21st?

What are you afraid of? There's only us, the wind and the dogs Excuse me, but your question is pointless You know very well everyone in Donnafugata votes YES It's even said that you advised waverers to vote that way That's very true

So you voted YES?

No, Excellency. I voted NO No, a hundred times no All right, I know what you told me For necessity, unity and opportunity. Perhaps you were right I don't understand politics and I leave these things to others But Ciccio Tumeo is a gentleman A failed artist, poor and miserable, with worn-out trousers...

...but I hadn't forgotten benefits received, you know that, Excellency It was Queen Isabella, the Spanish one...

...who then was Duchess of Calabria - she made me study...

...and allowed me to be where I am today...

...organist at the Holy Church, paid by the kindness of Your Excellency

In the years when our need was great, my mother sent an entreaty to Court...

...and financial assistance arrived, as sure as death If those kings and queens looked down from heaven, what would they say?

That the son of Leonardo Tomeo betrayed them? No!

No, Excellency Thank goodness, the truth is known in paradise

I admire your loyalty and devotion But understand that people are over- excited by this Garibaldi's victory

The plebiscite was the only and urgent remedy against anarchy. Believe me For us it's only a lesser evil The Savoyards, basically...

...are a monarchy The interests of the people you love, to whom you are devoted...

...emerge from these events thwarted, I agree...

...but still alive, still valid

Something had to change...

...so that everything might remain as it was before

The revolution's work is done. Let's hope new Italy can live and prosper

But I voted NO The town hall pigs swallowed my opinion and shat it out as they chose

I said "black" and they've made me say "white"

I was a "loyal subject" and I've become a "foul Bourbon"

Now, they're all Savoyards Savoyards! I eat them for breakfast!

Tell me something. You see so many in the district What do you really think of Don Calogero?

I thought I'd shown my opinion clearly enough I'd be quite interested to know the truth about him and his family

The truth, Excellency, is that Don Calogero is very rich...

...and also very influential Avaricious, and fiendishly intelligent, too You should have seen him in April and May, swooping about like a bat In a carriage, riding a mule, or on foot, rain or shine Wherever he went, secret groups were formed...

...preparing the way for those who were to come A scourge of God, Excellency We've only seen the start of Don Calogero's career In a few months, he'll be a member of the parliament in Turin In a few years, when the church's property is auctioned off...

...for a handful of coins...

...he'll pick up their land at Fondacello...

...and become the biggest landowner in the province There, that's who Don Calogero is...

...an example of the new man It's a pity he has to be like that

And the rest of the family? What are the others like?

Nobody has seen Calogero's wife for years Except myself, perhaps She comes out only to go to first Mass, at five, when no one's about Once I got up early specially, just to see her Word of honor, she's as beautiful as the sun You can't blame him, cockroach though he is, for keeping her from other men

But even from the best-guarded houses...

...word trickles out, servants talk It seems that Donna Bastiana is a kind of animal Illiterate, can't tell the time, she hardly knows how to speak She's incapable, too, of loving her daughter

Good for bed, and that's all Besides, it can't be otherwise. Do you know whose daughter she was?

One of your share-croppers at Runci Peppe Giunta his name was He was so foul-smelling and uncouth, everyone called him Peppe sh*t Excuse the word, Excellency Two years after Don Calogero ran off with Bastiana...

...Peppe was found dead with twelve shotgun pellets in his back

And I hoped that Tancredi would marry Concetta He's a traitor, like all such liberals First he betrayed the king, and now us He with his false face...

...with his words dripping honey and his actions dripping poison This is what happens...

...when you take into your house people not of your own blood

I always said so, but nobody listens to me I never could stand that dandy; you alone were enamored of him And now he has the effrontery to ask you, his uncle, Prince of Salina...

...father of the girl he's deceived, to take his proposal to that rogue...

...the father of that trollop... Fabrizio, you shall not do it!

You don't know what you're saying. Angelica is not a trollop

She may become one, but now she's like any other girl, only more beautiful...

...who simply wants to make a good marriage Maybe she's a little in love with our Tancredi, as they all are, after all And she has a lot of money, Stella Our money, largely, administered well, too well even, by Don Calogero Tancredi needs that money He's a nobleman, ambitious, spendthrift. He needs a lot of money As for Concetta, he's never said anything to her, so he's no traitor He moves with his times, that's all; both in politics and in private life Besides, he's the dearest young man I know. Even you know that

I want no whimpering in my house, either in my room or in my bed No more "You shall not do it." I make the decisions I decided this long ago. And now no more about it

Now let us sleep

Tomorrow I am getting up early to go hunting

You've told me about them all: Wild mothers and faecal grandfathers...

...but nothing about what interests me, about Angelica

There's nothing to say; she speaks for herself Her mother's beauty without her grandfather's stench. A real lady When she returned from college she played me the old mazurka I wrote She played badly, but to see her was a delight...

...with her black hair, those eyes, that skin, that bosom Some difference from the stink of goats Her sheets must have the fragrance of paradise Calm down, Don Ciccio From now on you'll have to speak of Angelica with all due respect This very day I'm asking Calogero for her hand for my nephew Tancredi You're the first to know, but you'll pay for this privilege You'll be locked up in the g*n-room with the dogs...

...until after Calogero's visit; I want nothing to leak out in advance

This is disgraceful, obscene He can't marry the daughter of your enemies. They've always opposed you If he seduced her, that would be a conquest, but this is pure surrender It's the end of the Falconeri family and the Salinas

The marriage is not the end of anything, but the start And it's in our best traditions

These are things you can't understand

Let's go home. And we're agreed, aren't we?

Let there be no misunderstanding, or a big fuss over a little kiss Remember, it was I who asked you to come here

I wish to tell you about a letter written by my nephew...

...received this very night, in fact In it he declares his love for your daughter...

...and asks me to ask you...

...officially, for Angelica's hand

Now it's your turn to declare your intentions

Excuse me, Prince This lovely surprise has robbed me of speech I know well what Angelica feels in her heart and mind...

...and I think that Tancredi's feelings, which honor us all...

...are sincerely reciprocated

We ask for God's protection for this wedding Your joy is mine, Excellency

It's turning stormy

No need for me to tell you how illustrious the Falconeri family is It came to Sicily with Charles of Anjou, flourished under the Aragons...

...the Spanish kings and the Bourbons, if you'll allow me to mention them They were peers of the realm, grandees of Spain, Knights of St. James

But if there's no need to tell you of the history of the house of Falconeri...

...I need not tell you, alas, because you already know...

...that my nephew's fortune does not match the grandeur of his name My brother-in-law was not what one calls a provident father The sumptuousness of his life impaired my nephew's inheritance But, Don Calogero, the result of all these troubles...

...of these heartbreaks, is Tancredi The two of us know these things Perhaps it is impossible to be as distinguished...

...sensitive and charming as Tancredi...

...unless ancestors have squandered fortunes. That's how it is in Sicily I know all this, and more besides But love, Excellency, love is all...

...as I know well Now listen I'm a man of the world and I'll put my cards on the table, too These young people must know what they can count on

In the marriage contract, I'll assign to my daughter...

...the deeds to Settesoli

One thousand and ten hectares All wheat fields, first-class land...

...cool and airy...

...and five hundred hectares of vineyards and olive groves...

...at Gibildolce

On the wedding day I'll give the bridegroom...

...twenty bags, each with 10,000 uncias

My family means everything to me Nobody has seen Calogero's wife for years Except myself, perhaps. She comes out only to go to first Mass...

...at five, when no one's about Once I got up early specially, just to see her Word of honor, she's as beautiful as the sun

You can't blame him, cockroach though he is...

...for keeping her from other men

Of course, it leaves me a beggar, but a daughter is a daughter And after all, Prince, I know what I'm telling you...

...won't impress you, a descendant of Emperor Titus and Queen Berenice...

...but the Sedara family, by a title granted by Ferdinand the Fourth...

...is also nobility

I've all the papers in order. One day it will be known that your nephew...

...has married a baroness, the Baroness Sedara del Biscotto

Don Pirrone, I've all the papers in order; just one seal to get

I'm sorry, Don Ciccio, but I had no choice I hope at least that all went well Yes, perfectly. It couldn't have gone better

We'll meet again soon. And forgive me

It was a cold January day The atmosphere seemed even heavier when the biting north wind dropped For many hours it had been snowing great white flakes On that deserted road, a poor old horse, a rough blanket on its back...

...wearily dragged a two-wheeled cart

"Oh, you damned beast", cried the peasant...

...who habitually talked to his horse

Excellency, Don Tancredi has arrived He is in the courtyard having his luggage unloaded

Not too close, uncle; I'm as wet as a sponge

How pleased I am to see you again Tancredi, think how happy Angelica will be Forgive me, but my emotion caused me to forget My friend, Count Cavriaghi; he came to the villa with the General And there is my orderly, Lancer Moroni

We were expecting you, but in this weather...

They arrived in this storm

I'd heard it never rains here For two days it was like being in the sea. Really

Aunt, here's Count Cavriaghi from Milan. You met him in Palermo

You thought it never rains in Sicily. As you've seen, it pours And don't think there's no pneumonia here, or you'll end up in bed

Light fires in Tancredi's room and in the visitor's room Get the next room ready for the soldier. Hurry!

I don't understand, boys Last time you were lobster-red What do you mean?

Don't you Garibaldi fellows wear the red shirt any more?

Garibaldi fellows be blowed!

We were, but now that's over Cavriaghi and I, thank heaven...

...are officers of the regular army of His Majesty the King of Italy When Garibaldi's army was disbanded we had the choice:

Either return home, or stay in the royal army We and many others decided to join the proper army We couldn't stay with that lot, could we, Cavriaghi?

What rabble!

as*ault troops, good for f*ring g*ns, that's all Now we're proper officers People no longer fear we'll steal their chickens When we came here from Palermo...

...we had only to say: "Urgent orders for His Majesty" to get fresh horses Tell me everything later. Now go and change and have a bath

First I want to show you the ring for Angelica

I'm no judge, but it looks valuable Beautiful, isn't it? Do you like it?

Did you pay a lot for it?

I used your money well; I confess I haven't used all you gave me There was even enough to buy... Some parting gifts? I understand Our lieutenant is back. What is that?

A small present for signorina Concetta

"The Poems of Aleardi". I hope she likes it

They are poems by Aleardi, my favorite poet I brought it as a gift; I've had your monogram inscribed here

"Always deaf"? What does it mean? I hear perfectly Deaf to my sighs

Excuse me, but I was told...

A gift for you from your Tancredi You can thank my uncle, too

Angelica! Tancredi! Where are you?

It's mouse-ridden

Come along

Angelica, where are you?

Tancredi, where are you?

How frightening. Do you know there are mice here?

I'm sure, in this house. But where is Tancredi?

I can't find him Tancredi! Angelica! Where are you?

I frightened you, didn't I?

There she is again. Let's run away No. Where are we going? I'm dead tired How big the place is; how many rooms are there?

No one knows, not even my uncle He says a palace where you know all the rooms isn't worth living in

Come on, the poor thing is alone What about the others?

Concetta has gone back to the garden Francesco Paolo was sent by your uncle...

...to welcome a guest Who is he? I don't know; he's from Turin Then let's go No, I don't want to see anything else I'm leaving. What am I doing here? Concetta doesn't love me Have you spoken to her?

It's useless. I feel that for her...

...I'm just a worm; so I must find a lady worm who'll be happy with me Talk to her; there'll be time later to decide. Maybe it's all for the best I'll explain: Concetta's a pure Sicilian, she's never left the island How would she cope in Milan, where it takes a month to find real macaroni?

I'd have got her crates of your macaroni, bigger than this We'll make our way separately, then?

Poor Count, it's useless; Concetta does not want to know him She's foolish. After all, what does she want?

Cavriaghi is handsome, has a good name, owns land in Brianza He's what's known as a good catch

Concetta is still in love with you

That's why you brought him here

Yes, that's what I think

No, I'll tell you

Then listen carefully. Concetta's right Marrying someone like him after loving you would be like water after...

After what? Let's say Marsala wine

Strange rooms. How could anyone have lived in such apartments?

No one has ever lived here, my love My ancestors came here to commit their little breaches of the rules...

...and obtain special memories so different from ordinary mortals

Breaches of the rules?

They were bored, my love

Are you the Chevalier Aymone Chevalley de Monterzuolo?

I am I am the Prince of Salina's son

My father sent me to invite you to stay with us at the palace That's very kind of you Do replace your hat; our sun is strong Thank you. You, too I did intend to leave as soon as I had talked with the Prince In any case, to talk to my father you'll have to come home

Is that the palace up there?

Where are Tancredi and Angelica?

Not upstairs; they must have returned to the garden It's terrible. You know I must chaperone Angelica

Do you think I won't love you any more?

You're afraid I desire you, but I won't possess you until you are my wife

My poor leg, I'm afraid

Here's the guest

What does he want from you?

I don't know. He's traveled round Sicily for a month; he must be forlorn The oil in our cooking must have sorely tried his insides He fears a brigand's Kn*fe in the stomach, which he still cherishes I'd like to suggest we play whist

What do you say to a game of cards?

Excellency, if I could have the honor of a talk. I must leave tomorrow Leave tomorrow? Are you not comfortable here?

Yes, certainly My dear Chevalley, you are in my house...

...and I'll hold you hostage as long as I please

Beware of Father Pirrone, he's a terror. He always wins Please be seated. I'll be your partner

I'll keep the score

Excuse me, are you really from Milan? However did you end up down here?

Although I abuse the Prince's hospitality, I feel much at home here

Let me be your guide in Donnafugata; I'll show you Baron Mutolo's house Francesco Paulo, don't start that It's empty; the family lives at Girgenti...

...since brigands held the Baron's son for ransom ten years ago When I think what they must have paid to free him They paid nothing. They had no ready cash, like everybody here The son was returned, anyway, but in installments In installments? What are you saying?

Yes, installments: Piece by piece First came the index finger of his right hand Then, a week later, his left foot Finally, in a basket under a layer of figs...

...they sent his head That's enough of those stories I never saw it because I was a child, but my father told me I'd say the Bourbon police were incompetent Without doubt, Chevalley We had incidents in our region. My father was an overseer...

...a risky job, at least until a while ago...

...for him and for his family When our carabinieri come here, all this will end So, contrary to certain propaganda...

...respect for the church will be restored and defended as it once was Let us hope a little better...

...because five years ago a curate was m*rder*d while he conducted Mass How horrible. A sh**ting in the church?

sh**ting, my dear Chevalley?

We're too good Catholics to do anything so sacrilegious No, they simply put poison in the communion wine More discreet, almost liturgical, I'd say But who did it? The curate was an excellent person who had no enemies Very interesting, Prince, really amusing You should write novels; you tell these stories so well Yes, they're all stories. Believe me, I'm from Milan Sicily is a great country After the happy annexation...

...that is, after the happy union of Sicily and the Kingdom of Sardinia...

...it's the intention of the Turin government...

...to nominate certain illustrious Sicilians as Senators of the Kingdom Of course, your name was among the first A name made illustrious by its long history...

...by the prestige of its bearer...

...his erudition and the dignified and liberal action taken in recent events Before I send the list to Turin...

...my superiors thought it proper to inform you yourself...

...and ask if you find the proposal acceptable The government hopes very much that you will agree This is the object of my mission...

...which has given me the honor of knowing you and this fine palace

Explain to me, Chevalley...

...what does it mean to be a Senator?

What is it? An honorary title, like a decoration?

The Senate is the Upper House of our kingdom In it they examine and debate...

...approve or reject laws proposed by government for the country's progress When you are a Senator...

...you'll make heard the voice of your beautiful land...

...which now faces the panorama of the modern world...

...with so many wounds to heal, so many just desires to satisfy

Listen, Chevalley I'm grateful to the government for thinking of me for the Senate If it were a simple honorary title to put on my visiting card...

...I'd accept with pleasure But as it is... no, I cannot accept

I am a spokesman of the old class...

...fatally compromised with the past r�gime...

...bound to it by bonds of decency, if not affection My unhappy generation straddles two worlds and is uneasy in either Moreover, I am completely without illusions What would the Senate do with me, an inexperienced legislator...

...who lacks self-deception, which is essential when seeking to guide others?

No, I wouldn't put one finger into politics; they'd bite it off Prince, I can't believe it Are you seriously refusing to do whatever possible to alleviate...

...the material poverty and blind moral misery in which Sicilians lie?

We are old, Chevalley, very old For twenty-five centuries we have borne magnificent civilizations...

...all from abroad, none made by us, none which started here For 2,500 years we've been nothing but a colony I don't say that to scourge myself. It's our fault But we are very tired, empty, burnt-out But all that is finished now Sicily is no longer a land of conquest, but a free part of a free state

The intention is good, but it arrives late

A sleep, my dear Chevalley. A long sleep is what the Sicilians want...

...and they'll always hate those who want to wake them...

...even if it is to bring them marvelous gifts Between ourselves, I doubt if the new kingdom will have many gifts for us

With us, every demonstration, even violent, is a longing for oblivion

Our sensuality is a desire for oblivion Our sh**t and our stabbings are the desire for death Our laziness, the penetrating sweetness of our sorbets...

...are a desire for voluptuous immobility, which again is death

Prince, aren't you exaggerating?

I've met Sicilians in Turin; they seemed anything but sluggards I haven't explained very well. I'm sorry I said Sicilians, I meant Sicily This environment, the v*olence of the landscape...

...the cruelty of the climate, the continuous tension in everything But the climate can be mastered, the landscape can be modified...

...the record of bad governments erased Of course, the Sicilians will want to improve I don't deny that some, away from the island, can succeed in awakening But they must leave very young. Even at twenty the shell has been formed The man you need...

...must know how to temper his private interests with vague public idealism

Might I give you some advice to pass on to your superiors?

There's a name I'd like to suggest for the Senate

The name of Calogero Sedara He deserves much more than I to be elected The family name, I'm told, is very ancient - or will be soon He has more than what you call prestige; he has power He may not be learned, but he has almost exceptional practical merits His activity was most useful during the May crisis...

...as far as illusions go

I don't think he has more than I have...

...but he's clever enough to create some himself; he's the man for you

I've heard tell about Sedara But if honest men like you withdraw...

...the road will be open to people without scruples or perspective...

...like Sedara, and for centuries to come all will be as it was Listen to your conscience, Prince, not to the proud truths you spoke

I beg you to collaborate

You're a gentleman and I consider it a privilege to have known you You are right in everything

Except when you say the Sicilians will want to improve They'll never want to improve because they think themselves perfect Their vanity is stronger than their wretchedness

Sit down for a moment I want to tell you something

A few days before Garibaldi entered Palermo...

...some English naval officers...

...asked me if they could go on the terrace of my house...

...where they could see the ring of mountains around the city They were enthusiastic about the view...

...but confessed their amazement at the squalor and filth in the streets I didn't explain, as I did with you, that the one derived from the other

One of the officers asked:

"What are Garibaldi's men coming to do here?"

I replied: "They're coming to teach us manners

"But they won't succeed, because we're gods"

They laughed, but I don't think they understood

It's late, almost time for dinner We must go and change If you wish, you can leave tomorrow at dawn

Even if you don't believe me, this state of affairs won't last Our efficient, modern administration will change everything This state of affairs ought not to last, but it always will The human element, certainly; a century or two Later, perhaps everything will be different, but it will be worse

We were the leopards, the lions Those who replace us will be the jackals, the hyenas And all of us, leopards, lions, jackals and sheep...

...will continue to think we're the salt of the earth I don't quite understand. What did you say?

Nothing What did you say? I didn't hear

You've arrived early. Don't worry, there's no sign of your guests yet

Tancredi's here. We're expecting Pallavicino, the hero of Aspromonte

Thank you again, aunt. It was essential to invite them You understand. This will be Angelica's real d�but in society What about Calogero's tail-suit?

It's not the one he wore at Donnafugata I took him to the best tailor; it's Don Calogero who lacks style

Mamma, may I go and dance? Of course. Tidy yourself a little You are very beautiful, like a flower

I don't care for these balls, but one had to come for the girls

Colonel, I am most honored to see you I have the honor to present you to Colonel Pallavicino

I am proud and happy to receive the victor of Aspromonte in my house How kind, Princess. It is I who am happy on this occasion I hope you and your officers will spend a pleasant evening in our home

It really is an honor for us. All Palermo is at your feet, Colonel

The Princess of Lampedusa

Countess Sutera

The Princess of Salina

I'm going to see if Angelica has arrived

Colonel, but tell us, is it really true?

I was crying, Countess, like a child How moving But what was Garibaldi like?

He was handsome and serene as an archangel Magnificent, a hero. A real hero. Isn't he extraordinary, my dear?

The Colonel is trying to reassure them after his men fired on Garibaldi's men Those sh*ts were really most opportune

You're late; I was waiting for you

You are very beautiful. Come and greet the Princess

Permit me to present my fianc�e, Angelica Sedara My dear, let me look at you Yes, it's true. You are more beautiful than they say

What's this? Knight's Cross of the Italian Crown It's out of place here I've never doubted your good taste My father-in-law, the Chevalier Don Calogero Sedara

Nice here, isn't it, Princess? You like it?

Tancredi, don't you want to present me to your fianc�e?

Allow me to present a friend, Gioacchino Lanza And this is Fulco...

Tancredi may protest, but may I have the honor of the next waltz?

All right, boys. Don't hurry, there'll be time later

I'm sorry, I'm not to blame. The lady has to choose her partners It's a waltz. Shall we dance?

I haven't greeted your uncle yet Do it later. Come and dance

You are very beautiful, as always; it's the truth

Bored, Fabrizio?

All these marriages between cousins do not improve the beauty of the race They look like monkeys, ready to climb up the chandeliers...

...where they'll swing by their tails, exhibiting their behinds

Eleonora Giardinelli...

...a white swan in a pond full of frogs My compliments on your nephew's engagement The girl's a beauty. Many will soon follow his example What did you say?

I said it's hot, too hot here Yes, it is hot. I should not have come

I'm somewhat tired, but now I'm here and I must stay It would be discourteous to leave now

Good evening. Tina, I have four dances booked with Giovanni

Princess, I'd be most happy if you would do me the honor...

Colonel, it's years since I danced... so many lovely ladies are here...

Nice, Prince, really beautiful Places like this aren't made nowadays, with the current price of gold

Yes, very nice, truly beautiful But nothing equals our two young people

Angelica wanted to greet you. But why are you here alone?

Are you flirting with death?

You're really magnificent

Isn't it odd that Don Diego keeps this morbid picture?

If Don Diego enters this library once a year, it's a miracle Yes, you're right

I wonder if my death will resemble this The linen will not be so spotless The sheets of the dying are always so soiled...

...and I hope that Concetta and the others will be more decently dressed But I think all in all it will be the same

What are you saying, uncle? What are you thinking of?

I often think of death. The idea doesn't frighten me You young people cannot understand such things For you, death does not exist, it's something for other people

We must have repairs done to our family vault

Give me your handkerchief, please

We knew you were here and we came for a rest...

...but also to ask you something

I hope you won't refuse me

I wanted to ask you to dance the next mazurka with me Don't be lazy; everyone knows you're a good dancer I've never had such an attractive proposal, but I must refuse Please, Prince

You make me feel young again. I accept, but not the mazurka That would make me feel too young. Grant me the next waltz

See how good your uncle is. He doesn't have tantrums like you

He didn't want me to ask you. He's jealous

When one has a handsome uncle like him, it's natural to be jealous But this time I'll make an exception

A waltz, without even having to ask the orchestra. Do you like it?

It's a waltz. Or perhaps you have already changed your mind No, of course not

They're all so kind and I'm so happy, uncle Tancredi is a darling, and so are you It's as well Tancredi can't hear you I know I owe everything to you So does Tancredi. Because if you had not wanted...

He'd have married you, anyway You owe everything to yourself No, it's not true It is true, Angelica

No man like Tancredi would ever have resisted your beauty

I'd heard that you were a good dancer, Prince I'm sorry to have disappointed you again You're much more than a good dancer, you're a really delightful dancer

Yes, it's my father The next dance A mazurka, then They're all looking at us, Prince

What a beautiful girl that is, dancing with your father

The applause was muted, because a lion commands respect...

...but you deserved an ovation And now come to our table No, my memories of my youth are still vivid and I know very well...

...how boring it would be for you to dine with an old uncle That's not true It is. Lovers wish to be alone. Anyway, I am not very hungry Go with Tancredi and don't think of me

Fabrizio, you're still a good dancer

Fabrizio, how are you?

Fabrizio, aren't you eating? You seem a little uncertain The choice is too great. Donna Margherita knows how to do things All this calls for stomachs other than mine

How marvelous these candelabra are From Madrid. A gift to Don Diego's grandfather when he was ambassador How much land would they be worth, eh?

The utmost emotion of my life What a great bore

Prince Salina. Will you do us the honor of sitting at our table?

Now the left wants to crucify me, because...

...in August I ordered my lads to open fire on Garibaldi But, Prince, what else could I do, with the written orders I had?

I must confess, though...

...when at Aspromonte I faced those hundreds of Garibaldi's men...

...some hardened veterans...

...others who looked like professional rebels...

I was happy those orders were so close to my own sentiments

Then, I'll tell you in confidence...

...my short burst of sh**ting helped Garibaldi above all I liberated him from the g*ng that had attached itself to him...

...who were using him for ends desired perhaps by Paris or Rome Yes, it's true Individuals very different from those who landed at Marsala two years ago People who thought Italy could be created with revolutions like in 1848 He... I mean General Garibaldi, as you know...

...at the moment of my now famous genuflection, he shook my hand Do you know what he said to me quietly?

"Thank you, Colonel"

"For what?" I asked. "For laming you for the rest of your life?"

No, but for making him understand, to see with his own eyes the swaggering...

...the vile behavior and perhaps worse of his dubious adherents Please excuse me, dear Colonel Don't you think your bows and compliments overdid things a bit?

No. Certainly no You should have seen him, that poor, great man...

...lying under a chestnut tree, suffering in his body...

...but even more in his spirit. Pitiful Didn't he say himself, when landing again in Sicily:

"We are going towards the unknown"

It was difficult to resist emotion Besides, why should I have resisted?

I kiss the hand of ladies only

But then, Prince, I also kissed the hand of the salvation of the kingdom...

...which is also a lady to whom we m*llitary men must pay homage

I ask your pardon. Diego, excuse me

Three balls in one week, it's too much I can't wait for it to end. I can't think why everybody is so merry Give me a hairpin

How boring

Until we've finished with all these invitations, we must stay in the city I can't wait to return to our villa at San Lorenzo, to our quiet life What are you saying? I'd like this ball to go on for ever, it's lovely What will the Trabias' ball be like?

I've ordered a green dress. Bright green How about you?

I'm so happy. Tancredi is so sweet. You are all so sweet to me I wish you were happier What can I do about it? I've never liked being among people I don't even like dancing; I've never been able to dance well

It depends on your partner; find a partner you like No, I'm not interested Do you know how many young men would be happy to court you?

You discourage them all

Like poor Cavriaghi, remember?

How you treated him, poor man

There you are. I couldn't find you anywhere We're tidying ourselves. Anyway, I couldn't find you, you had vanished I went to hear what the Colonel was saying He's no genius, but he says many very sensible things It's true, the new kingdom needs order, legality, laws It needs to stifle, first of all...

...any attempts at anarchy; no more adventures or disorders Even if that entails severe or painful methods...

...like sh**ting those hotheads who deserted to go back with Garibaldi Do you think they'll sh**t them?

Didn't you know? This morning at dawn. And it's right; they were deserters

You would not have spoken like that once

My dear, you are mistaken I've always spoken like this Therefore, these are things you cannot understand

Concetta, wait Let me go!

I think I understand very well I said you wouldn't have spoken like that once. That's enough for me

She's so sweet, especially when she becomes angry

Poor Concetta. The truth is, she's still in love with you

And are you still in love with me? Yes

Have you seen the Prince of Salina?

Don Calogero, it's time to go. Pull yourself together

Coffee, please. Hot coffee

Thank you for this unforgettable evening Must you go already?

We're going straight to the barracks, as tradition demands of us soldiers Our duty obliges us Moreover, our tasks for this night are not yet over

Tidy up a little and extinguish the candles

Dear Margherita, thank you so much for the wonderful evening. Magnificent

There you are. Aunt is looking for you everywhere Angelica, Concetta and Carolina are ready to leave Can you do me a favor, my boy? I've already said my farewells Will you call the carriage for your aunt? I'm walking back Walking? At this hour? I need some air

Don't you feel well?

A slight headache; fresh air will help Everything went very well, don't you think?

Marvelously, uncle. You know, I'll soon have some good news for you I just spoke to Finzori. It seems that at the next elections...

You'll be the candidate You knew about it?

Excuse me for a moment

O star, O faithful star!

When will you decide to give me a less fleeting appointment...

...far from everything, in your realm of perennial certainty?

An excellent army. They do things properly

Just what we needed...

...for Sicily Now...

...we can take it easy