07x19 - Brotherly Shove

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Boy Meets World". Aired: September 1993 to May 2000.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A coming-of-age comedy follows Cory as he juggles school, friends and romance.

07x19 - Brotherly Shove

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening Credits

[SCENE – The Matthew’s garage. Cory, Shawn, and Topanga are going through a lot of boxes of old stuff]

Shawn: How long has it been since anyone’s cleaned this garage?

Cory: Ugh, years. (He stands up, holding a beach pail. Topanga walks by, takes it, and drops it in a garbage bag) Hey, hey! Where do you think you’re going with that?

Topanga: I am taking this garbage back, full of garbage, to the garbage.

Cory: You are so cute when you try and intimidate me. Gimme the bag, it’s coming home with us.

Topanga: You are incapable of throwing out anything. (Gives bag to Cory)

Cory: No, I am incapable of throwing of memories from my life. (Opens up bag and starts going through it) I mean look around you, this is my childhood here.

Shawn: (Takes out a doll) Hey, Cory, you think Morgan’s gonna want Strawberry Shortcake?

Cory: Uh, yeah, she does. (Grabs the droll and starts talking to it gingerly) Hi… (Kisses it) (Topanga’s open wide) (To Topanga) She’s cute, she’s my friend. (Drops doll behind him) I can’t believe that you would wanna throw these things out. I mean, look, at this, this is a gold mine, here. This (takes out a retainer) is my old retainer. Remember this? (Puts it in)

Topanga: Uck, Cory, I hate that thing.

Cory: You didn’t say that when we were 11, remember? C’mon, kiss me. (Tries to kiss her) Just kiss me once, come on. Kiss me once.

Topanga: (Resists) No, Cory! No! All I remember is trapped food particles. Peanuts, popcorn, crackerjacks… Your mouth was like a baseball game.

Cory: (tastes) Mmmmmm… Nachos… Mmmmmm… (Removes retainer)

Shawn: Hey, Cor, check these out. (Holds up boxing gloves)

Cory: Oh my gosh, Eric gave those to me.

Shawn: Where is Eric? Half this stuff is his, why isn’t he helping?

Cory: Well look, I promised my parents I’d clean up this garage by the time they got home from vacation, okay? Besides, Eric would go through this all this old stuff, get all mushy, and not let us throw out anything.

Topanga & Shawn: Hmm, can’t have that.

Cory: Besides, I’d rather do it with you guys, anyway.

Topanga: (holds up sign reading “no girls allowed”) Discrimination! Not fair! Not fair!

Cory: Oh, Shawn, look, our old clubhouse sign.

Shawn: Yeah, “No girls allowed.” That lasted long.

Cory: Hey, I was in love.

Topanga: And I threatened to sue.

Shawn: (grabs sled) Hey, Cor, how come we never used this?

Cory: Oh, this? (takes sled) This belonged to me and Eric. Boy, this thing’s got some memories.

Topanga: (Walks over wearing a tiara and carrying two plastic swords) Your queen demands a duel. Lord Hunter (Hands Shawn a sword). Sir Complain-a-lot (Hands Cory a sword). The winner shall get my hand. (Walks away daintily)

Cory: (He and Shawn laugh like duelists) (Regular voice) En guarde, doody head.

Shawn: (French accent) Prepare to die. Scoundrel.

Cory: Oh, I’d a scoundrel? (Ebonics voice) ‘s cool. (Bops head)

Topanga: Alright, your queen’s getting bored, can we see some bloodshed? (Shawn and Cory start sword fighting. They hit swords a few times as they yell back and fourth. Eric enter)

Cory: Ow! (They hit swords) Shawn, you’re hurting me! (Shoves into him) Ow! (Takes notice of Eric)

Eric: Hey. You guys having a little party, here?

Shawn: Nah, just hurtin’ your brother.

Topanga: What you up to?

Eric: Well, apparently not having as much fun as you guys are.

Cory: Yeah, we were just cleaning out the garage, you know, I’ve been meaning to go through the stuff for a while.

Eric: Oh, okay, so this was your idea.

Cory: (Uncomfortably) Yeah… (Eric nods)

Topanga: Shawn and I are just helping out. (Her and Shawn walk away)

Eric: Y’know, Cor, this would’ve been fun to do together.

Cory: Oh, Eric, come on, it’s not a big deal. Besides, I didn’t want you to waste a Saturday.

Eric: But you didn’t mind asking Shawn to waste a Saturday.

Cory: No, Shawn… Shawn loves this stuff. Remember where he’s from.

Shawn: (Holding a paint can) I do love trash. (Puts his arm around Topanga and pulls her near. She stick out her tongue at him)

Eric: Okay, so let me see if I understand this. You decided on your own to go through our stuff, involving your wife and your best friend, who incidentally has a brother of his own to do this kind of stuff with, but you didn’t call me.

Cory: Eric. It’s not a big deal.

Shawn: Maybe we should go.

Eric: No, no! No, no, you guys stay! He probably doesn’t get a chance to see you a whole lot, anyway.

Cory: Eric, come on, don’t be like this. Stay, and we’ll…

Eric: (Interrupts Cory) By the way, I forgot to tell you. Dad called last night and he wanted me and you to look for grandpa’s tool box after calling you about you calling me about us cleaning out the garage together. We were supposed to do this together. (Exits) (Topanga and Shawn look at each other. Cory waves as though it was nothing, and bends down to pick up a box)

[SCENE – Student café. Shawn and Rachel are getting coffee. Shawn brings his to Jack, at the pool table. Rachel brings hers to Angela, who is sitting on the couch]

Rachel: Y’know, it must be fun to do an old clean out like that and go through old stuff you haven’t seen in years.

Shawn: Well, it started out fun.

Rachel: You know what, Angela? It wouldn’t hurt us to do some spring cleaning.

Angela: Ah, great idea Rachel, why don’t you start and I’ll catch up with you later like in the fall.

[Cut to Shawn & Jack]

Shawn: Y’know, Jack, Eric said something before that was interesting and got me thinking.

Jack: Wait a minute, Eric got you thinking?

Shawn: He seemed well rested. (Jack nods) Anyway, when dad d*ed, you and I agreed that…

Jack: (Interrupting Shawn) Deal.

Shawn: Deal?

Jack: Yeah, no, I was thinking the same thing. You and I should get closer, spend more time together.

Shawn: Start acting like real brothers!

Jack: So you want to do something later?

Shawn: How about now?

Jack: I’m up for anything! (Stands)

Shawn: (Stands) Sounds like a blast!

Jack: I’m having fun already.

Both: Hey! (They hug)

[Cut to Rachel & Angela]

Rachel: So, why exactly don’t you want to clean with me?

Angela: Oh, it’s not that I don’t want to it’s just that I’m not going to.

(Eric enters)

Eric: (To Jack & Shawn) I have theories, you know.

Jack: About what?

Eric: (Shrugs) I don’t know. Shawn, I wanna say I’m sorry about before, I was just upset.

Shawn: It’s okay, I understand.

Eric, Jack, & Shawn: (Rubbing goatees) It’s coming in nice. (The three meander into the room. Eric sits on a chair, Shawn on the pool table. Cory enters)

Cory: Eric, hey, I’ve been looking for you.

Eric: Well, you found me.

Cory: Uh, listen, I just want to apologize about before. Y’know, the reason I didn’t call you was not because not because I didn’t want you to be there.

Eric: I’m listening.

Cory: Because that’s not what I was thinking about.

Eric: Okay, so what were you thinking?

Cory: I wasn’t really thinking of anything, y’know, it’s not that big a deal. I mean, maybe we’ll do it again some time.

Eric: I’m really looking forward to that. (Cory walks over to the counter) So then why are you apologizing?

Cory: Uh, (Turns to Eric) well, I’m apologizing because you seemed hurt.

Eric: That’s very considerate.

Cory: No problem. (Turns back and takes some steps towards counter)

Eric: (After Pause) Are you really sorry or are you just sorry you got caught.

[Cut to Jack & Shawn, who are watching]

Jack: (To Shawn) You know, you’re right, he does seem well rested.

Cory: (Walks back to Eric) Eric, come on, this is stupid, alright? It’s no big deal. We’ll go home, forget this ever happened, we’ll clean out the garage, and be done with it. Okay?

Eric: (Stands, faces Cory) Y’know what, while we’re at it, why don’t we just move all that crap out to the driveway and sell it?

Cory: Why would you want to have a garage sale, I mean, that’s like our childhood.

Eric: Well, yeah, I mean like you said, it doesn’t really matter. Why don’t we sell it, split the money right down the center, and y’know we can be done with it, go back to the way it used to be. “Hey, how you doin’?” “Fine, how you doin’?” No need to apologize for anything. (Exits slowly as Cory watches in disbelief)

[SCENE – Shawn, Eric, and Jack’s apartment. Jack and Shawn are sitting on the couch, looking bored]

Jack: (Thinking) How about a movie?

Shawn: Perfect! (Stands) This is gonna be great. (Walks over to counter)

Jack: (Stands) Yeah, y’know, I am so glad we are finally doing this. (Follows Shawn to counter)

Shawn: (Looking at paper) So, what do you wanna see?

Jack: Anything, man, as long as we’re together, buddy?

Shawn: You mind subtitles?

Jack: You mean like a foreign movie?

Shawn: (Puts down paper) I know: bowling.

Jack: (Unsure) Bowling. You ever smell those rental shoes? Are you hungry?

Shawn: No, I just ate. I can watch you eat!

Jack: Maybe we’re trying too hard, y’know? (Sits, thinks, stands) Why don’t we just go work out?

Shawn: I don’t do that. (An awkward silence follows. Shawn paces around the counter) You like poetry?

Jack: I like riddles.

Shawn: The mall.

Jack: The bank.

Shawn: The bank? (Wanders towards couch and sits on the arm. Jack sits on the counter stool) Well, I wonder how the garage sale’s going.

Jack: You wanna check it out?

Shawn: (Excitedly stands and points) Yes! (Grabs coat, Jack stands) Man, this is gonna be great.

Jack: I am lovin’ it! (They exit)

[SCENE – Matthew’s driveway. All of their stuff is displayed on tables. Cory puts up a big yellow “Garage Sale” sign. He and Eric are the only two there. Eric puts a few price tag on things as Cory goes back and brings up a football helmet and round box. Eric goes back and brings up the sled. They put price tags on their respective items. Then, Cory notices the sled]

Cory: You’re gonna sell that sled?

Eric: Yeah, why not?

Cory: (Shrugs) We had a lot of fun on that sled.

Eric: Yeah, we did. What do you thing, two bucks? (Writes a price tag and drops it on the sled)

Cory: (Unhappy) Yeah, two bucks. (Long pause. Eric writes out more price tags while Cory just stands there) Why, you remember that time when when we, uh, when schools closed down for two days and we took this up to Dead Man’s Hill?

Eric: Yeah, I remember.

Cory: Yeah. And then we were sledding down that hill so fast we couldn’t stop and we caused a four-car pileup?

Eric: (Big smile) Yeah, dad was really mad. Locked us in our room for two weeks.

Cory: Yeah, but it was a lot of fun, huh?

Eric: (Nods subtlety) Buck fifty. (Writes a price tags and drops it on the sled, tears up the old one and walks away)

-Commercial Break-

[SCENE – Cory & Eric’s garage sale, it is much later. Rachel, Angela, and Topanga are there, along with many other people browsing. Cory and Eric, separate, are among them. Rachel and Angela drops two boxes of their stuff in front of Topanga.]

Topanga: Hey, guys.

Rachel: Hey, wow, this looks great.

Topanga: Thanks, what’s all this stuff?

Rachel: Well, Angela and I decided it’d be a lot of fun to clean out our room.

Angela: (Happy) Yeah, and guess what? (No so happy) It wasn’t.

Rachel: Anyway, we found a lot of great stuff, look.

Topanga: Oh, gosh.

Eric: (Walks over) Oh, hey, look at all that stuff, that’s great. Why don’t you grab a table, there’s plenty of space.

Angela: Wait a minute. (Pulls a bag from Rachel’s box) This is my purse.

Rachel: Angela, it’s been on the floor for three months.

Angela: (Reading price tag) A dollar seventy-two?

Topanga: Ooh, I’ll take it! (Slaps money in Rachel’s hand and grabs purse from Angela)

Rachel: Thanks.

Eric: (Takes a pink t*nk top from Rachel’s box) Rachel, did you wear this?

Rachel: I used to.

Eric: I’ll give you fifty bucks for ‘em.

Angela: Sold! (Eric quickly dishes money to Angela)

Topanga: Why do you want Rachel’s old t*nk top?

Eric: (Creepily) I’m a collector. (Rachel laughs, Eric walks away. Cory sees him)

Cory: Hey, Eric! (Holds up catcher’s mitt) Y’know, I don’t want to sell my glove.

Eric: That’s my glove.

Cory: You gave it to me.

Eric: Yeah, now I’m taking it back (Takes glove from Cory)

Cory: What is your problem?

Eric: I don’t have a problem! It’s a garage sale, Cor! (Gestures to garage) Y’know, why don’t we just sell it. You don’t use it, I don’t use it, let’s just be done with it!

Shawn: (Enters with Jack, arm in arm. They are both laughing hysterically) (To Cory, pointing at Jack) This guy, this guy. (Laughs)

Cory: What’s so funny?

Jack: Oh, I don’t really know, y’know. It’s just that we’ve been laughing for the last three hours.

Cory: (Sarcastic) Eric and I have been doing the same thing.

Topanga: (Walks over) What have you guys been up to?

Jack: Oh, a little of this, a little of that.

Shawn: Time’s just been flying!

Jack: Flying by!

Shawn: (Holds up hand) Up high! Up high!

Jack: (Slaps it) Oh!

Both: Yeah!

Shawn: (Steps away with Cory, puts his arm around him) Help me out here, man, I am dying. He is so freakin’ boring.

[Cut over to Jack with Eric]

Jack: Take me out of this misery, man. You got any g*ns for sale?

Man: (Walks over, carrying slippers) Excuse me! How much are these?

Eric: I didn’t know those were for sale!

Man: I’ll give you five bucks for them.

Eric: I’ll give you twenty.

Man: (Confused) Okay…

Eric: Okay! (Slaps money in the man’s hand, he gives Eric the slippers and walks away. Eric laughs childishly)

Cory: (Walks over, Eric sees him and suddenly become serious) Eric, come on, why are you being such a jerk?

Woman: (Approaches, carrying picture frame) Excuse me, honey, how much is this frame?

Cory: (To woman) Just one second. (To Eric) Look, Eric, I’ve apologized a hundred times, alright? What do you want me to do?

Eric: Nothing.

Woman: (Inspecting frame) It couldn’t be very much cause there’s a scratch on it.

Cory: Lady, just one second, okay?

Woman: I can’t wait here forever!

Cory: Lady, please! (Turns to Eric) Eric! I’m not a mind reader, okay? What do you want me to do?

Woman: You’re not going to sell anything if you ignore the customers!

Cory: (To woman) Could you be any more annoying?

Man: (Same guy from before) (Approaches) Hey, buddy. Watch your mouth, that’s my wife.

Cory: (Chuckles) Could she be any more annoying? (Man look evilly at Cory, then punches him in the face)

Eric: (Hits man in the stomach with each word) That’s! My! Brother! Nobody! Hits! My! Brother! (Man looks very evilly at Eric, unharmed) (Like he’s telling a joke) So this guy walks into a bar… (The man hits Eric in the chest, then on the back. Eric falls on the ground, goes with him and starts choking him)

Cory: Hey! That’s my brother! (Jumps on man’s back) Get off on him! (Woman runs over and hits Cory with her purse. Insanity breaks loose. Everyone, including Shawn, jumps in. A large man picks up Shawn.)

Shawn: Oh, you’re big! (Cory leaps on man’s back and slaps him girlishly)

[SCENE – Hospital waiting room. Topanga is sitting with Cory, who is bruised and has ice on his wrist, when Eric, wielding a black eye, enters and sits across from them]

Eric: Y’know what, I’m going to hang out here to make sure everything works out okay.

Topanga: I think you should. (Uncomfortable pause) I’m going to go get coffee from the cafeteria.

Eric: (Touches eye gingerly, then picks up a magazine and starts flipping through it) How’s the arm?

Cory: Why? Won’t be used in that catcher’s mitt anytime soon.

Eric: Well that’s good cause I sold it for a dime.

Cory: Eric, uh, I really appreciate the way you had my back today. Y’know, and thanks for waiting with me here, too.

Eric: It’s okay.

Cory: Not, it’s not okay, y’know, I mean, because you’re my brother and today you reminded me how important it was to have a big brother to look out for you and I’d like to think that I’d be there for you, too.

Eric: I’m sure you would.

Cory: Because that’s what being brothers is all about, right? Being there for each other when one of us is in trouble.

Eric: Yeah, as long as we don’t have to see each other in between, right? (Flips magazine onto table)

Cory: What?

Eric: (Grabs another magazine) Well, what about when we’re not in trouble, Cor?

Cory: (Unsure) Well, we can do stuff.

Eric: I don’t know, today was a pretty big day, y’know? Had a garage sale, a fist fight, ended up here at the emergency room. I’m not sure we can count on this kind of think happening all the time.

Cory: Eric, look, I’m really trying here, okay? I just want everything to be alright with us.

Eric: (Gestures to self) Big brother (Gestures to Cory) Little brother, I got your back you got mine, it’s fine, don’t worry about it.

Cory: (Getting agitated, stands) Dammit, Eric, is this all because I didn’t let you clean out the stupid garage? Alright, I’m sorry, okay? Now what do you want from me? (Eric rolls his eyes) What?!

Eric: Look, it’s not about the garage, okay? It’s about that fact that you shut me out of your life a long time ago.

Cory: That’s not true.

Eric: Oh? (Stands) Well, let’s look at it this way. We used to do stuff together, now we don’t.

Cory: Yeah we do.

Eric: When?!

Cory: (Stutters) We just spend the whole day together.

Eric: (Sarcastic) Today? Oh, yeah, you’re right, I forgot. Y’know something, I take it back, it is about cleaning out the stupid garage. Dad wanted us to do that together, and you chose to leave me out. Those were our memories! Do you have any idea how it felt to go down there and see Shawn and Topanga there instead of me?

Cory: (At a loss for words) Look, Eric, we’re brothers, okay?

Eric: (Interrupts Cory) Y’know what, you’re right. We’re brothers. We’re not friends. That means you don’t have to like me, and you don’t. (Exits, walks past Topanga, who’s holding coffees)

Cory: Oh.

Topanga: What happened? (Cory sighs)

[SCENE – Matthews’ garage. It is now quite barren. It is also late. Cory is alone, moving some stray boxes to some shelves. His wrist now has a cast on it. He sees the bike and stops and stares at it. Topanga enters, holding a sandwich]

Cory: Look at this. So many days spent trying to master this. (Topanga sits on a box behind Cory) And then that magical day when everything clicked. “Go, Eric! Stay up there! You can do it!”

Topanga: You guys did a lot of things together.

Cory: Yeah we did. But (Grabs bike) that was a long time ago. (Carries bike to back)

Topanga: Made you a sandwich.

Cory: Thanks.

Topanga: Sure you don’t want me to help?

Cory: (Sets down bike) No. That’s what got me into trouble in the first place. Am I wrong here? I mean, if I did something wrong, tell me.

Topanga: Well, I–

Cory: (Interrupts) I mean, I realize that I am not the perfect brother, okay, but neither is he. I mean, we’re talking about Eric, here.

Topanga: Yes, we are.

Cory: The guy’s a total screw up. (Grabs a box) I mean, we spent out wedding night in jail because of him, remember? (Puts box in back)

Topanga: What I remember is having one of the most amazing weddings in the best hotel in Philadelphia because of him.

Cory: But it’s not like we’re still kids, anymore. (Opens a box on the floor) I mean, we’re adults now and we have our own lives. Let him get a wife and try and keep up with everybody. (Picks up box)

Topanga: (Suppressed snicker) You like that cast? You can have another one.

Cory: Look, I did everything I could possibly do to try and patch things up, okay? And he rejected me every step of the way. He’s the one that sold our memories. (Puts box in back)

Topanga: I’m not sure it’s that simple.

Cory: We’re completely different people, Topanga. And besides, where is it written that you have to spend time with your brother?

Topanga: (Quiet laugh) I remember when that’s all you wanted to do. I was jealous. Shawn was, too.

Cory: (Exhales in realization) It’s easier when you’re kids, you know? I mean, I was there, he was there. You hop on a sled and the next thing you know you’re laughing at an intersection. (Topanga smiles) I mean time goes by and… somehow what you had just sort of fades away.

Topanga: That doesn’t mean you can’t get it back. You have the rest of your life to make new memories. The question now is just: do you want to? I’ll see you at home? (Cory nods, Topanga exits)

(Cory moves another box to the back. Eric enters, Cory sees him. Eric grabs a box, and hands it to Cory. Eric then picks up another box, and jokingly shoves Cory as they walk to the back together. They both up down their boxes and grabs new ones.)