12x02 - Robot - part 2

Episode transcripts for the 1963 classic TV show "Doctor Who". Aired November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989. (First to Seventh Doctor)*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

What began as an encounter in a London junkyard in 1963 was to become a national institution in the United Kingdom. The crotchety old man - a renegade Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey - who calls himself "The Doctor" has regenerated several times, traveling with several companions for over five decades.
NuWho   Specials  

12x02 - Robot - part 2

Post by bunniefuu »

ROBOT

By: Terrance Dicks

Episode Two

First Air Date: 4 January 1975
Running time: 25:00

SARAH: It was oil. I knew it.

ROBOT: Who are you? Why are you here?

WINTERS: Hello, Miss Smith.

SARAH: Look out! There's a robot in there.

WINTERS: Yes, I know. Don't worry, my assistant's dealing with it.

SARAH: What?

WINTERS: I'm sorry if our little joke upset you.

SARAH: Joke?

WINTERS (OOV.): You were determined to see the robot, and so we arranged it for you. That is what you wanted, isn't it?

SARAH: Oh, how very kind of you.

JELLICOE: When we heard you were in the building, we guessed what you were up to. So I popped in here ahead of you and I activated it.

SARAH: Is it still in there?

WINTERS: Oh, yes. Would you like to see it again?

SARAH: Thank you, I'd like that very much.

BRIGADIER: Well, Doctor, what are we dealing with? Invasion from outer space again?

DOCTOR: Why should some alien life form inv*de Earth just to steal a new w*apon? If they were that advanced, they'd have weapons of their own. Rather a splendid paradox, eh, Brigadier? The only ones who could do it wouldn't need to.

BRIGADIER: Enemy agents?

DOCTOR: Well, they might steal the plans, but why steal the circuits and the generators? An enemy government would have those resources itself.

BRIGADIER: So where does that leave us?

DOCTOR: I think your enemies are home-grown, Brigadier. People with access to technological information and a most unusual w*apon. A w*apon that walks and thinks. In a word, anthropomorphic.

BRIGADIER: Well, I suppose that narrows the field a bit. Do we know anything else about these people?

DOCTOR: Only that they're prepared to k*ll to protect themselves. Where's Sarah?

SARAH: Well, what's the hold up?

WINTERS: Mr. Jellicoe is checking over the circuits.

SARAH: Why is he taking so long?

WINTERS: He must be sure that everything's safe.

SARAH: Safe?

WINTERS: Stop.

SARAH: It's very impressive, but what is it for?

WINTERS (OOV.): Ask it. It's voice-controlled.

SARAH: What do you do?

ROBOT: Insufficient data. Please be more specific.

JELLICOE: It has a terribly literal mind.

SARAH: Oh. What is your purpose, your function?

ROBOT: I am experimental prototype Robot K1. My eventual purpose is to replace the human being in a variety of difficult and dangerous tasks. Tasks for which I am programmed are: mining operations of all kinds, operations involving radioactive materials...

WINTERS: Terminate.

JELLICOE: Would go on for hours.

SARAH: Why all the mystery? Why didn't you just show him to me when I first came?

WINTERS: My dear Miss Smith, why should we? You were a privileged visitor here. You abused that privilege to pry into matters on the secret list.

SARAH: You're right, of course. I'm sorry.

JELLICOE: Not a bit of it. You were simply following the instincts of a good journalist. And now, if you've seen enough...

SARAH: It isn't dangerous, is it?

WINTERS: Of course not. Why should it be?

SARAH: Well, it just struck me that it could be a very powerful w*apon if it got into the wrong hands. It could be misused.

WINTERS: Like this, you mean? (To the ROBOT.)This girl is an intruder and a spy. She must not leave here alive. Destroy her. (OOV.) Destroy her.

ROBOT: I cannot obey. This order conflicts with my prime directive.

WINTERS (OOV.): You must obey. You are programmed to obey.

ROBOT: I must obey. I cannot obey. I... I...

WINTERS (OOV.): Terminate.

SARAH: Another of your little jokes?

WINTERS: A practical demonstration. You must admit, it was a convincing one.

JELLICOE: Prime directive, you see. It's built into the robot's very being that it must serve humanity and never harm it.

SARAH: That was a cruel thing to do.

WINTERS: Cruel? It isn't human, you know. It has no feelings.

SARAH: Oh, it's got a brain, hasn't it? It walks and talks like us. How can you be sure it doesn't have feelings, too? (To the ROBOT.) Are you all right?

ROBOT: My functioning is unimpaired.

SARAH: But you were distressed, I saw...

ROBOT: Conflict with my prime directive causes imbalance in my neural circuits.

SARAH: I'm sorry, it wasn't my idea.

ROBOT: The imbalance has been corrected. It is not logical that you should feel sorrow.

WINTERS: Really, Miss Smith, this is absurd. I think you must be the sort of girl that gives motor cars pet names. (To the ROBOT.) Deactivate. (To SARAH.) You see? It's just a lump of metal.

SARAH: Thank you for an interesting demonstration. I think I ought to leave now.

WINTERS: One moment, Miss Smith. If I were to make a formal complaint about your behavior here, you might find yourself in a very difficult position.

JELLICOE (OOV.): Dangerous thing, curiosity. Can get you into a lot of trouble.

WINTERS: So I'll make a bargain with you. Keep quiet about what you've discovered here, and I'll keep quiet about how you discovered it.

SARAH: Goodbye, Miss Winters. Mr. Jellicoe. Oh, please, don't bother to see me out.

JELLICOE: That was an appallingly dangerous thing to do. Telling it to destroy her. The inhibitor's only just been reset, you know there have been problems. Suppose it had obeyed you?

WINTERS: It made an interesting test.

BRIGADIER: Where do I start looking for this precious conspiracy?

DOCTOR: Oh, it's surely not that difficult, Brigadier. Oh, thank you. There can't be many groups of people in the country with the money and resources to design and build something like...

SARAH: An enormous robot over seven feet tall!

DOCTOR: Yeah, something like that. However did you guess?

SARAH: Guess? I've just seen it. I've been talking to it. Brigadier, there's something very odd going on at Thinktank.

JELLICOE: Screwdriver.

WINTERS: Careful.

JELLICOE: Swab.

JELLICOE: There. I think that's it.

WINTERS: Think? You better be sure.

JELLICOE: It's a delicate job. I'm not really trained in this sort of work.

WINTERS: Well, we better test it.

JELLICOE: This time emphasize the recall instructions. You know, it refused to return after that last business. I found it wandering near Kettlewell's place.

WINTERS: How touching. Perhaps Miss Smith was right.

JELLICOE: What about?

WINTERS: Perhaps it does have feelings. It misses Daddy. (To the ROBOT.) Activate. Prepare for visual scanning.

ROBOT: I am ready.

WINTERS (OOV.): This man is an enemy of the human race. He must be destroyed.

SARAH: Look, it's obvious that that Thinktank lot are involved. Why don't you just raid the place and arrest the lot of them?

BRIGADIER: I very much doubt if I'd get the authority. And if I did, it'd cause so much fuss they'd have plenty of time to hide the evidence. I must have more to go on.

SARAH: More than just my word, you mean?

HARRY: You know, you need an inside man.

BRIGADIER: What?

HARRY: Well, I mean somebody planted on them to keep his eyes and ears open.

SARAH: Hey, that's not a bad idea.

BRIGADIER: It'd have to be someone they'd accept, someone with the proper scientific qualifications.

DOCTOR: Scientific or medical.

HARRY: Oh, I say, me?

SARAH: Why not? Your chance to be a real James Bond.

HARRY: But...

BRIGADIER: Might work. We could fix you up with a cover story.

HARRY: I could wear a disguise.

DOCTOR: I'd like to talk to Professor Kettlewell.

KETTLEWELL: I tell you, as I told this young woman, I know nothing about the Thinktank and its activities. I severed all connections with them...

SARAH: But I saw the robot.

KETTLEWELL: What's that? No, that's impossible. I gave orders for him to be dismantled.

BRIGADIER: Professor Kettlewell, this is an official inquiry and I...

KETTLEWELL: Would you kindly put those papers down, sir?

DOCTOR: Plans for a new solar battery.

KETTLEWELL: That folder's private and confidential.

DOCTOR: This will never do.

KETTLEWELL: There are many years...

DOCTOR: If theta over X coincides with your disputed factor, you're losing half your output.

KETTLEWELL: Oh, rubbish. I checked all the calculations...

DOCTOR: The error's in the third part of the calculation.

KETTLEWELL: Bless my soul.

DOCTOR: But you're doing vital work, Professor. Earth's human race should have started tapping solar power long ago.

KETTLEWELL: This new solar battery will provide an endless supply of pollution-free energy at a fraction of the present cost, and they haven't the wit to see it.

DOCTOR: Well, there you are.

KETTLEWELL: Yes, I've explained it to them over and over and over again till I'm blue in the face.

DOCTOR: People never can see what's under their noses and above their heads.

BRIGADIER: Concerning this robot...

KETTLEWELL (To the BRIGADIER.): You be quiet, young man. (To the DOCTOR.) You know, ever since the days of Galileo...

DOCTOR: And Copernicus.

KETTLEWELL: And Copernicus, scientists have had to...

DOCTOR: Professor, I think you ought to tell us about the robot. Yes.

KETTLEWELL: It was the last project I worked upon before I decided to leave. I gave orders for him to be dismantled. It was like putting my own son to death. I thought it was for the best. His power, his capacity to learn, had begun to frighten me.

SARAH: But it wasn't destroyed, was it?

KETTLEWELL: I don't know. That woman, Winters, might have countermanded my orders.

BRIGADIER: Could the robot have been made to carry out these break-ins?

KETTLEWELL: No, no. You say that people were hurt, even k*lled?

BRIGADIER: Yeah.

KETTLEWELL: Oh, it is out of the question. (To SARAH.)You said he refused to harm you, didn't you? Yes, well... I gave him my own brain pattern. He has my principles, my ideals.

DOCTOR: But the circuitry you built could be altered or tampered with.

KETTLEWELL: Doctor, not even I could effect such a change. As for Jellicoe and Miss Winters, they're incompetent nincompoops.

SARAH: Maybe, but I wouldn't put it past them to try.

KETTLEWELL: If they force him to go against his prime directive, they'll destroy his mind. He'll go mad.

ROBOT: You are an enemy of humanity. I must destroy you.

BRIGADIER: There was a triple-security thermo-lock on that safe, made from case-hardened Dynastreem. It was completely disintegrated.

DOCTOR: Disintegrated?

SARAH: But there's nothing that could do that. Dynastreem's indestructible.

DOCTOR: I think the Brigadier has an idea, eh, Alastair?

BRIGADIER: Anyway, the neighbors heard a commotion, but by the time the police arrived, it was all over. The safe was empty.

DOCTOR (OOV.): Who was this man?

BRIGADIER (OOV.): Joseph Chambers, Cabinet Minister.

BRIGADIER: He had certain special responsibilities in the area of security. I've been carrying out a full security check on these Thinktank people.

DOCTOR: Anything interesting?

BRIGADIER: No, not really. They seem to be an exemplary lot. Just one oddity. Quite a few of them were members of something called The Scientific Reform Society.

DOCTOR: Oh, really? And who might they be?

BRIGADIER: A little tin-pot organization founded years ago. It wants to reform the world on rational and scientific lines, you know that sort of thing. Harmless bunch of cranks if you ask me. Recently...

DOCTOR: Yes, go on, then.

BRIGADIER: Well, they've had a sudden rush of new members. Quite a few well-known scientists. Younger people, too, computer technicians and so on.

SARAH: Is Miss Winters a member?

BRIGADIER (OOV.): Apparently, and Jellicoe, too, and quite a few of the Thinktank lot.

SARAH: Doesn't sound their style, does it?

DOCTOR (OOV.): No.

SARAH: Oh, well.

BRIGADIER: Where you off to?

SARAH: Home to bed. Busy day tomorrow. Still a working girl, you know.

BRIGADIER (OOV.): Yes, quite right, too. You leave all this business to us.

SARAH: One thing about reform societies, they're never adverse to a bit of free publicity.

BRIGADIER: Well, Doctor, what do you think... Doctor, what are we going to do? Or shall we leave it all to Miss Smith?

DOCTOR: Let's pay a visit to Thinktank tomorrow, Brigadier. We can ask them to demonstrate Professor Kettlewell's robot. Good night.

KETTLEWELL: Hello?

KETTLEWELL: Rats.

ROBOT: I... I... I...

KETTLEWELL: What's the matter?

ROBOT: I have been given orders that conflict with my prime directive.

KETTLEWELL: Oh, no.

ROBOT: They say there is no conflict. Yet I know there is conflict. I do not understand. Help me.

SARAH: As I understand it then, Mr. Short, you advocate rule by a sort of self-appointed elite.

SHORT: It's only logical. Superior types should rule, they're the best equipped for it.

SARAH: And the inferior types?

SHORT: They'd be guided, helped. Kept away from harmful ideas and influences. For instance...

SARAH (OOV.): Do go on.

SHORT: Your own attire, is it really suitable?

SARAH: Trousers? Oh, surely that's a matter for me to decide.

SHORT: As things are at the moment, it is. But in a more rationally ordered society...

SARAH: I would wear what you thought was good for me? I see. And think what you thought was good for me, too?

SHORT: It'd be for your own good.

SARAH: Oh, I see you're having a meeting here tonight. Do you think it'd be possible for me to come?

SHORT: Sorry, out of the question. Private meeting, members only, no press.

SARAH: But if I joined?

SHORT: I really don't think you qualify. We have very high standards.

SARAH: Well, thank you so much for your time, Mr. Short. And for telling me your most interesting ideas.

SHORT: I do hope you'll include us in your article. We have been sadly misrepresented.

SARAH: Really? Well, we're covering a number of fringe organizations, and I'm sure we'll find a place for you, somewhere between the flying saucer people and the flat-earthers.

DOCTOR: Can't thank you enough for the visit, it's been most amusing.

WINTERS: I suppose it all seems very elementary to a scientist of your standing, Doctor.

DOCTOR: Yes, it does rather, but never mind. You've got to start somewhere. But there is one thing I'm looking forward to. Professor Kettlewell's robot. It's in here, isn't it?

DOCTOR: Come on, then. Where is your Tin Man?

WINTERS: I'm afraid I must disappoint you, Doctor.

DOCTOR: Oh, dear. I do so hate being disappointed. I was determined to see that robot.

WINTERS: We had to dismantle it.

DOCTOR: What? And such a harmless creature, too?

WINTERS (OOV.): After the visit of your friend, Miss Smith, it became unstable.

WINTERS: She introduced it to concepts it was not equipped to deal with.

DOCTOR: What? Concern, compassion, useless things like that?

WINTERS: We decided it would be safer to follow Professor Kettlewell's original instructions.

DOCTOR (OOV.): Now, that is a pity. You see, one of our problems, Miss Winters, is that...

DOCTOR: Oh, I say! You haven't still got the bits, have you? Maybe I could put it together again. I'm really rather good at that sort of thing.

WINTERS: We have our own furnaces in the basement. The robot has been utterly destroyed.

BRIGADIER: I could get authority to search.

WINTERS: You might find that difficult, Brigadier, but I won't stand on formalities. Search, by all means, if you wish.

DOCTOR: In that case, I'm sure we needn't bother. Come along, Brigadier. Miss Winters has a great deal to do.

JELLICOE: Miss Winters, there's a visitor. (To the DOCTOR.)I'm sorry.

WINTERS: Would you forgive me?

DOCTOR: Please, don't let us detain you.

WINTERS: Philips will show you the short cut back to your car.

DOCTOR: You know, I have a feeling we shall meet again. Come along, Brigadier.

JELLICOE: Did they believe you?

WINTERS: Of course not. But it doesn't matter. By the time they can act, it will be too late.

JELLICOE: Someone from the Ministry of Health has just turned up. Apparently under some obscure regulation they've just remembered, we have to have a complete check-up on the medical records of our staff here.

WINTERS: What an odd coincidence at a time like this.

JELLICOE: Director, this is Doctor Sullivan from the Ministry.

BRIGADIER: Did you believe them?

DOCTOR: No, of course not. They know I didn't. And I know that they know I didn't, and they know that I know that...

BRIGADIER: Yes, all right, Doctor. All right. So where is the robot?

DOCTOR: Either it's wandered off somewhere by itself or they've hidden it.

BRIGADIER: I see. Well, I must be off. Got to try and persuade the Minister to let me raid Thinktank. What are you gonna do? Oh, no, don't tell me, more thinking.

DOCTOR: I beg your pardon, Brigadier, I was just thinking. (On the phone.) Yes? Yes, of course I'll talk to him. I'll talk to anybody. Professor Kettlewell? Yes, this is the Doctor.

KETTLEWELL: Doctor, you've got to help me. The robot has come to my house. I've got him hidden, but he's very unstable. I may not be able to control him. We must keep him out of the hands of those Thinktank people, they've driven him almost insane. Yes, at my house. I'll be waiting at the gate.

SARAH: Oh, I like that. What is it?

BENTON: That's a promotion, miss, to WO1 .

SARAH: WO what?

BENTON: Warrant Officer. You see, technically speaking, the Brig should have a major and a captain under him. The UNIT budget won't run to it, so they settled on promoting me.

SARAH: Congratulations. About time, too.

BENTON: Thank you.

SARAH: Doctor, I went to see those SRS... Oh, no. (Reading.) "Sarah, Professor Kettlewell tells me that he has the robot hidden at his house. Gone to meet him. PS. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is, I can deal with it. PPS. I'm leaving this note in case I can't." Oh, the idiot! He thinks he can cope with anything.

BENTON: Right, we better get after him. I'll get some men.

SARAH: I'll see you there.

BENTON: Wait for us. We'll go together.

DOCTOR: Professor Kettlewell? Professor Kettlewell? Professor?

ROBOT: You are the Doctor?

DOCTOR: How do you do? I've been so looking forward to meeting you.

ROBOT: Please confirm your identity. There must be no mistake. You are the Doctor?

DOCTOR: Yes, yes, of course.

ROBOT: You are an enemy of the human race. I must destroy you. Please do not resist. I do not wish to cause you unnecessary pain.

DOCTOR: How very kind of you.

DOCTOR: Prime directive. What is your prime directive?

ROBOT: I must serve humanity and never harm it.

DOCTOR: Then you mustn't harm me. I'm a friend of humanity.

ROBOT: No, you are an enemy. You must be destroyed.

DOCTOR Mouths silently.: Extraordinary.

`
THE DOCTOR
TOM BAKER

THE DOCTOR
JON PERTWEE (RECAP CAMEO)

SARAH JANE SMITH
ELISABETH SLADEN

HARRY SULLIVAN
IAN MARTER

BRIGADIER LETHBRIDGE-STEWART
NICHOLAS COURTNEY