01x22 - Because I Was Happy

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Fruits Basket". Aired: 5 July 2001 – 27 December 2001.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Tohru Honda is 16 year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, the handsome boy Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure.

01x22 - Because I Was Happy

Post by bunniefuu »

I was so very happy when you smiled at me, A smile that melted everything away.

Spring is still far away, and within the cold ground, I awaited the time when sprouts would put forth their buds.

Even supposing today there may have been some pain, And though the scars of yesterday remain, You can go on living as much as your heart wants to believe.

You cannot be born again, although You can go on changing yourself, and so Let's stay together, always.

I'm Honda Tohru.

To me, Yuki-kun may be a handsome prince, even though there are parts about him that are awkward, and mysterious, but more than anything, he is someone that has a strange beauty about him.

I love Yuki.

From the way his hair shines silver in the sunlight, to his white skin, to the way his eyelashes veil his cheeks when he lowers his eyes, to the dignified way in which his voice carries Everything about Yuki means everything to me.

L-O-V-E, lovely Yuki! Prince Yuki Vice-President Kinoshita Minami-san! Here! Member No.

1, Yamagishi Mio-san! Here! Member No.

2, Goto Mai-san! Here! And myself, Prince Yuki President Minagawa Motoko.

As is traditional of Prince Yuki representatives! As representatives! we will set forth our hands! Our hands! in order to protect tender Yuki, and Yuki's heart! We will protect! For one, we do not steal the prince's personal items.

For one, we do not all go over to the prince's house.

For one, we only speak to him when there are two or more of us present.

For one, we address the prince in the following manner: Third year students, "Yuki.

" "Yuki.

" Second year students, "Yuki-kun.

" "Yuki-kun.

" First year students, "Sohma-kun.

" "Sohma-kun.

" Hail the prince! Not you guys again.

Cut it out, already! Today is the day that you are going to open that obstinate mouth of yours for us, Makoto-san.

Give us the names of the new members that next year's future council President Yuki will be leading Prince Yuki, or rather, Motoko-kun, you never learn.

Please keep your impulsiveness in check.

There is no way I am going to tell you all, with your personal feelings all worked up like this.

Oh, we'll just see about that.

Perhaps there's a certain current good-for-nothing council president who hasn't completed making his appointments.

There they are again.

Are those "Pri' Yuki" folks really that concerned over the new members?

Maybe they are concerned.

After all I'm not asking you to tell us everyone's names! Just whether there are any girls among the new members! It is this one point only that we regard as questionable! So that's it.

Supposing just supposing that this girl - Oh, Yuki-sempai, you're too much! turns out to be an enchantress, who would commit inexcusable acts against tender Yuki, what will we do?

If you intend to appoint such a girl, then it is all we can do to block you resolutely! With all due respect to your opinion, when it comes to the personnel who will support Yuki-kun, I do not choose based on sex.

Indeed, if I could, even I, Takei Makoto, would like to stay back another year, so that I could give lovely Yuki my own hand of support! And if I could, I would have Yuki skip ahead, so that once he had graduated, I could enjoy college life together with him! Who ever heard of such a self-centered thing!?

What about you?

You're the one who's blind to your own incompetence! Those two are probably going to argue until graduation, huh?

President Takei didn't open his mouth this time either, huh?

He intends to maintain his silence right up to the public announcements, doesn't he?

At this point, should we sneak inside the student council room?

We will take it under consideration.

Still, the tightness of that stupid president's mouth concerns me.

Couldn't that alone be evidence that there is a girl among the new members?

Um, by the way, Motoko-sempai I just know it's going to be some foolish, scheming, - Sempai?

- High-and-mighty girl Yuki is in danger! Motoko-sempai!?

Yes?

Isn't it about time that we also decided who will be the new president for Prince Yuki as well?

Motoko-sempai, you're graduating next year, and all Just a little more than half a year now.

Congratulations! As such, I would by all means like to suggest that for next term's president, I, Kinoshita Yamagishi Mio! Kinoshita Minami! Kinoshita Minami be considered, if you plea Consider me for next term! I'd like to become the vice president.

Why would you willingly want to be vice president?

I have just the right sense of responsibility to go about it.

Then, I will be take the president's position after all! That hurts! Speak for yourself! What are you talking about!?

T- that's right.

I will report on that matter shortly.

Oh, please wait up! Oh, dear! Yuki-kun! He's with that Honda Tohru again! It's so aggravating! Honda Tohru is a goon and an idiot! She doesn't have a single redeeming feature! She is still far and away a larger problem than the new members of the student council, huh?

Motoko-sempai, we really do have no other choice but to strangle that girl! She's right! She's right! Before it's too late! But still You're right.

We do have to take some sort of measure Happily, I've never had the experience, so I consider myself fortunate, but at Honda Tohru's back, there is always that terrifying Ah, hold on! Is something the matter, Hanajima?

Nothing of any great concern.

"Graduation" What a ring of misery the word has Yuki It's true when spring comes, I will graduate.

I will no longer be able to catch a glimpse of him at school, like I did today Nor will we exchange words.

Even now, I cannot forget the day that for first time, I exchanged words with Yuki.

It was then Yuki kun?

Yes for me, it was a precious moment, more important more important than anything else You are quite becoming.

Thank you very much.

Ever since, I have been love's sl*ve.

My little heart, Yuki, had become filled by thoughts of you Yuki Ah, Yuki! As always, our destiny is like a rosebush that grows along a black gate, a sweet agony that causes my heart to Shut up, Motoko! You're annoying the whole neighborhood! I told you to knock, didn't I!?

What kind of idiot knocks on a sliding door?

Stop acting so westernized, would you?

If only you had given birth to me one year later! What kind of nonsense are you babbling about?

It's all it's all your fault, Mom! What is the matter with this girl?

Writing love poems again?

If you've got enough time to be writing this capricious stuff, then why don't you sell one of our daikon radishes or something?

Minagawa Greengrocer then why don't you sell one of our daikon radishes or something?

Minagawa Greengrocer Don't talk to me about daikons! Minagawa Greengrocer Don't be ridiculous! We are a vegetable store, here! Minagawa Greengrocer Being born into this house has been the biggest mistake of my life! Minagawa Greengrocer What kind of selfish talk is that!?

Minagawa Greengrocer How is it wrong to be a vegetable grocer!?

You ungrateful child! Minagawa Greengrocer They're at it again over at Minagawa-san's Minagawa Greengrocer For crying out loud I said I wasn't going to tell you, and I'm not going to tell you! He is so tight-lipped My patience is at its limit.

At this point, we must take forceful measures.

We will sneak into the student council room! I see.

So is that the reason why you called me in?

You can do it for us, right?

Prince Yuki member 3rd year Aida Rika-san?

Of course.

For Yuki, I would do anything.

Don't worry.

There isn't a lock around that I cannot open.

What encouraging words those are! Right, everyone?

To think that Rika-sempai had such skills Let's hope that their side doesn't make any more progress than we do You're a fool for not using such a useful skill, Rika-sempai.

If it were me I would sneak into Yuki-kun's room If possible, we should have a rough floor plan of the student council room, shouldn't we?

We don't know the insides of it and such, after all.

You're right, Rika-san.

Let's go look it up right away in the research room.

- When Yuki-kun will be so white and graceful.

He will stretch out his They're going that far?

This is already becoming a fine criminal act, isn't it?

No, this is love! But it's still a crime.

That's right, Yuki.

For you, I would do anything, no matter how dirty an act no matter how embarrassing an act No, I do not think of them in the least as being dirty, or embarrassing.

Rather, to me, they are Materials Room They wouldn't have that kind of material in here.

However, there may be something else of value here.

Let's at least have a look around for now.

More than anything, more than anyone, Yuki is dear to me.

That is why, more than anything, more than anyone far, far more than even myself Yu ki! Yuki! Whoa, what a coincidence! What are you doing?

I'm making up a program itinerary for the class field trip.

It's Yuki.

- I figured I could see the materials from past trips here.

- It's Yuki, in the flesh.

Anyhow you look at him, he's Yuki! It has been a while, hasn't it, Aida-sempai?

Minagawa-sempai.

Yeah It really has been a long time since we faced each other, and exchanged words Well, do you want to hear what we did when we went?

It might be good for reference.

Right, Motoko?

Uh, yeah This is it.

This is my chance, granted to me by the goddess of fate.

I will have to speak with him for as long as I can Well then, if you please My chance has arrived.

Now now, I will have to make lively conversation, and as I am doing so, leave him with a favorable impression! And no matter what happens, I have to get Yuki to look over at what I'm saying and doing This is my chance, as the countdown towards graduation draws near I cannot allow myself to blow this.

Y- YY- Yuki?

What did you eat for breakfast?

Breakfast you ask?

I blew it.

No well, while you're on your trip, breakfast is the first step you'll take during the day, so it's very important It gives you the vitality you'll need for the whole day makes you powerful This morning, I had rice, with vegetable miso soup, some fish, pickles and natto beans.

The prince eats natto?

Um isn't that a bit B- but still, natto is very good for one's appearance, and health, and cankers! And no matter what anyone says, soybeans are the steak of the field, and all.

I like oatmeal, myself.

Ah, so do I.

Yuki smiled at me! Minagawa-sempai?

Aah! Indeed, Yuki's smile carries a million volts Is that so, is that so?

Yuki likes oatmeal too We are of like minds Minagawa-sempai, do you have a tendency to talk like that?

That polite way in which you speak?

Yes, I do.

Is there something wrong?

Oh, no.

H- have I done something to offend you?

Have I offended you?

Oh, no, it's not that.

How should I say this?

It's quite lovely.

Whoa, hold on, Motoko! He said you were lovely! No.

You were not saying it to me.

You were not smiling over me.

No When is it that you came to smile so gently?

When is it that you started changing like this?

In the year and a half since I met you, I must have watched you all the way through.

But yet, in some place that I could not reach that I did not know about At what point did you change?

Are you going to continue changing from now on?

The way you do, in that place I don't know about?

With the help of someone else someone who isn't me?

Stop.

Stop, don't touch him.

Don't get close to Yuki.

Keep your paws off of him! Um What could have come over me all of a sudden?

I'm just going to go wash my face Huh?

H- hold on, Motoko?

That was the worst the very worst! It's all hopeless now, everything It's all over now To think that I would take that ugly image and let Yuki and let Yuki see me like that But now he knows what my true motive is I hate any girl that gets close to Yuki.

Honda Tohru, any girl that might be admitted to the student council, the new president of Prince Yuki I don't even want to choose one.

I hate them all.

They're all my enemies But what I hate most of all is my ugly self, not being able to think of anything else.

They are foolish, calculating, high-and-mighty rivals.

But that's who I see looking at myself in the mirror Minagawa-sempai?

Y- Yuki! W- what's the matter?

I was wondering did I say anything that might have hurt you?

T- that's not it.

That's not it at all! Please, don't worry yourself about that.

B- but I am honored.

Having cool Yuki concerned about me I'm really not cool or anything.

I'm someone who isn't nearly self-composed enough.

Yuki Yuki clearly understands that I love him so much that my heart could burst, and that there's nothing I can do about it.

And what's more, here he is, trying to save me, the one who inadvertently revealed her ugly self in front of the person she loves.

Me, who doesn't even have a hint of self-composure.

Me either I probably don't have enough self-composure, either.

The truth is, I didn't even want to look at him.

This Yuki, who had changed in a place that I could not reach, that didn't know about If possible, I did not want to look at him.

And yet And yet, I was very glad that Yuki had come to smile in this way.

I like him a lot.

And that's why, much as I hate to say it, as much as I don't want to admit it how fraught with troubles ahead our love would be How unlike the way that I had planned our love would be Myself, I am so dirty, so ugly, and embarrassing, with so many places where I fall short.

But still Motoko! It's not as though there isn't any time at all.

During that time, I might grow as well.

I might just start moving in a revolutionary way And so I still haven't given up, all right?

I only have one prince.

Yuki, it's you alone.

Now that I have realized that anew, I am not about to give up.

Now let us circle together, around a pleasant dinner.

Come, take today's tears, and make them tomorrow's strength.

La, la, la Wonderful love and life La, la, la Adorable love and life La, la, la Wonderful love and life The bottom of my paper bag! Pardon me.

Pardon me.

I really am someone who can't live On the next Fruits Basket without always causing trouble to those around me.

I feel I must apologize for even drawing breath U- um I'm sorry! I apologize to everyone in the world! I'm so~rry I came to visit you! Um Ri-chan-san?

I'm so~rry! I'm so~rry?