01x09 - Refrain

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Code Geass". Aired: October 2006 to July 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Japanese anime series that follows an outcast prince who has been given a mysterious power to control others and becomes the masked leader of the rebellion against an all-powerful empire.

01x09 - Refrain

Post by bunniefuu »

The Britannian youth, Lelouch, obtained two powers.

One of them is Geass.

The ability to give an order to anyone.

A power that enforces absolute obedience.

The other is the Order of the Black Knights.

His personal army formed to destroy the Britannia Empire, ruled by his father.

Lelouch has started to act by using the code name "Zero" in order to avenge his mother and turn the world into a place that his sister, Nunnally, can live happily in.

What kinds of results will those actions bring? Right now, no one knows.

It seems that reconstruction work has finally begun at the Kawaguchiko Convention Center Hotel.

It's been more than two weeks since Zero unveiled the Order of the Black Knights.

However, actual evidence has yet to be found.

Did they conceal their escape route? They freed the hostages and escaped on the main coastal road Ah, Kallen M-Mistress.

I'm sorry for waking you up.

Again? I'm sorry.

This time it's because the ladder fell.

Hurry and clean this up.

It's almost time for me to go to school.

Mistress, you've been going to school more often lately.

Did you make any friends? That's none of your concern, right? Go away, dammit.

Even though they said it's for social security, it's such a waste to give this to the Elevens.

That's why it ended up with you, isn't it? After all, it is better that the population of the Elevens shrinks.

I'll transfer the money to your wife's account.

Her Highness Cornelia is a warrior.

She won't accept these kinds of acts.

Lights! Turn on the lights! Y-You guys are! The Order of the Black Knights! That's so unlike you, Kallen! Falling asleep like that.

Ah I was a bit Why don't you become Lelouch's disciple? That guy is an expert at sleeping.

Eh? That's him sleeping? I don't know what he does every night, but he slept through more than half of the lesson.

A battle has broken out against the EU at the El Alamein Front.

This means that we can't always be held up by Area 11.

We need to deal with our domestic affairs and turn this into a safe area.

In order to do that, it's urgent to eliminate t*rror1st organizations.

But the drug "Refrain", which is widespread among the the Elevens, is an urgent matter as well.

Productivity has dropped because of it.

We must terminate the main transportation route to the Chinese Federation.

Do you understand that? Yes.

Please be careful.

You too.

Stop going to the settlements.

Sister, about the Order of the Black Knights I'll let them roam free for a while, since I owe them a favor for saving you.

However, when I return I shall clean up this Area before handing it to you, so please don't think of anything dangerous.

Okay, Euphie? Because that man was a child of the Emperor of Britannia.

Eh? Come to think of it You are one too.

However, right now The significance of Zero's words at that time Do they mean that he's going to continue? Suzaku, how would you feel about Zero's actions? And about me Living two lives is tiring Hey Suzaku! Over there! Over there! Idiot, stop it, Suzaku! Stop it! Stop it! I'm sorry, Lelouch, but it's an order from the President You're smiling! Hey! Stop moving! Morning-nya~ Good mor ning What's that for? Oh? No one told you? It's Arthur's welcome party.

It seems peaceful Let's enjoy ourselves while the other activities have been suspended.

Kallen, I've prepared some costumes for you too.

Look.

It's an apology for saying those strange things to you the other day.

Which one will you choose? Eh? Me too? Kallen doesn't need one.

Eh? She's already put on a special outfit.

Why don't you go on television? You'll be a hit.

How was it, Miss Television Star? Ah, the topic has changed.

Quit joking about that.

It was really tiring.

We're constantly surrounded and questioned by people, even in the bath! We can't even get out of school this week.

So why are we prohibited from going outside? It's the thing called friendship.

Note: Milly is quoting a line from the Japanese version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

We've used a translation that's closer to the original Chinese version.

"We were not able to be born on the same year, same month, and same day, but we hope to die on the same year, same month, and same day.

" --Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Was that a proposal? It means that even in death-nya~, drag people down with you.

She's pretty mean, isn't she, Suzaku? This is great.

Eh? For all of us to be together again This is really great.

What's wrong-nya~ We should be laughing now! But that's the nice thing about Suzaku-kun.

He wants to say, "Take the atmosphere into consideration," from time to time.

I'm sorry.

Hey you, it's just a joke.

That's right I saved everyone.

Ever since our grand appearance during the hoteljacking incident, the world's attention has been on the Order of the Black Knights.

The Order of the Black Knights, based on Zero's proclamation, are allies of the weak.

t*rrorists who get civilians involved, tyrannical troops, corrupt politicians, enterprises that are only concerned with making money, criminal organizations, etc We've eliminated those who can't be punished by law.

We quickly became heroes.

Our supporters increased and we came into possession of Knightmares again.

Of course, not everything goes our way.

After all Stop this Order of the Black Knights nonsense.

Why? We can't say anything bad about Britannia.

We're Elevens after all.

Our leader, Zero, k*lled Clovis.

There are a lot of people among our allies who wish to see his real face.

I feel the same way.

However, I feel that he would disappear if we forced him.

We probably can't do without him now.

Lately You haven't been hanging out with us.

Really? Yes.

Are you all right? Why are the masses supporting the ones who rescued Euphemia? Even Kyoto is saying that they'll give the Guren Mk.

II to the Order of the Black Knights.

To that half-assed group? Those people aren't even a resistance.

Their k*lling of Colonel Kusakabe proves that.

The Colonel committed su1c1de, didn't he? There were rumors that they couldn't stop him.

Colonel Toudou, if we do nothing and this goes on Mistress Kallen? Mistress Kallen? President? There's something I want to give you.

Eh? Where should I take her? To the guest room, or To my room.

I understand.

Oh? I thought it would be a guy when she said it was your friend.

Coming home in the morning and not going to school It seems that you've been going in and out of the ghetto as well.

You're doing all these wonderful things while your father is off working in the motherland Blood cannot be helped.

You're the one who is really enjoying father's absence, aren't you? What should I do? What should I do? What are you doing? I'm sorry.

Madam, I'm sorry.

You're so useless.

The only thing going for you is that you're a female.

It seems like it's a complicated family.

What did you want to give me? Grandfather asked me to do it.

The Principal? Your grades since junior high.

He thought it would be inappropriate to give this to you at school.

So, it's been exposed? That I'm half Britannian and half Eleven.

The one earlier was my stepmother.

My real mother is that dimwitted maid who knocked over the vase.

Your father is the head of the Stadtfeld family? My mother is an idiot.

In the end, she's being ordered around as a maid.

She can't do any significant work, so no matter how much she's being looked down at, she has no choice but to smile weakly.

There's obviously no reason for her to stay in this house.

It's thick-skinned of her to stay in the residence of her former lover.

Do you hate your mother? I just find her troublesome.

Well, this sure is a deep story.

The legal wife, the adulteress, and her daughter are all living together.

It's not really like that.

Daily life isn't inconvenient.

It's not something unbearable.

Is that so? Even if you can bear with them alone, if they pile up, you might collapse under them someday.

Don't worry.

Even though I like to know the secrets of others, I don't like to leak them.

That's pretty embarassing, isn't it? Crying over a situation like that.

Just call me sentimental.

But, it was nice that everyone got rescued by those people from the Order of the Black Knights.

If they wanted to capture the culprits, they should've waited for the police to go in.

Why didn't they do that? They must have thought that the police were incompetent.

The police Even though they're incompetent now, it's okay as long as they start to change internally, right? They intend to change, but end up being tied down by various hindrances.

That's something you should say only after they put in all of their effort and try to make changes up until the very end.

By not doing that, they're just self-justifying their actions.

Self-justifying? What is this evil they speak of? We don't know what they're basing it upon, do we? They're just helping themselves.

Oh? It's just you two? Well then, I need to get back to the army.

Bye, Shirley.

O-Okay.

Bye.

Hey, Lulu.

Some time When you're free, how about going with me He said that he needs to return to the army.

Return Is that where you belong? Refrain? It's a narcotic.

It allows the user to feel as if he or she has returned to the past.

That sounds like it would sell well, especially to the Japanese.

Everyone gets nostalgic about Japan before she was conquered by Britannia.

It's a drug targeted at the Japanese.

We can't leave it alone.

We'll start to act once their illegally obtained supplies arrive.

Our resources have increased and there are a lot of people who want to be our comrades.

The Order of the Black Knights is pretty popular.

That's because we are the allies of justice.

I'll call you again once the amm*nit*on arrives.

You, Eleven, try and say something! Apologize, dammit.

Apologize! Aren't you Elevens great at lowering your heads? Eleven Lelouch? There are five of them.

You can't win, can you? Then I should leave him? Take a good look at the Eleven who's being harassed.

Go ahead and try to help him.

If you do, that Eleven won't be able to do business here tomorrow.

He has chosen to be a Britannian sl*ve.

That's what it means to work in the settlement.

Even so Do you have something to say? Do you think the Elevens are pitiful? You can't possibly want to be their friends, can you? How could that be? You guys should be bored of it, right? Bullying the Elevens I'm sick of this.

Let's go to the game center.

I'm broke though.

I guess they're the kind of people who get bored easily.

Are you all right? Ah! A Britannian student W-Welcome.

W-Want a Californian hot dog? I-Is he your boyfriend? If it's okay, will the two of you please come this way? There's ice cream too.

Area 11 can be said to be much better now, compared to when it was still Japan.

Thanks to her becoming a colonized Area of Britannia, both the m*llitary and the economy have stabilized.

Citizenship can be obtained too.

They just need to do some paperwork at the public office, and they can become an honorary Britannian, right? The only thing left is the issue of pride.

Well, I understand why they would want to treasure that.

And? Huh? I understand what you've said so far, but what do you, Lelouch Lamperouge, really think? What do you want to do? Nothing in particular.

You seem smart, but you're all talk.

Shirley is always complaining, "Lulu doesn't put in any effort.

It's such a waste of his brilliant mind.

" That's why I didn't do anything.

You should understand from the incident with that Eleven earlier.

It's easy to live by lowering your head to the Britannians.

You think that's cool? Embracing those ideas and looking down upon the world? It was stupid of me to hope for anything out of you.

I thought that you were a decent man.

Concerning the Orange incident Pardon me.

Concerning the Kururugi Suzaku escape incident, is it true that you have no recollection of that time? I don't expect you to believe me.

No.

The truth is that during the Shinjuku incident, I also experienced memory loss.

What? When I regained consciousness, my Sutherland had been stolen.

The only thing that I can recall happening before the memory loss was meeting a young man in a school uniform.

What happened to that student? I don't remember his face, but I think this is worth investigating.

What is that Zero thinking? He said that he wanted to defeat Britannia, but the things we're doing are no different from the police! But it doesn't feel bad to be thanked by people.

Yup, yup.

We're heroes on the Internet.

This is the right thing for us to do, right? Kallen It's Zero's signal.

He did it again.

Time after time, I wonder what trick he uses.

Is the distribution for Nagoya complete? It's safe since it's inside a settlement.

The Order of the Black Knights has appeared! Intruders! A Knightmare? What the hell?! Stop joking around! The Knightmare is indeed amazing.

There's an overwhelming advantage in just having one.

Japan! Japan! Yes, I'm getting married next month.

I've been promoted.

I'll be going to Paris this time.

Let's go watch the fireworks together next week.

Leave it to me.

Japanese technology is the best in the world, after all! Refrain It's decided! I'm going to study abroad! I did it! If they pile up, you might collapse under them someday.

That's right.

That's why I! Hey, hey! It's not safe to run.

Mother? Hey Naoto, you need to pay attention to what Kallen is doing.

You're such a weak woman.

Depending on Britannia, depending on men, and now dr*gs? Brother isn't here anymore! If this goes on! The night police?! Isn't that the police? Have they teamed up? Tamaki? I don't know! I was sure when I investigated God dammit.

What a nuisance! Why? Even though I don't want her Even though I don't want her! Kallen Naoto If my opponent is in a Knigtmare, then I can't R un Run, you idiot! I'm here.

I'll always be with you, Kallen.

I'm with you.

That was why That was why you continued to stay in that house? Just for me Are you an idiot?! I'm the idiot.

Kallen! That was great, Kallen.

You can become a Britannian.

When that happens, you won't be bullied anymore.

You can even make phone calls and travel as you please! That's her mother? False tears are capable of hurting other people.

False smiles are capable of hurting one's self.

It's the aftereffects of the drug.

She can barely talk.

It'll take time for her to recover.

The verdict is out.

It's twenty years.

Please wait.

Mother, I'll change the world before you're released.

Mother and I will live together in a normal world.

So So Do your best.

Do your best, Kallen My daughter.

Yes, I'll do my best I will do my best! Memories of the past? People who are able to reminisce about it are blessed.

They think that tomorrow will really come.

But who can promise that it will happen? It's all right to believe in her if Kallen wishes to get into it.

Yes, because we have no choice but to live for the present.