02x03 - Red Badge

Complete collection of episode transcripts for seasons 1 - 7. Aired: September 2008 to February 2015.*

Moderator: Maggiemay19

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A famous "psychic" outs himself as a fake and starts working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation so he can find "Red John," the madman who k*lled his wife and daughter.

02x03 - Red Badge

Post by bunniefuu »

Lisbon is sitting on the couch in Dr Carmen's office, while he sits on a chair nearby. Neither of them says anything for a while.

Lisbon: We do this too, you know.

Dr. Carmen: What's that?

Lisbon: Silence as a w*apon. Make people uneasy. Make them talk.

Dr. Carmen: I get paid whether you talk or not, Teresa.

Lisbon: CBI's been paying you for 5 weeks now, doctor. This was supposed to be routine.

Dr. Carmen: Routine like you have to see me after a sh**ting, sure. Not routine like I have to sign off on you.

Lisbon: I didn't even pull the trigger on Tanner, Jane did. You signed off on him after one session.

Dr. Carmen: He has good mental health.

Lisbon: Now I want to see your licence to practise!

Dr. Carmen: Ha ha

Lisbon: Ha ha. I've got 6 open cases. I'm testifying in 2 more. I don't have time...

Dr. Carmen: It's not as if you have anything to talk about. Your mom dead when you were 12; 3 younger brothers; abusive, alcoholic dad, now dead also.

Lisbon: It doesn't say abusive.

Dr. Carmen: But he was, yes?

Lisbon: This coffee tastes like crap. Seriously. Are we done?

Dr. Carmen: No. Let's talk about what you want to talk about. What do you do for fun?

Lisbon: Fun?

Dr. Carmen: That thing when you're not working.

Lisbon: I...uh... what does this have to do with... (her phone rings and she answers) Lisbon. (listens) I'll be right there. (She hangs up.)

Dr. Carmen: Duty calls. I get it. (She shrugs and gets up.)

Lisbon: Dr Carmen, why won't you sign off on me?

Dr. Carmen: Because there's something you want to tell me first. (She looks puzzled.) I'll see you next week. (She leaves.)

Lisbon, Jane, Cho and Rigsby are walking down an alleyway. Van Pelt is already there waiting for them.

Lisbon: How'd we catch this one?

Cho: Switchboard got an anonymous call saying there's a dead body. It's two blocks from us. Here we are.

Van Pelt: There's just one problem.

Jane: No body?

Van Pelt: No body.

Rigsby: Ah, not the dumpsters. Please not the dumpsters.

Lisbon: Look around for the body. See what you see. (She and Jane stand to one side while the others look for the body.)

Jane: Shrink day, huh?

Lisbon: No.

Jane: Yes. Yes. You have the line between your eyebrows. He annoys you, and besides you smell a little of his cigar smoke.

Lisbon: I'm annoyed because I forgot my cell-phone.

Jane: Oh, right.

Lisbon: (calls to Cho) Cho, anything?

Cho: Nothing.

Jane (sees a line of ants moving along the wall behind them): Did you know that if you weighed every living thing on Planet Earth, a quarter of that biomass would be just ants?

Lisbon: That's a lot of ants.

Jane: It is.

Lisbon: (calls again) Cho, anything?

Cho: No sign of a body.

Lisbon: Alright then, look in the dumpsters. Let's get out of here.

Van Pelt: I did it last time.

Rigsby: Oh, man, I just got this suit.

Cho: All right, rock paper scissors, on three. Ready? One, two, three. (Rigsby wins and looks very happy. Cho gets out some latex gloves.)

Rigsby: Yes! Hehe.

Jane: It's been dry this fall. No rain.

Lisbon: Like tinder.

Jane: Hm. That's why those ants are looking for moisture wherever they can find it (points to the line of ants on the wall).

Lisbon: Then why aren't all the ants in the wet, stinky dumpsters?

Jane: Exactly. (Jane and Lisbon follow the line of ants.) Because they've found somewhere else where there's a little more m... (There's a big metal sliding door in the way.) Ah... (calls) Rigsby! Little help here.

Lisbon: Ah, please! (She slides the door open and a body rolls out. The others come over and Rigsby crouches next to the body.)

Rigsby: Looks like three to the chest point-blank.

Van Pelt: Perfect triangle formation.

Cho: No brass. Looks like the sh**t took the shell casings with him. Pro job.

Rigsby: I can't find any ID. Call forensics, run it for prints. (Jane has been watching Lisbon's expression. He looks at her.)

Jane: Who is he?

Lisbon: Name's William McTeer. From San Francisco. Serial child r*pist. Served six years at Pelican Bay.

Jane: And you know this how?

Lisbon: I'm the one who sent him there.

Jane: Huh.

Lisbon: (Starts walking away) We're near Marie's doughnuts. Anyone want to go for a bear-claw after?

Jane: (Looks at the body and makes a face.) Can't say I'm hungry.

Jane and Lisbon are sitting in her office on either side of a table which has a row of 4 upturned mugs on it. They have their eyes shut.

Lisbon: Jane, we have a case. You think I have time for games?

Jane: Life is a game. You have plenty of time for that. Shh. Shh. (opens his eyes and looks at her) Let me read your thoughts. I want you to take a deep breath in... (she does) and out... (she does). Will you concentrate? (She nods) Name as many 20th century presidents as you can... now.

Lisbon: Uh, Coolidge, Wilson, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Truman, Kennedy, Nixon, LBJ...

Jane: Good. Take another breath in... (she does, somewhat impatiently) and out... (she does). Concentrate on which mug it is under. I am listening to your thoughts. Don't shout, I can hear you. Open your eyes. (She does, and looks at him quizzically. He lifts up the second mug and takes out a $20 bill.)

Lisbon: Well, you did have a 25% sh*t.

Jane: We could do it all day and I would get it every time.

Lisbon: Gimme that (she takes the money and starts to lift the mugs). How'd you do it?

Jane: You told me, Lisbon. Our minds are in sync. In fact right now, right now I'm feeling something (she looks amused). I'm getting it right here (he shuts his eyes and presses his fingers against the middle of his forehead between his eyes), it's a... it's a nickname... Saint Teresa. (She looks surprised.) How come you never told me how you know Agent Bosco?

In the bullpen, Van Pelt is pulling up old newspaper articles on her computer. Cho and Rigsby stand behind her, looking over her shoulder. There's an article with a picture of Lisbon with short hair, the title of which reads "Saint Teresa: Hero Cop Nabs Molester".

Van Pelt: Look, another one. Lisbon was like a rock star for a while.

Cho: What's with her hair?

Lisbon and Jane come into the bullpen.

Lisbon: What's wrong with my hair?

Cho: Nothing.

Van Pelt: The McTeer case made your career and you never said a word. You're like a superhero with a secret identity.

Lisbon: You want to know the deal? Fine. McTeer hit the Bay area for 18 months. He att*cked 7 girls between the ages of 6 and 9. I was the SFPD inspector who caught it. I inspected, took McTeer down. Now, what've you got?

Rigsby: BFS found the sh**t's g*n a block away in a trash bin. They're running it for prints now.

Van Pelt: (reading from another article) "Inspector Lisbon's actions were lauded as heroic by city officials and her SFPD colleagues. Said her supervisor, Lt Samuel Bosco..."

Jane: (mimicking Bosco's accent) "Inspector Lisbon did an exemplary job tracking down and arresting this animal."

Bosco: Well, that's pretty good. You should get an act together. Can you do Barbara Streisand?

Jane: Don't tempt me.

Bosco: So, I heard about McTeer.

Lisbon: Weird, huh? Here we are after how many years?

Bosco: Too many. Have you spoken to Dreyer? He'd be my favourite.

Jane: Dreyer Whelan, father of the last victim, Katie, 7 years old. Promised to k*ll McTeer on release.

Lisbon: I called him. He's on his way down from Moran.

Bosco: You're all over it. Let me know if you need any help. For old time's sake.

Jane: (mimicking him again) "For old time's sake."

Lisbon: (to Van Pelt) Here's McTeer's address. Parole officer says he's got a live-in girlfriend. Go and talk to her.

Van Pelt: (making a face) He has a girlfriend?

Jane: I think I'll go with her.

Lisbon: Good idea. Rigsby. Check up on McTeer's old friends from the paedophile world, especially those who might have moved from San Francisco to Sacramento.

Rigsby: Sure, Boss.

Lisbon: Cho and I have a trial meeting with the deputy Dag.

Cho: Not if I throw myself into on-coming traffic first.

Van Pelt and Jane are interviewing McTeer's girlfriend at her apartment.

Van Pelt: Miss Derask, what was your relationship with William McTeer.

Tanya: He was my fiancé.

Van Pelt: Fiancé?

Tanya: You have a problem with that?

Jane: Oh, she just can't see how a woman could fall in love with a convicted paedophile. Not the best husband material.

Tanya: Bill was a good man. A good provider. And he treated me like a queen. Those charges in San Francisco were totally bogus anyway. That ***** cop had it in for him. A vendetta is what Bill called it.

David: I had to clean out the trap for the clog w... Hey.

Tanya: It's the police. About Bill. My brother came over to fix the sink for me.

David: (holds his hand out to Jane) David.

Jane: (shakes his hand) Patrick.

David: (to Van Pelt) Hey.

Jane: That's Grace.

Van Pelt: David, did you know William McTeer?

David: I met him a couple of times. He treated Tanya good, so, you know. Anyway, I've just got to re-attach it and you're all set, T. Nice meeting you guys. (He leaves)

Jane: You too.

Van Pelt: Do you know anyone who would want to harm William?

Tanya: Well, it's probably nothing, but he had a fight with his boss last week. Came home all moody. Said the guy was out to get him.

Van Pelt: Who's his boss?

Tanya: Some pipsqueak. I don't know. Uh, XXXYZ Incorporated is the name of the place, I think. It's over on Winley, near the highway. (A little girl comes running in and hugs her mother).

Emily: Hey, Mom.

Tanya: Hey, Emily, baby. How was school?

Emily: I can multiply my 6's. Want to hear?

Tanya: Wow. Maybe a little later, okay. (looks at Van Pelt) Bill wasn't who you think.

Jane: (crouches down at Emily's level) Hey, Emily. I'm Patrick. How are you?

Emily: Good.

Jane: Good day, huh? Six times tables, huh? Wow. Why don't you go into the kitchen and help your Uncle David.

Tanya: It's okay, sweetie. (Emily goes out.)

Jane: See ya. I don't think McTeer touched Emily.

Tanya: See. I told you.

Van Pelt: Because he was still grooming her.

Tanya: You don't know what you're talking about.

Jane: You met Bill at a shopping mall, didn't you? Near the video arcade or the movie theatre. Emily was with you.

Tanya: He worked there back then.

Jane: Yeah. Real gentleman. Not like your other guys. He never pressured you to have sex. It wasn't love at first sight, but he was just so good with Emily. He listened to her. Nobody listened to you like that growing up.

Tanya: Bill wanted to be a father. My girl doesn't deserve a father?

Jane: Lately he'd been asking if he could take Emily away on an overnight trip. Maybe camping. A little father-daughter bonding. He'd been pressuring you to say yes, just a little, but just enough to start to nag you. A tiny, little scratching nag. That maybe what you felt deep down was right; that William McTeer was too good to be true. You deserve a good man, Tanya. If you can't believe that for yourself, then just pretend, for Emily's sake. We done here? Good, cause I gotta eat. I'm starving.

Van Pelt: Yeah.

Jane: Alright.

Cho and Lisbon go into a conference room at the CBI where the deputy Dag is waiting for them.

Dag: You each are the state's key witnesses in a few cases this month. Agent Lisbon, you've got Howard and Ang; Agent Cho, you've got Ringman, Daily and Freed.

Cho: Freed. Freed bit me.

Dag: And be sure to mention that on the stand. Teresa, you remember Howard? He and his syndicate stole a hundred million dollars from the online accounts of thousands of people.

Lisbon: And then he stashed the money and k*lled his partner? I remember him. The guy's creepy.

Dag: The guy's going to prison, thanks to Agent Lisbon and her cool, calm expertise.

Lisbon: That's me, cool and calm.

Dag: So glad this isn't a Jane case. You have got to tell him, Teresa, that he cannot thr*aten people with bombs to get a confession. No rubber masks, no monster suits...

Rigsby enters.

Rigsby: Hey. We have a problem. The AFIS got a print off the g*n that k*lled McTeer.

Cho: And that's a problem?

Rigsby: Yeah. Boss, the print is yours. (Lisbon looks stunned.)

Lisbon and Minelli are in Minelli's office.

Minelli: Your fingerprint is on the magazine of the m*rder w*apon. Tell me why I shouldn't be throwing up in the bathroom right now?

Lisbon: It's a lab error. It must be. They're overworked and underfunded. This happened last year with the LAPD. Just have them re-test it. Come on! You don't think I did this?

Minelli: What I think is that I am up to my asterisks in political quicksand. You and your team are off the McTeer case, obviously.

Lisbon: I understand. Are we throwing it to the FBI?

Minelli: No.

Bosco comes in.

Bosco: Hey, Lisbon. How about this, huh?

Lisbon: Bosco.

Minelli: He knows as much about the McTeer case as you do. It makes sense. And yes, I had to pull some strings.

Lisbon: Thank you. I guess.

Minelli: No, don't misunderstand me. If you're guilty, I want you nailed. I just don't want the Feebs strolling around my offices asking impertinent questions.

Lisbon: Okay.

Bosco: So you understand I have to ask you some questions now. Nothing personal.

Lisbon: Absolutely. sh**t.

Jane comes in.

Jane: Hi, everybody. Ahh, well, bet you wish you wore some gloves, huh?

Bosco: You have some input here?

Jane: No, just nosey.

Lisbon: It's okay, he can stay if he wants to.

Jane: I'll stay.

Bosco: Where were you Tuesday night?

Lisbon: I was at home, watching television. Nobody saw me.

Bosco: What'd you watch?

Lisbon: Some reality show.

Bosco: Which?

Lisbon: Cooking show with the man.

Bosco: Oh, yeah, that one.

Lisbon: The angry man.

Jane: Oh, yeah, I know the one. It's good. Cooking show. Tuesday nights. Angry man.

Bosco: So, I can set up a time for you to take a polygraph?

Lisbon: No. I didn't k*ll McTeer.

Bosco: Nobody said you did yet.

Lisbon: Yet! (She storms out.)

Jane: Good luck with the case.

Jane joins Van Pelt, Cho and Rigsby at an outside coffee shop.

Jane: Having lunch?

Cho: A discussion. About Lisbon's situation.

Jane: Okay, Cho, you say work the McTeer case hard, screw Bosco and Minelli; (points at Rigsby) you disagree; (points at Van Pelt) and you're not so sure.

Rigsby: I'm just saying maybe we should let Bosco do his job. Stay out of his way. He's a good cop.

Cho: Is anybody going to go as hard after this case as us? No, I don't think so.

Jane: You're assuming Lisbon didn't k*ll him. What if she did k*ll him? What would you do?

Cho: What would you do?

Jane: Me? I'd walk away. But I ain't the law.

Van Pelt: Yes, we walk away.

Cho: Yeah.

Rigsby: I disagree.

Van Pelt: McTeer went after little children.

Rigsby: Hey, maybe he deserved to die. But if Lisbon had the guts to k*ll him, she has the guts to serve her time for it.

Cho: I'm going to talk to McTeer's boss.

Van Pelt: I'll come with you.

Rigsby: Okay, okay, look. Lisbon didn't do it anyhow. I mean, right? She's not capable of that.

Jane: I'm not so sure.

Lisbon is waiting on the balcony coffee shop at the CBI. Jane joins her.

Lisbon: What's up that we couldn't talk inside? I'm busy.

Jane: Thought you might want to be outside so you could express your anger without constraint.

Lisbon: Why?

Jane: I know you lied about the alibi.

Lisbon: I didn't lie.

Jane: I don't know what you did on Tuesday night, but you weren't watching TV.

Lisbon: I didn't lie. He made risotto.

Jane: Now this is insulting. You going to continue lying to me?

Lisbon: I can't remember. I can't remember what I did on Tuesday night; it's weird.

Jane: Thank you. It's okay, the memory's there, we can get it back. If I put you in a light trance...

Lisbon: Like that's going to happen! Stop trying to hypnotise me.

Jane: What if something traumatic happened and you're blocking it out?

Lisbon: I didn't k*ll McTeer.

Jane: Let me hypnotise you so we can be sure.

Lisbon: No.

Jane: Why not?

Lisbon: Because I don't want you inside my head. (She leaves.)

Lisbon is walking through the CBI and Bosco joins her.

Bosco: So it turns out you're not quite done with the McTeer case.

Lisbon: Funny.

Bosco: It's not my choice. He'll only talk to you.

Lisbon: Who?

She sees Dreyer sitting waiting for her. He stands up.

Dreyer: Agent Lisbon.

Lisbon: Hello, Dreyer.

Bosco: Thanks for coming in Mr Whelan.

Lisbon, Bosco and Dreyer Whelan are seated in the conference room.

Dreyer: So, you guys are still working together, still a team?

Lisbon: We're both handling this interview at your request, Dreyer. We just have a couple of questions for you.

Bosco: Just one, in fact. Did you k*ll William McTeer?

Dreyer: I didn't.

Bosco: Glad to hear it. How's Katie doing.

Dreyer: She's well. Doing well. Healing better than I am, according to our therapist.

Bosco: Where were you Tuesday night?

Dreyer: At home. Alone. Katie spent the night at a friend's.

Bosco: And what time...

Dreyer: (to Lisbon) You let him hurt her!

Lisbon: Excuse me?

Dreyer: I recently read the incident files.

Bosco: The internal SFPD files? How'd you get hold of those?

Dreyer: You could have taken McTeer down the Friday before, a whole week earlier.

Lisbon: That was not the case. I didn't have it. I didn't have anything to nail him on.

Dreyer: In the meantime he att*cked Katie and you could have saved her.

Lisbon: If I'd arrested him on a hunch, he would have been acquitted. He would have walked.

Dreyer: But Katie wouldn't have been r*ped. And that is your fault.

Bosco: Mr Whelan.

Dreyer: What?

Bosco: You swore you'd spend your entire fortune in the service of k*lling William McTeer. Why didn't you?

Dreyer: I couldn't. What if I'd been caught? I couldn't leave Katie alone.

Bosco: My take. Maybe you just didn't have the guts.

Dreyer: Go to hell. Both of you. (He leaves.)

Bosco: Don't worry about it. He's angry. Anger turns you.

Lisbon: Yes it does. I want to take the polygraph.

We see Lisbon being hooked up to a polygraph machine. Bosco watches though the window. Lisbon looks distressed.

Cho and Van Pelt are talking to the owner of the adult store where McTeer worked.

Cho: How long did McTeer work for you?

Store Owner: Uh, couple months.

Van Pelt: His record didn't bother you?

Store Owner: No, the freaks work harder, you know. They're grateful for the gig, you know. Not McTeer, though.

Cho: Is that why you two got in a fight?

Store Owner: Me and him? No, we didn't get in a fight. He got in a fight with his Jackal buddy, Dog. They got into a fight here right in the middle of the place. Busted it all up, so I fired his twisted ass. I mean, that's management 101, you know, no fist fights. So I booted him.

Cho: Did he come back at you about that?

Store Owner: No, he knows better than that. He knows I'm connected.

Cho: Connected, really? To whom?

Store Owner: Uh, people.

Cho: So what was it about? McTeer's fight with Dog?

Store Owner: Dunno, could have been about a million things, you know. Dog was a utility idiot. He's dumb in ten different ways.

Van Pelt: Does Dog have a real name?

Store Owner: Everybody does. I don't know what his was. Oh, those are on special (indicating some of his goods) - buy one, get one free.

Van Pelt: No thanks.

Lisbon is in the courthouse corridor, ready to testify in the Howard case.

Court Official: People vs Milton R Howard, case number 97203254 come on down.

Howard: Agent Lisbon, we have to talk.

Lisbon: How about you give me a confession, Howard?

Howard: Agent, I didn't do these things they said I did, okay? You have to hear my side of it.

Lisbon: I'll see you inside.

Lisbon sees Minelli approaching and goes to meet him.

Minelli: Agent Lisbon.

DA: Virgil, talk to her after. We're up.

Minelli: Agent Lisbon will not be joining you.

Lisbon: Is my team okay? Is somebody hurt?

Minelli: No. You failed the poly, Agent Lisbon. "Significant indications of deception", they say. You're relieved of duty, Agent. Report to admin for processing.

Lisbon: (looking stricken) Boss.

Minelli: Don't! (He walks away. The DA just looks at her. Lisbon walks off looking lost.)
Lisbon is at admin, turning in her g*n and badge.

Admin Guy: Signature on the bottom. g*n and badge in the tray.

She signs the form, puts her badge in the tray, takes the clip off her g*n and puts it and the g*n in the tray.

Admin Guy: Here's your receipt. Have a nice day. (He closes the wire window with a clang.)

Dr Carmen's office.

Dr. Carmen: Teresa Lisbon in my office, talking. You must be desperate.

Lisbon: I failed the polygraph. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Dr. Carmen: Well, reading polys is more art than a science. Ask to retake it. I can teach you how to relax.

Lisbon: My father used to have blackouts when he drank. One time he b*at my brother half to death and he didn't remember a thing. The whole way to the hospital he couldn't believe it was him who did it. (She blinks away tears.)

Dr. Carmen: Are you drinking? Is that why you're talking of blackouts?

Lisbon: What I need to know is, is it possible that I k*lled McTeer and blotted it out?

Dr. Carmen: You can't remember the night of the m*rder? (She shakes her head.) Well, don't panic. There could be lots of reasons. Stress, or...

Lisbon: Cops can become K*llers, doctor, it can happen.

Dr. Carmen: It's ridiculous. You didn't even know McTeer was in Sacramento.

Lisbon: His parole officer called me last month. Courtesy heads up.

Dr. Carmen: Well. Can memory loss be a result of trauma? Sure. Your mind shields you from the awful thing you did, or even what someone else did. Child molesters don't get better. The k*ller saved a child's life, whoever it is.

Lisbon: How do I unblock my memory?

Dr. Carmen: Maybe it will come back on its own. Give it time.

Lisbon: I don't have time. You know, you're useless. You don't know what you're talking about.

Dr. Carmen: I'm sorry. Until you remember, I don't know how to help you. (She storms out.)

Lisbon goes into the bullpen where Jane is sleeping on his couch.

Lisbon: Jane. (He wakes up.)

Jane: Oh, hey Lisbon. I imagine you want me to hypnotise you now.

Lisbon: Yeah.

Cho, Rigsby and Van Pelt are in the file storage room, looking through files.

Cho: Nothing in McTeer's parole files about any Dog.

Van Pelt: None of his associates either.

Cho: Black widow. (He stomps on the spider.) Dead one.

Bosco: What the hell do you think you're doing?

Cho: k*lling a spider. What are you doing?

Bosco: You're interfering with my case. You're talking to witnesses.

Cho: You're wrong.

Bosco: You're going to lie to me now?

Rigsby: What's the problem?

Bosco: Drop the McTeer case or you'll be on guard duty at the State Capitol saluting tourists.

Rigsby walks up to Bosco and towers over him.

Rigsby: Is that right?

Bosco: Yes it is. (He leaves.)

Cho: Nice comeback.

Van Pelt: You told him.

Rigsby: He knows the score. (He reaches for Van Pelt's laptop.) May I? Thanks. My guy at Pelican Bay came through. McTeer had a cellmate for 2 years nicknamed Dog.

Van Pelt: Hey, I know this guy. That's the brother of McTeer's girlfriend, David Charles.

Lisbon and Jane come into Lisbon's apartment. Jane looks around interestedly.

Lisbon: It's kind of a mess.

Jane: Not at all. It's nice. I like those pictures.

Lisbon: Those are mostly from the last tenants. (Jane peers at a photo of Lisbon's 3 younger brothers as children.) Where are we going to do this? (She sounds very agitated.)

Jane: Ah, interesting. (He looks at her CD collection.)

Lisbon: Let's just do it. Let's go.

Jane: No.

Lisbon: No?

Jane: No, I'm not going to hypnotise you Lisbon. You're too stressed.

Lisbon: Are you kidding me?

Jane: (Puts his hands on her shoulders.) Now, it's okay. Shh. It's okay. All right, I'd have to make all the stress leave your body. Maybe have you count down from 100,99,98. We go round and round. 94,93. (He waves a hand in front of her face. She's glazed over.) Listen to me, Lisbon, all the stress would have to melt away. You'd have to feel calm and relaxed and very safe. It's just about impossible. I'm not hypnotising you, Lisbon. It's not going to happen, so you can just relax. You are not falling into a deep, relaxing trance state. (Her eyes are fluttering.) Sleep. Okay, good. (She closes her eyes and he pulls her towards him. She lays her head against his shoulder and he pats it.) Good.

Lisbon is now seated in her living-room and Jane is sitting opposite her. Her eyes are still closed.

Jane: So you're going down the steps, relaxing with each step, and now you reach the bottom, the very last step, the ultimate place of calm. How are you feeling?

Lisbon: Good.

Jane: Good. You're going to remain in this relaxed trance state while we think about Tuesday night. But first, sometimes you dance to that Spice Girls CD, don't you?

Lisbon: Yeah. (She smiles with her eyes closed and does a little jiggle in her chair, as if she's playing the music in her head.)

Jane: I thought so. (He grins.) Now, Tuesday. You can watch whole day like it's a movie. Every detail is in focus. You can zoom into any moment you want. You can fast forward, rewind. You are in total control. Okay?

Jane: Good. What do you see?

Lisbon: I'm finishing up the Form 41s on the Milbank case. I feel... hungry, 'cause I skipped lunch. The new guy in the mailroom is hot.

Jane: Is he?

Lisbon: Yeah.

Jane: (looks a bit put out) Let's fast forward a little. Later in the day, you're about to leave CBI.

Lisbon: Van Pelt's working late. She's a hard worker. She might do well, if she manages not to sleep with Rigsby.

Jane: Where do you go now?

Lisbon: I... (her eyelids are fluttering) Home?

Jane: Do you? Where do you go, Lisbon? (He gets up and leans over her.)

Lisbon: I'm in my car. It's low on gas. (She's getting agitated.)

Jane: It's okay. You're in a trance state. Everything's okay.

Lisbon: I can't...

Jane: What do you see? Where do you go?

Lisbon: I... I don't know. It's blank. I just see a blank screen.

Jane: It's all right. It's all right.

Lisbon: I don't... I don't know where I went. I can't remember. I don't know where I went.

Jane: It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. (He puts his hand on her forehead and she comes out of her trance.)

Lisbon: I can't remember.

Jane: It's a little weird. (He sits down with a sigh. She stands up.)

Lisbon: I thought you were the best. I want my money back.

Jane: Hmm. Yeah.

Lisbon: Why can't I remember?

Jane: It's interesting, isn't it? (He gets up.)

Lisbon: Yeah, yeah, it's interesting.

Jane: Hmm.

Lisbon: Well, you know, thanks for trying. You probably have somewhere you need to go, right?

Jane: Well, I'm not going to give up that easily.

Lisbon: I can count on you not to tell anybody about this, right? On the team. (She's trying to hold back her tears.)

Jane: Oh, Lisbon. (He walks over to her and touches her arm.) Hey.

Lisbon: Jane, I just need you to leave. Okay, could you, please. Go.

Jane: All right. It's going to be okay. It's going to be fine, all right? I promise. Okay?

Lisbon: Hm. (He reluctantly leaves her standing tearfully with her hands in her pockets.)

David goes into Tanya's house and calls out for his sister.

David: Tanya, I got your text. It said 911, what's going on? (Cho comes up behind him and grabs him.) Oh, hey, hey, help. Police! (Rigsby runs in with his g*n drawn. Rigsby checks outside quickly and closes the door.)

Cho: Relax.

Rigsby: We're clear.

Cho: Good. (They sit David down and question him.)

Rigsby: Yeah.

Cho: You fought with McTeer in the parking lot. He b*at the snot out of you.

Rigsby: That must have been pretty humiliating.

Cho: So you lured him into the alley and you k*lled him.

David: No, I didn't k*ll him. I didn't!

Cho: You did k*ll him, David. You k*lled him, but it's our friend on the hook for it.

Rigsby: Look, Dog, jail is so much better than what you get if you keep lying to us.

David: Look, your friend the cop, she's the one who paid me to bring McTeer to the alley. Look, I had no idea she was going to sh**t him, I swear to you. I never would have taken the money if I knew it.

Cho: Agent Lisbon? She's the one who paid you?

David: Yeah, I mean it had to be her, didn't it? I heard you guys already arrested her for it.

Rigsby: But you're guessing, right? You never actually saw her?

David: I didn't see anybody. It was all texts. The deal was I got Bill drunk. We went out to the alley to go take a pee and then I split. I heard those sh*ts and I started running like hell, man. The next day there's ten grand in my checking account.

Rigsby: Ten grand?

Lisbon, Bosco, Rigsby and Cho are walking along on the mezzanine floor of the CBI.

Lisbon: Ten grand, Sam.

Bosco: I heard.

Lisbon: Ten grand just to lure the vic in, not even k*ll him. This is somebody with resources, connections.

Cho: Someone who's not Lisbon.

Rigsby: Seriously, where is she going to get ten grand from? No offence, boss.

Lisbon: I'll have Van Pelt track the text. Cho and I will talk to the guy's bank.

Bosco: Lisbon, get this through your head. You're relieved of duty. You're not even supposed to be in the building. And you two clowns are way out of hand. Let me deal with this. (He takes Lisbon aside.) Come here. Lisbon, look at me. Look at me. I'll handle it. Will you please trust me?

Lisbon: I'm sorry, you don't understand (She's moving very agitatedly.) Later you will.

Bosco: Are you medicated or something?

Lisbon: (raises her voice) Okay, I'm all right. I'm fine. (Everyone in the office looks at her.) What the hell is everybody looking at? (She's shouting now.) I... I'm fine. Just stay the hell away from me. I'm done with this crap. I am done. (She storms to the stairs, pushing between Rigsby and Cho.) Get out of my way. I'm sick of everybody. (She runs to her office. Everybody just stands and watches. She paces up and down in her office like a caged lion. Jane wanders into the bullpen.)

Jane: Who was that? Lisbon?

Rigsby: She's freaking out.

Jane: Oh, come on. It's just Lisbon.

Cho: She's a little stressed.

Van Pelt: What is going on?

Lisbon picks up a chair and throws in through her office window. After a shocked pause, Jane and Bosco run to her office.

Lisbon: Sorry. Why is this happening to me?

Jane: It's all right. Let's go home.

Bosco: I'll take her.

Lisbon: No. Leave me alone. (She leaves.)

Lisbon's apartment. She's wearing nothing but a huge football jersey (with "Lisbon 99" on the back) and she's listening to Spice Girls on her headphones. She pours some hard liquor into a mug and we see pills scattered on her living room table. She lifts a cloth and there's a g*n underneath it, which she straightens out. She picks her drink up and dances across the room to her music.

Rigsby is sitting at the bullroom conference table near the broken window, which is being cleaned up. Van Pelt comes up to him.

Van Pelt: The ten grand paid to David Charles came from an account owned by a shell company in the Caymans.

Rigsby: Well, that's good.

Van Pelt: The day after it paid David, the account paid out a million dollars to someone else.

Rigsby: I bet that's for the sh**t. Can we trace the payment?

Van Pelt: I'm trying, but...

Bosco: You'll find it dead-ends at a blind account that was closed yesterday.

Rigsby: Okay, we are working the case. We just want to...

Bosco: Forget about it. How's Lisbon?

Rigsby: She's fine.

Jane and Minelli are walking through the CBI together.

Jane: She's fine.

Minelli: Well, what did she say exactly?

Jane: Well, I didn't actually talk to her. She... she wouldn't let me in.

Minelli: You're worried about her. You think she might do something stupid?

Jane: su1c1de? No. If she did, she wouldn't blame the bureau.

Minelli: That's not my concern at all. I should have taken her off-duty w*apon.

Jane: Ah, I'm sure she'll be all right.

There's a knock at Lisbon's door. She opens it and lets Dr Carmen in.

Dr. Carmen: Minelli asked me to drop by. Well, ordered me to drop by, actually. Can we talk?

Lisbon: Minelli?

Dr. Carmen: He's worried about you. We all are.

Lisbon: Because I had a meltdown, got perp-walked out of the CBI, or because I k*lled a guy? (She drops the bottle of liquor she's carrying, which is now almost empty.)

Dr. Carmen: You k*lled McTeer?

Lisbon: How the hell would I know? Maybe. (She turns around and he sees she's got her g*n in her hand.)

Dr. Carmen: Teresa, you want to put away your Glock there?

Lisbon: Very good eye, doctor. The Glock 9mm. The safety is in the trigger. How stupid is that? I mean, it's kind of like not having a safety at all.

Dr. Carmen: How about you give it to me.

Lisbon: (She points the g*n at him.) Don't look at me like that. Don't look at me like that. This is your fault.

Dr. Carmen: Teresa.

Lisbon: You unlocked too many things in my head and now I can't remember. My head is messed up and it's your fault.

Dr. Carmen: Teresa, put it down. You need to be calm and put down the g*n.

Lisbon: Calm. You were right, doctor, there was something I wanted to tell you. (She points the g*n at her own head now.) I act calm on the outside, but on the inside I'm so angry I think I'm going to explode. All the misery and the pain that I see every day makes me want to scream, but I lock it down. I lock it down because I have to be calm and rational because that's my job, but I want to pull this trigger. I want to k*ll.

Dr. Carmen: You're angry. I hear that.

Lisbon: I think I did it. I think I k*lled McTeer.

Dr. Carmen: Teresa, if you did it, that's okay. He was a bad man. No reason for you to hurt anyone else, or yourself.

Lisbon: I still can't remember.

Dr. Carmen: You can and you will. And when you do, Teresa, when you push through to the truth, all this weight and worry will come off your shoulders.

Dr. Carmen: I want you to visualise that scene for me. Relive that moment. You went into the alley after this terrible man. Can you see him?

Lisbon: No. Well, yes. Maybe.

Dr. Carmen: Yes, you see him. You see the dumpsters and the trash and the crumbling old brick and you see McTeer. You see him there, this monster who destroyed so many lives. It's too much. See it, Teresa. (We see a flashback of McTeer in the alley as he gets sh*t.) Live it. The reek of the garbage, the filthy alley walls, the faded cross there. (We see a flashback of the body, and sign with a mission cross on it behind him, then the metal door is slid closed.) God might have mercy on William McTeer, but you sure as hell wouldn't. He deserved to die, but you're still a good person, Teresa. (The camera pans up from her cross around her neck to her tear-stained face.) You can get through this.

Lisbon: Cross.

Dr. Carmen: Uh, what?

Lisbon: The cross, Roy. (She drops her g*n to her side and changes her whole voice and stance to her usual controlled self.) How did you know about the cross? It was inside the door. Only the k*ller saw.

Dr. Carmen: Well, Teresa, you told me about the crime scene.

Lisbon: No, I didn't. (We see a flashback of Dr Carmen taking the 3 sh*ts.)

Jane: Oh, beautifully done. (The camera pans to the stairs, where we see Jane sitting.) Lovely work, Lisbon.

Dr. Carmen: What?

Jane: (comes down the stairs) Of course. The cross. You couldn't resist the imagery, could you doc? Lapsed Catholic, perhaps?

Dr. Carmen: What's going on?

Jane: Surrender, Dorothy, we got you. Brilliant, though. Made Lisbon come back week after week so you could get her fingerprints off your coffee mug and dose her up with, uh, lorazepam? (We see a flashback of him giving her the coffee.) Double dose for Tuesday to cause a memory loss, memory loss you knew Lisbon would conceal which made her fail the polygraph. Quite the student of human nature, huh doctor? Well done, really.

Dr. Carmen: Your breakdown in CBI - that was fake?

Jane: And how good was that, huh? (Lisbon grins, pleased with herself.) What about that? After that, all I had to do was get Minelli to get you to come around here.

Lisbon: I've been waiting for you all night.

Jane: There was one little thing. I'm just...just one little thing. Lorazepam, maybe that went a little too far. When Lisbon couldn't remember the night of the m*rder, even under hypnosis, I knew she'd been drugged. The rest of it, spot on. Very, very impressive.

Dr. Carmen: Thanks.

Jane: Not at all.

Lisbon punches Dr Carmen in the face. Then she gets out her cuffs and cuffs his hands behind his back.

Lisbon: You're under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in court. You have the right to an attorney. (Jane is grinning happily.)

At the CBI office, Rigsby is escorting Dr Carmen down the corridor.

Rigsby: So this guy who gave you the million bucks, you ever met him face to face?

Dr. Carmen: You want him, I want a deal. A good one. For what I got it's worth it. 2-5, minimum security.

Rigsby: Oh, there won't be a deal. We know who he is. Just curious if you knew.

We see Cho and Van Pelt bringing in Howard, also cuffed. Dr Carmen looks deflated as they go past.

In an interrogation room, Van Pelt and Cho are questioning Howard.

Van Pelt: It took us a while, but we traced the shell company back to you, Howard. You paid Dr Carmen and David Charles to frame Lisbon for McTeer's m*rder. These cash transactions prove it.

Cho: Discrediting a cop is so much smarter than k*lling her. We'd have been all over that. But this way her testimony dies along with her career.

Van Pelt: How about you give us a statement? Maybe help yourself.

Howard: How about you kiss me? You're pretty.

Van Pelt: So are you, compared to most state prison inmates.

Lisbon is in her office, putting back her belongings that were moved when the broken glass was being cleaned up. She's setting up the pieces on her chessboard when Bosco comes in.

Bosco: I hear Minelli is billing you for the glass.

Lisbon: It's only fair.

Bosco: You know, for a cop you made a very convincing lunatic. Jane must be proud.

Lisbon: Maybe it's not good police work, but I have to confess I enjoyed it, letting loose for once.

Bosco: Look, I'm glad you got cleared.

Lisbon: I'm sorry that we couldn't let you in on the plan.

Bosco: You could have, but you didn't. (He comes and stands close to her.) You should know that if it turned out to be you... (He looks at her meaningfully.)

Lisbon: I know.

Bosco: Just so you do. Enough said. (Jane walks in.)

Jane: I'm not interrupting anything, am I?

Bosco: No. Night, Lisbon. (Bosco leaves.)

Jane: Night, Sam. Doughnuts, from Marie's. (He hands Lisbon a bag.)

Lisbon: Oh.

Jane: I didn't see it. Of course.

Lisbon: What? (She takes a big bite of a doughnut.)

Jane: He's in love with you.

Lisbon: (with her mouth full) Don't be silly.

Jane: I know, hard to fathom. But there's no accounting for taste, is there?

Lisbon: Hush. (She throws the bag back at Jane, grinning. He goes out and she carries on getting her things sorted out. Her back is to the door, so she doesn't see Jane put his head back in and watch her for a few seconds, with a little smile, before he goes away again.)

END