02x19 - Blood Money

Complete collection of episode transcripts for seasons 1 - 7. Aired: September 2008 to February 2015.*

Moderator: Maggiemay19

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A famous "psychic" outs himself as a fake and starts working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation so he can find "Red John," the madman who k*lled his wife and daughter.

02x19 - Blood Money

Post by bunniefuu »

Old Town, Sacramento, California.

(Van Pelt, a man with a hood on his head)

In a very dark alley, Van Pelt comes out of a restaurant, someone observes a parked car. Man calls Van Pelt.

Hooded Man: Hey!

Van Pelt: Are you Mr. Black?

Mr. Black: Yeah.

Van Pelt: You scared me.

Mr. Black: Hum hum. Yeah.

Van Pelt: So... I just... (hands him an envelope, which he refuses to take)

Mr. Black: Tell me why I'm here.

Van Pelt: I have something I need done.

Mr. Black: So do most women. You're gonna have to be more specific.

Van Pelt: Right. Yes. Sorry.

Van Pelt: Um, what I need... I don't know quite how to put it.

Mr. Black: Well, you're just gonna have to open your mouth. And say it out loud in full detail. Like you're talking to your priest. You show me yours. I'll show you mine. That's how it works.

Van Pelt: Okay. Here. (She shows him a picture of Rigsby) I want you to k*ll him. How much do you charge?

Credits

(black screen)

"Thirty-six Hours Earlier"

Ext. Night. in a city street

(Lisbon arrive by car, Rigsby is expecting, many police cars)

Rigsby: We think she was k*lled about an hour ago. Neighbor heard screaming, called 911.

Lisbon: Anybody see anything?

Rigsby: We've got sac P.D.canvassing, but so far nothing. Just an average night.

Jane: Average night, average neighborhood, average m*rder. Why are we here?

(they enter a house, the police are already on site)

Lisbon: Because the victim is Assistant District Attorney Kelly Flower.

Jane: You worked with her.

Rigsby: Yeah, we all did. Kelly was good people.

Van Pelt: Forensics found a casing. Said it was 9-mil.

Rigsby: Almost point-blank, judging from the stippling. Deputy coroner said no sexual as*ault. But her nightgown's ripped and tangled.

Lisbon: She was crawling in it.

Jane: Remodel?

Lisbon: Kelly's one of us. Hightower's already approved the overtime. You know the drill.

Jane: Why is that the drill? I mean, for everyone else, it just looks like for your own, you try harder.

Van Pelt: We do.

Lisbon: It's a deterrent. It sends out a message, nobody gets away with k*lling a cop, a judge or a D.A.

Rigsby: Cho can get a list of Kelly's cases, see who she put away that held a grudge.

Jane: It's not a deterrent. It's revenge, really. I mean, and that's not a criticism, 'cause I'm all about revenge. I mean, revenge can be very productive.

Lisbon: Productive?

Jane: Well, take Rigsby. Van Pelt breaks up with him. Now he's in the best shape of his life. I mean, he's hitting the gym, what, six times a week? Look at him. He is brimming with sexual confidence.

Rigsby: Jane, cut it out.

Van Pelt: Not on my account. It's fine.

Jane: See? Fine. My point, there is nothing wrong with revenge.

Lisbon: Van Pelt, any damage to the windows or the back door?

Van Pelt: No, nothing. No sign of forced entry, so either she let him in, or...

Rigsby: Husband's here.

Jane: He let himself in.

(a uniformed police officer and he support a man between them)

Jayden Flower: Oh, my god! No! Kelly, no! No! No! God, no!

Day - CBI Building

(in the Team Office)

Cho: Tiffany wants you to call her back.

Rigsby: Oh, thanks.

Cho: Said to tell you you're a very bad boy.

Rigsby: Did she? (turns) Agent Hightower, hi.

Hightower: Morning. You two know Marc Odenthal from the D.A.'s office?

Rigsby: Sure. Hi.

Cho: Hi.

Hightower: We're gonna talk with the District Attorney. What can you tell me about Kelly's case?

Lisbon: We're looking at anybody who had access to the house Cbs From work, the neighborhood, the local dog park, anywhere.

Hightower: Husband?

Lisbon: Flower was too upset to talk last night. Jane and I are heading over there now.

Cho: And we've got a list of past defendants. At least four have expressed written or verbal threats.

Marc Odenthal: The D.A.told me to give you this. It includes her current cases.

Cho: Hang on. Hank Draber. The smuggler?

Hightower: Smuggling dr*gs, conspiracy to m*rder. We haven't been able to lay a glove on 'em before.

Marc Odenthal: Draber's trial was supposed to start next week. I just got judge Hildred to grant a continuance. It's gonna take me three months just to learn the file.

Lisbon: Go. Take Van Pelt.

Cho: All right.

Ext. Daytime. Port of Sacramento

(Van Pelt and Cho in the middle of clarks coming and going)

(a man emerges from a shed)

Van Pelt: There he is. Mr. Draber!

(the man continues on his way, they find him in another shed, gunmen surround)

Hank Draber: What do you want?

Flower residence.

(Lisbon, Jane, Jayden Flower)

Lisbon: So how are you getting along lately? Any problems?

Jayden Flower: You... My wife is dead, andyou're wasting your time on me?

Lisbon: Mr. Flower, I knew your wife. Now we're gonna find out who did this, even if it's you. You understand? So how were you two getting along?

Jayden Flower: We loved each other. Everything was good.

Jane: How was the remodel? That can be stressful.

Jayden Flower: Things were good. But that day, we fought. That's why I went to the movies, over her hours. It... It was just so stupid. She was so stressed over that draber case, you know? She called it her "career-maker. " That's what she said, "career-maker."

Lisbon: So you argued. Did it turn physical?

Jayden Flower: No. I loved her. I would never do anything like that. Never.

(between them, a single man)

Man: Mr. Flower? I got the tarp on the roof in case it rains before you want me back.
Didn't mean to interrupt. I'll get out of your hair now.

Jayden Flower: Thank you. That's our contractor Cale Sylvan. He's, uh...

Jane (shakes hands with Cale): Patrick Jane.

Cale Sylvan: How you doing?

Jane: Good. You're standing in the... (points at the pool of blood) Can I ask you a question? Uh, would you recommend a flash hot water heater over a regular one? I mean, I was leaning towards flash. But they're very expensive.

Cale Sylvan: Well, you know, flash will pay for itself in energy savings pretty quick, but it depends on consumption.

Jane: Of course. That's a very good point. Um, do you have a card?

Cale Sylvan: Sure.

Jane: Great. I'll maybe give you a call. Great. (Cale leaves the house) Well, thanks for your time, Mr. Flower. Thank you.

(on the steps of the Flower residence)

Jane: Cale Sylvan is a dangerous psychopath, and he k*lled kelly flower.

Lisbon: How's that?

Jane: He had access, and he looked evil.

Lisbon: And...

Jane: When I told him he was standing in her blood, what was his reaction? Not horror. Not embarrassment.

Lisbon: No emotion at all. All right. I'll run him.

Jane: Excellent. Having prints might help, no?

In a shed, the Sacramento Harbour Wharf

(Van Pelt, Cho, Hank Draber, an old woman in a wheelchair, gunmen)

Hank Draber: You know, you guys should be more careful. You almost got yourselves sh*t. It's a good thing you look like cops.

Cho: We could take you in, but you'll lawyer up. And we'll all waste a lot of time. But here we can have a nice conversation, right?

Hank Draber: Yeah. That sounds reasonable.

Cho: Fine. Kelly Flower was all set to fry your ass in court. You were looking at 20 years, easy. Now the trial's been postponed who knows how long. That gives you motive for her m*rder.

Old Woman in a wheelchair (she has just dropped a piece of paper): Oh, that one's a winner. I know it is.

Van Pelt: Here you go. You like the lotto, huh?

Old Woman in a wheelchair: None of your business.

Hank Draber: Mom. Come on.

Annabelle Draber (to Van Pelt): You have pretty hair.

Hank Draber: My mom's a little senile.

Cho: Now who'd take care of your mother if Kelly Flower put you in jail?

Hank Draber: You know, k*lling a prosecutor is, is almost as bad as k*lling a cop, right? It's not something I want to get my hands dirty with. I got enough problems as it is. Right, mom?

Annabelle Draber: Close your mouth, muffin.

INT. CBI office

(Lisbon, writing, Jane lying on the couch. Between them, Rigsby)

Rigsby: Well, Jane's right. Sylvan is a k*ller.

Jane: You know, it feels good to be right.

Rigsby: Prints brought up these I. D.S. We got Carl Sennett, a witness in an accidental drowning in Arizona. Cory Sampson, who lived next door to a hit-and-run victim in seattle. And Chad Sewell, wanted for questioning about the m*rder of his boss, a bank executive in Reno.
We have four other deaths that Sylvan's linked to In some other way.

Lisbon: He's not just a k*ller. He's a serial k*ller.

Jane: Well, Saddle up. Lock and load. Do what you do. Go, go bring him in.

Rigsby: We can't.

Lisbon: Nope.

Jane: What?

Lisbon: All we have is that Cale Sylvan liked to change his name. Not illegal and that bad luck followed him. We don't even have enough for a search warrant.

Jane: He'll k*ll again. You, you know what he is, Lisbon.

Lisbon: Knowing isn't proving. Rigsby, have Cho set up on Sylvan's house 24-hour surveillance. If he shows up, have Cho follow him. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Rigsby: Okay. (he leaves)

Jane: This, this is ridiculous. I...

Lisbon: I know.

Jane: I'm gonna go with Cho.

Lisbon: Go.

EXT. Day

(Cho and Jane concealed in a car outside Sylvan's apartment)

Jane: Sylvan's smart enough to know we'll be here. He won't be coming back. It's a waste of time.

Cho: Yep.

Jane: What are you reading there, Cho?

Cho: "Wuthering Heights."

Jane: Well, I'm gonna take a stroll. (he gets out of the car, puts his head to the window) Let me know how it ends.

Cho: Not well.

CBI Building - Lisbon's Office

(Lisbon, Rigsby, Van Pelt)

Lisbon: Cho said Jane ditched him at Sylvan's. Have you seen him?

Rigsby: Nope. There's something hinky here, boss. These are photos of some of the victims linked to Sylvan.

Lisbon: Different ages, sexes, races.

Rigsby: Exactly. A serial k*ller almost always hunts the same kind of prey. This doesn't make sense as a serial k*ller's M.O.

Van Pelt: It does when you look at Sylvan's financials. I tracked bank records for all the I. D.S. we could find. Sylvan received substantial payments just before and just after each death.

Lisbon: He kills for money? He's a hit man?

Jane: A psychopath who made money from his hobby. It's outstanding. You do something you love. You never have to work a day in your life.

Lisbon: Where the hell have you been?

Jane: Me? Oh, I've been around.

Van Pelt: I found a web site registered to one of his old identies. It says to "call Mr. Black for odd jobs of any sort."

Jane: Well, I guess we should give him a call. Grace, do you happen to have any photographs of, uh, you know, ex-boyfriends?

Back in the alley

(Van Pelt, hooded man)

In a room not far from Van Pelt

(Jane, Lisbon, Rigsby)

Van Pelt (She shows him a picture of Rigsby): I want you to k*ll him. How much do you charge?

Jane (in Van Pelt's earpiece): Ask him again, Grace. You're a busy lady. You don't have all night.

Van Pelt: You gonna answer me or not? I want the bastard dead, soon.

Jane (to Lisbon and Rigsby): She's convincing.

Rigsby: Trying to work here.

Jane: Okay.

Mr. Black: I charge $50,000. And what you're asking is pretty easy. I mean, you just gotta have to stop thinking of him as a person. The rest is just a physics problem, gravity, force, torque.

Jane (in Van Pelt's earpiece): Ask for proof of what he does.

Van Pelt: Torque is well and good, but I need to know that you're for real. See, maybe you're a hitter. Maybe you're a cop.

Lisbon: Long sh*t.

Jane: Trying to work here.

Mr. Black: Let me show you somethin'. (he pulls out a Kn*fe threateningly) How's that?

Lisbon: Let's move.

Jane (in Van Pelt's earpiece): No, no, no. It's a test. Grace, listen. Listen very carefully.

Mr. Black: Are you a cop?

Van Pelt: I'm not a cop. I'm just careful, like you. I just want to know that I have the right man.

Jane (in Van Pelt's earpiece): Besides, don't you want to show me...

Van Pelt (repeating what Jane told him): Besides, don't you want to show me. So you can make me afraid? That's what you like, isn't it. Seeing the fear? You show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

Mr. Black: I have something to show you then. Just watch for a second.

(a video on his mobile phone. The m*rder of Kelly Flower)

"Kelly Flower (she crawls on the ground): Oh, wait. Oh, please!"

Mr. Black: Look at it. It's my last job. The client was very happy.

Jane (excited): Proof. That's proof. Proof.

Mr. Black: Are we gonna do business?

Van Pelt: Yes, we are.

Rigsby (comes out of hiding w*apon in hand): CBI! Drop the Kn*fe!

(Lisbon, Cho, a number of police officers appear)

Chot: Don't move!

Rigsby: Hands on your head!

Lisbon: Drop the Kn*fe now!

Rigsby: Don't move! On your knees!

Lisbon: Cale Sylvan, you're under arrest for the m*rder of Kelly Flower.

Rigsby: Hands on your head!

Lisbon: Jane, you can come out.

Lisbon: How'd you know he had proof?

Jane: Well, he's a narcissist. Needs affirmation, trophies.

Lisbon: Who paid you to k*ll Kelly?

Jane: Tell 'em. You'll feel better.

Mr. Black: I would like to talk to my lawyer. And II'll see you clowns in court.

INT. Daytime.

Sacramento County Courthouse corridors

(Jane, Lisbon)

Jane: Catching K*llers I enjoy, but being reminded that we're just a cog in a petty, fascist machine, that is a little depressing.

Lisbon: Crime-fighting is hard. Suck it up. If you weren't on the witness list, I wouldn't even let you in the same time zone as Judge Dread.

Jane: "Judge Dread", can't possibly be as much fun as it sounds.

On a TV screen, images of the m*rder of Kelly Flower

Courtroom

(Lisbon testifies)

"Kelly Flower: Oh, please! Please! What do you want? Oh, god! Oh, god, don't hurt me! Oh, god! Oh, god, don't! Please! Please!"

Dana Munn (Cale Sylvan's Lawyer): Your honor, I object. This video is inflammatory and prejudicial. Although we'll stipulate to the fact That Kelly Flower was m*rder*d, we reserve our right to deny that there is probable cause my client committed said m*rder. And we also object to the chain of custody for this video.

Jane: Is that even a sentence?

Judge Hildred: Quiet in the gallery! You say another word, and you'll regret it.

Jane: Well, I'm... I'm sorry, your honor, but this woman is spouting nothing but ludicrous pettifoggery. And, uh, I'm a little hungry.

Lisbon: Your honor, if you'll let me down, I can handle him.

Judge Hildred: Mr. Jane, that is your name, correct?

Jane: That's correct. Patrick Jane.

Judge Hildred: Well, this court hereby fines you $1,000.

Jane: Make it $2,000, and let me tell this, uh, tiresome woman to move it along.

Judge Hildred: $2,000 then.

Judge Hildred: Counselor, you heard the man. Move it along.

Dana Munn: So, agent Lisbon, let's get back to this video. That night was the first time you'd ever seen it?

Lisbon: Yes.

Dana Munn: Are you sure?

Marc Odenthal: Objection. Asked and answered.

Dana Munn: I'll move on, your honor. So you never entered Mr. Sylvan's apartment and looked at the video. On his computer or instructed anyone else to do so?

Lisbon: No.

Dana Munn: Well, then I need you to answer a puzzling question. Your honor, I would like to enter this into evidence as defense exhibit one.

Jane: Oh oh.

Dana Munn: I got this mug from Mr. Sylvan's sink. But he didn't put it there.

Lisbon: So...

Dana Munn: So tell me, how is it that this mug has Mr. Jane's fingerprints on it? Agent Lisbon, did your consultant break into Mr. Sylvan's home without a warrant?

Lisbon: No. No, of course not.

Marc Odenthal: Your honor, may I have a moment to confer with agent Lisbon?

Judge Hildred: You make it quick. This is getting interesting. Bailiff.

(Lisbon and Marc Odenthal approach Jane)

Lisbon: That's how you knew Sylvan had proof. You'd already seen it.

Jane: I have no idea what you're talking about.

Marc Odenthal: Tell us what happened now.

Jane: I was with Cho. We were staking out Sylvan's place. I decided I wanted to take a walk.

(Flashback - Cale Sylvan's appartment)

I happened upon Sylvan's door, unlocked. And like any concerned citizen, I went in to look around. And checked that the place hadn't been robbed. Then I left. That's it.

Lisbon: Oh, crap.

Judge Hildred: What's the story, Mr. Odenthal?

Marc Odenthal: Your honor... Mr. Jane did enter Mr. Sylvan's residence, but only because he feared there was an intruder inside.

Dana Munn: You mean one besides himself?

Jane: I, it's not like I took anything, your honor.

Marc Odenthal: Your honor, what Mr. Jane is trying to say is that he's not a state agent. He's a private consultant. Therefore, there's no fourth amendment violation.

Dana Munn: Mr. Jane is a charlatan who has made a mockery of our legal system on numerous occasions. In fact, a few months ago he refused to take a woman to the hospital for poisoning until she confessed to a m*rder.

Jane: She was not poisoned in the first place, and it was just a very clever ruse...

Judge Hildred: Quiet, Mr. Jane. For what it's worth. You should be ashamed of yourself anyway. You, too, agent Lisbon. You're the law. I hold Mr. Jane's search to be illegal, and any evidence discovered then or during the sting is hereby excluded as fruit of the poisonous tree. The video, out. Any statements made by the Defendant to agent Van Pelt, out.

Marc Odenthal: Your honor, I object. Your anger is clouding your...

Judge Hildred: Mr. Odenthal, do you have any evidence of any kind that your consultant hasn't crapped all over?

Marc Odenthal: No, your honor.

Judge Hildred: Well, then the People v. Sylvan is hereby dismissed for lack of evidence. Mr. Sylvan, you're free to go.

Jane: This is ridiculous, your honor.

Jayden Flower: This is wrong! This don't make no sense!

Cale Sylvan (to Jane): I'll be seeing you.

Jayden Flower: He k*lled my wife! How can he go free?

Judge Hildred: Bailiff, bring in the next case.

Marc Odenthal's Office, on the wall the head of a stuffed bighorn

(Marc Odenthal, Lisbon, Jane)

Marc Odenthal: I had a confession. I had video. I had an airtight case. And it's all out. How could you break into his place?

Jane: Easy. The lock on the back door was very flimsy.

Lisbon: Marc, I apologize. I do.

Jane: I, also, I didn't think I'd be found out. I mean, how was I to know they were going to dust for my finger prints?

Marc Odenthal: You let a k*ller back on the streets.

Jane: Actually, I got the k*ller off the streets. Keeping him off the streets, your job.

Marc Odenthal: You're blaming me? (he takes a w*apon from an evidence box, which is placed on a coffee table and brandishes it) I'm not the one who got the m*rder w*apon tossed.

Jane: Court is theater. Whatever side has the best liar wins. Usually that's you, but today she was better.

Marc Odenthal: You're an arrogant little bastard.

Jane: Whoa, easy with the steel, brother.

Marc Odenthal (checks it isn't loaded and places it back in the box): Oh, relax. It's not loaded.

Lisbon: Look, Marc, there is no double jeopardy here. We can still take this to trial. I will find new evidence. I promise.

Marc Odenthal (to Jane): You're a menace. When I'm D.A., you'll never work with this office again.

Jane: So ambitious.

Lisbon: Not your call, Marc. Not then, not now.

Marc Odenthal: You're defending him?

Jane: Thank you, Lisbon.

Lisbon: Shut up, Jane.

INT. Night - Hightower's Office

(Hightower, Lisbon, Jane)

Hightower: I thought you two trusted each other.

Lisbon: So did I.

Jane: We do. I, we have trust. I, I didn't tell her because I didn't want her to be complicit and then have to lie about it later.

Hightower: Some partnership you got going on here. I'll have to send you home while the professional standards unit. Does its thing, five days at least.

Jane: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. It's not her fault.

Hightower: That will be the P.S.U.'s determination, no doubt. This is just the situation we talked about, Patrick. Agent Lisbon is responsible for the actions of her team members. Including you.

Lisbon: Yes, ma'am. Is that all?

Hightower: Yes.

(Lisbon leaves the office)

Jane (following Lisbon): Look, Lisbon, I'm so sorry. I really am.

Hightower: Jane. (Jane stands in front of the office) Lisbon needs some time off. A few days off will do her good. Nice talking with you.

Jane: Yeah. (he leaves the office)
Team Office

(Lisbon, Van Pelt, Cho, Rigsby, Jane subsequently)

Lisbon: Rigsby, go back through Sylvan's financials. Van Pelt, take another look at Kelly's video of her m*rder. See if we missed anything.

Rigsby: Hey, we'll serve up Sylvan as your welcome back present, okay?

Jane (to Cho and Rigsby watching disapprovingly): It's a little chilly in here. (to Lisbon) Do you want to go get a coffee? Oh, come on. Look at the bright side. You've five days off. You've five days off from me.

Lisbon: Cho, you're in charge. He's your problem now. (she leaves)

Jane: That's good. Cho's a big boy. He knows how to look after me. (Cho and Rigsby throw him the same disapproving look) (to Cho) You want to get a coffee?

In a cafe

(Jane, Cho seated with cups in front of them)

Jane: Did you bring a book? Could be a bit of a wait.

Cho: What are we doing here?

Jane: You're still mad with me about Lisbon's suspension.

Cho: Yeah. It's your fault.

Jane: Yeah. You know, murderers takes risks, sometimes in order to catch these risk takers, we have to take risks. There can be fallout.

Cho: Tell me what's going on or I'm outta here.

Jane: Okay. I looked in Sylvan's kitchen cabinets. Not much of a tea selection. He's a coffee geek. Drinks only the best, fresh-roast coffee. And the best fresh-roasted coffee in Sylvan's neighborhood...

Cho: Is in this place here. That's kind of thin.

Jane: Yeah, but I'm 100% confident that it... (Cale Sylvan takes a place in the queue) Thank goodness.

Cho: Look, the judge warned us not to talk to Sylvan without his lawyer.

Jane: Talk? This is two guys bumping into each other in the coffee line.

Cho (Jane gets up and goes to Cale Sylvan): Jane...

Jane (Jane joins Cale Sylvan in the queue): Cale? Oh, that's a funny coincidence.

Cale Sylvan (turns to Jane): I told you I'd be seeing you.

Jane: Yeah. Well, you look well, (pats him on the back) I gotta say. You're in a very relaxed state. Now confess that you k*lled Kelly Flower, and a huge burden will be lifted.

Cale Sylvan: Funny guy. Sense of humor. That's great.

Jane: Yeah. Well, maybe I did something wrong. Sorry to, uh, bother you.

Cale Sylvan: Accidents happen.

(Jane returns to the table where Cho waits)

Cho: Hypnosis. Great plan.

Jane: No, that would be silly. Hypnosis is illegal. That was a misdirect so that I could search his Jacket pockets and find...this... (he opens his right hand and is shocked to discover ...)

Cho: A button, fluff and some sand?

Jane: Yeah. It's a little anticlimactic. Um, do you have an evidence baggie?

Cho (rises and leaves): You're walking home.

Jane: Or I could just carry it.

CBI Team Office

(Rigsby, Van Pelt, Cho)

Rigsby: So Sylvan's financials are clean. There's just one thing I don't get. The end of every month, he withdraws just over 2 grand in cash. He has no family, no girlfriend.

Cho: Sounds like rent.

Rigsby: His apartment's only $900, and he writes a check for that.

Cho: No, not his apartment, his home. A place to store his tools, process his victims, keep his trophies.

Rigsby: A m*rder house. And if he's paying cash, it's a fair bet the name Cale Sylvan won't be on the lease. The place could be anywhere.

Van Pelt: Maybe I can narrow it a little. Look at this. This is from the Sylvan m*rder video. The bag he's holding, it's from ABS gym. We show his picture around the gym. Maybe we find someone who knows his other address.

Rigsby: There's a dozen abs gyms around here. It'll take days to canvass 'em.

Cho: I'll start with the ones by the river. The sand Jane found In Sylvan's pockets, it's river sand, not ocean sand.

Rigsby: How'd you know?

Cho: We're in Sacramento. We got a river, not an ocean.

Van Pelt: There's only one abs gym near the river, on Dos Robles.

Rigsby: On my way.

Cho: If you get an address, go straight to judge Hildred and get a search warrant. We'll take down Sylvan today.

Ext. Daytime.

On a dilapidated white wooden fence, a sign: "PRIVATE PROPERTY. KEEP OUT"

(one nears the house)

(sitting in a chair, a man watches a black and white gangster film, on a flat screen, he eats crackers)

(we hear someone gagged trying to talk)

Cale Sylvan: Aw, shut up. You shouldn't have embezzled all that money, you big baby. (In the background, a man is lying on the kitchen table, bound with tape) (he gets up) Time to go to work. (picks up a kitchen Kn*fe, which was next to the package of crackers, goes over to the gagged man) I don't think you're gonna want to look at this. (he grabs the Kn*fe with both hands lifted above man, a smoke grenade lands at his feet) What was that?

(Cho, Rigsby, police storm the house)

Rigsby: Freeze! Freeze! Let me see your hands! Let me see your hands!

(fight with Cho and Van Pelt and they overpower)

Cale Sylvan: Get your hands off of me! Get your hands off me!

Cho: Hook him up.

Cale Sylvan: It's not me. I hope you brought more people. Cheating son of a bitch.

Rigsby: (to the gagged and taped man): You're okay. You're okay. You're safe now.

Cho (to Van Pelt): You got it? There we go.

(they leave the house, it's dark)

Rigsby: I sent the victim to the hospital. He'll be okay... After three or four years of therapy.

Cho: Good. Yeah, that look's not so scary when you're in handcuffs, buddy. Either you tell us who hired you or you're looking at a slam-dunk death penalty.

Cale Sylvan (leaning against a police car): Maybe we can come to some kind of arrangement.

Rigsby (sees a red light on Cho's shirt, he shoves him): Cho, get down!

(sh*t, Cale Sylvan collapses)

Rigsby: 10-33. sh*ts fired.

Van Pelt: Man down. We need paramedics now. G.S.W. to the chest.

Rigsby: sh*t came from the north of location. North of location. Let's get a bird in here now.

Cho: The son of a bitch is dead.

Ext. Daytime.

(coroner's investigation team search the ground around Cale Sylvan's house)

Cho (to a police officer who made him sign a piece of paper): Call in another team for the back of the house. Thanks. (to Rigsby, who arrives) That's eight bodies so far, and that's just the ones Sylvan's clients didn't want found.

Rigsby: They're gonna be clearing missing persons cases for a month.

Cho: Any luck on the sh**t?

Rigsby: Not much. k*ll sh*t came from that hillside. Over two football fields away.

Cho: That's a tough sh*t. So I guess whoever employed Sylvan hired a second sh**t to cover his tracks.

Rigsby: The thing is, how did that client know that Sylvan had become a liability?

Cho: That's a good question. Where's Jane?

Ext. Daytime. In front of a warehouse at the port of Sacramento

(Jane Lisbon)

Jane (meets Lisbon getting out of the car): Hey!

Lisbon: This better be good. I was catching up on my tivo.

Jane: Liar. You were reading. But what? Progress reports?

Lisbon: No.

Jane Whatever. This is gonna be a lot of fun. I'm going into the Drabers' lair.

Lisbon: It's not a lair, it's an office, and no, you're not.

Jane: Oh, yes, I am. They seem kind of scary. You wouldn't want me to get hurt, would you?

Lisbon: Don't bet on it. W, why the Drabers?

Jane: A hunch. They're key in this somehow.

Lisbon: You think they hired Sylvan?

Jane: Well, Sylvan looked the part.

Lisbon: Why the hell didn't you call Cho?

Jane: Well, you were closer.

Lisbon: Call Cho. I'm not even armed.

Jane: More lies. You have at least two g*ns in that car. Three? Oh, my... You're the poster girl for the N. R.A.

In the Draber's shed.

(Jane, Lisbon, Hank and Annabelle Draber)

Hank Draber: I'm telling you, I've got nothing to do with the prosecutor dying. And the Sylvan guy, never heard of him before I saw him on the news.

Jane (to Annabelle Draber, who is scratching lotto games): Hello. Hi!

Annabelle Draber: Gonna win big. Gonna buy a washing machine.

Jane: She's a treasure. You want to leave her alone?

Hank Draber: She's a little soft in the head, okay?

Jane: You know, Hank, as you were talking to Lisbon here, I couldn't help but notice you kept looking at your mother, as if you were checking for her approval. I mean, most tough guys are scared of their mothers, but, Hank, you were quaking.

Hank Draber: Your friend's crazier than my mom.

Jane: Digging those nails. Plucked eyebrows, coiffed hair. Did you do the, uh, makeover, Hank? No, didn't think so.

Annabelle Draber: Time for my stories, Hanky.

Jane: Okay, Hanky.

Hank Draber: You are upsetting her, okay? So leave her alone.

Lisbon: Easy.

Jane: This is brilliant. (turning to Lisbon) Lisbon, this is brilliant. (talking to Annabelle Draber) You, you are a treasure. You're running this whole operation, aren't you? Hank's just a figurehead to take the heat. Tell me I'm right. You know, I should have checked the shoes.

(Annabelle Draber rises from her wheelchair goes next to her son)

Annabelle Draber: Damn it, Hank. I told you about looking at me, didn't I?
Did you mean: (to Jane, who is jubilant) You think you're so damn clever. Well, clever is as clever does, and you've just made a very stupid move. Boys!

Jane (two armed men arrive): Oh, dear.

Annabelle Draber: How clever are you now exactly?

Lisbon: We're cops. Just be cool. Put the weapons down now.

Annabelle Draber: You put your g*n down, Miss Lisbon, and you can live.

(doors of a container open in front of Lisbon and Jane)

Hank Draber: Come on. Get in.

(they enter, the doors close, they are almost completely in the dark)

Jane: I was right about Annabelle anyway.

Lisbon: Congratulations.

(a clark carries a container, removal truck starts up)

INT. CBI office

(Van Pelt, Rigsby, Cho)

Rigsby: So we're good, right? You're not gonna put a hit out on me?

Van Pelt: You've moved on. That's good. I've moved on, too.

Rigsby: Well, I'm glad. That's a relief.

Cho: You guys heard from Jane?

Van Pelt: No

Rigsby: No

INT. container

(Lisbon, Jane)

Lisbon (she taps on the wall of the container): Hello?! Anybody?! Hello?!

(Jane near a barred "window" is exasperated by all the noise)

Jane: I can't really see anything. There's kind of a draft right here, though, if you just... Just there.

Lisbon: No food, no water. This is not good.

Jane: Well, I suppose we should draw straws to see who eats who first.

Lisbon: Yeah, right. Draw straws with a professional cheat.

Jane: Why so grumpy? It's not like we're gonna die here. The Drabers don't want us dead. Come here and get a little bit of this breeze. It'll cheer you up. Come here. It's not quite as nice as a river breeze, but it's not bad. You feeling that? Good.

Lisbon: River breeze. Wait a minute. I live nowhere near the docks.

Jane: Well, that's good. It's a terrible neighborhood.

Lisbon: You said you called me because I was closer, but the H.Q. is only 15 minutes from the docks.

Jane: I'm, I'm just, I'm bad with distances, always have been.

Lisbon: Patrick Jane, you were trying to help me. You were. You thought if I made a big bust, the P.S.U. would get off my back.

Jane: You know I'm always gonna save you, Lisbon, whether you like it or not.

Lisbon: I don't need to be saved. I knew this would end a disaster the day I signed on with you. One day I'm gonna get fired because of you. That's just the way it is.

Jane: Right. Well, some people might ask why you signed on with me in the first place.

Lisbon: We catch a lot of bad guys. Most days, that's enough. Also, I...

Jane: I think I hear something. Someone out there.

Lisbon: Where?

Jane: Hello!

Lisbon: Hello?

Jane: Over here!

Lisbon: In here!

Jane: Around the front. The, the big latch. I told you I would save you, Lisbon.

(un enfant tenant une corde avec au bout une chevre leur ouvre, ils sont au milieu de nulle part, presqu'un désert. Il s'éloignent en suivant l'enfant)

(a child holding a rope with a goat. They are in the middle of nowhere, almost a desert. The goat follows the child away)

INT. Daytime. CBI Building

(Rigsby, Van Pelt, Cho)

Rigsby: Sac P.D. found Jane's car at the docks. Lisbon's too.

Van Pelt: Crap.

Rigsby: No sign of them or the Drabers.

Cho: Call sac P.D., I.C.E. and the coast guard. Have them search every vehicle... Warehouse and boat the Drabers own.

Van Pelt (answers the phone): Van Pelt. Slow down.

Rigsby (passes the call): Agent Rigsby.

Van Pelt: Um, sí. Uno—uno momento, por favor. (hands the phone to Rigsby) Can you?

Rigsby (he finished his call): I'll call you back.

Van Pelt: It's the Federales, I think. Something about Jane and a goat?

Ext. Daytime. Courthouse in Sacramento. In a courtroom.

(Marc Odenthal, Judge Hildred, Jane, Lisbon)

Marc Odenthal (to the jury): Louise Willett robbed the very people she was supposed to be taking care of, and she spent that money.

(Jane enters the room, followed by Lisbon, both bedraggled)

Jane (interrupting Odenthal): Ipso facto, ad nauseam. Sorry, Odenthal. I need to borrow your judge for a second.

Judge Hildred: Uh, Mr. Jane, we are in session.

Jane: Yes, we would have come earlier, but, uh, we had quite a long walk getting here. It won't take a second. We just need one of your fancy arrest/warrant thingies for Annabelle Draber. (cellphone rings) She'll give you the details.

Marc Odenthal: Jane, get out of here.

Judge Hildred: Mr. Jane, there are no phones in my courtroom.

Jane: I'm very sorry. Just a minute, Cho. I'm kinda busy.

Judge Hildred: That's $1,000, Mr. Jane.

Jane: Sure. Uh, listen, I'm kinda in the middle of something, so I'll call you back.

Judge Hildred: $2,000. hang it up. Now!

Jane: (to the judge) Sure. (on phone) Really?

Judge Hildred: $3,000.

Jane: Listen, Cho, uh...

Judge Hildred: $4,000.

Defense Counsel: Your honor, I move for a mistrial.

Judge Hildred: $5,000.

Marc Odenthal (to Jane): You're not costing me another case. Give me that phone.

Jane: No. Get your own. (he flicks Marc Odenthal on the nose)

Marc Odenthal: Your honor, battery?

Judge Hildred: Bailiffs, would you arrest this man, please?

Jane: Lisbon, this...

The policeman in the room: Hang on.

Jane: Cho.

Lisbon: I'm on suspension. No badge, no authority.

(Jane is handcuffed behind his back)

INT. Daytime. CBI Team Office

(Jane, Cho)

Jane (sitting on the sofa reading a large book): Oh, thanks for bailing me out. Lisbon wasn't answering her phone for some reason.

Cho: The judge is really pissed, so is Odenthal. They want to make an example.

Jane: Hum...

Cho: It's not just contempt of court, Jane. It's battery.

Jane: Battery against a peace officer. Penal code section 242 "et seq."I love the latin. You know there's 30 kinds of battery charges?

Cho: Yes.

Jane: This stuff is fascinating. You know, I could be my own lawyer.

Cho: You're gonna represent yourself? You represent yourself, you're an idiot.

Jane: Uh, it's actually "he who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client." It's much catchier. Could be fun, Cho.

In the courtroom

(Jane, Judge Hildred, Marc Odenthal)

(Jane sat on the witnesses chair leafs through the Penal Code of California)

Judge Hildred: This may be a, hum, a somewhat informal hearing, but you still must respect this court, or you will go directly back to jail. Do you read me?

Jane: Yeah, you bet, your honor.

Jayden Flower (sits down next to Lisbon in the room): Mr. Jane asked me to come. Do you know why?

Lisbon: I have no idea.

Marc Odenthal: Let's get right to it, Mr. Jane. Is it true that yesterday, you tweaked the Assistant District Attorney's nose in this very room?

Jane (laughs): Speaking of yourself in the third person, Marc. Y, you gotta admit, sounds a little silly. Yes, I tweaked your nose.

Marc Odenthal: Your honor, we're done here. Mr. Jane admits the crime.

Jane: But in my defense, you were being very annoying.

Judge Hildred: Mr. Jane, you're out of order.

Jane: You're out of order. You're out of order. This whole trial's out of order! Oh, come on. You gotta admit, you walked right into that one. Okay. All right, my turn to question you guys.

Marc Odenthal: Yes. Wait."you guys"? Plural?

Jane: Well, you're both witnesses. Oh, Uh... When I'm cross-examing myself. (to the judge) Do, do I have to stand down there and ask the questions and run back up here and answer them?

Judge Hildred: Mr. Jane, you stay put.

Judge Hildred: Mr. Odenthal, you take a deep breath. Pro perdefendants are given a certain amount of latitude. You know that. God help us all.

Jane: Judge Hildred, are you now or have you ever been a member of the communist party?

Judge Hildred: What? No!

Jane: Mr. Odenthal, do you own a g*n?

Marc Odenthal: Wait. What?

Jane: Are you a good sh*t? Don't answer that. How about you, your honor? You any good with a g*n? The person that k*lled Cale Sylvan, they estimated, was more than 200 yards away. That is a great sh*t. It's why we assume there was a second hit man.

Judge Hildred: Mr. Jane, please sit down.

Jane (to Marc Odenthal): Were you having an affair with Kelly Flower?

Judge Hildred: No.

Jane: But isn't it true that you delight in k*lling small furry animals? You're a hunter.

Marc Odenthal: This is irrelevant.

Jane: Oh? This is how we solve a m*rder. Are you saying you don't want me to solve a m*rder?

Judge Hildred: Of course I do.

Jane: Then answer the question, sir. Answer it, or tell me why you won't.

Judge Hildred: I go duck hunting every season.

Jane: And what kind of g*n do you use to k*ll these defenseless ducks?

Marc Odenthal: A 10-gauge shotgun.

Jane: And would you consider yourself a very good marksman?

Judge Hildred: Uh, last season I bagged a mallard at, uh, 60 yards.

Jane: Oh, that's not bad. Not, not bad at all. 0-gauge, 3-inch shell. 3 inches of hell. 3 inches of death.

Marc Odenthal: 3 1/2. I mean, I think. Right?

Jane: So you must be a hunter, too.

Marc Odenthal: No. I...

Jane: Then what's that dead beast in your office, Marc? What is that? Did you just get it off craigslist?

Marc Odenthal: Well, I, uh, I mean, yes, I used to hunt, just not anymore.

Jane: But you still know your way around a g*n, don't you?

(flashback to Odenthal's office when he "toyed" with the w*apon in front of Jane and Lisbon) "Oh, relax. It's not loaded."

You own your own r*fle, don't you? You heard that the judge had issued a warrant for Sylvan's m*rder house. And you knew that you had to silence Sylvan, before he talked.

(flashback during the m*rder of Cale Sylvan) "Cho, get down!"

You had to silence him before he named you as his client. The client who hired him to k*ll Kelly Flower.

Marc Odenthal: Your honor, this is completely ridiculous.

Jane: So prove it. Let us search your house. We don't find a g*n, I'll apologize.

Judge Hildred: Let him do the search, Marc.

Marc Odenthal: No.

Jane: No?

Marc Odenthal: No. I don't have to do that. I have rights. And you're obviously prejudiced against me, judge. And I'm going to take that up with the chief judge. In fact, I'm going to do that right now. (he turns away and attempts to go away)

Judge Hildred: You should stay put, counselor. Bailiff.

Lisbon: Don't move.

The policeman in the room: Sir, your hands.

CBI interrogation room

(Lisbon, Jane, Marc Odenthal)

Lisbon: The g*n that k*lled Sylvan, a Remington 700, with scope, from your garage.

Jane: Oh, and, uh... We got a warrant. You're right. A lot better with one of these.

Lisbon: You're a good prosecutor. You know what this means. A sn*per r*fle, lying in wait, m*rder with special circumstances.

Jane: Hello, death penalty.

Lisbon: But if you're willing to come clean about Kelly's m*rder, the D.A. will take death off the table. That is the last and only offer you'll get, you miserable sack of crap.

Jane: I realized the Drabers didn't hire Sylvan when they didn't k*ll Lisbon and me. If they don't k*ll cops, they're certainly not gonna k*ll an Assistant District Attorney. But the Drabers were connected somehow, weren't they? 'Cause their case was a "career maker", according to Kelly, and you wanted to be D.A. someday.

Marc Odenthal: The Draber case would have made me a lock for D.A.

Jane: Oh, yeah.

Marc Odenthal: And it should have been me. I had seniority. It was mine, and the bitch took it.

Jane: So you hired Sylvan to k*ll her.

Marc Odenthal: Yes.

Lisbon: And when Sylvan was arrested, you, told him you'd fix it, that he'd walk. As prosecutor, you had that power.

Jane: Then you had Sylvan tell his attorney to investigate me.

Marc Odenthal: The whole D.A.'s office knows how you operate. Craziness. I thought there was a good chance you'd stepped over some line or other. Turned out you had.

Lisbon: It's all right. He's learned his lesson.

Jane: Yeah, I have. I certainly have, Lisbon. I won't be stopping for tea again...

Hightower's Office

(Hightower, Lisbon, Jane)

Hightower (on phone): And lights out at 9:30, and your sister at 9:00. No. 9:30. I love you. Bye.

Lisbon: You wanted to see us, ma'am?

Hightower: Yeah, yeah, sit. Before I make any final decisions, I want to make sure I understand what happened. You disrupted a courtroom, assaulted an officer of the court. So you could question him and nearly caused a mistrial in an unrelated felony case. Is that about right?

Jane: Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

Hightower: You ignored your suspension, confronted a g*ng of criminals without any backup and then participated in Mr. Jane's disruptions, as*ault, etcetera?

Lisbon: Yes, ma'am.

Hightower (She closes the file she was reading): All right, then.

Lisbon: I'm sorry. I don't understand, ma'am.

Hightower: The CBI just busted a crooked D.A., rooted out corruption and solved the m*rder of one of our own.

Jane: Awesome.

Hightower: By the way, I.C.E. picked up the Drabers at the Canadian border. The D.A. announced he'll try the case himself.

Jane: We should have done that in the first place.

Hightower (takes briefcase and leaves office): I'll tell the P.S.U. to terminate your suspension. Welcome back.

(She turns at the door) Oh Patrick, Judge Hildred's clerk called. You owe the court $16,000 in fines. He needs a cashier's check.

Jane: Well we caught the bad guys

Lisbon: Yes we do.

Jane: Most days that's enough.

Lisbon: Yeah!

Jane: You hum, want go to range, drink something?

Lisbon: I drive. (she leaves the office on her heels Jane)