02x16 - Code Red

Complete collection of episode transcripts for seasons 1 - 7. Aired: September 2008 to February 2015.*

Moderator: Maggiemay19

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A famous "psychic" outs himself as a fake and starts working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation so he can find "Red John," the madman who k*lled his wife and daughter.

02x16 - Code Red

Post by bunniefuu »

Zitek Biosystems Facility. Los Corrados, California

A woman in a white coat goes into the building, enters a secure lab. She opens a steel box and inside are 5 vials, the sixth is missing. She looks everywhere, the vial is uncapped and she is scared.

Two men enter the lab, one in a white coat and the second in a suit.

Man in Coat: I daresay you've inspected more modern facilities in your travels, but, uh

Woman in Coat: Griffin... Don't come in here.

Man in Coat: Dr. Seberg, what's wrong? Oh, my God.

CBI. - Lisbon's office

(Jane, Lisbon, Rigsby)

(Jane enters the office)

Jane: Hey.

Lisbon (working at his computer): Hey.

Jane: Cheer up.

Lisbon: Why?

Jane: Uh, 'cause it's better to be happy than sad.

Lisbon: I'm not sad.

Jane: You're very sad. You've been sad for months, ever since, uh

Lisbon: What, is this some sort of therapy session? Did you bring tissue in case you make me cry?

Jane: There we go. Zing of anger— gets the blood up. That's a good start.

Lisbon: Is this what you came here for, to zing me? Because I've got paperwork to do.

Rigsby (motions him into the office): Jane, call for you. They say it's extremely urgent. Line two.

Jane: Ooh... (he picks up the phone) This is Jane.

Woman in Coat: Good morning, Mr. Jane. My name is Dr. Alicia Seberg. I gather from a brief search on the internet that you're the best Detective in my immediate vicinity.

Jane: Oh. Well, um... you flatter me, but, uh, I'm not actually a detective.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: I need your professional assistance. Please come immediately. I've been m*rder*d.

Credits

Outdoors day.

A helicopter flies over a building, there is a parking lot.

(Jane, Lisbon, Dean Harken, Scott Price)

(Jane and Lisbon get out of the helicopter)

Jane (excited): Whoo! That was fun! Whoo!

Lisbon: Agent Lisbon! CBI!

Man: Ma'am, sir, please follow me.

Jane: All right!

Man in a dark suit: Agent Lisbon. (to Jane) And you are...

Jane: I'm this guy, (he shows his card to the man) Patrick Jane. Consultant

Man in a dark suit: Okay, Teresa, Patrick, glad to meet you both. I'm Dean Harken, California Disease Control Authority.

Lisbon: Nice to meet you.

Dean Harken: Yeah, we have a potential code red virus outbreak situation here. This facility is under C. D.C. A. Control, as per state emergency protocols. Thousands of people might die if we don't get this right, okay?

Lisbon: We've been apprised of the basic...

Dean Harken: Now she's denying it, of course, but this situation's almost certainly resulted from an error by Dr. Seberg. There's no criminality involved, so you're not really needed here.

Lisbon: Probably but we're gonna have

Dean Harken: As a professional courtesy, I'm gonna let you into the facility. I'm happy for you guys to observe and gather evidence, as long as you remember that C. D.C. A. Is big dog here. Our investigation has priority. Now are we cool with that?

Lisbon: Absolutely.

Jane: Can I see your I. D. Also?

Dean Harken: Sure.

Jane: Thank you... Dean. No picture. That's a shame. You're a good-looking man.

Scott Price: Scott Price, I manage this facility for Zitek Biosystems division. Right off the bat, let me assure you that we as a company are 110% committed to giving you the best possible cooperation.

Lisbon: Thank you, Mr. Price. Shall we? There's a sense of urgency here.

Scott Price: Ah, yes, of course.

(they head to a building, a walkway)

Dean Harken: Lisbon, Jane, Dr. Edmunds, head of research here. He'll take you to the release incident. Price, come with me.

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: Thank you for coming so quickly.

Lisbon: What exactly is it that you do here?

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: Biowarfare. With modern technology, anthr*x, botulism, bubonic plague, even cobra venom all he strong weaponizing potential. It's a growing field. A lot of exciting developments.

Jane: You develop ways of k*lling people in large numbers.

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: To the contrary. We develop antidotes, ways to combat the things that k*ll large numbers of people. (he puts his eye to a scanner, that opens a door to the lab) Here we are. Follow me.

(They enter the lab where Alicia Seberg is)

Dr. Alicia Seberg: 120. Darling. Is this Mr. Jane?

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: Yes. How are you feeling?

Dr. Alicia Seberg: The same.

Man in a white coat: Interesting improvement in cardiac rate, though.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: My metabolism's trying to fight back with adrenaline. Good morning, Mr. Jane.

Jane: Hi.

Lisbon: Agent Lisbon, CBI. You mind running this down for us?

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Someone opened this flask and left it under the t*nk. It contains an airborne form of cryptohansa b strain. It's an engineered supervirus. If it escaped from this room, it would k*ll every vertebrate creature within a quarter-mile radius. It att*cks the red blood cells, gradually stops them from delivering oxygen. The victim... dies from suffocation or a heart att*ck, depending on their physical condition. We estimate anywhere from two to six hours.

Jane: So you could die at any time?

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Yes.

Jane: Harken says you did this yourself, tragic error.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: He's a bureaucrat. He's looking for the easy answer. It takes four distinct steps to remove a cap from one of these flasks, and we never open a flask outside of the t*nk. That's just basic. I can assure you both, I had nothing to do with this. But this was no mistake. Whoever did this wanted me dead. Everybody knows I take the first shift.

Jane: She called you "darling." You both have wedding bands. You husband and wife?

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: Yes.

Jane: Well, she looks surprised because you seem incredibly calm and cool for a man whose wife is dying.

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: How would an absence of calm and cool be useful to her?

Jane: Good point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the k*ller to open the flask, they would have to expose themselves to the virus, which case, they would be dying or possibly dead already.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: No, there's an antidote. It's an enzyme compound. If taken before exposure, it prevents infection. I assume whoever did this took a dose.

Lisbon: Couldn't you j...

Dr. Alicia Seberg: No, I can't take it now. The antidote only works if taken before exposure, as I said.

Lisbon: Why didn't you take it before, just as a precaution?

Dr. Alicia Seberg: The side effects of regular use are far too severe.

Lisbon: Who else had access to the virus flask?

Dr. Alicia Seberg: The only people allowed in the lab are Cliff and I, Welks, Nash and Tripp, our colleagues. We have a state-of-the-art biometric security system, as you can see.

Jane: So your husband or one of the three colleagues is the k*ller... Sorry. Uh, will be the k*ller.

Lisbon: Jane.

Jane: I'm just... Mm.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: That's all right. That is the unavoidable conclusion. Yes.

Lisbon: Where are the other three now?

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: Harken is having them fill out an accident report.

Lisbon: We're gonna need to speak to them.

In the Zitek corridors

(Jane, Lisbon)

Jane: Ooh, this is a good one, eh?

Lisbon: Good?

Jane: Well, interesting. Unique.

Lisbon: If you're a jaded, ghoulish adventure seeker.

Jane: Ghoulish? Listen, if people are gonna k*ll each other and we have to catch them, I would much rather they go about it with some kind of originality.

(Lisbon makes a call)

In the CBI team office.

(Van Pelt, Cho, Rigsby)

Van Pelt: Boss?

Lisbon: Hey, Van Pelt. I need you to do background checks on Cliff Edmunds... Lilith Nash, Griffin Latimer Welks, Florian Eric Tripp. I'm sending you their details now.

Rigsby: Anything to be looking out for in particular?

Oh, uh, one of them released a lethal supervirus. That could k*ll half the state of California, so I guess we're looking for someone with a prior background as an evil supervillain.

Cho: Okay.

Lisbon: That last part was a joke.

Cho: Yeah, we get it.

Lisbon: Later.

In a Zitec meeting room

(Jane, Lisbon, Dean Harken, Florian Eric Tripp, Lilith Nash, Griffin Latimer)

(Two men and a woman in a white gown complete a form seated at a conference table, Jane moves around the table)

Jane: Hello.

The three together: Hi. Hello. Hello.

Griffin Latimer: What are you doin'?

Jane: What does it look like I'm doing?

Griffin Latimer: Trying to make us nervous?

Jane: Correct. How am I doing?

Griffin Latimer: Doing well.

Jane: Excellent.

Griffin Latimer: But why?

Lisbon: One of you three m*rder*d Alicia Seberg, or her husband did. It's our job to find out who.

Jane: And we're in a hurry, and nervous people are easy to read.

Florian Eric Tripp: And what do you gather from all this reading?

Jane: Well, you're an open book. You're exactly what you seem to be... a straight arrow, a boy scout. Am I right?

Florian Eric Tripp: No.

Jane: I'm wrong. There's a hidden side to you.

Florian Eric Tripp: Yes, but...

Jane: What are you hiding?

Florian Eric Tripp: Nothing.

Jane: What is he hiding, Lilith?

Florian Eric Tripp: I don't know.

Jane: What are you hidi?

Lilith Nash: I, I'm not...

Jane: It was you, wasn't it?

Griffin Latimer: Me what?

Jane: You were having an affair with Alicia Seberg.

Griffin Latimer: What? No, not with me.

Jane: Not with you. With who, then?

Griffin Latimer:: I oversee equipment and inventory, not my colleagues' private lives.

Jane: But she was having an affair, huh? Why else would a husband have the motives to k*ll her? And if it wasn't her husband, it was one of you. Who was it? My guess... Kaseem. (Florian was writing notes abruptly raises his head) Yes!

Lisbon: Does her husband know?

Florian Eric Tripp: Oh, he knows.

Lilith Nash: Dr. Edmunds a kind, gentle man. He couldn't have done this.

Jane: Thank you, Lilith, Florian... Griffin.

(Jane and Lisbon go back into the lab where Alicia Seberg, Isabel Seberg are)

(Jane, Lisbon, Dr. Alicia Seberg, Dr. Cliff Edmunds, Dr. Jason Kaseem)

Jane: Why didn't you tell us you were having an affair with Dr. Kaseem here?

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Because it isn't relevant.

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: Yeah, we have an honest and open marriage.

Dr. Jason Kaseem: They do.

Lisbon: Really? You don't mind?

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: No, I don't mind at all. Fidelity is sily a cultural convention.

Jane: Like clothes and not k*lling people.

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: You could say so.

Lisbon: Come on. It must bug you a little.

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: No. We love each other. Her hainess is mine. It's not like I don't have affairs myself.

Lisbon: Are you having an affair presently?

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: No. I've been far too busy.

Lisbon: Y, you must think this is a little weird.

Dr. Jason Kaseem: Uh... yeah... at first. But hey.

Jane: But hey. What an eloquent phrase that is.

(Alicia Seberg's computer makes sounds)

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Oh! Isabel. Thank God.

Isabel Seberg(the face of a teenager in tears appears on the screen): Mom? Mom, I got dad's message. Is it true?

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Yes, it's true.

Isabel Seberg: No. No, no, it can't be!

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Oh, this is a pickle, isn't it? Oh, baby, don't cry. Don't cry.

Isabel Seberg: How can you tell me not to cry? Of course I'm going to cry. Is there something you can do? There has to be something!

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Listen to me. We don't have much time, so we mustn't waste it weeping and wailing, okay?

Isabel Seberg: Okay.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Good. How's school going? Did you get your calculus grade up?

Isabel Seberg: I got a 95 on my last test.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Oh, well done. You keep that up. A... and what about that boy, Andy? How's that going?

Isabel Seberg: Oh, he's a jerk. I don't see him anymore.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Well, I must say, I'm glad to hear that. I didn't like the sound of him. (swallows) I love you so much. You're the best thing I ever did. And I am so... Proud of you.

Isabel Seberg: Mom.

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Shh, shh, shh! When I'm gone, you mustn't waste time being sad. A little while is okay, but not too long. You be brave. And be happy. Bye, baby.

Isabel Seberg: Mom! Mom!

Dr. Alicia Seberg: Bye, baby.

Isabel Seberg: No, mom!

Dr. Alicia Seberg (to her husband): Good-bye, my love.

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: I love you, darling. Good-bye.

(she collapses)

Dr. Cliff Edmunds (to daughter): She's gone, baby. She's gone.

(Jane seated in a chair, Lisbon standing, Dr. Cliff Edmunds standing behind the lab window, looks at the body of his wife. Harken Dean enters the lab)

Dean Harken: She's dead?

Lisbon: Yes.

Dean Harken (to Cliff Edmunds): I'm, uh... I'm sorry for your loss. My people and I will get prepped for the decontamination procedure.

Lisbon: How does that work?

Dr. Cliff Edmunds: It's a low-intensity micro-radiation bath built in for this eventuality. The chamber is irradiated. The virus is destroyed. Alicia's body's not harmed.

Lisbon: How long until we can examine the crime scene?

Dean Harken (to Lisbon): Whoa. It's not a crime scene until you know there's a crime, right? Well, you don't know there's been a m*rder here. Where's your evidence?

Lisbon: Alicia's Seberg's word.

Jane: Why would she lie?

Dean Harken (to Jane): She had a brain freeze. She screwed up, and she can't admit the fact. It happens. I've been working this b*at for a long time. I've seen the same denial, same certainty. It's human nature.

Lisbon: I disagree. I believe her. I'm calling this in as a homicide. And I'm sorry if this complicates your work, but it's my job.

Dean Harken: That's fine. Okay. Doing your job. But this is still a live outbreak, and I'm in charge here. You wanna make a m*rder case, we'll deal with the suspects as per C. D.C. A. Protocols.

Lisbon: Absolutely.

(Harken leaves the lab)

CBI - the team's office

(Van Pelt, Rigsby)

Van Pelt (behind his computer): Until the summer of '08, Seberg, Edmunds, Nash and Tripp all worked together at the Northern California Technology Institute Biochemistry department. Seberg and Edmunds left abruptly... some kind of legal dispute.

Rigsby: Okay, Cho and I will check it out. (he leaves)

Zitek Meeting Room

(Dean Harken, Florian Eric Tripp, Lisbon, Jane)

(Harken completes a questionnaire questioning Tripp, Jane and Lisbon are standing at the end of the table)

Dean Harken: Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?

Florian Eric Tripp: No.

Dean Harken: Are you now or have you ever been a member of a t*rror1st organization?

Florian Eric Tripp: This is ridiculous.

Jane: This is ridiculous.

Lisbon: Just let it go.

Dean Harken (to Jane and Lisbon): Let's have some quiet back there, huh? Now, Mr. Tripp, please

Jane: Why?

Dean Harken: Why?

Jane: What difference does our silence make? Silent or not, you're still wasting everybody's time with this nonsense.

Dean Harken (se leve and s'approche rapidement de Jane): You guys called this homicide, so now we have to run the paperwork. That's how it works.

Jane: Still a waste of time.

Dean Harken: I thought I made the deal clear to you guys. You really wanna mess with the C. D.C. A.?

Lisbon: Absolutely not. I apologize for my colleague's rudeness...

Jane: No, she doesn't. I retract that apology. Show some mettle, Lisbon. You know as well as I do, if I have ten minutes with these people, I will get the truth, if there's any useful truth worth having.

Lisbon: Excuse us.

Jane: Yes, excuse us. We have to have a chat.

(Lisbon entraine Jane dans une salle attenante)

Lisbon: Cool it, all right? That is an order.

Jane: Okay. Just relax. I'm working the case.

Lisbon: Let me explain something to you.

Jane: Mm-hmm.

Lisbon: This is politics. The C. D.C. A. is rich, mean and well connected. The CBI in comparison are like poor orphans. We can't make enemies out of them. We need to cooperate with this man.

Jane: He irks me.

Lisbon: Say it. "I understand."

Jane: Hmm.

Lisbon: Go. Find yourself a vending machine. Buy yourself a candy bar and come back when you're ready to play nice.

Jane: Give me a dollar and I will.

Lisbon (she angrily put a note in Jane's hand): You're paying me back.

(They both return to the meeting rooom and Jane only passes through.)

Lisbon (to Harken): Carry on.

Ext. Daytime. Northern California Technology Institute.

(Cho, Rigsby, Professor Green)

(In the University corridors.)

Professor Green: Oh, my lord. That's terrible. And you suspect foul play of some kind?

Cho: Uh, professor, Dr. Seberg and her husband worked here at the institute until '08, as did Florian Tripp and Lilith Nash. Is that correct?

Professor Green: Yes. Brilliant research team. We were very sorry to lose them. Money, you know? We tried to hold them to their contract, but Zitek threatened a lawsuit, so they left rather under a cloud.

Rigsby: But Edmunds and Seberg as a couple, did they get along?

Professor Green: Oh, I think so, despite all.

Rigsby: Despite all what?

Professor Green: Well, uh, I don't like to listen to that sort of gossip, but, uh, one hears things.

Cho: Like?

Professor Green: Edmunds was quite the ladies' man.

Rigsby: He had affairs.

Professor Green: So I gather. Quite the drama sometimes.

Cho: Drama of what type?

Professor Green: Fireworks, as it were, you know. But as I say, I don't pay attention.

Rigsby: Anybody you know who did... pay attention?

Professor Green: Ah, I believe one of our grad students in the astrophysics department was, uh, involved.

Cho: Name?

Professor Green: Greta Skye.

Zitek. Lab with deceased Dr. Alicia Seberg

(decontamination of the body)

(Jane, a technician in a white suit)

Jane (a chocolate bar in hand): How long does this decontamination take?

Technician: Another hour.

Jane: Hmm. (opens a cabinet labelled "BIOHAZARD")

Technician: Don't touch that, please.

Jane: This is a m*rder investigation. I can touch what I want. You have a problem with that?

Technician: There's dangerous stuff in here, that's all.

(Jane looks inside the cabinet, closes it, walks through the lab)

Jane: I like what they're doing these days. They're making regular candy bars, only with dark chocolate. You tried that?

Technician: No.

Jane: You... you want a bite?

Technician: No, thank you.

Jane: All right. Hmm. really good.

(He sees Alicia Seberg still on the computer screen, Isabel cries)

Jane: Hi. Can you hear me? Isabel, right?

Isabel Seberg: Who are you?

Jane: My name's Patrick Jane. I'm here to find out who k*lled your mother.

Isabel Seberg: Good. k*ll them, please.

Jane: Oh, I wish I was allowed to do that. You know, you should probably step away from your computer. Do you have any friends nearby?

Isabel Seberg: I wanna be with my mother.

Jane: Yeah. I'm sorry for your loss. Do you have a candy bar around at all?

Isabel Seberg: What?

Jane: Well, we were just talking chocolate, and it occurred to me that chocolate would be good for you. All that emotion... it wipes you out. And sugar's good for energy.

Isabel Seberg: My mother is dead.

Jane: Chocolate and grief is a good combination. You should try it. It'll taste so much... Deeper, more intense. Everything will feel that way for a while. You'll feel more alive. You should probably try to hang on to that feeling as long as you can. It's a gift.

Isabel Seberg: I guess.

Jane: I want you to do something for me now, Isabel. I want you to please turn off your computer and go and tell a friend what's happened. You do that now.

(Isabel turns off the computer)

(Jane reprend son exploration du labo sous l'oeil quelque peu inquiet du Technician. Il approche de l'eyescan)

(Jane looks over the lab, somewhat concerned about the Technician. He approaches the eyescanner.)

Jane: Open sesame. (the eyescanner recognises Jane, the lab door opens. Jane falls, the Technician closes the door) Whoa! That wasn't meant to happen, was it? Uh-oh.

(Jane quickly exits the lab)

Zitek Meeting Room

(Dean Harken, Lilith Nash, Lisbon, Jane)

Dean Harken: Do you have an advanced degree in any of the physical sciences?

Lilith Nash: Yes.

Jane (fait irruption dans la salle): Excuse me. Uh... Sorry to interrupt. We need to expand the pool of suspects.

Zitek. Lab with deceased Dr. Alicia Seberg

(Jane, Lisbon, Dean Harken, Technician)

Jane: The tricky little high-tech scanners let anyone in.

Dean Harken: That's nonsense.

Jane: Try it.

Dean Harken: I'll be damned.

Jane: See? Same with that door. Anyone at this facility could've gotten to those little virus thingies... anyone.

Lisbon: Who's responsible for the operation of the security scanners?

Zitek corridors

(Lisbon, Jane, Dean Harken, Scott Price)

Scott Price: I have no idea. How that could happen. That's outrageous.

Dean Harken: It's your job to oversee the security systems here, isn't it?

Scott Price: Not the technical aspects, obviously. That's contracted out, but I'll get right on 'em, give 'em a piece of my mind, believe you me.

Jane: You're showing us your palms. It's a supplicant gesture, suggesting a guilty conscience.

Scott Price (Jane makes the same gestures to Scott): That... that's not valid or relevant. I'm... I'm simply stating the facts. I have no idea why the security system doesn't work.

Dean Harken: The man's right. You're not real convincing.

Scott Price: I regret that's your opinion, but I, I have no control over that.

Dean Harken: Mr. Price, you're under arrest.

Scott Price: For what?

Dean Harken: Let's see. For one, the m*rder of Alicia Seberg.

Scott Price: That's absurd.

Lisbon: And frankly, not your call.

Dean Harken: Oh, is that right?

Lisbon: Yeah, this homicide investigation is ours.

(while Lisbon and Harken argue, Scott Price moves away from the group)

Dean Harken: If we can't get along, I'll call my friends at the FBI, get them to take over from you. In fact, I will do that. I'm sorry, little lady...

Jane: Maybe you should step back... May, maybe I was right about the supplicant palm gesture. (Lisbon and Harken courent afin de rattraper Price qui a pris la fuite) Yep.

(Price monte dans sa voiture, démarre, défonce une barriere, passe plusieurs postes de surveillance a grande vitesse, pour finalement etre stoppé par une voiture)

(Price gets into his car, starts, speeds off, only to be stopped by a car)

Zitek Meeting Room

(Scott Price, Dean Harken, Lisbon, Jane)

Scott Price: I... I wanna talk to my lawyer.

Lisbon: You have that right, but if it doesn't...

Dean Harken: Have you ever sat in the back of a m*llitary aircraft with a black hood over your head?

Scott Price: Uh... No.

Dean Harken: Well, then you got a new experience comin', because that is where this is goin' unless you start talkin' right about now!

Lisbon: Um... Look...

Dean Harken: Quiet. (to Scott Price) Please.

Scott Price: The contractor screwed up. The software glitches constantly, So... they're fixing it. Meanwhile, the system's down... Temporarily. Nobody knew the system was down, so in a way, it worked just as if it was up and running... In a way.

Lisbon: How long was it down for?

Scott Price: Two... Months.

Dean Harken: Two months? Anyone at all could enter the lab... t*rrorists, crazies, thieves. Have you any idea how much trouble you're in?

Jane: Thieves? People wanna steal germs?

Dean Harken: Cryptohansa b strain is a... is a must-have research tool. It's hard to make. It's worth $300,000 a gram in the black market.

Jane: Wow.

Dean Harken: Isn't that right, Price? And you left the cupboard door wide open. You are yea deep in trouble, pal. You think about your situation for a while. Okay? And we'll talk again. (Dean Harken leaves the room. Jane looks at Price, rises, pats Price on the shoulder, Lisbon and Jane go out of the room)

Zitek Corridors

(Lisbon, Jane, Dean Harken)

Jane (to Harken): You know he didn't k*ll Alicia Seberg. You just like scaring people, right?

Dean Harken: Hey, if there was a m*rder here, I think he's a very good suspect.

Jane: Why? He has no interest in her death. It could only lead to discovery of the security breakdown.

Dean Harken: We'll see if he had any other motives.

Jane: The salient pot here is that anyone could have gotten to those flasks, not just Price. Kaseem could have, for instance, or you could have. You were already here, weren't you? For an inventory check? What time did you get here, exactly? The night before, right?

Dean Harken: You remind me. I was goa call the FBI, replace you people.

Lisbon: And I was gonna tell you that's not your call. We're here on the direct say-so of the A. G. Call him. Tell him we're off the case. See what he says.

Dean Harken: I might do that. We'll see how it goes, shall we? It's time to open the biohazard chamber.

Jane: Oh, that sounds fun, opening the biohazard chamber.

In the lab

(Lisbon, Jane, Dean Harken, Technician)

(le Technician sort la valisette de métal ayant contenu les flasques de Cryptohansa b, la dépose sur une table)
(The Technician places the case containing the Cryptohansa b, on a table)

Jane: Shouldn't we be wearing masks or something?

Dean Harken: No virus could possibly survive the radiation bath. The virus inside the flasks are still alive, of course. But the flasks are unbreakable. There's no danger. (Harken opens the case) Five flasks intact. Let's get these babies back in deep freeze.

(The Technician gets rid of the case into a cupboard)

Dean Harken: Okay. We're copacetic.

Lisbon: Let's send Alicia Seberg on her way.

Dean Harken (to Cliff Edmunds who enters the lab): Doctor, this is a crime scene now. You can't...

Lisbon: Let him stay.

Northern California Technology Institute corridors

(Cho, Rigsby, Greta Skye)

Greta Skye: Oh, my God. Oh, my God.

Cho: And, Greta, you had a sexual relationship with Cliff Edmunds, the victim's husband, is that right?

Greta Skye: No. I mean, yes. It wasn't... well, yes, I did. But I didn't. You don't think I had something to do with k*lling her?

Rigsby: No, ma'am, we're just looking for insight into their relationship.

Greta Skye: You think Cliff k*lled her.

Rigsby: Is he the jealous type?

Greta Skye: Not at all.

Rigsby: Did he ever show v*olence to you?

Greta Skye: No, no. Cliff is a very gentle soul, really. And Alicia's such a cool person.

Cho: We heard there was trouble.

Greta Skye: No. Well... There was one incident, but it had nothing to do with Cliff or Alicia, really.

Cho: Please continue.

Greta Skye: We'd been seeing each other for a while. Somebody left a note for me, pushed under by door in the middle of the night. Basically, it said I was a whore and I should stay away from Cliff. It was very ugly. It was anonymous, of course.

Cho: Who do you think sent the note?

Greta Skye: I thought at first it was Alicia Seberg, naturally. But it turns out she wasn't even in the country. On the night in question.

Rigsby: Who's your next best guess

Greta Skye: Um, the one time I went to see Cliff at work, there was a lab assistant. She gave me this glare like a death ray, and I thought maybe it was her.

Cho: What's her name?

Greta Skye: Lilith Nash.

Zitek livingroom

(Lisbon, Jane, Van Pelt)

Jane: The question is why now? What was it that triggered the k*lling? What changed?

Lisbon: What's the answer?

Jane: Well, for one thing, Harken showed up.

Lisbon: You think Harken did this?

Jane: Ooh, I'd like that. But what's his motive?

Lisbon (answeing the phone): Van Pelt.

Van Pelt (in his office at the CBI): Boss, Cho and Rigsby found an ex-lover of the vic's husband. She thinks Lilith Nash sent her a menacing note.

Lisbon: Interesting. (she puts the speaker on so that Jane can hear)

Van Pelt: So I dug deeper. Nash is clean under her current name but had a brief marriage in Canada in '96, '97. Under that name, Lilith Blaum, in '99, still in Canada, she had a restraining order taken out against her by her ex-husband and subsequently spent four months in a secure Mental Institute.

Jane: Well, that could happen to anyone. Uh, Van Pelt, could you do me a favor? Could you call Cho and Rigsby and have them get out here as quick as possible?

Lisbon: Why?

Jane: I got a hunch we're gonna need'em.

Van Pelt: Okay.

Lisbon: Thank you.

Van Pelt: Will do.

Lisbon: Let's go talk to Nash.

Jane: Meh.

Lisbon: What? I think she's good for it.

Jane: Ah, she's nuts. She's got a nutty little secret crush on the boss, kills the wife.

Lisbon: Something like that.

Jane: She did seem nervous, but why k*ll now? And why would she use the virus?

Lisbon: I don't know. Let's go and ask her.

Jane: Ugh, if you want to.

Lisbon: You know, you're just resisting Nash because you didn't peg her right away as the one.

Jane: No, I'm resisting Nash because, uh, she isn't the one. But if you wanna go talk to her, let's go talk to her. But whatever you do, do not tell Harken.

Lisbon: Why not? It's procedure.

Jane: Fig for procedure. He'll stomp all over her she'll clam up you'll get nothing but a waste of time.

Lisbon: I'm telling Harken.

Jane: Okay.

A Zitek Office

(Lisbon, Jane, Lilith Nash)

(Jane enters an office, seated are: Cliff Edmunds, Griffin Welks, Florian Eric Tripp)

Jane: Nash, come with me. Now. (ils entrent dans une piece) Stand there. Listen closely and please tell the truth. Is there a way out of here that avoids the main gates? A back way out?

Jane: Where?

Lilith Nash: Walk a mile north. There's a culvert that goes under the fence. Halfway along the northeast property line.

Jane: Excellent. Now... Tell the truth. Did you ever go by the name Lilith Blaum?

Jane: Did you spend time in a mental asylum?

Jane: Do you have a secret crush on Cliff Edmunds?

Jane: Did you k*ll Alicia Seberg?

Lilith Nash: No.

Jane: I believe you, but I know how Harken's thoughts run. A way to blame you will be found. I repeat. I know how Harken's thoughts run. A way to blame you will be found. Do you hear me?

Jane: Excellent. (Jane leaves the room) Go.

(Jane returns to the office where the three scientists wait)

Jane: Did Lilith Nash come back in here?

Cliff Edmunds: No.

Jane: Uh, that's odd.

Dean Harken: Where's Lilith Nash?

Cliff Edmunds: Uh, she left with...

Jane: You don't need to worry about her. She's not guilty.

Dean Harken: And how do you know that?

Jane: Because I asked her. She told me.

Dean Harken: Uh-huh. And where is she now?

Jane: Um... I don't know.

Dean Harken (speaking into his jacket): Security.

Ext. night, armed men running in all directions in search of Lilith Nash.

Int. Zitek building

(Dean Harken, Jane, Lisbon)

(in the corridors)

Dean Harken: She's not in her room. She's nowhere to be found.

Jane: Oh, you people are overreacting. I'm sure she's no danger.

Dean Harken: She's mentally unstable and probably a k*ller, but you're sure she's no danger. Well, that's reassuring.

Jane: Well, even if she is those things, and I don't say that she is, then she's done her worst already.

A man in a suit (calls Harken): Mr. Harken! We have a code red.

Jane: What's a code red?

Dean Harken: What? No.

(they follow, arrive in a rest room, a bottle of virus is open on a table)

Lisbon: Oh, no.

Jane: Ohh.

(Next to the vial, a note: "I am sorry"

Cliff Edmunds: Anyone within a quarter-mile radius of this flask is gonna be dead within the next four to six hours.

Dean Harken: But I put the flasks in the safe.

Lisbon: She must have gotten into the safe somehow.

(Lisbon, Harken, Edmunds leave quickly)

Jane: W... h-how is that possible? (he follows the group which has just left)

In Alicia Seberg's lab

(Dean Harken, Jane, Lisbon, Cliff Edmunds, the Technician)

(Harken gets out the case containing the remaining flasks of virus. As Harken raises the lid of the carrying case, Jane smashes a flask.)

Jane: What was that?

Lisbon: A beaker fell.

Cliff Edmunds: What?

Dean Harken: There's only one missing. That's a relief, anyhow. But how did she do it?

Lisbon: Never mind how. She's done it. What do we do now?

Cliff Edmunds: Well, there's nothing we can do. In the next four hours, we'll all be dead.

Lisbon (Lisbon entraine Jane un peu a l'écart du groupe): Tell me the truth. This is a trick right?

Jane: No. Why would I do something like that? What would be the point?

Lisbon: Swear on your child's grave.

Jane: You know I don't do that, not for anything.

Lisbon: Oh, my God.

Staff gather in the Zitek corridors

Man: This is a drill, right?

Cliff Edmunds: Uh, this is not a drill. This is... this is the real thing. I'm sorry.

Dean Harken: Listen up. We have a few hours left. But we'll keep this virus contained here. Nobody leaves this facility.

Man: And then what? We get buried in the desert?

Dean Harken: The air force will drop incendiary bombs on the facility, burn the virus out. Your next of kin will be informed. Like I say, we have a few hours left, so we all should make our arrangements and say our prayers as best we can. Make your phone calls. May God have mercy on our souls.

(People are panicking, some want out, they are prevented by security, crying, screaming ...)

A road at night, a phone rings.

(Cho, Rigsby, Lisbon, Jane)

Cho (responding to the call): Hey, boss. We're about five minutes from your location.

Lisbon: Cho, listen. Jane and I have been exposed to the virus, and it looks like we might die soon.

Cho: Okay.

Lisbon: So I wanna thank you and Rigsby and Van Pelt. It's been an honor working with you. I need you to call my brother Tommy. His number is in my desk diary. It's under Town and Country Electrical. Tell him that I love him and that I forgive him for whatever and that, um, he needs to make peace with his brothers. It's my last dying wish. You tell him that.

Cho: Will do.

Lisbon: Okay.

Cho: Good-bye.

Jane: Uh, wait. I... I wanted to talk to them also.

Lisbon: Sorry.

Jane: It's all right. (Lisbon gives him her phone) That's a fine farewell. I feared that you'd become tearful and incoherent, but no. Succinct. Noble. Bravo.

Lisbon: Uh-huh. Don't you have anybody you wanna call besides Cho and Rigsby?

Jane: No. And if were dying, I'd wanna call you, but... You're already here. So there's no need.

Lisbon: Me?

Jane: Hmm?

Lisbon: Hmm? What would you say?

Jane: Uh...

Lisbon: Wait... wait a minute. If? If I was dying?

Jane: Yeah, you're not really dying. I wrote a label and put it on an empty flask, and then I convinced poor Lilith Nash to run away. I feel kind of bad about it...

Lisbon: You son of a bitch. (Lisbon gets up and rushes towards Jane, furious)

Jane (phone at the same time): But just... just wait. Just please. Be still. Cho? This is Jane. Please disregard Lisbon's last message. I tricked her. My bad. Lisbon I'm so sorry. Are you at the culvert? Okay, good. Wait. There'll be some people coming your way soon. Bye.

Lisbon: You're sick. Why would you do this to me?

Jane: Two reasons... firstly, to catch the k*ller of Alicia Seberg, the k*ller who is not poor Lilith Nash. The k*ller who, you may recall, took a dose of the antidote in order to survive. Exposure to the virus. Yes?

Lisbon: Yes...

Jane: The k*ller who believes that he or she is the only one that isn't going to die. Yes?

Lisbon: Yes.

Jane: So they have to get out of here before we die, or else they'll be burnt to a crisp by the Air Force. Their hands are tied. They have to try to escape, thus revealing themselves to us with precision and clarity of a mathematical equation.

Lisbon: And reason number two?

Jane: The second and most important reason is doesn't it feel great to get your life back? Don't you feel good right now? Don't you feel happy to be alive?

Lisbon: No!

Jane: Oh, I know you do. You know you do.

Lisbon: If reason number one does not pan out very, very soon, I think I'm gonna punch you in the nose.

Jane: Forbearance, Lisbon. Any moment now, Harken is gonna come around that corner with an anxious expression on his face because someone has run off. Any moment now. Wait. Any moment.

Lisbon: Nothing.

Jane: If you just get... (Lisbon punches Jane on the nose) Ow! Ow! Ow. Whoo! (Dean Harken and a guard approach)That's what I'm talking 'bout.

Ext. night

Rigsby & Cho pacing in front of their car. On the back seat, Lilith Nash.

A few dozen meters from the Zitec fence, Griffin Welks emerges, awaited by Cho and Rigsby.

Rigsby: Hi.

Zitec building

(Dean Harken, Jane, Lisbon)

Dean Harken: Well, this was all a hoax?

Jane: Well, "hoax" is a little strong. Uh, more of a ruse, a gambit.

Lisbon: The important thing is we caught the k*ller. Right? That's what's important.

Jane: That's what's important. Griffin Welks, huh? Never would have caught him your way, and my way... cathartic and life-affirming.

Lisbon: You know what? You're on your own. (she leaves)

Jane: Okay, the important thing now is to be careful 'cause this is the real thing. (Jane gives Harken the flask he had taken) Okay? All right, let's get that back in the deep freeze. See you around, big dog. (Jane rushes off leaving a stunned Harken)

CBI interrogation room.

(Griffin Welks, Cho)

Griffin Welks: I was siphoning off small amounts of the virus matrix and selling it on the black market.

Cho: $300,000 a gram.

Griffin Welks: Yeah. Yeah, exactly. I'm in charge of keeping inventory, so it was easy, until Harken arrived to do a spot check, and I had to do something fast, so I spilled a flask to cover up the missing quantity.

Cho: Knowing full well Alicia Seberg would be exposed.

Griffin Welks: Someone had to be responsible. I figured everyone would think that she'd opened the flask by accident and couldn't admit to it, 'cause she was like that... couldn't be wrong.

Cho: I'm curious. The money you made from your theft... How'd you spend it?

Griffin Welks: I didn't. I have it in treasury bonds mostly, some real estate.

Cho: Mm-hmm, that's smart investing. You'll be the richest man in Folsom. (Cho leaves the room)

In front of CBI elevator.

(Jane, Lisbon)

Jane: Whew. Long day. Ooh. It's chilly around here. You still angry with me?

Lisbon: Duh.

Jane: Oh, confess. You do feel better. You feel much more alive. I know you do. (they both enter the elevator)

Lisbon: You know what made me feel better? Punching you in the nose.

Jane: Ah. Glad to be of service.

The end