22x12 - Revelation of the Daleks - part 1

Episode transcripts for the 1963 classic TV show "Doctor Who". Aired November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989. (First to Seventh Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

What began as an encounter in a London junkyard in 1963 was to become a national institution in the United Kingdom. The crotchety old man - a renegade Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey - who calls himself "The Doctor" has regenerated several times, traveling with several companions for over five decades.
NuWho   Specials  

22x12 - Revelation of the Daleks - part 1

Post by bunniefuu »

REVELATION OF THE DALEKS

PART ONE

Written by Eric Saward

Original air date: 23rd March, 1985
Run time: 44:31

Necros

Peri: I don't believe it. What I'd give for a burger. This is the pits. With my luck, I'll fall in. Ugh, get that.

The Doctor: How do I look?

Peri: (quietly) Yuck. (aloud) More comfortable than I feel. This thing I'm wearing's too tight.

The Doctor: You eat too much.

Peri: Hardly. I've just given my lunch to the fish. Can't I change into something more comfortable?

The Doctor: Certainly not. Blue is the official colour of mourning on Necros, and women's legs to be covered at all times.

Peri: Sounds positively feudal.

The Doctor: It's polite, not to say safer, to honour local customs. You should know that by now.

Peri: I don't even know this guy we've come to see.

The Doctor: Guy? Guy! You are talking about Professor Arthur Stengos. One of the finest agronomists in the galaxy.

Peri: I'm sorry. I'm even more sorry he's dead, but that doesn't change the fact that this is uncomfortable.

Peri: What was that?

The Doctor: Do you want me to find out?

Peri: No.

The Doctor: Poor old thing. I've warned you about feeding animals.

Peri: That was my lunch. Well, it's the last time I eat any more of your nut roast rolls. What else is here?

The Doctor: The odd voltrox, the occasional speelsnape.

Peri: Do they bite?

The Doctor: Only each other. Come on.

Peri: You didn't warn me about all this snow.

Chapel of Rest

Jobel: Lovely, lovely, lovely. Absolutely lovely. You've excelled yourself, Mister Takis. You really have.

Takis: Thank you, Mister Jobel.

Jobel: This will be the finest perpetual instatement I've ever made, provided the witch doesn't crumble to dust before we get her underground.

Tasambeker: Not with you in charge, Mister Jobel.

Jobel: What? That was supposed to be a joke.

Tasambeker: I'm sorry, Mister Jobel.

Jobel: This one thinks with her knuckles. I tell you, Takis, after today we'll go down in funerary history.

Jobel: Everyone will want our services.

Takis: Let's get the day over with first, Mister Jobel.

Jobel: Always the cautious one, Takis, but you're absolutely right, of course. What do you want? You're always under my feet.

Tasambeker: I'm sorry, Mister Jobel. I was told to inform you that surveillance has picked up the presidential spacecraft.

Jobel: Oh! I hope they're on time. She's already started to froth. We know what that leads to. Thank goodness that the casket is lead-lined. I want to see you all in fresh tunic and full funerary make-up before the president arrives. Don't want the poor thing uncertain who the corpse is, do we.

Tasambeker: What are you staring at?

Takis: You're wasting your time there. He's not interested in you.

Tasambeker: Get on with your work.

Necros

Peri: This seems to be the only plant that grows in this wilderness.

The Doctor: Herbabaculum vitae.

Peri: Herbabaculum vitae. Staff of life.

The Doctor: That's right. It's common name is the weed plant.

Peri: Looks sort of familiar.

The Doctor: It's very similar in food value to the soya bean plant on Earth. Can't understand why it hasn't been cultivated.

The Doctor: For your collection?

Peri: Yeah. When I get back to Earth, I've got to wow the college with something. My grades certainly won't. It is safe to touch?

The Doctor: Usually.

Peri: What was that?

The Doctor: Some small rodent?

Peri: With sharp teeth and rabid saliva?

The Doctor: Not on Necros. At least, not rabies.

Peri: Careful.

The Doctor: Come, my friend. Be at peace with the world. Concentrate. Concentrate. There we are. Now, what seems to be the problem?

Peri: Doctor!

Peri: Help! Someone help! Just hold on, Doctor! Hold on!

Radio studio

DJ: Hey there, you guys, figure this. For those of you who are appreciative of the humanoid female form, we have a maiden in distress. Not often we get one of those around here. Usually this place is as quiet as the grave! But seriously though, guys, a word of warning.

Davros' laboratory

DJ (on screen): Remember that although I am playing swinging Sixties sounds, you are in suspended animation.

DJ (on screen): And we don't want a repeat of last time, now do we? Remember, over here.

Davros: Shut the fool up.

DJ (on screen): Are expensive to replace.

Dalek: It is the Doctor.

Davros: Excellent. My lure has worked.

Dalek: I shall order Daleks to detain him.

Davros: No! It will give me the greater pleasure to watch his own curiosity deliver him into my hands.

Catacombs

Grigory: You're such an impetuous child. These things k*ll.

Natasha: So do guards.

Grigory: Oh, why did I ever allow myself to be talked into this folly?

Natasha: That stuff won't help you.

Grigory: I can but try. Look at the state I'm in. I don't know whether my hand shakes from fear or the delirium tremens.

Natasha: Are you ready?

Grigory: If you must.

Natasha: One, two three.

Davros' laboratory

Dalek: Sensors indicate a disturbance on level seven.

Davros: Show me. Inform Takis there are body snatchers in the catacombs.

Dalek: At once.

Necros

The Doctor: Why did you att*ck us?

Mutant: The disc. You shouldn't have tried to condition me. I would have reacted similarly had you att*cked me. In many ways, I think you've done me a favour. It's not been much fun being like I am. You wouldn't think I once looked like you.

The Doctor: What happened to you?

Mutant: The Great Healer. I'm a product of his experimentation.

The Doctor: Who is this Great Healer.

Peri: I k*lled him, and he forgave me. Why did he have to be so nice about it?

The Doctor: You had no choice. Come on.

Davros' laboratory

Dalek: Takis does not respond.

Davros: Get me Kara, and find Tasambeker.

Dalek: I obey.

Davros: I want the intruders caught.

Radio studio

DJ: Whoa, heavy. Hey there, you guys, we have you-know-what in the building. Looks like somebody could be in for a sudden defrosting. But seriously though, guys, I think it's time to cool down the pace a little. You know, I think there's nothing more soothing than a dedication or two. Yeah.

DJ: You know, guys, I get as much of a kick out of reading these as I know you do hearing them.

Chapel of Rest

Tasambeker: Takis? Are you listening to me?

Lilt: Who's in love? Who's in love?

Tasambeker: Who said that? Was it you?

Takis: What?

Tasambeker: Oh, never mind.

Takis: Why do you have to make so much noise? You're giving me a headache.

Tasambeker: I'll give you more than that in a moment. Your communicator was switched off and the Great Healer has been trying to contact you, but it seems you prefer to play with flowers than do your duty.

Takis: I like flowers.

Tasambeker: You're supposed to be head of security.

Takis: I can still like flowers.

Tasambeker: Not when it compromises your duty. You're a disgrace.

Takis: Because I like flowers, or because I won't respond to your pathetic bullying? Because that's what you are, Tasambeker, a bully.

Tasambeker: Your attitude does not go unnoticed. The Great Healer sees and hears everything.

Takis: Then he'll also see how you abuse his name to bolster your own authority.

Tasambeker: That's right, Takis. Keep it up. Talk yourself in front of a f*ring squad.

Takis: She's threatening me again.

Lilt: Well, she is a bit upset. You've got to allow her to get rid of her frustration somehow.

Tasambeker: Shut up! Listen, you're both in enough trouble as it is. There are bodysnatchers in the building. They must have walked in right under your noses.

Takis: Did you see anyone?

Lilt: No. Did you?

Takis: No. You see? Must have got in another way.

Tasambeker: Enjoy yourselves while you can. Meanwhile, find the intruders!

Davros' laboratory

Davros: Have that woman brought to me.

Radio studio

DJ: Rock and roll! Hi there, casket eight one six, or should I say, hi, George. This is the DJ with a very special message for you, my friend. For you, get down, I say, get down. Congratulations. And your dear wife now, who is still very much alive, would like to send you her fondest and her sincerest love. Yeah, she still misses you, my man. She misses you a heck of a lot. She would also like to reassure you on this special day that her every waking hour is spent administering the research fund which you set up to find a cure for Beck's Syndrome, that oh so dreadful disease which took you from her side. And I say get down, I say, get down. So George, from her heart to your heart, celebrating your long life it's some good old Fifties Earth time rock and roll! Yeah, go for it.

DJ: Well, you've got a wife and a half there, George. She found a cure for Beck's Syndrome forty years ago. Still, it'd be interesting to know what she's really doing with the money.

DJ: Hey there, guys. Hey there, guys. I said hey, the maiden in distress is a-coming this way. I wonder which one of you lucky fellows she's coming to see?

DJ: Don't all answer at once, will you.

Corridor

Takis: Was that thing on guard duty?

Lilt: So it seems.

Takis: Then it's worse than I thought.

Davros' laboratory

Takis (on screen): All that's supposed to be in these catacombs are a few thousand stiffs in suspended animation. No, there's something else going on.

Davros: You know too much, Takis.

Dalek: Kara is now available.

Davros: I shall speak to her.

Davros: Ah, my dear Kara.

Catacombs

Natasha: This is it.

Grigory: Why did I let you talk me into this?

Natasha: Get on with it.

Grigory: A bit of tomb robbing is one thing, but did we have to k*ll that guard?

Natasha: Look, I don't want to be here any more than you do, but that's supposed to be my father in there. I want to know why the courts were so unwilling to let me have his body back. Now hurry up.

Grigory: You can't rush this sort of thing.

Natasha: Neither can we hang around here.

Grigory: Look, if I open that door too soon, the molecular structure of the body will break down and poor old Stengos will turn into a pool of high protein water. Even if I were confident I could reconstitute him, we do not have a suitable vessel into which he could be ladled. Excuse me.

Natasha: Hurry up and get on with it.

Grigory: Don't you ever listen? I'm a doctor, not a magician. You'll k*ll him.

Natasha: If we don't succeed, he's already dead. Now get the door open.

Kara's office

Kara: It's all very well to make these demands, but you already take most of the profits my factories make.

Davros (on monitor): I created the product you manufacture. I have a right to the money.

Kara: I'm well aware of that, Great Healer. I would willingly sell the bones of Vogel here if it would help your cause.

Vogel: And I would give them willingly.

Kara: You see how devoted we are. But you'd get very little for him, dead or alive, and I would be without a secretary. Good secretaries are very hard to find.

Davros (on monitor): I do not wish to hear any more of your prattling tongue! Forgive me, I, I want, I need more money. I cannot complete my researches without it.

Kara: We'll do our best for you. I'm sure Vogel can engage in a little creative accountancy on your behalf.

Vogel: I already do, madam. I'm a past master at the double entry.

Kara: Then you must make it triple. You heard what Davros said. He needs the money.

Davros (on monitor): Do not call me by my name on an open channel!

Kara: I'm so sorry, Great Healer. Such is my enthusiasm for your cause, my tongue sometimes speaks what my mind would not dare to think. Please, accept my apologies.

Davros (on monitor): I would sooner accept your money.

Kara: Has Orcini arrived?

Vogel: He has, madam.

Kara: Then send him in.

Reception area

Jobel: If you wish to gossip, there is a rest room provided, you know.

Jobel: Oh, I might have guessed you'd be here.

Tasambeker: An attendant has been m*rder*d.

Jobel: It's a pity it couldn't have been you. Oh, I do wish you'd get used to my sense of humour.

Jobel: Why are you taking him to my preparation room? That is not the mortuary.

Tasambeker: He's been badly damaged. He'll require cosmetic embalming.

Jobel: Don't you ever listen? I have the president's wife out there, and I can tell you that she is far more active now than she ever was when she was alive.

Tasambeker: Oh, I'm sorry, Mister Jobel.

Jobel: I wish you'd stop apologising.

Jobel: I haven't got time to deal with him.

Tasambeker: Perhaps I could deal with him.

Jobel: I beg your pardon?

Tasambeker: I am a third year student, and I've studied your methods very closely.

Jobel: The way you get under my feet, I sometimes think too closely.

Jobel: He certainly is a mess. I suppose you can't make him look any worse.

Tasambeker: Oh, thank you, Mister Jobel.

Jobel: Now get away from here.

Tasambeker: Certainly, Mister Jobel, and thank you.

Jobel: Before you start hacking him around, the Great Healer wants to see you. Why I should be the messenger boy...

Davros' laboratory

Jobel (on screen): I don't know.

Davros: You are a fool, Jobel. I have offered you immortality, but you are content to play with the bodies of the dead, so you will join the Doctor.

Catacombs

Grigory: You were wrong. The body is here.

Natasha: Unwrap it.

Grigory: As you wish. Why do I allow myself to get involved in such lunatic situations?

Natasha: You see? They have taken him.

Takis: Hold it!

Natasha: Run!

Takis: Fire!

Necros

Peri: No door.

The Doctor: This is ridiculous.

Peri: I told you we should have come by TARDIS.

The Doctor: There must be a door. No door, no letter box. No letter box, no post.

Peri: Your logic's impeccable, but for one thing. Most of the people in there are dead.

The Doctor: Resting in suspended animation, Peri, not dead. There is a difference.

Peri: Maybe, but there's still no door.

The Doctor: Oh well, only one thing left.

Peri: Go back.

The Doctor: Certainly not. We go over the top.

Peri: You're joking.

The Doctor: Well, how do you think I feel? I'm a nine hundred year old Time Lord. Not much dignity in scrambling over a wall like a small boy into an orchard on a scrumping spree.

Peri: Okay, but don't drop me.

The Doctor: Drop you? I'll be lucky if I can lift you, the amount you weigh.

Peri: Oh, watch it, porky.

The Doctor: Oh no.

Peri: I'm sorry.

The Doctor: It's all right.

Peri: I wouldn't have had it happen for the world.

The Doctor: Forget it. I rarely use it.

Peri: But I know how fond of it you were.

The Doctor: Just don't go on about it. I shall learn to live without it.

Peri: I'll find you a new one.

The Doctor: On Necros?

Peri: Well, it wouldn't have happened if we'd been able to find a door. I'm sorry.

The Doctor: So am I.

Crypt tunnel

Grigory: There's no future down there. That way only takes us deeper underground.

Natasha: You should have studied your map a little closer.

Grigory: I stayed up all night studying it. The lack of alternative exits depressed me no end.

Natasha: Well, if you'd studied it with a clearer mind, you would have noticed there's a service lift to every level.

Grigory: Is there?

Natasha: Come on.

Natasha: Daleks.

Grigory: We could try another level.

Natasha: There isn't time. I must make contact with the others.

Davros' laboratory

Davros: Inform Takis.

Incubation room

Grigory: Reminds me of when I was at medical school.

Natasha: It's gruesome. Are they human brains?

Grigory: Yes. Think that thing'll work down here?

Natasha: I must make contact with the others.

Grigory: We're not going to get out of here alive, are we?

Natasha: I don't know.

Grigory: I have this terrible fear I'll die begging for mercy.

Natasha: Pride isn't important at the moment of death.

Grigory: It is to me. They won't t*rture us, will they?

Natasha: You're becoming morbid.

Grigory: Instant death doesn't bother me. It's the long lingering kind I'm worried about. You forget I'm a doctor. When they slice me open, I'll know the name and function of each organ that plops out.

Natasha: Well, at least you won't die in ignorance.

Grigory: You're right. This place is gruesome.

Grigory: A complete head.

Stengos: Natasha.

Grigory: Who is he?

Natasha: He's my father.

Stengos: Natasha.

Radio studio

DJ: Now listen, you guys. I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going out here. As you know, we have snatchers in the complex, but it gets even creepier when the word is that the snatchers have been out-snatched. So, if any of you guys are able, lock yourselves in your caskets now. Snap down those bolts, otherwise you could find yourselves on the outside going who knows where!

Davros' laboratory

Davros: Suddenly everyone sees and knows too much!

Incubation room

Stengos: My mind has been conditioned to serve a new master.

Natasha: So you keep saying, but who is this person?

Stengos: I can't remember.

Natasha: Why not? You remembered who I am.

Stengos: You are my daughter. How could I forget that? Who is this with you?

Natasha: A friend. Why have they done this to you?

Stengos: I am to become a Dalek. We are all to become Daleks. We are to serve a new order. We are to become the supreme beings. Help me, Natasha.

Natasha: What can I do?

Stengos: We must multiply. The seed of the Daleks must be supreme. We must conquer and destroy all those who resist the power of the Daleks. k*ll me, child!

Natasha: I can't!

Stengos: It is our duty to eradicate all those who wish to pollute the purity of the Dalek race. If you ever loved me, Natasha, k*ll me! k*ll me!

Grigory: Let me do it.

Natasha: No!

Stengos: It is vital that the Daleks are supreme in all things!

Natasha: I've got to get out of here.

Catacombs

Takis: Going somewhere?

Takis: Enough.

Lilt: What about those she's k*lled? I must mark her.

Takis: I said, enough. Take them.

Kara's office

Kara: My dear Orcini. I would have greeted you on your arrival, but a small crisis in the process department diverted me. My sincerest apologies.

Orcini: It is rare for someone in my profession to meet a client on their home territory. Assassins, like debt collectors, are rarely welcome. When we are allowed on the premises, it's usually through the side door.

Kara: He is a philosopher. How charming.

Vogel: I sensed it at once, madam.

Kara: I think we shall get on very well.

Orcini: Bostock, my squire.

Bostock: Lady.

Orcini: I'm afraid the only philosophy practised by Bostock is to do as little about his personal hygiene as possible.

Kara: And why not? The odour of nature has charms all its own.

Bostock: My very sentiments, lady.

Orcini: He may smell like rotting flesh, but he's an excellent squire.

Kara: Indeed.

Vogel: Be seated, gentlemen.

Orcini: We prefer to stand.

Kara: Of course. How foolish. As men of action, you must be like coiled springs, alert, ready to pounce.

Orcini: Nothing so romantic. I have an artificial leg with a faulty hydraulic valve. When seated, the valve is inclined to jam.

Vogel: Perhaps you would like one of our engineers to repair it for you.

Orcini: I prefer the inconvenience. Constant reminder of my mortality. It helps me to keep my mind alert.

Kara: Oh, Vogel, we have a master craftsman here. I feel humbled in his presence. Oh, no wonder your reputation's like a fanfare through the galaxy.

Orcini: I take little joy from my work. That I leave to Bostock. I prefer the contemplative life. It isn't always easy to find, so, to cleanse my conscience I give what fee I receive to charity.

Kara: Such commitment. Oh, you are indeed the man for our cause. As you must know, our factories are dedicated to producing a high protein concentrate. This we sell to developing planets for such a ridiculously low price it embarrasses and frustrates my accountants.

Orcini: I am aware that this product has eliminated famine from the galaxy.

Bostock: Tastes horrible though.

Vogel: That our scientists are working to improve.

Kara: Indeed, as everything we do here is to improve the quality of life for others.

Vogel: If only we could be left to get on with our work, madam.

Kara: I know. As in any paradise, my dear Orcini, there is always a serpent.

Vogel: And our malignancy is a particularly vile one.

Vogel: He calls himself the Great Healer.

Orcini: I've heard of him.

Vogel: A pretentious title for a decidedly evil man.

Bostock: Not much of him.

Kara: Nevertheless, he holds this planet in a grip of fear. He bleeds my factories dry with his constant demands for money.

Orcini: His countenance is familiar.

Kara: Then let me put a name to it. Davros.

Orcini: Davros. You know him, Bostock?

Bostock: I know him, master.

Kara: He sits like a spider at the heart of this planet, using the money he extorts from us to rebuild his disgusting...

Vogel: Creatures of hate. Daleks!

Orcini: Fascinating.

Bostock: What a k*ll Davros would be, master.

Orcini: Like the old days, Bostock. A crusade against evil.

Kara: Destroy Davros, and your name will become a legend for all time!

Orcini: You have no idea how long I have waited for a noble cause. To once again k*ll for honour and glory.

Kara: Then you will do it?

Orcini: Of course!

Davros' laboratory

The Doctor (on screen): There you are. Tranquil Repose.

Peri (on screen): That doesn't sound very alien.

The Doctor (on screen): What did you expect?

Peri (on screen): Oh, I don't know. Something more ethereal. Tranquil Repose. Yuck. Sound kind of yuck. The sort of name we'd come up with in the States.

Tranquil Repose grounds

The Doctor: America doesn't have the monopoly on bad taste.

Peri: I know that. It's just the way you talked about your friend. I didn't expect to find him in a place with such a tacky name.

The Doctor: To be perfectly honest, neither did I. Arthur Stengos wasn't the type to artificially extend his life. To hang around in the vain hope that someone might come up with a cure for the organic breakdown of his body isn't him at all.

Peri: Now you tell me. Why didn't you tell me before? I knew there was a reason why we materialised in the middle of nowhere.

The Doctor: I was simply being cautious. Or would you rather I had burdened you with what might have been a piece of paranoid speculation on my part?

Peri: It wasn't.

The Doctor: We know that now, but when I first heard the news of Stengos' death, I couldn't be certain.

Peri: Well, shouldn't we go back to the TARDIS? I'd feel safer if we did.

The Doctor: No, the TARDIS is bound to attract attention. I want to slip in unnoticed.

Chapel of Rest

Jobel: Now, this is a big day for Tranquil Repose and I don't want anything to go wrong. The key word is respect. To you, the president's wife is a stiff, but to him, she's a loved one who has passed on to pastures finer and lusher than those she knew in life. Now, although the president has yet to arrive, the utmost decorum and good taste will be shown from this moment on. Black cotton gloves will be worn at all times, and there will be no drinking, swearing or smoking of herbal mixture in the presence of the deceased. Are you picking your nose? I should hope not. All necessary conversations will be conducted in a whisper. Anyone who breaks these rules, inadvertently or deliberately, between now and the president's departure will find themselves scrubbing out the preparation room for the next month with a tooth brush. Understood?

Jobel: Dismissed.

Kara's office

Kara: Nice, isn't it?

Vogel: Incredibly compact.

Kara: Exquisite workmanship.

Vogel: Our engineers do such wonderful work.

Bostock: They're like a double act.

Orcini: What does this box do?

Kara: It's a one-way transmitter.

Bostock: Bit big.

Kara: It has a necessary built-in booster. Davros' laboratories are buried deep in the catacombs.

Vogel: Like the speelsnape, he hides his head under a rock and pretends that nothing can see him.

Bostock: Will that help us find Davros, or do you want a running commentary on what we're doing?

Kara: Even with Davros dead, he's not without his followers. And like the disciples of any fanatic, they will not give up without a struggle. As you can see, the box has a series of buttons. I will give you a simple five digit sequence which will activate the transmitter. This you must do the moment you enter Davros' laboratory. The moment you strike the final button, a prerecorded signal will be transmitted. I will then mobilise my forces to eliminate Davros' agents here and to take over his entire base.

Vogel: No message, no rebellion, and madam remains safe.

Orcini: What if the box is captured?

Vogel: No, if the transmitter is tampered with in any way, the message contained in the circuit boards will simply melt away.

Kara: Our engineers have thought of everything.

Bostock: I don't like it. Too many safeguards. It's as though we're expected to be caught.

Orcini: Bostock is a born pessimist, doubter of other people's motives. As a rule, his instincts are infallible. The only time I didn't listen to him, I received this.

Kara: My dear Orcini, if we had any doubts concerning your skill, do you really think we should be having this conversation? Your reputation is legend. It's said you only have to breathe on a victim and he's dead.

Orcini: Oh, I never listen to the foolish things people say about me. I'm too aware of my own mortality, as you should be of yours.

Kara: Of course, of course. But you must appreciate that the safety features of this box are a mere precaution. No one expects you to fail. I should have too much to lose if you did.

Bostock: That makes sense.

Orcini: Yes, but understand. If at any time I smell treachery, the skill I will use against Davros will be turned against you.

Kara: Of course.

Orcini: Good. I'm not interested in your political ambitions. I undertake this mission for one reason only, the honour of k*lling Davros.

Bostock: We shall need maps showing his precise location.

Vogel: They are all prepared.

Bostock: And transport.

Vogel: Also arranged. But, for obvious reasons, it can only take you to the edge of Davros' scanners.

Orcini: The walk'll do us good. You will not hear from us again except as a signal from this.

Kara: Which we shall await in eager anticipation. Orcini, I have yet to give you the sequence.

Orcini: Of course.

Davros' laboratory

Tasambeker: Oh, the Great Healer sent for me.

Davros: Yes, child. I have been watching your progress this last few months, and I am pleased with what I see.

Tasambeker: Thank you, Great Healer.

Davros: You have a good attitude to your work and you have a pleasing personality. Who is your head of department?

Tasambeker: Mister Jobel.

Davros: Of course. I shall speak to him. Tell him, if you're agreeable, of course, that I should like you transferred to my personal staff.

Tasambeker: Oh, I should be delighted and honoured.

Davros: Good. You will find the work very different from that you have been used to, but I'm sure you will not find it unrewarding.

Tasambeker: Thank you.

Davros: Please me, and I can offer you the universe.

Davros: Stay with me. See what goes on here. I will tell Jobel where you are.

Tasambeker: Thank you.

Tranquil Repose grounds

Peri: Look!

The Doctor: What was it?

Peri: I don't know. Some sort of machinery.

The Doctor: Well, what ever it was, it's gone.

Peri: I suggest you take a look behind you. Does it look familiar?

The Doctor: I don't believe it. I just don't believe it.

Cells

Natasha: Why do you keep on and on about bodysnatching? He was my father!

Lilt: You should have legally applied for his body.

Natasha: You think I didn't try? The law works against you. It's impossible to get a body back from here!

Lilt: So you decided to steal it.

Takis: Let's not go over all that again.

Grigory: Agreed. It is rather a waste of time.

Lilt: Shut your face!

Takis: I've had enough of this. Tell them the truth.

Grigory: You don't need to. It's suddenly become obvious. You can't get a body back from here because those who make the law don't want you to.

Lilt: He's right. For a drunk, he's not so stupid.

Natasha: I don't understand.

Takis: There isn't room for them. The idea of this place just doesn't work. The galaxy can barely support the people alive now.

Lilt: And not only that, there are a lot of important people here. Just imagine what would happen if they went home. They'd be in direct competition with those now holding power.

Grigory: Those who presently make the law.

Natasha: That isn't fair!

Lilt: Neither is the fact that you'll be hanged. Bodysnatching is a capital offence on Necros.

Grigory: Not when there isn't a body. Attempting to steal a mannequin can hardly carry a death penalty.

Lilt: This one has suddenly woken up.

Takis: There'll be a body.

Grigory: But in how many pieces? You know as well as I do, the only part of Stengos that exists is his head. The remains you produce for the court will have to be manufactured.

Takis: That will be difficult to prove.

Grigory: I am, of course, assuming there will be a trial.

Takis: The due process of the law will be seen to be done.

Grigory: I'm delighted, if somewhat amazed, to hear it.

Lilt: We must maintain our credibility.

Takis: Enough. What we want to know are the names of your accomplices.

Grigory: Oh, really?

Lilt: You were saying?

Natasha: Don't tell him.

Takis: Lilt, soften him up. I'm going for a walk. Let me know when he decides to talk.

Natasha: Stop! You'll k*ll him!

Radio studio

DJ: Hey, you guys, what's going on here? This guy looks like the walking dead. Hey, which one of you guys is out of your casket?

Tranquil Repose gardens

The Doctor: No. No.

Peri: Well, don't you like it? It's not a bad likeness.

The Doctor: This is dreadful.

Peri: Is it?

The Doctor: This is the Garden of Fond Memories. I've somehow managed to arrive after my own death.

Peri: It's not possible.

The Doctor: In the TARDIS it is. This statue is here of me as I am now. I shall never again regenerate.

Peri: The statue's a joke. Someone's having you on.

The Doctor: No, I've arrived in my own future and I'm dead.

Peri: You can't be.

The Doctor: Look at it this way. If I were to take you back to Earth after you had d*ed, it would be possible for you to see your own gravestone.

Peri: Well, it's a gag.

The Doctor: Gag? Gag? Do you realise how much a thing like that would cost? Far too much for someone to play fun and games. And I thought I was good for a few more regenerations.

Peri: Well, if you're going to die here, what's going to happen to me? I can't fly the TARDIS. I'd be stuck here. Unless there's a statue of me here somewhere.

The Doctor: I never thought precognisance of my own death would be so disturbing.

Peri: Can't see one. Doctor, the statue! Doctor!

Peri: Doctor! Doctor! Doctor!

`
The Doctor
COLIN BAKER

Peri Brown
NICOLA BRYANT

Davros
TERRY MOLLOY

Kara
ELEANOR BRON

Vogel
HUGH WALTERS