01x01 - Those Who Challenge the Sun

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Fullmetal Alchemist". Aired: October 4, 2003 - October 2, 2004.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Anime series set in a fictional universe in which alchemy is one of the most advanced scientific techniques, the story follows two brothers who want to recover parts of their bodies lost in an attempt to bring their mother back to life.

01x01 - Those Who Challenge the Sun

Post by bunniefuu »

It's finished.

Al? It's okay.

This is perfect.

Let's do it.

Alchemy.

It is the scientific technique of understanding the structure of matter, decomposing it, and then reconstructing it.

If performed skillfully, it is even possible to create gold out of lead.

However, as it is a science, there are some natural principles in place.

Only one thing can be created from something else of a certain mass.

This is the Principle of Equivalent Exchange.

What? What's the matter? Hold on, Winry! This Principle states, that in order to gain something, something else of equal value is required.

Is that some kind of maxim? Man cannot obtain anything without sacrificing something? Al! Al! Alphonse! Damn it! I'm not about to let this happen! This wasn't this wasn't supposed to Damn it! He's been taken away! Mom? Oh, I'm so hungry If only there was some grass growing here, I could change it into bread.

Al? Al? Where are you? Al? Al!? Right here! Help me, Brother.

You got buried again? Do that one more time, and I'm leaving you behind! But! Don't "but" me! Al! Wait up, Al! I'm not waiting! Stop! I'm not stopping! Straighten up! I won't get buried again! Brother, are you okay? It's all your fault for not stopping.

None would stop if they were told to do so like you did.

Oh, so that's it? I'm so thirsty Water? Water! Brother! Water! Water! Water! Water! Water! Water! Water! This is what I've been smelling all along? Brother! Blood? More like blood-red wine.

Hey, you! This is off limits to kids, you know! I'm sorry, I'm sorry! As travelers, you wouldn't have known that there was wine coming out of there, huh? Wow! The town of Liore here must be pretty prosperous, huh? Having a wine fountain and all.

Yeah, you might say that.

Oh, whoops, gotta do this All of God's children, who live upon this land, pray in faith, that ye may be saved.

The Sun God Leto illuminates thy footsteps.

- God, who watches over thee, has come from his throne, - What's the deal? - A religious broadcast? - and saves thee from all thy sins.

- As far as I'm concerned, I should be the one asking "What's the deal?" of you guys.

I am Leto's representative, and thy father.

- I offer up this prayer.

- Are you guys street performers or something? Now look here, Pop! Where did you get that idea!? If you're not performers, then what have you come all this way for? Oh, there's something we're looking for.

So, what's up with this broadcast? That's Cornello.

Yeah, and like, who is he? You don't know the representative of the Sun God Leto!? No, so who is he? He's Cornello! He is a performer of miraculous works! It's because of him that this forsaken town in the middle of the desert has become as prosperous as it is! He really is an incredible man! Yeah! The works that man does are truly miraculous! I'm not all that interested in religion Shall we get going, Al? Mm-hmm.

Now you've done it, sir! This is what happens when you go around in such an outfit! Sorry, sorry! I'll fix it right away.

Fix it? I'm so sorry! Brother, I'll do it.

Okay.

What's that? It's a transmutation circle.

All right Okay, here goes! As the representative of Leto, I pour out my love unto thee always.

This is a surprise! You guys can also perform miraculous acts!? What do you mean by that? We're alchemists.

We're the Elric Brothers.

Our reputation is fairly widespread.

Alchemists? Then it wasn't a miracle? I've never heard of any alchemists around these parts.

He's the Fullmetal Alchemist, Edward Elric.

You're famous around East City.

Said to be an alchemist prodigy.

Incredible! So that's it! Because you wear all this armor, you've gotten the nickname "Fullmetal," huh? Are you really that famous? Yeah? Um, not me You mean the little guy there? Who are you calling a bean sprout, too tiny to even notice!? Nobody called you that! Things sure are bustling today! Oh, Rose! My, I haven't seen these folks around.

I'm Alphonse Elric.

And I'm the Fullmetal Alchemist, his older brother, Edward Elric.

Oh my, you're the older brother? Now, now Rose, are you already done shopping for your offering? Yes.

In that case, take these two along with you to the Church of Leto.

They say they're looking for something, so they could ask for God's grace.

Oh, but we don't It's all right.

There are pilgrim's quarters there, too.

Please, make your stay there.

Yeah, but Really? In that case, let's take them up on it, okay Al? O-okay Rose sure has gotten a lot more cheerful, huh? Yeah.

That's thanks to the Minister.

Especially after what happened.

Al That woman at the shop earlier have we ever seen her before? It'll be okay! I'm sure you'll find what it is you're looking for right away.

And what's more If you pray, I'm sure you'll grow taller! Hey, what did you say!? I'm sorry! Don't go making fun of me! Brother! Wait up! Pray in faith, that thy entreaties may be accorded thee.

May all of his children receive the grace of his light, both today and tomorrow.

Nicely done, Minister.

Thank you so much for your favorable words today.

Minister Ah, Rose.

Um, may I put some travelers up in the pilgrim's quarters? You seem to do all you can each day for God, huh? Yes.

I serve the Lord Leto always.

That's why God sees your good works.

The reason your miracle has not occurred is that the time is still a little too short.

Right Huh? You say that's the grave of Rose's beloved? Without anyone to rely on, and having lost her boyfriend in an accident, Rose clings to Minister Cornello's teachings.

When all the while, there's no way the dead can come back to life.

They do appear to come back.

As the living are given an immortal soul, so are the dead given resurrection.

The testament is in the miraculous works, they say.

Sounds fishy.

What do you think? It's apparent to me that metamorphic reaction must be alchemy.

It sure is.

But still, the laws Oh, it's you two! What do you think about Cornello's miraculous works? Anyhow you look at it, that's alchemy.

This Cornello guy is just a swindling bastard.

That's not entirely established.

We just know that he's ignoring the laws.

The laws? Alchemy isn't the creation of something out of nothing.

It's a scientific technique, which obeys the laws of nature.

You can only get something out of another thing of the same mass.

It's like how I could only make a radio that was the same size as before.

I couldn't make it a bigger radio, or change it into a piece of paper, or a tree, or something.

It's how, if you want to obtain something, you need something of equal value.

But the old guy up there is disregarding that.

It's like I've been saying, they're miracles! Can you bring about such a miracle using alchemy? And Cain will soon be The Elric Brothers? I heard that the older brother received the title of State Alchemist when he was twelve.

"The Fullmetal Alchemist," he's called.

That little brat!? He's a dog of the m*llitary.

The m*llitary has cast their gaze upon our bountiful town here, and plans to intervene.

The people my children must be saved.

Cray I will carry out the will of God.

I am grateful to you for bringing this to my attention.

Just having that boy here is troubling, huh? There is still one other way, just in case.

Just by serving God so dutifully, someone who is dead will come back to life at some point? Yes, absolutely.

Water - 35 liters; carbon - 20 kilograms; ammonia - 4 liters; lime - 1.

5 kilograms; phosphorus - 800 grams; salt - 250 grams, saltpeter - 100 grams; sulfur - 80 grams; fluorine - 7.

5 grams; iron - 5 grams; silicon - 3 grams; and a small amount of 15 other elements.

What's that? That is the material makeup of a single average adult human body, if you were to calculate it.

Even though, through science, we are able to know this much, there has never been a successful reported case of anyone actually transmuting a human body.

Scientists have been researching what it is that is missing for several centuries now.

Their efforts are more worthwhile than just praying and waiting around, wouldn't you say? By the way all of these ingredients can be bought at the market with the spare change any child might have.

Humans can be made for cheap, you see.

People aren't things! Would you blaspheme God!? Alchemists are scientists.

so God is something ambiguous, that we don't believe in.

It's ironic, since we're the ones who are closest to being gods.

You are not a god! The sun isn't a god either.

It's just a very hot mass of stuff.

If you get too close to the sun, all you do is burn up.

Geez, Brother, you're just getting Rose upset at you.

Don't worry.

Your brother will be coming with you soon.

Disciple Cray! What are you doing!? They are the enemies of God! All of this is God's will! Ah, you startled me! My head! Strike! What's going on here!? His head! It's nothing.

This is how I am.

There's nothing inside him! You could call this the punishment I got for setting foot on holy ground, which as a person, I should never have encroached upon.

Both me and my brother.

Rose! It's true! It's just like the Minister said! Those two are enemies of God! No one ever told us about this place.

Rose! How good of you to bring them here, Rose.

A State Alchemist, huh? I had a feeling you would come here sooner or later.

Is that because you're a swindler who deceives his believers? Or instead Is it because you possess the Philosopher's Stone? You mean this? Transmuting without drawing any transmutation circles, while disregarding the Law of Equivalent Exchange There could be only one answer.

Quite so.

The enchanted sorcery amplifier, said to exist only in legend.

The Philosopher's Stone! I've been hunting for that.

I'll come to the point.

Hand over the Philosopher's Stone.

Do that, and I won't say a thing to the people in town.

You mean to deprive me of this? If my miraculous works cease, what would happen to this town? Right, Rose? Rose! That guy is just a third-rate con man! I returned life to this town, just as it was about to crumble from internal strife.

I created water, turned it into wine, built buildings, and even gave money to the people.

I am the representative of God! Do you intend to deprive the people of this city of their God? Is that how absolute the orders of the m*llitary are? I don't care about any m*llitary orders! What? I need We need that thing! Why? Why, even knowing it will rob us of hope, are you still after it? Rose, we're going to It's no use.

Now then, why don't we have a look at the power of the Philosopher's Stone? Al! Your armor has turned against you, huh? You can't very well draw a transmutation circle in that sand, either.

Using the Philosopher's Stone, you synthesized a kindred life form? Yes, a Chimera! It looks like taking him on barehanded is going to be tough! What!? You transmuted without using a transmutation circle!? Go get him! How do you like that!? What do you call that? You're not getting away! What's the matter, you p*ssy bastard? Get yourself a good taste! Gluttony, that boy I-Impossible! How could his claws not tear through your leg? Or his fangs crush your arm!? Don't tell me you're? Yeah, that's right.

Rose, take a good look.

This is the body of one who performs a human transmutation of one who encroaches upon God or whoever's territory This is what happens to such transgressor! A mechanical arm and leg? Automail? You performed human transmutation!? You have committed that which is most sanctioned! You've had your bodies taken over to the other side! If you get too close to the sun, all you do is burn up.

So this is why you have the title "Fullmetal"! The Fullmetal Alchemist! Fullmetal Alchemist! Episode 2: "Body of the Sanctioned" A false Philosopher's Stone it is sure to bring with it false peace and false promises.

However, the tears it brings are not false.