02x06 - We Might as Well Be Strangers

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x06 - We Might as Well Be Strangers

Post by bunniefuu »

[INT. BACKSTAGE AT A CLUB – DAY]

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

(The band manager is spreading out coke onto a glass with a blade.)

MANAGER: You passed the band’s test, (Holds out a rolled up dollar bill for her to inhale the dr*gs through.) Now you gotta pass mine.

(Peyton looks at the money anxiously.)

CUT TO:

[INT. CAR – EVENING]

(Keith is in a car with Jules as she takes it for a test drive.)

JULES: Car salesmen are always such jerks.

KEITH: I’m actually a mechanic.

JULES: (Smiling) I like mechanics.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL COLLEGE – BUSINESS 101 – DAY]

(Karen talks to her teacher, not knowing it’s him.)

KAREN: It’s my first college class.

ANDY: And you’re taking it with Hargrove? This gut’s tough.

(Cut to Andy at the front of the class.)

ANDY: My name’s Andy Hargrove, welcome to my class.

(Karen looks on stunned.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE MALL – CLOTHES STORE – EVENING]

(Lucas puts his red girls shirt on the counter and adjusts his bra.)

FELIX: (v.o) It’s called ‘Dare Night’; one night, two teams, (sh*t of Tim and Nathan at a residents doorstep, holding out boxes of cookies, dressed in girl scouts uniforms.) multiple dares. (sh*t of Felix talking to all of them.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. BASEBALL FIELD – PITCHING MACHINES – EVENING]

(Peyton gets hit on the head with a baseball and falls.)

HALEY: (Aghast) Oh! My gosh!

CUT TO:

[INT. CLUB – THE STAGE – EVENING]

(Mouth, Skills and Fergie stand on the stage, singing ‘Baby Got Back’ by Sir Mix-A-Lot.)

MOUTH: (v.o) What do we win?

FELIX: (v.o) A night to remember.

CUT TO:

[INT. LOCKER ROOMS – LOCKERS – EVENING]

(Tim stands by the lockers with the rest of the guys, smiling.)

TIM: I’m in it to win it.

CUT TO:

[INT. MASSAGE AND SPA – TREATMENT ROOM – EVENING]

(The masseuse rips a wax strip off of Tim’s ‘underneath’ as he yells in pain.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE FOUNTAIN – EVENING]

(Anna and Lucas are fishing for money in the wishing fountain.)

ANNA: (Counting) Three dollars aaand…eighty cents.

CUT TO:

[INT. THE RESTAURANT - PHOTO BOOTH – EVENING]

(Lucas pushes four quarters into the slots of the photo booth. The camera takes multiple sh*ts of Lucas and Anna kissing.)

FADE TO BLACK:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

[EXT. THE SKY – EVENING]

(sh*t of the waning moon and then the sky filled with tiny stars.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Katherine Anne Porter once said; There seems to be a kind of order in the universe…in the movement of the stars and the turning of the Earth and the changing of the seasons. (Camera pans across the starry sky. Fade to Lucas walking up the River Walk in the morning, thinking and smiling.) But human life is almost pure chaos. Everyone takes his stance, (Lucas stops at a square of concrete filled with muddy water.) asserts his own right and feelings, mistaking the motives of others, (He pulls a bag of money out of his pocket.) and his own. (He drops all of the money into the water, takes more money out of his pocket, looks at it for a b*at and flips it in too.)

(Lucas smiles and looks at the cloudy sky.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. FELIX’S HOUSE – DOORSTEP – DAY]

ANNA: Felix, let’s get going! I don’t wanna be late! (She walks down the front, stone, steps.)

(Felix walks out of the front door smiling.)

FELIX: Your skirt’s a little short isn’t it? (Anna turns and gives him a pissed off look.) I’m just looking out for you. (Points to the house.)

ANNA: Can we just go? (Turns back.)

FELIX: Sure, as soon as you discover pants. You know why? Because first impressions are important Anna. (She turns to him, royally annoyed.) And yours says (something Spanish.) all night.

ANNA: You know what, I’ll ride the bus.

FELIX: (o.s) Anna OK! (She ignores him and continues walking. Brooke is leaning against her dads car, smirking.) Come on!

ANNA: (o.s) NO!

FELIX: (o.s) I’m just playing.

(Brooke is enjoying this.)

ANNA: (o.s) You’re being mean! (sh*t of Felix.)

BROOKE: (o.s) Let me guess. (She walks up to him, giving Anna a look first.) One of your ‘Friends with Benefits’ hoes didn’t wanna pay her deductible?

FELIX: Gross, that’s my sister.

BROOKE: (Laughing) Wait! You mean after they had you, your parents rolled the dice and kept breeding? (Looks after Anna again.) It’s risky.

FELIX: (Pointing at her.) Funny! You know, I was thinking about this whole ‘Friends with Benefits’. (Brooke looks questioningly.) Felix with Brooke. FWB.

BROOKE: Hmm…IYFD…In Your Dreams. (Walks off-screen.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL – PHYSIOTHERAPY – DAY]

(Dan is running on a treadmill, hooked up to machines while Deb sits and watches.)

PHYSIOTHERAPIST: (Pointing at Dan.) I saw you in 87; against Williamsburg. You put up, what, thirty-five points?

DAN: Thirty-seven.

PHYSIOTHERAPIST: Man you were unstoppable. You play college ball?

(Dan glares furiously at the therapist.)

DEB: (Intervening) Uh, how long until we have the results.

PHYSIOTHERAPIST: Uh, the doctor will call in a day or two but…his numbers look…(Flips open his chart.)…good for a guy who just had a heart att*ck. (Dan starts to struggle.) I tell you what I’m gonna put this on warm-down for you OK? (The treadmill beeps as he pushes buttons.) There, better? (Presses some more buttons.) How bout that?

DAN: (Slowing down to a walk.) Good, it’s good.

PHYSIOTHERAPIST: Alright, hey you take your time man.

(Dan nods and the therapist leaves. Deb gives him a look.)

DAN: How am I supposed to pass a stress test with some orderly reminding me my best days are behind me?

DEB: (Trying to make light of the situation.) (Standing) Come on, he says you’re doing fine. (Hands him a towel.)

DAN: Thanks. (Looking at the towel.) You must be happy; in forty-eight hours…you won’t have to wait on me anymore. (Perspires and breathes erratically. He stops the machine.) Well I’m not going to put my mind on waiting for a phone call. (Steps off the treadmill and unhooks himself from the machines.) Word in the paper, there’s gonna be a meteor shower this weekend. Thought maybe I’d got out and watch it from the beach house.

DEB: (Hoping he isn’t implying what she thinks he is.) Good for you Dan.

DAN: (Looks down.) (Pause) Maybe we could watch it together. (Deb looks down sighing.) You’ve been with me every step of this recovery Deb. We could go out there and…I could make you dinner. Just to say thanks. That’s all.

(Deb looks at him. She doesn’t believe him.)

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORD STORE – DAY]

(Peyton walks into the record store with some flyers. Chris the shop assistant is putting new music out along the rows. Peyton enters and knocks.)

CHRIS: (Without looking up.) Sorry, we’re closed.

PEYTON: Yeah, I know, um…(Chris looks at her.) I was just wondering if I could post this flyer on your board. (Shows it to him.) I’m…auditioning bands for a local talent night.

CHRIS: (Reading) ‘All-Ages’ night. (Peyton nods.) Tell you what, you can post it if you take your shirt off.

PEYTON: (Stunned) (Her shirt has ‘Finding Emo’ written across it.) Excuse me?!

CHRIS: Emo’s crap. Gives punk a bad name.

PEYTON: You think?

CHRIS: I do.

PEYTON: (Insulted) Huh, well I guess those who can’t do, sell records(!) you insult all your customers this way?

CHRIS: Well since we’re not really open, you’re not really a customer.

PEYTON: (b*at) Whatever, I’m going to school. (Walks to the board.)

CHRIS: Don’t forget your Get-Up-Kids lunchbox.

PEYTON: You know, its real punk to be up at seven a.m. doing inventory. (Pins the flier up.)

CHRIS: I never went to sleep.

(Peyton looks at him and stabs the flier onto the board, possibly imagining his head or heart. She turns, glaring, and leaves.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – CAR LOT – DAY]

(Keith is standing next to the new cars, on the phone.)

KEITH: Hello?

(Cut to Jules sitting in her house on the couch looking confused.)

KEITH: (Through the phone.) Jules, its Keith. Uh…(Cut to the dealership.) (Uncertainly) Keith, you know, the guy who took you on that drive.

(Cut back to Jules sitting on her couch.)

JULES: (Remembering) Gotcha.

KEITH: (Smiling) W-well the reason I’m calling is the uh…follow-up customer satisfaction survey.

(Cut to Jules.)

KEITH: (Through the phone.) On a scale of one to ten; how happy were you with the service at ‘Dan Scott Motors’?

JULES: (Smiling) Well the guy who helped me was nice and…kinda cute.

(Cut to Keith smiling.)

JULES: (Through the phone.) But he waited a whole week to call me (Cut back to Jules.) and when he did, he came up with some lame excuse about a survey.

(Cut to Keith.)

JULES: (Through the phone.) I’d give him a seven.

KEITH: Well you think we could, uh, bump that up to an eight or a nine? Maybe over…dinner tomorrow night.

JULES: Maybe if he…comes to my place and cooks for me. (Smiles.)

KEITH: (Through the phone.) OK.

(Keith smiles and snaps his phone shut.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL - WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – DAY]

(Whitey covers one eye with a piece of paper and looks at last seasons match schedule. He covers the other eyes and does the same. Lucas knocks on the open door.)

LUCAS: Hey Coach. (Enters)

WHITEY: (o.s) Scott(!)

LUCAS: How you feeling?

WHITEY: Oh, like a school girl in springtime. (Smiling) What can I do for ya?

LUCAS: Well, uh…I just wanted to talk to you about your surgery.

(Whitey’s smile drops.)

LUCAS: (o.s) Keith had told me tha-

WHITEY: (Harshly) Who gives a damn what Keith says? (sh*t of Lucas’ poker face.) (o.s) It’s not his life.

LUCAS: (Slowly) OK, uh…I-I just don’t know why you’re not going through with the surgery.

WHITEY: (Sad and scowling.) Lucas, do you know how my wife d*ed? (Lucas shakes his head slightly) In surgery. Like twenty thousand other people a year and I don’t plan to be one of them(!)

LUCAS: (Willing some patience.) Look, Coach.

WHITEY: (Slams a fist on the table and gets up angrily.) No, you look! We are not in season, there’s no practice. Now I want you to turn around and get out of my office and mind your own damn business!

(Lucas, stricken, walks out of the office. Whitey looks down dismally.)

FADE TO BLACK

COMMERCIAL SET:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – EST sh*t – DAY]

(sh*t of people walking into the school.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – HALLWAY – DAY]

(Brooke and Peyton, still holding fliers, walk into the school.)

BROOKE: This club night, is gonna rule(!)

PEYTON: Not according to the jerk at the record store. (Sticks a flier up onto the school notice board.)

BROOKE: (Confused) Huh?

NATHAN: (Looking at the flier with Haley.) What are these auditions?

HALEY: Oh, um…I think Peyton’s having like an ‘All-Ages’ night at the…at Karen’s Club. She’s kinda looking for bands or something. (Touches a flier.)

NATHAN: When do you go on?

HALEY: Not! Stop it.

NATHAN: Hales! (Sighs)

HALEY: It’s one thing to play at home for you, it’s another to get up in front of a crowd to do it and there’s no way.

WHITEY: (Approaches Nathan.) Nathan, (Holds a letter out to him.) letter came for you through my office.

NATHAN: (Looking at the envelope.) What is it?

WHITEY: (Scowling) How the hell should I know?! Do I look like the damn postmaster general?!

(Nathan watches Whitey walk away, Haley smiles.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – SCIENCE CLASS – DAY]

(The science teacher stands in front of the class, talking.)

TEACHER: A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through the cloud of dust left behind by a comet, in its orbit of the sun.

(Cut to Lucas who is looking at the picture of Anna and himself, again. He has it hidden between the pages of his science book. The teacher opens the door to a student.)

STUDENT: (Handing the teacher a note.) Here you go.

TEACHER: (Looks at it.) Lucas, you’re wanted in the office.

(Lucas looks up from the picture, slightly confused.)

TEACHER: Take your books. (Gives the note to Lucas. Lucas looks at it.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – OUTSIDE – DAY]

(Lucas opens the door and exits. He looks forward.)

ANNA: (o.s) Hey.

LUCAS: Anna? (Camera pans to show her standing there.) What are you doing here?

ANNA: I’m sorry I didn’t call you after ‘Dare Night’. Give me a chance to explain. I mean, you owe mw that.

LUCAS: (Laughs falsely.) I owe you?

ANNA: I got you out of Science didn’t I?

LUCAS: (Looks down at the pass.) Where did you get this Hall Pass anyway?

ANNA: (They walk.) I swiped it, when I met the principle. Look, I’m sorry I blew you off. (Explaining desperately.) My brother’s kind of…overprotective. Because we haven’t gone to the same school in a few years and-

LUCAS: (Stops) Wait, Felix is your brother?

ANNA: Um…(Slightly awkwardly.)…yeah. I figured you’d connect the dots sooner or later. (Lucas sighs and looks at her.) Anyway. (Pauses, trying to find the words.) I told Felix that I hadn’t met any guys and…I don’t know, I just didn’t wanna have to deal with him so I didn’t call you. I’m sorry. I-I figured when Felix saw those pictures of us in the photo booth, he’d let you know who I was. You know, I still can’t figure if he’s screwing with me or what.

LUCAS: I never gave him the pictures.

ANNA: (Surprised) Why?

LUCAS: (Pause) Because it wasn’t just about ‘Dare Night’ for me. (He smiles.)

ANNA: …Me neither. (They smile and walk together.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. MARKET STREET DOCK – DAY]

(Karen is sitting at the table Haley and Nathan sat at on Nathan’s first ever tutoring session. She’s writing something. Andy puts coffee in front of her.)

ANDY: That’s a decaf latte with one sh*t of Irish cream. (Karen looks up.)

KAREN: Thanks.

ANDY: Ah, you’ve been pouring me free coffee in the café a week, I figured I’d return the favour.

KAREN: Well unlike you I need an ‘A’, consider that coffee my apple. (Takes the coffee.)

ANDY: Um, so look. I-I was wondering if you were available tomorrow night, to um…to watch the meteor shower.

KAREN: (Pause) Just the two of us?

ANDY: …Well I could…schedule a…class…felid trip if it makes you feel safer.

KAREN: (Quickly) Oh no no no. That’s not it. (Clears her throat.) it’s just that…going back to school was a big step for me.

ANDY: And you’re afraid that you’ll screw it up. Like um…I don’t know, dating your professor. (Karen nods.) Yes. (Andy sits.) Karen, um…I wouldn’t ask you to ah, hang out with me if I thought it was gonna compromise your studies, (Pause) or my job. (Pause) You know, un-unless…un-un-unless you, you know, simply don’t wanna ha-hang out with me because that’s OK too.

KAREN: Oh no, no no, I do. That’s…that’s not it.

ANDY: (Smiling) Good. So uh, so what do you say? Tomorrow night?

KAREN: (Deciding) OK. (Nods)

ANDY: (Nods) Well I’ll leave you too it. Oh and uh, hey, I know it’s kinda short notice so uh…bring Lucas along if you can’t find a sitter. Love to meet the little guy.

KAREN: (Laughs) Oh I don’t think that’s gonna be a problem.

ANDY: (Confused) OK. (Walks back.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – SCIENCE CLASS – DAY]

(The same teacher is standing in front of the class in a now darkened room, talking about a picture on the projector.)

TEACHER: Stars. To the human eye they appear very close together but as you know, in reality-

(They teacher’s voice id drowned out as Nathan talks to Haley quietly.)

NATHAN: ‘High Flyers’ is like this Allstar basketball boot camp. And this guy (Points to the letter.) Milt West, he scouts the best players in the country and invites them down to Florida so they can work on their skills.

HALEY: And invited you. Wow. (Sincerely) Nathan, I’m really happy for you. You deserve this you’ve…you’ve worked really hard.

(Camera pans to Brooke and Peyton. Felix is openly looking at Brooke. She leans over, covering her face, to address Peyton.)

BROOKE: OK, could it get any worse? My love life is non-existent, my parents are having a yard sale to sell everything that we own and I had to beg them to keep my car.

PEYTON: OK. You might not be rich but you are still Brooke Davis; the most popular, least studious girl in school.

BROOKE: Maybe so, but being poor and horny is no way to go through life. How am I supposed to have fun?(!)

PEYTON: Boys won’t care about the poor part, just as long as you tell them about the horny part.

BROOKE: To top it all off, if my parents go broke, I might actually have to study to get into college.

PEYTON: (Sarcastically) My God the horror(!)

BROOKE: I know(!) How the mighty have fallen. (She flips through her book and comes across a picture of herself and Lucas when they were still together. She looks at it and then up at Felix.)

(Felix is smiling. He glances down at the picture and then back up at her.)

BROOKE: I think I need a little recess. (She and Felix exchange looks.)

TEACHER: What do you get when two, flaming, stellar bodies collide?

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – SUPPLY CLOSET – DAY]

(Brooke forces Felix into the closet and up against the shelves.)

BROOKE: OK, here’s the thing; we are not dating, we are not going out, we are nothing. (Starts to unbutton his shirt.) I am not your wife, your shrink, your mommy. There’s no romance, no crappy poetry, no PDA and no spooning. This is purely physical. If we have sex, it’s gonna be safe sex; we’re ‘Friends with Benefits’ (Finishes unbuttoning his shirt.) and in fact, we don’t even need to talk.

FELIX: I can live with that.

BROOKE: Great(!) (Kisses him and they fall off-screen.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. DAN SCOTT SERVICE ANNEX – DAY]

(Nathan and Lucas are in the garage, working on a car.)

NATHAN: So uh, there’s this new girl, named Anna, in my algebra class. (Lucas looks and smiles.) She be the ‘Dare Night’ mystery girl?

LUCAS: (Prolonging) (Wiping the car with a cloth.) Yeeaah. Also happens to be Felix’s sister.

NATHAN: (Pause) Nice(!) D’you know bout that?

LUCAS: Just found out this morning.

NATHAN: Well don’t hold it against her man, she can’t help it if her brother’s an ass. (Looks at Lucas pointedly.)

LUCAS: (laughs.) (Pause) So ‘High Flyers’? I mean, what I wouldn’t give, three months in Florida, playing basketball at that camp.

NATHAN: (Surprised, stops.) Is it three months?

LUCAS: Yeah, I think so. Why?

NATHAN: That’s all summer. I mean, we can’t live for three months off Haley’s café paycheque. And even if we could, I mean I don’t wanna be apart from her that long.

LUCAS: You guys will figure it out. (Pause. Nathan looks uncertain.) Nathan, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity…you know that.

(sh*t of Nathan looking sad.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. RIVER WALK – DAY]

(Whitey is sitting on a bench, looking down. Lucas walks up to him, basketball under one arm. Whitey takes his cap off and holds it in front of his face to get the sun out of his eyes. He scowls miserably when he sees Lucas.)

WHITEY: What are you doing here?

LUCAS: I just wanted to say hello.

WHITEY: (Nods, not looking at him.) You’ve said it.

LUCAS: (Sighs) Nathan got into ‘High Flyers’. (Whitey looks at him quickly and then turns away again.) And he couldn’t have done it without you so I…I just thought you’d care to know. (He knows it’s hopeless so her turns away.)

WHITEY: Son(!) (Lucas turns back.) The mistake you’re making is - you think I care; bout you, bout the team, about anything. (Pause) I lost the only thing I cared about a long time ago.

LUCAS: (Pause) You know, I have this picture in my room of the team…from your five-hundredth win. (Pause) And the man in that photo still looks like a guy to me that still cares about something. (Lucas is getting to Whitey.) We need you Coach. (Louder) Not just to win games, we need you in our lives! (Long pause. Lucas broods.) Have the surgery.

(Lucas turns and walks away. Whitey stubbornly averts his gaze, wiping his eyes discreetly.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. STREETS – DAY]

(Haley and Nathan are walking down the street. Nathan is holding the envelope in his hands.)

HALEY: Oh, I figured this summer out. I thought I would call Karen - see if I could stay with her and Lucas for a little while, till you get back or like, rent a room from her. We’ll save a ton.

NATHAN: Think she’ll go for that?

HALEY: Oh please(!) Before you came along, I practically lived there anyway. Then I’ll pick up some extra shifts at the café-

NATHAN: Haley, you work enough already.

HALEY: Hey, you’re gonna go to this camp if I have to sell a kidney. It’s only three months, I just…(Loops her arm around his.)…wish I could go to Florida with you. (Smiles at him.) (Looks at the yard sale going on, recognising the house.) Isn’t this Brooke’s house?

BROOKE: Hey! (Pointing to someone off-screen.) Be careful with that. It’s Venetian and I’m not talking Vegas(!) (Walks to Mouth.) You finding anything?

MOUTH: (Holds a picture frame, only the back facing Brooke.) Uh, just this picture frame.

BROOKE: (Softly) Just take it.

MOUTH: No, I insist. (Gives her the money.)

BROOKE: (Takes it.) Thanks Mouth.

(Mouth turns the picture and puts it into his bag. It still has a picture of Brooke in it.)

HALEY: (o.s) Hi(!)

BROOKE: (o.s) Hey.

HALEY: (o.s) I didn’t recognise the address. We won’t buy anything.

BROOKE: (o.s) It’s OK. We sold my pride around eight thirty. (Smiles) I’d rather see you wearing my clothes than any of these fifty year old wannabes. So I’ll give you the ‘Good Friend Discount’.

HALEY: (Smiling) OK. Thanks. (To Nathan.) I’m gonna go look around.

NATHAN: OK.

(Haley walks to the sale and Brooke turns to Nathan.)

BROOKE: How do you do it?

NATHAN: Do what?

BROOKE: You gave up your family’s money to be poor Nate.

NATHAN: You know what they say Brooke; money can’t buy love.

BROOKE: (Nods) Maybe so. My mom sure had a good run; renting it for a while. Excuse me. (Her scowl makes it obvious as to who has arrived.) (To Felix.) What are you doing here? Pool’s closed today.

FELIX: (Smiling) You didn’t get my text message? Thought you might wanna…hang out.

BROOKE: (Scoffs) OK; amendment to the rules – hook-ups will be initiated by me where and when I say and I say not here, not now(!)

WOMAN: (o.s) I’d like to buy this dollhouse.

BROOKE: (Turns around. We see a beautiful dollhouse, a replica of her house, in the center of the sale.) Oh no. It’s not for sale.

WOMAN: But there’s a price tag on it; one fifty.

BROOKE: Well it’s a misprint. The one should be a four.

(The woman’s young daughter looks at her.)

WOMAN: (Writing on a cheque.) Four…fifty(!) (Tears it off the book and holds it up to Brooke.)

(Brooke snatches the cheques and the woman starts taking it away, piece by piece. A doll falls out of the back of the house. Brooke picks it up sadly.)

FELIX: (Watching her.) You OK?

BROOKE: (Standing) My room - five minutes.

(Felix smiles as he watches her walk to her house.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DAY]

(Lucas throws the basketball. It misses the net and bounces off. He runs after the ball.)

ANNA: (Walking onto the court.) You gotta hang your wrist. You know? Freeze after the release. Like Jordon did when he b*at Utah in the finals.

LUCAS: (Shaking his head.) What about following the ball?

ANNA: Following the ball is following your miss.

LUCAS: Right. You play?

ANNA: A little bit. We b*at the crap out of our lady of peace every year. (Pause) So…what d’ya say? (Lucas looks at her probingly.) Quick game of hog?

LUCAS: (Considering) How bout this; for every sh*t I hit…you tell me something about yourself.

ANNA: OK. And what do I get when I win?

LUCAS: What d’ya have in mind?

ANNA: I win…we watch the meteor shower together.

LUCAS: (Smiles) And if I win?

ANNA: If you win, (Pause) We watch the meteor shower together.

(Lucas considers, smiles and then walks onto the court, dribbling the ball.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – DINING ROOM – DAY]

(Keith sits at a small dining table. The lights are very low.)

JULES: (Walks back from the kitchen.) Smells good in there.

KEITH: Oh I uh…brought some wine.

JULES: Nah(!) I’m more of a beer girl.

(She puts the table edge between the cap and bottle and bangs down, the top comes off. Keith is impressed. She sits down.)

KEITH: So this place is uh, it’s nice.

JULES: Thanks(!) It’s early…American…garage sale. (Keith laughs.) I have to say, you really know your way around a kitchen. Which is impressive since it’s not even yours.

KEITH: Thanks. You know, I uh, would have invited you over to my place but everything’s still in boxes from when I moved back so-

JULES: Charleston right? (Keith makes a noise of consent and Jules nods.)

KEITH: I guess I keep thinking if I don’t unpack then, you know, maybe the move still happens.

(A beeping goes off in the kitchen. Keith looks around.)

KEITH: Is that you oven timer?

JULES: (Laughs) Actually…it’s the smoke alarm. (Laughs again.)

KEITH: (Stands up.) Oh boy(!)

(Jules is amused. Keith disappears into the kitchen. We hear the over door open, a little bit of noise and Keith walks in with the burn food. He coughs, wafting away the smoke. Jules continues to laugh.)

JULES: You know what I’d love? (Pause) I-HOP. (She nods.)

KEITH: Perfect.

CUT TO:

(Lucas throws the basketball, Anna standing next to him, and it goes straight into the basket.)

ANNA: OK…my confession is; (Pause) I didn’t tell Felix I was coming here tonight. (Lucas looks away.) But I’m going to. I swear.

(Lucas hands her the ball.)

ANNA: (Accepts the ball.) Granny. (Moves to the free-throw line.) From the free-throw line. (She throws the ball granny style and it goes straight into the basket. She smiles.)

LUCAS: (Catches the ball.) Nice sh*t(!)

ANNA: Thank you. So whatta you got?

LUCAS: (Sighs) I confess that I’m sometimes selfish. I don’t always give back as much as I get. (Anna’s smiles fades.)

(Lucas sh**t and misses, possibly deliberately.)

ANNA: Well, well. I believe that’s…H…O…G. And um…did I win?

(They laugh.)

ANNA: Looks like you owe me one meteor shower.

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CLUB – DAY]

(A girl is singing, awfully, on the stage. Peyton and Haley sit in the hall, in front of the laptop.)

PEYTON: (Quietly, so only Haley can hear.) Why don’t we just call it ‘Club Suck’? (Addressing the girl in a fake cheery voice, Haley looks embarrassed for her.) Hey thank you, that was, that was…uh.

HALEY: Really…something.

PEYTON: Great. (sh*t of the girl on stage.) That was great. Um…we’ll…let you know.

(The girls walks off the stage upset.)

PEYTON: That was the last of them.

HALEY: (Tiredly) Well, we can go with the balding wedding band, or the bad ballad guy.

PEYTON: (Smiling) Great, so club no-name has no acts. (The laptop tinkles and Peyton looks at it.) Huh, Nathan just sent me an MP3.

HALEY: (Frowning) Nathan? (Realises as her voice sounds on the laptop.) Oh that’s ah, that a virus(!) (Tries to turn it off.) You don’t (Peyton grabs Haley’s hands to stop her.) wanna.

PEYTON: (Pushes he back.) Stop(!) (Peyton smiles as she watches the laptop. The singing continues. Haley looks embarrassed, like she wants to die.) Why did we even bother having auditions? Haley this is awesome(!)

HALEY: It’s-

(The back door opens and Chris comes in, carrying a crate of CDs.)

PEYTON: (o.s) Oh, it’s the rude record store guy. Um, can you just put the CD’s by the side of the stage? Thank you. (Haley’s song continues to play.) (To Haley.) How many other songs have you written?

HALEY: (Stops the recording.) I dunno. A few(!)

PEYTON: Alright, well you’re gonna open.

HALEY: Uh, NO! I’m not(!) I have…major stage fright.

(Chris gets onto the stage.)

PEYTON: You learned an entire cheer routine in three hours and, you rock the house.

HALEY: OK, with a group, I can not do it by myself. NO! You’re gonna have to find someone else. I’m sorry.

(A guitar strums. Peyton and Haley turn to the stage. Chris is sitting there with a guitar, on a stool with a mic in front of him. He plays the guitar. He sings.)

CHRIS: #Everywhere you go, perfection

(Haley and Peyton exchange astonished glances.)

CHRIS: Follows you the wrong direction,

And you will never see it for,

You get all that you need and more,

You see it, (Peyton looks at Haley who is paying attention it Chris.)you want it,

You find it, it’s yours

But you can't say what you want or,

Take what you want or,

Choose the moods that you fake when you want,

You said your life needed something special,

Which you don't have,

Yeah, well aren’t you glad,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeaaah,#

HALEY: (Impressed) I think you just found your man.

(Peyton doesn’t look pleased.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

(sh*t if Chris still on the stage.)

HALEY: (WALKS UP WITH Peyton behind her.) Hey, this is Peyton and you’re (Points at him.) great(!)

CHRIS: Yeah I know. When do I play?

HALEY: Um…well sev-seven thirty-

PEYTON: (Rudely) You’re OK but we had a lot of really good people show up today. (Looking at Haley.) So…we’ll call you.

CHRIS: Whatever. Not Emo enough for you? (Peyton frowns.) (To Haley.) Hey, I heard your song, it’s not bad. The key of ‘A’s kinda crap but…you pulled it off. (Walks off-stage.)

HALEY: (To Peyton.) OK, are you out of your mind? He’s clearly the best.

PEYTON: Yeah, he’s good but…he’s a jerk! And…he’s like…arrogant and self-righteous.

HALEY: Peyton, you’re not dating him. Just put the club first.

PEYTON: I am. I don’t need him Haley, I’ve got you! (Haley doesn’t look happy.) Think about it OK? You can do this.

(Haley just stares at Peyton.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. BACK YARD – DAY]

(Karen and Andy walk through what can only be described as a park.)

KAREN: So I thought you said we were gonna watch the meteor shower from your yard.

ANDY: (Looks at her.) Um…(Long pause.)…actually, this is my yard.

KAREN: (Laughs) You’re kidding. (Andy just looks at her, poker faced.) You’re not kidding?

ANDY: (Shakes his head.) No. I um…I bought it a year ago. Its real-estate right? It’s good business. (nods) My house is about half a mile up that way. (Points straight.)

KAREN: Wow. Well it’s…its very beautiful.

ANDY: (Nods) Yeah. Yeah it’s a little of the south island and North Carolina you know?

KAREN: So how does a New Zealander end up here anyway?

ANDY: (Pause) Wow um…let’s see, uh, my dad d*ed when I was fourteen (Pause) and uh, my mom figured we’d better move to the states before I turned into a rugby bum like him. (Karen smiles.) And um…did you know there’s a One Tree Hill in Auckland?

KAREN: Yeah, I’ve heard that.

ANDY: Yeah. It’s a volcano. Or it was twenty thousand years ago and uh, now it’s a park. We used to picnic in it sometimes so when mom saw this tree Hill on the map - (shrugs) figured it was meant to be.

KAREN: So she raised you all by herself in a foreign country. (Pause) She must be quite a woman.

ANDY: Yep, she is. I dunno, um, thinking back, I would have loved to have seen her do something like go back to school after dad d*ed. You know? So she could get to live her own life rather than…always having to, uh, sacrifice so I could live mine.

(They come to a fountain. Karen stops and looks.)

ANDY: (Walks forward, one arm out.) Table for two?

(Camera pans to show a small table set up elaborately on the deck, in front of the river. Karen is awed by the scenery. Andy pulls a chair out for her and Karen sits. Andy sits and they talk. The speech is drowned out by the soundtrack.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Felix pulls his shirt over his head and put it on. Brooke is lying in her bed, cocooned in her blankets.)

BROOKE: Can’t believe they sold my dresser.

FELIX: Got anything to drink?

BROOKE: (Humourlessly) Water, if the plumbing’s still hooked up.

FELIX: (Frowns at her.) You sure you’re OK with this whole…’Friends with Benefits’ thing?

BROOKE: Why wouldn’t I be?

FELIX: You know, it’s just most girls I know – unable to hook up without the emotional entanglements.

BROOKE: Well, (Sits up, holding the covers to her.) try having your boyfriend hook up with your best friend and see if that’s not tangled enough for you.

FELIX: Lucas and Peyton?

BROOKE: (Scoffs) God, why am I even telling you this? I thought I made it clear; we don’t talk(!) (leans back on her bed.) If I wanted to have a conversation, I’d find someone with half a brain.

FELIX: (Obviously hurt but doing a good show of hiding it.) Did I mention its ‘Friends with Benefits’?

BROOKE: Hmm…don’t kid yourself. Your only advantage is that you live thirty seconds away.

FELIX: (Nods and breaks eyes contact.) So, (Looks back at her.) no friends.

BROOKE: Not for me(!) Just ‘benefits’. (Felix turns away.) Close the door on your way out. (She turns away from him.)

(Felix gets up and walks out. Brooke stares for a b*at.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – EVENING]

(There is an envelope on Whitey’s desk. It has ‘Coach Durham’ written across the top in big, capital, letters. Whitey picks up his glasses and puts them on before opening the envelope. Inside is a framed newspaper clipping of Whitey’s five-hundredth win. The heading says ‘Durham Wins 500th’. Whitey looks at it sadly. He puts the frame onto the desk and throws his glasses on top of it. The Whitey in the clipping is very happy, surrounded by his players.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(Lucas and Anna are sitting on the court.)

LUCAS: So now uh…Nathan and I are cool.

ANNA: (Nods) And that makes Haley your…sister-in-law?

LUCAS: (Laughs) Weird, but yeah.

ANNA: I thought I had a complicated relationship with my brother.

LUCAS: Yeah, what is Felix’s deal anyway?

ANNA: (Trying to explain.) He’s not as bad as he seems. (Pause)

LUCAS: So why didn’t you tell Felix about me?

ANNA: It just…never came up.

LUCAS: (Pause) Look Anna, (Pause) I like you. (She smiles.) And…I think…if we hang out…I’m just gonna like you more. (Pause) But I don’t wanna sneak around. You gotta talk to Felix.

(Anna considers.)

CUT TO:

[INT. CAR – EVENING]

(Keith and Jules are sitting in a car, talking.)

KEITH: You know, I never thought I’d have my brother, Dan, to thank for a night like this.

JULES: Must be pretty different going from fixing cars to selling them.

KEITH: Nah. Truth is, I always had it in my plan.

JULES: What d’ya mean?

KEITH: Well, I had the idea to open a dealership…long before Danny ever came round to it. (Jules is intrigued.) I just didn’t have the capital. Then when I saved enough, Dan decided to open his own place, with his wife’s money.

JULES: He stole your idea.

KEITH: Well you know, he had a family by then and um…I hoped he would do right by his other son Lucas. (Jules nods.) So, I taught him everything I knew about cars.

JULES: Well that was pretty selfless of you.

KEITH: Yeah well, I’d never have done it if I knew what an ass he was gonna become.

JULES: (Smiles) Well, being a good guy has its own rewards.

KEITH: Hmm.

(Jules leans over and kisses him. The camera zooms out and we see that they are actually in the parking lot of the dealership, propped up on a display stand so that they can watch the meteor shower.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – BALCONY – EVENING]

(Nathan is leaning against the rail, looking out at the dark, star speckled sky. Haley walks up to him, putting a hand on the railing.)

NATHAN: How were the auditions?

HALEY: You should not have given that music to Peyton.

NATHAN: She liked it didn’t she?

HALEY: Yeah! But I’m mad(!)

NATHAN: (Sighs) Hales, you wouldn’t hear it from me. Besides, I’m supposed to believe in you when you don’t believe in yourself. It’s what you’ve always done for me.

HALEY: (Softens and shrugs.) (Whispers) OK, I’m not mad anymore.

NATHAN: So then you’ll play?

HALEY: (Sighs. b*at) I will, OK, maybe I will. Um, you know, when you get back form camp this fall?

NATHAN: (Face drops.) Yeah, about…camp. Uh…I didn’t get in.

HALEY: (b*at) Well, what do you mean?(!) They said it was a sure thing(!)

NATHAN: Yeah I know but…it turns out they made a mistake and, uh, there’s some other kid they have to give the spot to.

HALEY: (Pats him on the back.) I’m sorry.

NATHAN: Yeah, me too. But hey, since I can’t go to this camp, that means you…can start playing your music now. (Haley takes her hand off his back and breathes deeply.) Tell me that you will.

HALEY: (Pause) (Quietly) OK. (Nathan smiles and nods. Haley sighs and looks at the sky.) OK. I’ll try. (Jumps and nudges Nathan.) Oh did you see it!

NATHAN: (Looking at the sky also.) No.

HALEY: (In wonder.) Ohh, blink and you’ll miss it.

(They both look at the sky, the camera zooms out.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. STAR FILLED SKY – EVENING]

(The sky is filled with bright silver stars.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE YARD – EVENING]

(Karen and Andy are still sitting at the table, looking at the sky. Karen reaches over and touches his hand. He looks down. Zoom in to them holding hands.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. STAR FILLED SKY – EVENING]

(sh*t of the starry sky again, a meteor zooms past.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – FRONT PORCH – EVENING]

(Dan and Deb are sitting on a swing, watching the sky, smiling. Dan’s hair looks strange, as though somebody cut it witch hedge clippers. Camera pans around them as he looks at Deb.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. OUTSIDE – EVENING]

(Whitey is frowning as he stands outside watching the sky.)

(sh*t of the sky and stars another meteor zooms past.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – PARKING LOT – EVENING]

(Keith and Jules are in the car, still kissing and missing every sh**ting star that zooms by.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. KAREN’S CLUB – THE STAIRS – EVENING]

(Peyton sits out on the stairs. She looks dismally up, thinking about the auditions. She looks up at the sky and sees a meteor pass overhead.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(Lucas and Anna are lying on their backs on the court, looking up at the sky. They are talking and laughing amongst themselves. Lucas points up to the sky. sh*t of the starry sky but no meteor.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – DOORSTEP – EVENING]

(sh*t of Brooke’s front door. The door opens and Brooke steps out. She sits on the stoop and looks up. Felix walks out of his own house, looking up. Brooke turns her head and looks at him. He hasn’t noticed her yet. Feeling eyes on him, he turns his head and sees her. Brooke turns away and looks at the sky again. Felix smiles kindly, to himself before averting his gaze to the sky again.)

(Camera fades out and we see both their houses, Brooke’s light and Felix’s dark. The sky above is littered with stars.)

DAN: (v.o) The meteors always streak from north to south.

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – FRONT PORCH – EVENING]

(Dan and Deb are now standing, leaning on the posts)

DAN: Right near Percius.

DEB: Where’s that?

DAN: (Points) Next to Andromeda. (A few Harry Potter names creeping up.) He’s protecting his wife. Right there, you see the figure of a woman?

DEB: (Looking) Oh, yeah. I see it now.

DAN: She’s chained at the wrist, just like in the story. Hmm. (He, not-so-discretely, puts his arm around her.)

DEB: (Uncomfortably) Um, it’s late. We should get back home. (Shies away from him.)

DAN: Well, we’ve had a lot to drink. Maybe we should spend the night here.

DEB: I don’t have my things.

DAN: (Smiles) (Pause) I threw our overnight bags in the car. (sh*t of Deb, she knows he planned this.) Just in case.

(Deb nods and looks down.)

DAN: (Realising) I’ll take the guest room, of course.

(Deb looks up at him, eyes hardened.)

CUT TO:

[INT. LUCAS’ CAR – EVENING]

(Lucas drives up to Anna’s house and stops. He looks at it and sighs heavily.)

ANNA: So. What time do you wanna sneak around tomorrow night? (Lucas turns away.) I’m gonna talk to him OK? I promise.

LUCAS: You understand where I’m coming from though, right? I mean, at a certain point, I gotta stop talking about wanting to be a different guy…and start being that guy.

ANNA: I do understand. (Pause) And…I know you think you have to work at it, but you’re already a good guy Luke. (Lucas smiles.) At least I think so. (She kisses him. He looks at her.)

(sh*t from outside of the car. The camera zooms out until we can see Felix’s shoulder. sh*t of Felix, angry. The camera zooms in on him getting angrier by the second.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

[INT. FELIX’S HOUSE – ANNA’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Anna walks into her bedroom, unaware that Felix is standing in her other doorway.)

FELIX: Get anything at the mall?

ANNA: (Stops) (Doesn’t turn to face him.) Not really.

FELIX: Hm. (Walks into her room.) That’s a first.

ANNA: (Pause) I went out with a friend.

FELIX: You kiss all your friends?

ANNA: (Annoyed) You’ve been spying on me?

FELIX: So you like Lucas?

ANNA: I don’t know Felix. It was just a first date.

FELIX: Half of the kids in this town were conceived on the first date. (Anna rolls her eyes and looks away.) Look, I don’t know how much you know about him…but he’s done some things.

ANNA: That’s no secret. He told me that he screwed some things up(!)

FELIX: Yeah, Peyton – while he was dating Brooke. (Anna continues to look, hurt.) Look, he’ll do the same thing to you Anna. He’s a bad guy.

ANNA: No, he might have made a mistake but he’s not a bad guy. And I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It’s be nice if you’d do the same for me.

FELIX: (Smug) (Pause) See, that’s how guys like that get away with this stuff. Girls like you, giving them the benefit of the doubt.

(Anna walks out, leaving him in her room.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Karen walks into the kitchen late. She flips the light on and sees Lucas sitting there, one hand on his head, drumming his fingers on the table and looking very worried. She starts, shocked.)

KAREN: Oh(!) (Stops and rolls her eyes. Lucas drums his fingers again.) You just took ten years off my life.

LUCAS: (Sternly) It’s one o’clock in the morning. (Pause) I have been worried sick(!) Where have you been?

KAREN: I-I’m sorry, it ju-

LUCAS: No, (Karen closes the door and pauses.) After midnight, you call.

(Karen gives him a look and he drops the act, laughing.)

KAREN: Ha ha ha(!) I really hope I don’t sound like that(!)

(Lucas, smiles, shrugs and intertwines his fingers.)

KAREN: How long have you been home?

LUCAS: Oh, bout five minutes.

KAREN: (Looks at her watch.) Well then we’re both grounded.

LUCAS: (Shakes his head disappointedly.) Clearly a rookie mom. (Leans back in the chair.) Next time, (Points to the window.) try sneaking in the window. (Karen looks at him and smiles, walking around the table.) So, did you have a good time?

KAREN: …Yeah, I did. (Pats him as she walks past.)

LUCAS: (Looks at her.) Good.

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – EST sh*t – DAY]

CUT TO:

[INT. THE BEACH HOUSE – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Dan is making pancakes. Deb walks in.)

DAN: Hey. I’m making pancakes.

DEB: Oh, I’m sorry, Dan, I’m going home.

DAN: (Looking up.) What’s the hurry? We’ll go back in a few hours.

DEB: (Packing a bag.) Oh, no we won’t. Coming out here was a mistake. I can’t…keep pretending that things are normal. You’re better now, so uh…I’ll send your things over. (Turns and Dan’s phone rings.)

DAN: (Looking at the screen.) It’s the doctor. (Deb turns to listen. Dan answers the phone.) Dan Scott!

DOCTOR CONNELLY: (Through the phone.) Hi Dan, this is Doctor Connelly. I just received your test results back from the lab. You’re doing really well and we can now start talking about a more strenuous exercise programme.

DAN: (Looking at Deb, fake worry written all over his face.) I see.

DOCTOR CONNELLY: (Through the phone.) So uh, call my office and set up an appointment.

DAN: Thank you doctor, I will. Thank you. (With his back to Deb, he smiles and shuts the phone. He turns back to Deb, fake worry etched all over his face again.) (Pause) It’s not good. I’m gonna have to stay with you for a while.

(Deb is not pleased.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – ENTRANCE – DAY]

(There is a knock at the door. Only Nathan’s at home.)

NATHAN: Come in(!) (The door opens.) Hey man.

LUCAS: (Enters) Hey.

NATHAN: (Points) wanna help me with this table? I’m rearranging so Haley has more room to practice.

LUCAS: Yeah man uh, (Looks behind.) where do you want it?

NATHAN: (Points behind Lucas.) Right there.

LUCAS: (they lift and haul the table.) So Haley told me you didn’t get into ‘High Flyers’ after all. Tough break.

NATHAN: Yeah, it’s too bad.

LUCAS: (Sees right through it.) You did get in. (Sighs) Nathan, man you’ve been working for your whole life for this. (Pause. Nathan sighs.) You can’t say no.

NATHAN: You know what it’s like to hit a game winning sh*t. The whole crowd loves you…everybody treats you like you’re a star. (Pause) I get to feel that every time I play. I mean, you know, you’ve felt it. (Lucas nods.) Now, it’s Haley’s turn. I mean she’s an incredible musician, Luke, and she’s ready to give it a sh*t. So if I got to camp now, for three months, (Shrugs) who knows where her head’s gonna be. I just really want her to feel, like, the thrill of the crowd. (Smiles at Lucas.) She deserves it.

LUCAS: (Understanding what Nathan’s giving up.) Well what about your future?

NATHAN: I already know my future. (Pause) It’s with Haley. (Sighs and smiles.)

CUT TO:

(Peyton is messing with a rusty plug. She puts the plug into the wall socket and flips the switch. Part of a huge, old, sign lights up. The word ‘tric’, in electric, lights up in red and a few white lights too. She looks at it.)

PEYTON: (Nodding) Welcome to ‘TRIC’. (Smiles)

(The back door opens and in walks Rick, the band manager who made Peyton take dr*gs. Peyton swivels and gapes when she sees him.)

RICK: Nice space.

PEYTON: (To herself.) Oh, Rick.

RICK: Here you’re looking for bands. (Peyton nods.) Suppose we’re working together after all. (Looks at her.) I guess…we’ll be partying together too.

(Peyton stares stunned and turns away. She doesn’t want him there.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – DOORSTEP – DAY]

(The doorbell rings and Brooke opens her front door. Mouth is standing there.)

BROOKE: (Questioningly) Mouth(!)

MOUTH: I um…I knew this meant a lot to you. So, I got the address off the woman’s cheque and…I bought it back.

(Brooke moves closer to him. Mouth steps aside to reveal her dollhouse, without two wings of the house. Brooke stands there, touched and then walks to Mouth and hugs him.)

BROOKE: (Whispers) Thank you.

(Mouth smiles.)

(Phone rings.)

CUT TO:

(Dan is sitting in his car, watching someone play basketball. His phone rings and he answers it.)

DAN: Yeah(!)

MILT WEST: (Through the phone.) Hey Dan, Milt West from ‘High Flyers’. Uh…your son, turned me down.

DAN: (Frowning) So, what? You saying he’s not going to the camp? You told me you could make this happen.

MILT WEST: (Through the phone.) Says he doesn’t wanna be away from his wife. Sorry.

(sh*t of Dan watching Nathan sh**t hoops by himself on the court. Dan shuts his phone and continues to watch his son. It’s gonna be harder than he thought. Nathan bounces the ball and sh**t again. Dan is pissed.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. ROE RESIDENCE – FRONT PORCH – DAY]

(Camera pans to Karen and Lucas sitting on the outside swing. Karen is looking through post.)

KAREN: (Not looking at Lucas.) So I uh…I want you to know that I met somebody.

LUCAS: (Pause) Well that’s cool. So did I.

KAREN: Well, mine’s younger than me. (Pause) I mean a lot younger.

LUCAS: (Stares, laughs.) OK. (Pause) well if he’s younger than me, I’m not calling him dad.

(They laughs and Karen resumes going through the mail.)

KAREN: Oh, (Gives him a yellow envelope.) this came for you.

(Lucas takes it.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HOSPTIAL – DAY]

(sh*t of Whitey’s bag with the top of the framed newspaper clipping showing from the bag. He pauses for a moment before walking to the entrance of the hospital.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. ROE RESIDENCE – FRONT PORCH – DAY]

(A close up of Lucas’ hand pulling out a card with two words written on it; ‘THANK YOU’. Lucas smiles and then, looking off into the distance, slowly puts the card back into the envelope. Karen continues to look through her mail.)

(Camera slowly zooms out and then fades into the night sky again, littered with stars, one sh**ting star zooms past.)