04x20 - The Birth and Death of the Day

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

04x20 - The Birth and Death of the Day

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on "One Tree Hill"...

HALEY : How bad will it get if they find out about you and Daunte?

NATHAN : I won't play anywhere.

WHITEY : Duke rescinded your scholarship offer.

PEYTON : I applied for an internship with Sire Records.

LUCAS : That's great.

PEYTON : It's in Los Angeles.

BROOKE : I was wondering, why'd you leave Clean Teens?

CHASE : I thought if I joined Clean Teens, girls wouldn't be interested in me, and then maybe I wouldn't have my heart broken again.

BROOKE : And then I came along.

DAN : What are you gonna do... sh**t me?

LUCAS : Yes, just like you sh*t my uncle Keith.

DAN : Karen?

LUCAS : Do not touch her!

DAN : She could be having a miscarriage!

LUCAS : I swear to god, I will k*ll you!

LUCAS (voiceover) : Graduation Day at Tree Hill High... a day when we officially leave the refuge of high school and begin our real lives. But what of those lives? As we go into the world, what matters most? Is it about the things we create? The things we achieve? The awards we win? Is it about who we are when we fail? What's more important... what we become or how we become it?

LUCAS’ HOUSE

Following the end of last episode, Karen faint and Lucas just sh**t...

LUCAS : Mom, are you okay?

DAN : She could be having a miscarriage!

LUCAS : Do not touch her! That is my mother! I swear to god, I will k*ll you! Get out.

DAN : Lucas... She could lose the baby.

LUCAS : I missed on purpose. I will not miss again.

DAN : You're making a terrible mistake.

LUCAS : Get out.

(Dan leaves)

LUCAS : Mom, it's okay. I'm gonna get you some help, okay? It's gonna be okay.

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Nathan and Haley are in the bedroom

HALEY : We're gonna be okay.

NATHAN : I know. Still, it just came earlier than I thought it would.

HALEY : What? Graduation?

NATHAN : No. The day I realized I was never gonna play again. I called every school that showed interest in me as a player. Nobody wants a point-shaver.

(Haley’s cell phone rings)

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Lucas is waiting, Nathan and Haley arrive with Deb

NATHAN : Luke.

HALEY : Hey.

LUCAS : Hey.

DEB : How's Karen? What are they saying?

LUCAS : She's unconscious. She has something called "eclampsia." It gives her seizures.

HALEY : What does that mean for the baby?

LUCAS : It's pretty serious. They said the next few hours are critical for the both of them. I just want her to be okay.

DEB : She will be. Your mom is tough. Why don't I go to your house and pack some things for her?

LUCAS : Okay.

HALEY : Does Peyton know you're here? You mind if I call her and let her know?

(Haley and Deb start leaving)

DEB : I... I don't want you to start worrying and putting too much stress on yourself.

HALEY : Thanks. I'll be fine.

DEB : Haley... you didn't happen to mention to anyone that I had a g*n in the house, did you?

HALEY : Yeah, I told Lucas earlier today.

THE APARTMENT

Peyton is at her desk, Brooke joins her, sad.

BROOKE : Hey.

PEYTON : Hey. What's wrong?

BROOKE : Nothing.

PEYTON : Aw, come on. We're gonna be graduating soon. We all know graduating plus partying equals Brooke Davis minus her clothes.

BROOKE : But we're not all graduating. Rachel should be here.

(Peyton’s phone rings)

LUCAS’ HOUSE

After packing some things for Karen, Deb walks by the whole in the wall made by the b*llet.

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Lucas is in his mother’s room, Peyton walks in

PEYTON : Hi. How's she doing?

LUCAS : Not so good. The doctor says what she has could att*ck her kidneys and her lungs... everything.

(Deb knocks on the door)

DEB : Hi, Peyton.

PEYTON : Hi.

DEB : Do you mind giving me and Lucas a moment to talk?

PEYTON : Yeah, I'll go get us some coffee.

DEB : Thanks.

(Peyton leaves and shut the door, then Deb slams Lucas)

LUCAS : What, are you on dr*gs again?

DEB : Are you? Because there's a b*llet hole in the wall of your house, Lucas, and nearby, I found a shell casing from a 9-millimeter handgun. I happen to be missing a 9-millimeter handgun, one you knew about. There's a police officer about 40 yards down the hall. You want to talk to him, or you want to talk to me?

LUCAS : You'll think I'm crazy.

DEB : I don't know if anyone's told you, but I'm about as crazy as you can get without being committed. Try me.

LUCAS : Dan k*lled Keith. It wasn't Jimmy Edwards. It was Dan. He got into the school that day, and he sh*t Keith. And there was a witness, but... she's gone now. Dan k*lled Keith, Deb.

DEB : I believe you.

LUCAS : You do?

DEB : Dan thought it was Keith, not me, who tried to burn him in the dealership fire. Oh, my god, what did I do? Who else knows?

LUCAS : My mom, but...

DEB : Where's the g*n, Lucas? There's a reason you didn't sh**t him, and you know it. It's not the way.

(Lucas gets his jacket, takes the g*n and gives it to Deb)

DEB : I won't leave her side. If Dan tries anything, I'll be right here. You should go see Peyton. It's okay.

(Lucas starts leaving)

DEB : Lucas... I'm sorry, truly. But justice will be served. I promise you that.

ONE TREE HILL CREDITS

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Peyton, Haley and Nathan are in the waiting room

PEYTON : How's your speech coming, Haley?

HALEY : Not great. I'm trying to write about how we all should believe in the good things in life, but... it's feeling a little false today.

NATHAN : I think I'm gonna take a year off. I can work nights and take care of the baby while you take classes.

HALEY : What about college?

NATHAN : Without a scholarship, we can't afford it. I'll just save up, and I'll go next year.

HALEY : You'll go this year and play basketball. We're not giving up on that yet.

NATHAN : Every college in America has.

PEYTON : You know, Skills is playing college basketball. Maybe he can talk to somebody for you.

NATHAN : Yeah. Yeah, maybe.

(Lucas and Deb arrive)

PEYTON : Hey.

LUCAS : Hey.

HALEY : Hey, how's Karen?

DEB : No change.

PEYTON : Is there anything that we can do?

DEB : Yeah. It's your last day as high-school students. You can go and be kids for the rest of the day.

LUCAS : No, I'm not leaving my mother.

DEB : If anything changes, I will call you immediately. I promise you.

HALEY : That's a good idea, Luke. You should go home, get some food, take a shower.

NATHAN : Yeah, you do kind of stink.

PEYTON : Come on.

LUCAS : You'll call me?

DEB : First thing.

LUCAS : Okay.

(Everybody start leaving)

DEB : Lucas. Stay away from Dan. Understand me?

LUCAS : Yes, ma'am.

DEB : All right.

THE APARTMENT

Brooke is alone, Chase knocks at the door

CHASE : Brooke?

BROOKE : Hey. Thanks for coming.

CHASE : Thanks for calling. Are you okay?

BROOKE : I don't know. Karen's still in the hospital, and there's... something else.

CHASE : Okay... I think.

BROOKE : I think I'm gonna turn myself in for stealing the calculus exam.

CHASE : The day before graduation?

BROOKE : I know. It's just... I was looking at the honor wall at school, and... I don't belong up there... you know? There's nothing honorable about letting your friend take the blame for something you've done.

CHASE : All right, I love you for that, but what if they don't let you graduate? I mean, Rachel's already gone, school's over. What's it really gonna change?

BROOKE : The way I feel about myself... And you just said you love me.

CHASE : I did not.

BROOKE : Did so. You just said, "and I love you for that."

CHASE : So what if I did? And what if I do?

RIVERCOURT

Skills is playing, Bevin arrives

BEVIN : Hey, babe. Got some good news. So, my parents want to have your parents over before graduation tomorrow... a little quiche, maybe some lawn darts.

SKILLS : Baby, quiche and lawn darts? Do your parents know my parents are black?

BEVIN : They don't know you're black, so probably not. Stop it. Race has never been an issue to my parents with any of my friends.

SKILLS : But was you having sex with any of your friends?

BEVIN : Do you really think it's gonna be a problem?

SKILLS : Maybe not for us, but for our parents, it usually is.

BEVIN : I'll just have to tell them, and if it's a problem, they're not the parents I raised them to be.

(She leaves and Nathan arrives)

BEVIN : Hi, Nate. Bye, Nate.

NATHAN : What's up, man?

SKILLS : What's up, dog?

NATHAN : You hear about Luke's mom?

SKILLS : Yeah. Figured I'd give the family some space, you know? Anything I could do?

NATHAN : Not for them. Maybe for me.

SKILLS : Yeah, listen, man, I talked to my coaches, dog, and I don't think it's gonna work out.

NATHAN : Oh, that's all right, man. I figured. But Haley mentioned to me that if you didn't get your scholarship, there's a job waiting for you in the factory where your dad works.

SKILLS : Yeah.

NATHAN : I thought if you weren't taking it, maybe I could?

SKILLS : Yeah, I mean, I could talk to pops. Can you go by there today?

NATHAN : Yeah, whatever it takes. Just give me a call.

SKILLS : Cool.

NATHAN : All right. Thanks a lot, Skills.

SKILLS : No doubt.

(Nathan starts leaving)

SKILLS : Hey, yo, Nate. Sorry things ain't working out for you on the court, man.

NATHAN : Yeah, well... It's the risk I took, right? Commit a crime, sometimes it catches up to you.

DAN’S HOUSE

Dan comes home, Lucas is sitting on his couch

DAN : Lucas? I understand you're really mixed up about all this.

LUCAS : You're saying you didn't k*ll Keith? Is that what you want me to believe?

DAN : Yes, Lucas. That's what I want you to believe with all my heart.

LUCAS : That's never gonna happen.

DAN : You realize I'm in a lose-lose situation here. If your mother doesn't wake up, then I'll never gonna forgive myself. If she does wake up, then she'll never forgive me. Unless... unless, maybe... somehow, you're mistaken.

LUCAS : No chance. I know what you did. And you know what you did. And maybe you'll never pay for it, but I promise you... my mom's gonna know it, too.

(Lucas starts leaving)

DAN : And what about her child? Keith's child... another kid raised without a father, like you?

LUCAS : I had Keith... until you took him from us. And I'll be there for his child, but you won't be. Ever. I'll make sure of that.

THE APARTMENT

Peyton and Haley are eating ice cream

PEYTON : You know, a lot of people go to therapy to deal with stuff, but I say a good root-beer float can fix just about anybody.

HALEY : Fixes me up.

PEYTON : Your parents coming back for graduation?

HALEY : No, they would rather come back when the baby's born, so I'll see them soon. How about your dad?

PEYTON : Actually, I think I'm gonna take that internship in California, so he's just gonna meet me there in, like, two weeks.

HALEY : Peyton, that's awesome! I'm so glad you decided to do that. You're gonna do great. That's cool. Did Lucas say he's coming back here before he goes to the hospital? Well, I'll get out of your hair, as much as I hate to... slurp and run. So good.

(Someone knocks at the door)

PEYTON : Come in.

(Nathan walks in)

HALEY : I was just getting ready to go.

NATHAN : Oh, good. Hey, I got good news. Skills hooked me up.

HALEY : With his team?!

NATHAN : No, with his dad. He got me that job at his father's factory.

HALEY : Well, Nathan, that's...

NATHAN : It's good money, Hales, but it does start today, so... So much for the last day of being a kid, huh?

TREE HILL HIGH

Brooke arrives in Principal Turner’s office

TURNER : Miss Davis. A bit early for graduation, aren't you?

BROOKE : I'm the one who stole the calculus exam.

THE APARTMENT

Peyton and Lucas are on the bed

PEYTON : I'm really glad you came back. I missed you.

LUCAS : You think we could just stay here for the rest of the summer?

PEYTON : Mmm, yeah, there was a chance of that till I took that internship.

LUCAS : It's okay. I'm glad you did.

PEYTON : Yeah, it's gonna be a long summer.

LUCAS : Nah, it'll fly by.

PEYTON : You know, I... I really do appreciate you being supportive about all this, but a little bit of disappointment would be good for my ego.

LUCAS : I just want you to be happy, Peyton. You have so much magic in you...

PEYTON : But everything's okay?

LUCAS : I wish we never left that hotel room in Honey Grove, 'cause you're perfect, and we're perfect, and that night was... perfect.

PEYTON : Well, saying that just earned you another one.

LUCAS : I think I got to get back to the hospital.

PEYTON : Can I come with you?

LUCAS : Sure. Just... let me hold you for a couple more minutes. That's what's gonna fix me.

SKILL’S FATHER’S FACTORY

Mr. Taylor joins Nathan

MR. TAYLOR : Mr. Scott.

NATHAN : Mr. Taylor.

MR. TAYLOR : Charles. You ready to go to work?

NATHAN : Yes, sir.

MR. TAYLOR : Right answer. Follow me. You know anything about what we do here?

NATHAN : Uh, not really. Is it shipping of some sort?

MR. TAYLOR : Of some sort. We manufacture the steel that goes to building those freighters you see coming in and out of the cape. At least, that's what the company does. We mostly just work. But if hard work doesn't scare you, you'll do fine.

NATHAN : Hard work doesn't scare me, sir.

MR. TAYLOR : Another right answer. Let's, uh, lose that "sir." It's "Charles" or "Chuck."

NATHAN : Your name is Chuck Taylor? Like the shoe?

MR. TAYLOR : More like the guy who's gonna work your sorry ass to the bone. Grab the other side of that pipe, Nathan Scott.

NATHAN : Yes, sir, Chuck... Charles... sorry.
TREE HILL HIGH

Brooke and Principal Turner are walking in the hallways

BROOKE : And that's the truth about how I passed calculus, so I'm guessing there's all sorts of mean stuff you have to do now.

TURNER : Well, I...

BROOKE : Just, before you do, can I say something? You know, when I was a freshman, wasn't a very good person. I mean, sure, I was popular and dating seniors, but as a person, I was pretty lost. And over the last four years, I've been forced to grow up. I stopped letting boys define me, and I started believing in myself and in my potential, and I ran for student-council president, and I designed a clothing line, and somewhere along the way, the lost, little party girl became the girl on the wall of honor. And... I know what I did was wrong, Mr. Turner. I know. But the girl I was when I came to this school... I'm not so sure she would have. And isn't that the point of high school? Isn't that what you guys have been trying to teach us for the last four years?

TURNER : Actually, we've been trying to teach you not to cheat in calculus, but the rest of it is certainly important, too. I imagine you've been feeling a good amount of guilt over letting your friend Rachel take the fall.

BROOKE : Yes, sir... I mean, even though she told me to and she's done all sorts of things over the last year that would have gotten her expelled anyway. Yes, I have, so that's why I felt that I should come forward.

TURNER : You know, Brooke, I must seem ancient to you. Your teachers probably seem irrelevant. But one day, you'll look back, and things won't seem so... "us against them." I assume you're going to college?

BROOKE : Yes, sir. I... I hope so now.

TURNER : To study...?

BROOKE : Fashion.

TURNER : Not engineering? Or anything requiring intensive calculus?

BROOKE : No, sir.

TURNER : Good. Go graduate.

BROOKE : Really? Are you serious? Thank you. I... I don't even...

(Chase runs toward them)

CHASE : Principal Turner! Principal Turner! Look, if you suspend her, I think you're really making a big mistake. I don't mean to barge in like this...

BROOKE : Shut up. Chase, I love you for this, really, but, shut up.

BROOKE (to Turner) : Um, I'm sorry. We'll... we'll just go. Go. Thanks.

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Peyton and Lucas rush in Karen’s room

LUCAS : Deb? Dr. Hudson, what's happening?

DOCTOR : Your mom's condition is worsened, Lucas. And we can't be aggressive with the antibiotics because of her pregnancy.

LUCAS : So how do you help her?

DOCTOR : I want to prep her for surgery and deliver the baby by caesarean.

LUCAS : And then everything will be okay, right? With my mom and the baby?

DOCTOR : We have to take one life at a time, Luke. Right now, both lives are in danger, but if we act now, we can save the baby, and we'll have a much better chance at helping your mom.

LUCAS : I want to be there with her when you deliver the baby.

DOCTOR : Of course.

LUCAS : Mom... we're gonna try to help you, okay? Just... come back to us.

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Whitey is knocking at the door, Haley opens it

HALEY : Hey, coach. Um, are you looking for Nathan?

WHITEY : No, actually, I was looking for you. Care to take a little walk?

HALEY : Uh... yeah, sure.

They go for a walk

WHITEY : How's Nathan holding up?

HALEY : Better than I am. Skills helped him get a job at a steel plant. I don't know. I just... I feel like it's way too early for him to let his fire burn out and just give up what he wants, you know?

WHITEY : How about what you want? Look, Haley, you asked me to help Nathan. I'm not sure I can, but if I do... it's gonna take you away from all the things you want to do. I remember he said something about Stanford.

HALEY : Coach, I would go anywhere with Nathan. I would go to whatever school will take him. As long as our family's together and he's doing something that he loves, I'll be happy.

WHITEY : You'd make that sacrifice?

HALEY : Yeah, wouldn't you have done the same for Camilla?

WHITEY : Well, sure I would have, but I never had to. She always did the sacrificing for me.

SKILL’S FATHER’S FACTORY

MR. TAYLOR : Okay. Let's take a break. State championship wasn't that long ago. You can't be out of shape.

NATHAN : I'm in game shape, just not "steel beams for the rest of my life" shape. You do this every day?

MR. TAYLOR : No, I've been in management for years. I just wanted to see what you were made of. And, by the way, this doesn't have to be for the rest of your life. A lot of successful people never got scholarships to college.

NATHAN : Any of them point-shavers?

MR. TAYLOR : Yeah, how'd all that go down, anyway?

NATHAN : I was in over my head. I just needed money, and... the rest was a perfectly orchestrated series of screw-ups.

MR. TAYLOR : You, uh... you regret it?

NATHAN : Every day.

MR. TAYLOR : 'Cause you got caught.

NATHAN : Look, Mr. Taylor, you seem like a good man. But the thing is, I made a mistake, and now I'm paying for it. Those 32 minutes should not define me for the rest of my life.

MR. TAYLOR : I was hoping you'd say that. Now all you got to do is believe it. Let's get back to work, All-Star.

NATHAN : All right, let's do it, Chuck.

MR. TAYLOR : Oh, by the way, I'm supposed to be meeting my son's girlfriend and her family tomorrow. Anything I should know?

RIVERCOURT

Skills is with Mouth

MOUTH : Your parents don't know Bevin's white?

SKILLS : Never came up.

MOUTH : And her parents don't know you're black?

SKILLS : Look, they serving quiche, dog.

MOUTH : Can I go to this thing? 'Cause it sounds like it's gonna be an awesome disaster.

SKILLS : Great, laugh it up.

MOUTH : I'm just playing around. It's probably not even a big deal. I mean, if I were her parents, I'd be more worried about you being you than you being black.

TREE HILL HIGH GYM

Everything is set for the graduation, Brooke and Chase walk in the gym

BROOKE : Oh, priceless. "Mr. Turner, if you suspend her, you're making a huge mistake!"

CHASE : I was trying to help.

BROOKE : I know. You were very cute.

CHASE : I couldn't just stand by and let you not graduate. Besides, it got you to say you love me.

BROOKE : I did not.

CHASE : Yeah, you did. You told me to shut up, and then you said, "I love you for this, but go."

BROOKE : So what if I did? So what if I do?

(Chase tries to kiss Brooke but she stops him)

BROOKE : Hey. Are we really gonna do this?

CHASE : You mean kiss? I hope so.

BROOKE : No, I mean... get all blissed out on each other, like... right before I leave for the summer and we go to college.

CHASE : Why not?

BROOKE : 'Cause it's gonna suck when we're apart?

CHASE : Yeah... but it's gonna be great when we're not. Besides, I'm gonna send you the dirtiest text messages.

BROOKE : Promise?

CHASE : Yeah.

BROOKE : You're so sweet, promising to type me filthy things with your thumbs.

CHASE : Hey, anything for the girl I love.

(They kiss)

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Haley is in the kitchen, Nathan comes home, all dirty and exhausted, but Haley don’t see him at first.

HALEY : Nathan?

NATHAN : Hey.

HALEY : Hey. How'd it go?

NATHAN : Fine.

HALEY : Will you listen to this part of my speech and tell me if it works?

NATHAN : Yeah, sure. Let's hear it.

HALEY : Okay. "Now is the time for us to shine, a time when our dreams are within reach and possibilities, vast. Now is the time for all of us to become the people we've always dreamed of being."

(She sees him)

THE APARTMENT

Brooke and Chase are trying their uniform

BROOKE : Stop! Stop!

INSIDE HOSPITAL

After getting dress by Peyton, Lucas enters the operating room and Peyton goes to the gallery to watch. Dan joins her and Deb too.

DOCTOR : It's a girl!

LUCAS : It's a girl?

DOCTOR : Lucas, say hello to your sister.

(Dan leaves the gallery)

Later, Karen is in her room again. Lucas is sitting next to her, holding her sister. Peyton walks in

PEYTON : Hi. Look how beautiful she is.

LUCAS : Yeah, I'm afraid to move, or I'm gonna break her.

PEYTON : You're not gonna break her.

LUCAS : Want to hold her?

PEYTON : Yeah. Okay. Support her head.

(Lucas put the little girl in Peyton’s arms)

PEYTON : Come here, you.

(Haley and Nathan arrive)

HALEY : Oh. Let's see her.

NATHAN : Wow. I'm officially scared to death again.

HALEY : How's your mom doing?

LUCAS : She's still unconscious... but stable... they said she did great.

HALEY : Hey, I was wondering if you'd be able to step out for a minute?

PEYTON : Go ahead. I'll watch her.

HALEY : It's just a minute.

LUCAS : I'll be right back, mom... and you... and you.

(Lucas and Haley leave the room)

NATHAN : Unbelievable.

OUTSIDE THE HOSPITAL

Lucas and Haley are sitting on a bench

HALEY : Okay. I wanted to give you this before graduation.

(Haley gives him a present)

LUCAS : Okay. I got something for you, too, but it's at the house.

HALEY : Actually, that's not from me. That's from your mom. She just hid it with me so you wouldn't find it.

(Lucas opens it, it’s a book)

HALEY : What book is it?

LUCAS : It's my novel.

HALEY : Your what?

LUCAS : She had it bound for me. I didn't even know she knew I was writing it.

HALEY : When did you... I guess there's not too much your mom doesn't know about your life.

(Lucas opens the book and a note from his mother)

LUCAS : "Lucas, I'm so proud of you. Your words are wonderful. Don't be afraid to share them with the world. Follow through and finish this. Remember... 'There is a tide in the affairs of men.'" That's "Julius Caesar." Do you remember when you gave me that book?

FLASHBACK, EPISODE PILOT

LUCAS : Wow. "Julius Caesar."

KAREN : "There's a tide in the affairs of men..." or something like that.

END OF THE FLASHBACK, OUTSIDE THE HOSPITAL

Lucas is still reading his mom’s note

LUCAS : "Love, mom." I really need her to be my mom again, Haley.

HALEY : She will be. I know it.

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Nathan is watching the babies in the nursery, his mother joins him

DEB : Pretty soon, you'll have a beautiful baby of your own.

NATHAN : Trying to freak me out, mom? And, by the way, if you can't make it to graduation, that's okay. At least dad will be there.

DEB : No. If you see your father, I want you to stay away from him.

NATHAN : Why?

DEB : Nathan... this is gonna be hard for you to hear, and the timing is horrible, but you're my son, and I will always protect you.

NATHAN : Mom, what's going on?

DEB : It's about your uncle Keith.

(We see Deb telling Nathan what really happened, we don’t hear their dialogue. At the end, Nathan leaves Deb furious)

Daddy, what's going on?

BEVIN’S HOUSE

Bevin’s father is at his barbecue when Bevin arrives

BEVIN : Daddy, what’s going on?

BEVIN’S DAD : We had a slight change of plans.

BEVIN : What do you mean?

BEVIN’S DAD : Your mother wanted quiche, but I hate quiche.

BEVIN : Well, I have something to tell you. My boyfriend's black.

(Skills’ father join them)

MR. TAYLOR : That's okay, honey. My son's black, too. We deal with it.

BEVIN : But...

BEVIN’S MOM : Bevin Evan Mirskey, you are in so much trouble.

BEVIN : Why?

BEVIN’S MOM : Because if you had introduced us to Antwon sooner, we would have met his parents sooner.

SKILLS’ MOM : Hi, baby. Antwon! Get your butt out here and introduce us to your beautiful girlfriend!

BEVIN’S DAD : All right, everyone, just step back and observe the master.

BEVIN’S MOM : Here we go.

MR. TAYLOR : I was looking forward to quiche.

BEVIN’S MOM : You see?

(Skills arrives)

SKILLS : Hey, baby. See? I told you it wasn't nothing to worry about.

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Lucas is alone in Karen’s room

LUCAS : Hey, mom. I just wanted you to know how good you did today. You and Keith. She's so beautiful. You're gonna be proud. But, you see, you got to wake up... because she doesn't even have a name yet. You never told me what it was gonna be.

(Peyton enters the room with Deb)

PEYTON : Luke? Hey, we should probably get going if we're gonna make it to graduation on time.

LUCAS : I kind of just... thought I'd skip it.

PEYTON : Okay. Before you do, I think there something you should see.

Peyton takes him in the hallway, where all the g*ng is waiting

PEYTON : If you skip graduation, we're all gonna skip with you.

HALEY : Even me, Luke.

PEYTON : Remember what you told me about how much I'd regret it if I skipped prom? You were right. And I think your mom would want you to graduate with all your friends.

DEB : You can wait here, or you can wait there. It's all the same waiting. I promise you I'll call. You should go.

HALEY : Come on, Luke. We can't imagine doing this without you.

(Lucas decides to go with them)

HALEY : Yes!

DAN’S HOUSE

Nathan comes to visit his father.

NATHAN : Dad. I know you've been a bad guy, dad, and for a long time, I wondered if you'd ever change, but lately, I've seen you change. I've been so proud of you. But now they're saying... they're saying that you k*lled uncle Keith, dad. Mom said it, and Lucas said it, too, but... I know they're wrong, okay, because I know you could never do something like that. So just... Dad, just look me in the eye and tell me that they're wrong, and I promise, I'll stand by you, because I love you, dad. Just tell me they're wrong, please.

DAN : I can't do that.

NATHAN : What happened to you? What happened to you, dad? The day Keith d*ed, you d*ed. You understand me? My son will never know you. You stay away from my family, and you stay away from me!

GRAVEYARD

Nathan is in front of Keith’s grave, Whitey arrives

WHITEY : Nathan.

NATHAN : First time I've ever come to Keith's grave.

WHITEY : I was visiting with Camilla... looking for some guidance, and I asked her to send me a sign. I looked up, and I saw you. You know, there's a crummy little school about three hours from here. They haven't had a winning basketball season in over 30 years. Gym smells terrible. Nobody goes to the games. A man would be a damn fool to take their vacant coaching position... or a damn fool that just won the state championship.

NATHAN : You're gonna coach another high school?

WHITEY : College. Took the job this morning. How would you like to play for me next season?

NATHAN : Thank you, coach.

WHITEY : Don't thank me. Thank Haley.

INTERIOR TREE HILL GYM

It’s graduation

TURNER : So, without further ado, I give you Tree Hill High's graduating class.

(Each student comes to take his diploma)

TURNER : Chase Adams. Richard Asplund. Angela Brown. Brooke Davis. Sarah Huddleston. Marvin McFadden. Robert Moore. Bevin Mirskey. Peyton Sawyer. Robert Maxwell Scanlon. Jessica May Scarlow. Lucas Scott. Nathan Scott. Anna Smith. Antwon Taylor. Ferguson Thompson. And graduating in absentia, Rachel Gatina. And finally, this year's class valedictorian, Haley James Scott.

(Haley takes her diploma and comes to make her speech)

HALEY : Distinguished guests, parents, and this year's graduating class... My best friend reminded me of a quote by William Shakespeare that seems appropriate. "There is a tide in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries."

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Dan his watching the babies in the nursery, a nurse walks toward him carrying Karen’s daughter.

NURSE : Mayor Scott, would you like to hold your beautiful niece?

HALEY (voiceover) : "...On such a full sea we are now afloat... ...and we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures."

INTERIOR TREE HILL GYM

Haley is continuing her speech

HALEY : I think that what that quote means is that life is short and opportunities are rare and we have to be vigilant in protecting them... and not only the opportunities to succeed, but... the opportunities to laugh, to see the enchantment in the world, and... to live.

INSIDE HOSPITAL

Deb is at Karen bedside when we hear her monitor making a continuing sound

DOCTOR : Call Dr. Hudson! She's crashing!

INTERIOR TREE HILL GYM

Haley is continuing her speech

HALEY : 'Cause life doesn't owe us anything. As a matter of fact, I think that we owe something to the world. And if we can just believe...

(Haley stops talking, breathes deeply and laughs)

HALEY : ... I'm sorry. I have more. I just... think I'm having my baby.