04x21 - Cult Fiction

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Boy Meets World". Aired: September 1993 to May 2000.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A coming-of-age comedy follows Cory as he juggles school, friends and romance.

04x21 - Cult Fiction

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening Credits

[SCENE – Turner’s Classroom. Turner is handing out papers.]

Turner: Lawrence, good. (Gives paper to Topanga) Matthews, not bad. (Gives paper to Cory) Hunter… bad. (Drops paper on Shawn’s desk)

Shawn: (Bell rings) Turner, bell. (Stands)

Turner: (To Shawn) Wait, hold on. Y’know, you’re a junior in high school, now, Shawn. You have no goals as far as I can see. Have you even thought about college?

Shawn: I’m going to college.

Turner: Oh you are? Where?

Shawn: Hawaii. I figure I have a better sh*t outside the country.

Turner: You know, Shawn, the people who care about you in this life you can count on one hand. So don’t blow me off, okay?

Shawn: John, I got people who care about me.

Cory: (Interjecting, with Topanga) You know, Shawn, I think Mr. Turner’s right. Okay, I mean you got one more year of high school and the humidity in Hawaii is gonna make my hair go “Whoo!” (Waves hands from head)

Topanga: Well, I wanna go to Penn State.

Cory: (Puts his arm around Topanga) And I wanna go where she goes. Anyone surprised by that?

Turner: Whoa, whoa, okay? (To Shawn) Tick tock. The clock is moving and you are running out of time to figure out your life.

Shawn: Hey, John, you’re not my guardian anymore, I’m back with my parents, I’ll be fine.

Turner: Yeah, Shawn, but I’m one of the handful of people that cares about you, you know? Now your parents are busy trying to work our their marriage… (gestures to Cory & Topanga) So are they…

Topanga: (To Cory, all cutesie) Study hall?

Cory: Make out?

Topanga: Cory!

Cory: Topanga! (They exit, grinning and holding hands)

Turner: And y’know, you have four years of security in these halls, but they throw you out next year, Shawn. What’re you gonna do, then, huh? Who’re you gonna be? (Exits)

[Enter Sherri]

Sheri: Hi.

Shawn: (Loading backpack) Hey, Sherri.

Sherri: I couldn’t help overhearing Turner doing that number on you.

Shawn: You think he was doing a number on me?

Sherri: Only totally. I mean, all that stuff about only a handful of people care about you? I must have a hundred people who care about me. And who care about me enough not to judge me like that in front of everybody.

Shawn: Yeah, yeah. That was kinda embarrassing, huh?

Sherri: Do you wanna go grab a cup of coffee somewhere? I’m buying and I promise not to judge you at all.

Shawn: Yeah. Yeah, sure. I like girls with no judgment.

[SCENE – The Centre. Many teenager are talking and hanging out. Sherri shows Shawn in]

Sherri: Welcome to The Centre.

Group of kids: (Stand) Sherri! (A girl hugs Sherri) Shawn! (The same girls hugs Shawn, then the rest take turns giving him a hug.)

Shawn: (Uncomfortably) Okay… (To Sherri) Everybody know my name. That’s either really cool or really creepy.

Sherri: You have a sense of humor. I like that.

Shawn: And yet your not laughing.

Sherri: Laughter is a mask which denies the reality of a situation and reveals nervousness.

Shawn: (Laughs awkwardly) That’s funny. So, what’s up with the music? DJ? Live band coming? What?

Sherri: this isn’t really that kind of club, Shawn.

Shawn: No music? What kind of club is it, then?

Sherri: It’s more of a hangout. Where me and my friends get together and talk about stuff.

Shawn: They’re all your friends?

Sherri: Yep. And they can be yours, too, if you want.

Shawn: Sure. Sure. I can always used new friends. Don’t know if I’m real comfortable with the hugging thing, though.

Sherri: Mr. Mack says that a hug is a burst of pure love.

Shawn: Then I’m bursting with pure love now. (Hugs Sherri) So who’s this Mr. Mack you’re always talking about.

Sherri: (Mr. Mack enters in the background, hugging several kids as he approaches) He runs The Centre. And he’s the most remarkable human being I’ve ever met. He changed my life, Shawn.

Mr. Mack: Hello, Sherri. Are you centered? (They hug)

Sherri: (While hugging) I’m centered, Mr. Mack.

Mr. Mack: And how about you, Shawn. Are you centered?

Shawn: Nope, I’m totally off-center.

Mr. Mack: Well, we’ll have to see what we can do about that.

Shawn: Good luck to ya. So you’re Mr. Mack?

Mr. Mack: Guilty as charged. (Opens a soda can)

Shawn: It’s a nice place you got here. Seems a little touchy-feely at first, but (Mack hands him soda) it’s growin’ on me.

Mr. Mack: Well, it just goes to show, Shawn. You can’t always go with your first instinct, Shawn. You’ve got to give people a chance, Shawn.

Shawn: Really like my name, don’t you, Mr. Mack? Mr. Mack.

Mr. Mack: Well, there’s plenty of room in case you decide to move in.

Shawn: Move in? What’re you, nuts?

Sherri: This is where I live, Shawn. We all live here.

Shawn: (Looks around) Oh, my bad. This is a cult.

Mr. Mack: (Inhales as though about to talk, then smothers laughter. All the rooms occupants, except Shawn, laugh. Walks around couch in center of room and talks to Shawn as though he’s including everyone in the conversation) We’re just a place for people who need love in their lives.

Shawn: I really have plenty of love. Thanks, anyway.

Mr. Mack: You’re judging us, aren’t you?

Shawn: What?

Mr. Mack: The way your teachers, your family, and everyone else in your life judges you.

Shawn: Yeah, I don’t like that very much.

Mr. Mack: Because?

Shawn: Because they don’t really know me.

Mr. Mack: Hm… Well, why don’t you get to know us before you judge us? If you do that for us, we’ll do that for you.

Shawn: (After pause) Seems fair.

[SCENE – Chubbie’s. Shawn is studying with 3 girls, Sherri among them. Cory enters.]

Cory: Hey, Shawn. (Shawn hugs him, Cory shoves him away) Hey, hey! What the heck are you doing?

Shawn: Just saying hello.

Cory: Well, hello! And lets never say hello like that again. (Looks at 3 girls) Hey, three girls. (Waves)

Shawn: Are you centered, Cory?

Cory: Obviously not like you.

Shawn: (Referring to 3 girls) Oh, they’re from The Centre. They’re helping me study. I like The Centre, Cor.

Cory: Um, please excuse us, three girls. (Steps to side with Shawn) Um, listen, Shawn, just what exactly is this “Centre” of which you speak?

Shawn: (Defensively jabs finger) It’s not a cult.

Cory: (Skeptically gaping) Uh-huh…

Shawn: (Defensive) Don’t judge us, Cory.

Cory: Shawn, you’re talking crazy. I mean, you were there for, what, an hour?

Shawn: The length of a journey has nothing to do with its ultimate value, Shawn.

Cory: (Unsure how to react) Tha’s nice…

Shawn: (Discouraging) Cory.

Cory: Shawn, listen. Throughout our entire friendship, we’ve talked about everything, right? I mean, we’ve talked about girls, we’ve talked about movies, we’ve talked about music, but we’ve never talked about what you believe in.

Shawn: I believe that I finally found a place where people let me be who I am. Y’know, without trying to change me or need to know what my goals are in life. I mean, why do I need that?

Cory: Shawn, what do you believe in?

Shawn: (Angrily) What do you believe in, Cory? Do you believe in a mother and a father and a comfortable house on a comfortable street because that’s what you have? Well, I don’t have that. So I found something with these people.

Cory: Yeah, but who are these people?

Shawn: (Encircled by the 3 girls) Stop trying to take away what I have, I don’t do that to you.

Sherri: (Interjecting) We really have to be going. (They start towards the exit)

Cory: Y’know, I have a lot of questions about this place.

Shawn: Then you should check it out some time, bud. (Exits with 3 girls)

[SCENE – Turner’s classroom. Turner is talking to Shawn, the room aside from them is empty]

Turner: So Shawn, what is this “Centre” you’re hanging out at?

Shawn: (Shakes head) No.

Turner: Why not?

Shawn: Because I am not gonna talk to you about something that you’re never gonna understand.

Turner: (Sarcasm) Oh, you can understand it but somehow it’s beyond me?

Shawn: You’re as judgmental as everybody else in my life.

Turner: Well, first of all, you judge me, remember? You said I couldn’t understand it.

Shawn: I’m centered, you’re not. End of story.

Turner: Boy, this sounds like a real enlightened, open-minded group.

Shawn: (Shrugs) Judging.

Turner: Okay, why do you feel you need to be a part of this place, Shawn?

Shawn: Okay. All my life, I’ve felt like there’s some part of me missing. And I felt like everybody could tell. Y’know, like there was some hole in me and everyone could see through it. Like I wasn’t finished or something.

Turner: (Stands, dumbstruck) I never saw that, Shawn. I mean, if you would’ve just told me I could’ve done something about it.

Shawn: Let’s not dwell on what people did or did not do for…

Turner: (Interrupting) Yeah, Shawn, let’s dwell on that! That’s what makes you a person, how you relate to the people who really care about you.

Shawn: The Centre is filled with people who care about me and who make me feel like a person. (Goes to hug him, but Turner stops him with an authoritative look)

Turner: (Dead serious) The Centre is filled with lost souls who have no belief system. Who are targets for some guy to bring over to his way of thinking. (Puts hands on Shawn shoulders poignantly) The Shawn Hunter that I know is one of the most unique individuals I’ve ever met. And if you let this place take away who you really are, Shawn, then you’ve made the worst judgment you can make. You made the judgment.

Shawn: (Pause) I don’t know who I am, John. (Exits hurriedly)

[SCENE – The Centre. Cory enters with Eric]

Cory: Well, this is it, Eric. This is “The Centre”. Where Shawn is.

Eric: Con men. Fakes and charlatans, I’d say. (Holds up ticket) (To room) Which one of you brainwashed nuts validates parking?

Cory: Eric, listen, I would not underestimate these people, okay? I mean, they did get Shawn.

Eric: Cory, no offense to Shawn or anything, okay, but takes a pretty weak-willed and gullible individual to succumb to this kind of blatant scam.

[A pretty girl, Alicia, walks over]

Alicia: Hi, I’m Alicia. Welcome to the Centre. (Hugs Eric)

Eric: (Holds up wallet to Alicia) Here’s money, where’s room?

Cory: (Takes wallet from Eric) Ah, yes, he’s has his conflicts, but we’re not staying we’re just here for a visit.

Alicia: I understand. You’re feeling lost. Alone. Abandoned.

Eric: Yes. My emotional pallet is missing yellow and blue. Where’s my room? (Alicia takes his hand and leads him away)

Cory: Oh, Eric. Eric!

Eric: No no no no no. My new nut name is Sunflower Fortunado. (Exits with Alicia)

Cory: (Turns around. Three girls are there) (Makes Spock hand gesture) Hello…

Shawn: (Walks over) Cory! What’re you doing here?

Cory: (With fake enthusiasm, thrusts out arms for a hug. Doesn’t get one.) What, no hug?

Shawn: Cory, the Centre isn’t the kind of place for someone like you, okay? You have something to believe in, I’m still looking. You should go, I belong here.

Cory: So that’s it, huh? You’ve chosen the Centre? You’re gonna live here with these Jujy Fruits? You can’t see through this?

Eric: (Walks by, being led by Alicia) Cory, I wanna spend the rest of my life here. And the beauty part is, duing the winter, I can go to their tanning and hugging center in the Bahamas! (Walks away)

Cory: Lemme tell you something Shawn…

Shawn: (Interrupting) Cory! Cory! Leave me alone, okay? It’s not like I’m doing dr*gs!

Cory: It’s just like your doing dr*gs, okay? I mean, you’re having your mind messed with, you’re not the person I know, and everything you say is artificial. Okay, you’re not going to find what you’re looking for, here.

Shawn: Sixteen years of being out there, I haven’t found anything at all.

Cory: This guy, Mr. Mack, can’t help you find what you’re looking for because you don’t know what you’re looking for, alright? Your sixteen years old! That’s what this guy does. He makes you think you’re lost so he can find you, and once he has you he will never let you out of his sight, okay. He will be there every time you turn around. (Mr. Mack steps behind Cory. Cory notices) Allow me to demonstrate. (Turns to Mr. Mack, does Spock hand gesture) Hello.

Mr. Mack: Welcome to the Centre.

Cory: (To Shawn) Okay, he’s very powerful. (To Mr. Mack) Who do I make the check out to?

Mr. Mack: You’re here to see that you’re friend Shawn is making the right choice for himself. So check us out. I think you’re gonna like what you see. Nobody judges who you are or where you come from. Everyone here is the same.

Cory: (Thinks) Can I go in that room? (Points to door with a big silver star on it)

Mr. Mack: No, that’s the celebrity room. (Walks away)

Cory: (To Shawn) That is the slickest guy I’ve ever seen!

Shawn: So you see, Cory? I’m not a prisoner here. I can leave anytime I want.

Cory: Okay, then I think we should go now. I think we should leave right now. (Steps away, then stops when he hears Mr. Mack)

Mr. Mack: (To room, from a podium) Children of the Centre. Let’s welcome into our family our new life member. Shawn Hunter. (Gestures to Shawn)

Shawn: (Everyone applauds. Shawn hugs Sherri, then another) (To Cory) Goodbye. (Cory looks upset)

[SCENE Matthews’/Feeny’s backyard. Amy, Alan, and Feeny are there. Cory enters]

Cory: Y’know, guys, I’m his best friend and it’s like he doesn’t hear me anymore. Okay, I mean, why does he have so much faith in this “Centre”?

Alan: Alright, let’s get in the car, go down, and drag him out ourselves.

Feeny: (Walks through gate) I’m going with you. I’m well acquainted with the Centre, have been trying to close it down for some time now. This Mr. Mack is a frightening man.

[Shawn & Eric enter]

Shawn: Hello, Mr. Feeny. Cory. Mister And missus Matthews.

Feeny: Hello, Shawn.

Amy: Shawn, are you alright?

Shawn: Of course I am. I’m totally centered.

Alan: (Sidebar) Thanks, Eric, for bringing him back. (Eric nods)

Shawn: Actually, I brought Eric back. Mr. Mack felt that Eric wasn’t sincere. And that he was just in it for the hugs.

Eric: (Laughs) Well, yeah. (Exits)

Shawn: Okay, I hope you’ve had a peaceful night. I’m going back to the Centre.

Alan: Oh, no, whoa, whoa. No you’re not. While your parents are out of town you are our responsibility.

Amy: That means you’re staying here, in this house.

Shawn: Yeah. Mr. Mack told me that people like you would try to talk me out of my beliefs.

Amy: Shawn, we love you.

Shawn: He said you’d say that.

Alan: Alright, fine, that’s enough. Get him in the house and tie him up.

Feeny: Shawn, these aren’t beliefs. This is just a way to escape a life that doesn’t have believes.

Shawn: That’s a judgment.

Feeny: You’re damn right it is!

Shawn: What’s wrong with me trying to find something to believe in?

Feeny: Shawn, I’m all for your search for spirituality, okay? But you don’t seem to realize that Mr. Mack is conducting his own search. For lost souls that he can influence and manipulate.

Shawn: He said you’d say that.

Feeny: Yes, I’m sure he has given you a thought for every occasion. (Phone rings) Excuse me. (Exits into house)

Cory: Look, Shawn, I don’t say this very often, but Feeny’s making sense.

Shawn: Not to me! I mean, why would Feeny feel the need to att*ck what I believe in?

Amy: Shawn, why do you need to believe in this “Centre” so strongly?

Shawn: What?

Alan: Shawn, before you met these people at this place, what did you believe in?

Shawn: I don’t know, nothing.

Alan: Did you believe in God? (Long pause. Shawn is stumped. Feeny reenters) George, what is it?

Feeny: Jonathan Turner. He’s been in a motorcycle accident.

Amy: Oh, no.

Cory: Is he okay?

Feeny: Uh, no, he isn’t. Alan, would you give me a lift down to the hospital?

Amy: We’ll all go.

Cory: (Starts to leave with everybody. Shawn stays) Come on, Shawn.

Shawn: I’ll meet you guys there.

Cory: What do you mean…

Shawn: (Interrupting) I’ll meet you guys there! (Exits)

[SCENE – Hospital waiting room. Amy, Alan, Feeny, Cory, and Eric are all sitting. Topanga enters and sits next to Cory.]

Topanga: How’s Mr. Turner?

Cory: The doctors are with him, we’re waiting to hear.

Topanga: Where’s Shawn?

Cory: I have no clue.

Topanga: Well, Mr. Turner and Shawn are like brothers, how could he not be here?

Cory: I don’t know.

[Shawn enters]

Cory: (Stands) Shawn.

[Mr. Mack enters]

Cory: Mr. Mack.

Mr. Mack: Shawn thought I could be of some help. (Turns to the adults) Hello, I’m Phillip Mack. (Nods to Feeny) Feeny.

Feeny: Mack, you don’t belong here.

Mr. Mack: One of my children invited me and as always I’m here for him. As well as any other child who calls for me.

Eric: (Stands) I wanna come back.

Mr. Mack: No, no, no.

Cory: (To Shawn) Hey, what’s he doing here?

Shawn: Cory, I couldn’t face this alone.

Cory: Okay, first of all, we’re here. Okay, and second of all, I am beginning to see that you are more alone than I ever knew.

Shawn: What does that mean?

Mr. Mack: (To Feeny) I just want you to know that I forgive you for trying to shut us down. (Paces past)

Feeny: (Stands with Amy & Alan) You forgive me?

Alan: Easy, George, come on. He’s just trying to get a rise out of you. (To Mr. Mack) Look, you’re not dealing with gullible little kids here, now, buddy. Now you brought Shawn down, thanks, now why don’t you take a hike back to con land.

Mr. Mack: (To Shawn) Now do you see how judgmental these people are?

Alan: (Angrily) No, listen! (Shoves Mack into wall) You see! A judgment I made a long time ago is that Shawn Hunter is the best friend that my kid ever had. And I will k*ll to protect Shawn Hunter from people like you. (Points menacingly)

Amy: (Touches Alan’s arm) Alan, he would love a lawsuit.

Mr. Mack: (Straightens his coat after a long pause) I think there’s a lot of anger here. And I don’t feel that this is a healthy environment for Shawn.

Feeny: Well I really don’t give…

Mr. Mack: (Interrupting) Look, I know you don’t respect my philosophies, but for kids who feel lost and have an emptiness in their lives, I’m here to give them a sense of belonging.

Feeny: You can’t have Shawn.

Mr. Mack: That’s up to Shawn. And, in any event, there are many more just like him. (Nods) So, come one Shawn, let’s go. (Turns around, Shawn isn’t there) Shawn?

[Cut to hospital room. Cory, Topanga, and Shawn stand over Turner’s bed. Turner is unconscious and covered in casts]

Shawn: Cory, I can’t be in here, this is too intense.

Topanga: For all of us, Shawn. But this is life and this is what’s really happening right now.

Shawn: I need Mr. Mack.

Topanga: No! He can’t help you with this! Shawn, what is the matter with you?!

Shawn: I don’t know but I can look at him like this! (Starts towards door, Cory slams it shut before him) Cory, come on, let me go.

Cory: No.

Shawn: Cory, let me go!

Cory: (Gives Shawn a hug and doesn’t let go) Shawn! This is a hug, okay!? This is a hug! And this is when you hug somebody, when you care about them. And when you want them to know that. (Backs away, still holding his arm) Now you can not leave here, do you hear me? Turner took care of you, he loves you and you love him. Is that real? Or are Mr. Mack and the Centre real? (Lets go completely) You decide, but you cannot go. We can go. (Exits with Topanga)

Shawn: (Turns to Turner) Jon, how could you be in here? How could you screw up on your bike? I have never seen you screw up on anything. I'm the screw-up, remember? Come on, you remember. Don't do this to me, Jon. I don't do alone real good. (Long pause) Look, I know you're in there, but it's like you're not really here. You're not talking, but I know you're here. So I'm just going to talk, and you can listen. (Sits bedside) Jon, even when I was at the Centre, it was all the things that you taught me that made me wonder if it was the right place for me or not. But you didn't teach me enough. You… and Cory… and my parents… and the Matthews and the handful of people who really care about me, so don't blow me off, Jon! Don't blow me off God! (Looks up) I've never asked you for anything and I never wanted to come to you like this. But don't take Turner away from me. He's not done yelling at me, yet. God, you're not talking, but I know you're here. So, I'm going to talk and you can listen. God… I don't want to be empty inside anymore. (Holds Turner’s hand. It slowly moves to embrace Shawn’s hand. Shawn smiles)

[TAG – Waiting room. Shawn enters. Everybody present, Cory, Topanga, Amy, Alan, Feeny, Eric, and Mr. Mack stand]

Cory: How is he?

Shawn: He’s gonna be fine.

Cory: Really? Is that what the doctor said?

Shawn: No, I just know he is.

Mr. Mack: Shawn, it’s obviously been a very stressful day for you and I think you should come back to the Centre.

Shawn: Yeah, I think I should, too.

Cory: What?

Shawn: I want to pick up my things, and then, if it’s okay, come back and stay with you guys.

Amy: Yeah, it’s okay.

Mr Mack: Shawn…

Shawn: (Interrupting) You know, I see you right in front of me and I hear what you have to say and it's nothing. And, if I was an empty person who didn't have anything to believe in, I might go with you, because that would be easy. Well, I'm done with easy and I'm done with empty. I'm done with you.

Mr. Mack: Well, we'll always be there for you, Shawn.

Shawn: Yeah. I know. (Mr. Mack slowly makes an exit. Everyone smiles)