00X00 - The Cage: Unaired Pilot

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Star Trek". Aired: September 1966 to June 1969.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The iconic series "Star Trek" follows the crew of the starship USS Enterprise as it completes its missions in space in the 23rd century.

00X00 - The Cage: Unaired Pilot

Post by bunniefuu »

EXTERIOR sh*t, SPACE, ENTERPRISE FLYBY, CAMERA ZOOMS INTO BRIDGE.

SPOCK
Check the circuit.

TYLER
All operating, sir.

SPOCK
Can't be the screen, then.

(VIEWSCREEN sh*t.)

Definitely something out there, Captain, headed this way.

TYLER
Could be these meteoroids.

NUMBER ONE
No. It's something else. There's still something out there.

SIREN SOUNDING.

TYLER
Coming at speed of light. Collision course. The meteoroid beam has not deflected it, Captain.

VIEWSCREEN sh*ts.

NUMBER ONE
Evasive maneuvers, sir?

PIKE
Steady as we go.

VIEWSCREEN sh*ts.

SIREN STOPS.

COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
It's a radio wave, sir. We're passing through an old-style distress signal.

PIKE
They were keyed to cause interference and attract attention this way.

COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
A ship in trouble making a forced landing, sir. That's it. No other message.

TYLER
I have a fix. It comes from the Talos Star Group.

CREWMAN HANDS CAPTAIN PIKE A PAPER.

NUMBER ONE
We've no ships or Earth colonies that far out.

SPOCK
Their call letters check with a survey expedition... S.S. Columbia. Disappeared in that region approximately 18 years ago.

TYLER
It would take that long for a radio beam to travel from there to here.

SPOCK WAVES HAND AT COMPUTER CONSOLE, SCREEN CHANGES IMAGE.

SPOCK
Records show the Talos group has never been explored. Solar system similar to Earth. Eleven planets. Number four seems to be Class "M"...

Oxygen atmosphere.

NUMBER ONE
Then they could still be alive even after 18 years.

PIKE
If they survived the crash.

SPOCK
We aren't going to go, to be certain?

PIKE
Not without any indication of survivors, no. Continue on to the Vega Colony... and take care of our own sick and injured first.

(TO NUMBER ONE.)

You have the helm. Maintain present course.

NUMBER ONE
Yes, sir.

CAPTAIN PIKE EXITS BRIDGE AND ENTERS TURBOLIFT. WALKS DOWN CORRIDOR, PASSES MALE AND FEMALE CREWMEMBERS, ENTERS HIS CABIN. ACTIVATES COMMUNICATOR LAYING ON TABLE, COMMUNICATOR BEEPS.

BOYCE
(VOICE OVER COMMUNICATOR.)

Boyce here.

PIKE
Stop by my cabin, Doctor.

(CAPTAIN WALKS ACROSS ROOM AND LAYS DOWN ON BED, SIGHS.)

KNOCK ON DOOR, IT OPENS AND DOCTOR WALKS IN, DOCTOR CARRIES IN LIGHT BROWN LEATHER CASE AND FLIP ON A LIGHT, THEN OPENS CASE.

PIKE
What's that? I didn't say there was anything wrong with me.

BOYCE
I understand we uh picked up a distress signal.

PIKE
That's right. Unless we get anything more positive on it,
(GETS UP FROM BED, WALKS OVER TO RECESSED COUNTER AND PICKS METAL CLIPBOARD.)

it seems to me the condition of our own crew takes precedent. I'd like to log the ship's doctor's opinion, too.

BOYCE
Oh, I concur with yours, definitely.

PIKE
Well, good. I'm glad you do... because we're going to stop first at the Vega Colony...

(SITS DOWN ON BED.)

and replace anybody who needs hospitalization... and also... What the devil are you putting in there, ice?

BOYCE HANDS PIKE A DRINK.

BOYCE
Who wants a warm martini?

PIKE
What makes you think I need one?

BOYCE
Sometimes a man will tell his bartender... things he'll never tell his doctor.

(HAS DRINK AND SITS DOWN.)

What's been on your mind, Chris, the fight on Rigel VII?

PIKE
Shouldn't it be?

(TOSSES CLIPBOARD ON BED.)

My own yeoman and two others dead. Seven injured.

BOYCE
Was there anything you personally could have done to prevent it?

PIKE
Oh, I should have smelled trouble when I saw the swords and the armor. Instead of that, I let myself get trapped in that deserted fortress... and att*cked by one of their warriors.

BOYCE
Chris, you set standards for yourself no one could meet. You treat everyone on board like a human being except yourself. And now you're tired, and you...

PIKE
You bet I'm tired. You bet. I'm tired of being responsible for 203 lives. I'm tired of deciding which mission is too risky and which isn't, and who's going on the landing party and who doesn't. And who lives...

(SHAKES HEAD.)

and who dies. Well, I've had it, Phil.

BOYCE
To the point of finally taking my advice, a rest leave?

PIKE
To the point of considering resigning.

BOYCE
And do what?

PIKE
Well, for one thing, go home. Nice little town... with 50 miles of parkland around it. Remember I told you I had two horses? We used to take some food and ride out all day.

BOYCE
Ah, that sounds exciting. Ride out with a picnic lunch every day.

PIKE
I said that's one place I might go, or I... I'd go into business on Regulus... or on the Orion Colony.

BOYCE
You, an Orion trader, dealing in green animal women slaves?

PIKE
The point is this isn't the only life available. There's a whole galaxy of things to choose from.

BOYCE
Not for you... A man either lives life as it happens to him, or meets it head on and licks it, or he turns his back on it... and starts to wither away.

PIKE
Now you're beginning to talk like a doctor, Bartender.

BOYCE
You take your choice. We both get the same two kinds of customers... The living and the dying.

WHISTLE SOUNDS AS SHIP'S INTERCOM IS ACTIVATED, CAPTAIN TURNS ON MONITOR. SPOCK'S IMAGE APPEARS ON MONITOR SCREEN.

SPOCK
Mister Spock here. We're intercepting a follow-up message, sir. There are crash survivors on Talos.

MONITOR IMAGE FADES OUT.

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE, BRIDGE.

MALE CREWMAN
(GETS READOUT PAPER FROM COMPUTER CONSOLE.)

"Eleven survivors from crash. Gravity and oxygen within limits. Food and water obtainable. But unless..." The message faded at that point, sir.

PIKE
Address inner craft.

TYLER
System open.

PIKE
This is the captain. Our destination is the Talos Star Group. Our time warp... factor seven.

TYLER
Course computed and on the screen.

NUMBER ONE
All decks have acknowledged, sir.

PIKE
Engage.

EXTERIOR sh*t OF SPACE AND STARS FLYING BY WHILE SUPERIMPOSED OVER CREW sh*t ON BRIDGE.

TYLER
On course, sir.

PIKE
(TURNS AND BUMPS INTO FEMALE YEOMAN.)

Yeoman?

COLT
Yes, sir.

PIKE
I thought I told you when I'm on the bridge I expect...

COLT
That you wanted the reports by 0500. It's 0500 now, sir.

PIKE
Oh. I, I see. Thank you.

NUMBER ONE
She's replacing your former yeoman, sir.

PIKE
No, she does a good job, all right. It's just that I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge.

(SURPRISED, NUMBER ONE LOOKS AT CAPTAIN.)

No offense, Lieutenant. You're different, of course.

FRUSTRATED, NUMBER ONE LOOKS AT CAPTAIN, AGAIN.

EXTERIOR sh*t, SPACE, CAMERA ZOOMS IN ON PLANET.

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE, BRIDGE, PLANET ON VIEWSCREEN.

TYLER
We've settled into orbit, sir.

CREWMAN
(ENTERS BRIDGE.)

Geological lab report complete, Captain.

SPOCK
Preliminary lab survey ready, sir.

PIKE
Spectrography?

CREWMAN
Our readings shows an oxygen nitrogen atmosphere, sir. Heavy with inert elements, but well within safety limits.

SPOCK
Gravity?

CREWMAN
0.9 alert.

TYLER
Captain? Reflections, sir, from the planet's surface. As I read it, they polarize out as rounded metal bits. Could be parts of a spaceship hull.

PIKE
Equip a landing party of six. You feel up to it?

SPOCK
Yes, sir.

TYLER
Yes, sir.

Sorry, Number One. Little information on this planet. We'll have to leave the ship's most experienced officer covering us.

NUMBER ONE
Of course, sir.

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE, TRANSPORTER ROOM.

PIKE
There's no indication of problems down there, but let's not take any chances.

TRANSPORTER OFFICER
Yes, sir. There's a canyon to the left. We can set you down there completely unobserved.

PIKE
Right.

6 MEMBER LANDING PARTY STEPS ONTO TRANSPORTER PAD. TRANSPORTER OFFICER ACTIVATES TRANSPORTER CONTROLS. TRANSPORTER SOUNDS. LANDING PARTY DEMATERIALIZES FROM TRANSPORTER PAD.

EXTERIOR sh*t, PLANT SUFACE. TRANSPORTER SOUNDS. LANDING PARTY REMATERIALIZES ON PLANET SURFACE. LANDING PARTY EXPLORES PLANET UNTIL THEY FIND CAMPSTIE OF HUMANS.

CREWMEMBER
(TO PIKE.)

Sir. They're men. They're humans.

PIKE
Captain Christopher Pike. United Spaceship Enterprise.

CAMPSITE HUMAN #1
Dr. Theodore Haskins. American Continent Institute.

CAMPSITE HUMAN #2
Is Earth all right?

PIKE
The same old Earth, and you'll see it very soon.

TYLER
And you won't believe how fast you can get back. The time barrier's been broken. Our new ships can...

THEY SEE A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG FEMALE.

CAMPSITE HUMAN #1
This is Vina. Her parents are dead. She was born almost as we crashed.

INTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, UNDERGROUND CAVE. WE SEE 3 BALD ALIENS, THEY ARE TALOSIAN, WITH LARGE HEADS AND VISIBLY PRONOUNCED BLUDGING BLOOD VIENS AROUND THEIR HEADS WATCHING THE LANDING PARTY ON A SCREEN IN THE ROCK WALL OF A HIDDEN CAVE.

EXTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, CAMPSITE. LANDING PARTY IS HELPING CAMPSITE HUMANS TO PACK UP.

PIKE
(COMMUNICATOR BEEPS AS PIKE ACTIVATES IT.)

Enterprise.

NUMBER ONE

Landing party, come in.

PIKE
We'll begin transporting the survivors and their effects up to you very shortly.

NUMBER ONE

Quarters are being prepared, sir. Have I permission to send out scouting and scientific parties now?

PIKE
That's affirmative on the...

(SEES VINA.)

VINA
You appear to be healthy and intelligent, Captain.

Prime specimen.

NUMBER ONE

I didn't get that last message, Captain.

PIKE
Uh, affirmative on request. Landing party out.

CAMPSITE HUMAN #1
You must forgive her choice of words, Captain. She's lived her whole life with a collection of aging scientists.

BOYCE
If they can spare you a moment, I'd like to make my medical report.

VINA
I think it's time to show the captain our secret.

BOYCE
Their health is excellent. Almost too good.

CAMPSITE HUMAN #1
There's a reason for our condition, but we've had some doubt if Earth is ready to learn the secret. Let the girl show you. We'll accept your judgment.

(FOLLOWS VINA.)

VINA
You're tired, but don't worry. You'll feel much better soon.

VINA LEADS PIKE BY THE HAND UP A ROCKFACE.

VINA
Don't you see it? Here and here.

PIKE
I, I don't understand.

VINA
You will. You're a perfect choice.

VINA DISAPPEARS BEFORE PIKE'S EYES, THEN ALL THE CAMPSITE HUMANS DISAPPEAR. A DOOR OPENS IN THE ROCK FACE AND 3 TALOSIANS EMERGE FROM THE DOOR AND sh**t PIKE WITH AN ALIEN w*apon THAT PRODUCES A YELLOW ENERGY RAY. PIKE FALLS TO THE GROUND, AS THE LANDING PARTY SEES THAT THEY RUN TOWARD HIS POSITION, AS PIKE IS DRAGGED INSIDE THE DOOR AND IT CLOSES BEFORE THE LANDING PARTY ARRIVES.

TYLER
Captain!

SPOCK AND TYLER, AND ANOTHER CREWMAN FIRE LASER WEAPONS PRODUCING REDDISH-ORANGE ENERY BEAMS AT THE DOOR BUT CANNOT PENETRATE THE DOOR.

SPOCK
(COMMUNICATOR BEEPS AS SPOCK ACTIVATES IT.)

Spock here.

NUMBER ONE

Landing party, come in.

SPOCK
There is no survivors' encampment, Number One. This is all some sort of trap. We've lost the captain.

Do you read?

INTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, INSIDE UNDERGROUND CAGE. PIKE AWAKENS LYING ON A BED. HE GETS UP TO SEE HE IS IMPRISONED IN A GLASS SUROUNDED CELL. PIKE TRIES TO SMASH THE GLASS WALL WITH HIS SHOULDER, BUT CANNOT. PIKE SEES A FURY GORILLA-LIKE HUMANOID ALIEN IN THE AJOINING GLASS SUROUNDED CELL AND HEARS THE CREATURE GROWLING. THEN HE SEES A BIRD-LIKE HUMANOID ALIEN IN THE SAME CELL. PIKE THEN SEES 4 TALOSIANS EMERGE FROM A DOOR AND WALK DOWN THE CORRIDOR TOWARD HIS CELL.

PIKE
Can you hear me? My name is Christopher Pike,
commander of the space vehicle Enterprise... from the stellar group at the other end of this galaxy. Our intentions are peaceful. Can you understand me?

TALOSIAN #2
(USING TELEPATHY.)

It appears, Magistrate, that the intelligence of the specimen is shockingly limited.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(USING TELEPATHY.)

This is no surprise since his vessel was baited so easily with a simulated message. As you can read in its thoughts, it is only now beginning to suspect that the survivors and encampment were a simple illusion we placed in their minds.

PIKE
You're not speaking, yet I can hear you.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(USING TELEPATHY.)

You will note the confusion as it reads our thought transmissions.

PIKE
All right, then. Telepathy. You can read my mind. I can read yours. Now, unless you want my ship to consider capturing me an unfriendly act...

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(USING TELEPATHY.)

You now see the primitive fear-thr*at reaction. The specimen is about to boast of his strength, the weaponry of his vessel and so on. Next... frustrated into a need to display physical prowess, the creature will throw himself against the transparency.

PIKE TRIES TO SMASH THE GLASS WALL WITH HIS SHOULDER SEVERAL TIMES, BUT CANNOT.

PIKE
If you were in here... wouldn't you test the strength of these walls too? There's a way out of any cage, and I'll find it.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(USING TELEPATHY.)

Despite its frustration, the creature appears more adaptable than our specimens from other planets. We can soon begin the experiment.

sh*t OF PLANET ON A SMALL VIEWSCREEN.

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE, BRIEFING ROOM. CREW MEMBERS SITTING AT TABLE.

SPOCK
The inhabitants of this planet must live deep underground. Probably manufacture food and other needs down there.

(SPOCK OPERATING A COMPUTER CONSOLE AS IMAGES APPEAR ON A SMALL VIEWSCREEN.)

Now, our tests indicate the planet's surface without considerably more vegetation or some animals, simply too barren to support life.

NUMBER ONE
So we just thought we saw survivors there, Mister Spock.

SPOCK
Exactly. An illusion, placed in our minds by this planet's inhabitants.

BOYCE
It was a perfect illusion. They had us seeing just what we wanted to see. Humans beings who'd survived with dignity and bravery. Everything entirely logical, right down to the building of the camp. The tattered clothing, everything. Now, let's be sure we understand the danger of this. The inhabitants of this planet can read our minds. They can create illusions out of a person's own thoughts, memories and experiences. Even out of a person's own desires. The illusion's just as real and solid as this table top and just as impossible to ignore.

NUMBER ONE
Any estimate what they might want one of us for?

SPOCK
They may simply be studying the captain, to find how Earth people are put together, or it could be something more.

TYLER
Then why aren't we doing anything? Now that entry may have stood up against hand lasers, but we can transmit the ship's power against it, enough to blast half a continent.

SPOCK
Look.

(SPOCK OPERATING A COMPUTER CONSOLE AS IMAGES APPEAR ON A SMALL VIEWSCREEN.)

Brains three times the size of ours. If we start buzzing about down there, we're liable to find their mental power is so great, they could reach out and swat this ship as though it were a fly.

TYLER
It's Captain Pike they've got. He needs help. And he probably needs it fast.

NUMBER ONE
Engineering deck will rig to transmit ship's power. We'll try blasting through that metal.

INTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, IN THE CAGE. PIKE IS LOOKING AROUND FOR A WAY OUT. WE SEE THE TALOSIANS WATCHING PIKE ON A SCREEN IN THE ROCK WALL OF A HIDDEN CAVE.

TALOSIAN #2
(USING TELEPATHY.)

Thousands of us are already probing... the creature's thoughts, Magistrate. We find excellent memory capacity.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(USING TELEPATHY.)

I read most strongly a recent death struggle... in which it fought to protect its life. We will begin with this, giving the specimen something more interesting to protect.

THE ALIEN CELL DISAPPEARS FROM AROUND PIKE.

EXTERIOR sh*t, STRANGE PLANET.

VINA
Come on! We must hide ourselves. Come. Come. Hurry! It's deserted. There'll be weapons and perhaps food.

PIKE
This is Rigel VII.

VINA
Please! We must hide ourselves.

PIKE
I was in a cage, a cell, in some kind of a zoo. I must still be there.

VINA
Come on!

PIKE
They've reached into my mind and taken the memory of somewhere I've been.

WE HEAR AN ALIEN CREATURE GROWLING.

VINA
The k*ller!

PIKE
It's starting just as it happened two weeks ago.

PIKE
Except for you.

VINA RUNS INTO A DELAPADATED OLD BUILDING WHICH LOOKS LIKE AN ALIEN CASTLE AND PIKE FOLLOWS HER IN AND GRABS HER.

PIKE
Longer hair, different dress, but it is you. The one the survivors call Vina.

PIKE
Or rather the image of Vina. But why you again? Why didn't they create a different girl?

WE HEAR AN ALIEN CREATURE GROWLING. AN ALIEN HUMANOID/ NEANDERTHAL LOOKING CREATURE COMES AROUND CORNER OF BUILDIND CARRING HUGE AXE TYPE w*apon AND SHEILD AND WEARING BODY ARMOR.

VINA
Quick! If you att*ck while it's not looking.

PIKE
But it's only a dream.

WE HEAR AN ALIEN CREATURE GROWLING. THE ALIEN CREATURE BREAKS DOWN A DOOR AND ENTER ANOTHER PART OF THE BUILDING.

VINA
You have to k*ll him, as you did here before.

PIKE
You can tell my jailers I won't go along with it. I'm not an animal performing for its supper.

VINA
It doesn't matter what you call this. You'll feel it. That what matters. You'll feel every moment of whatever happens to you.

WE HEAR AN ALIEN CREATURE GROWLING. THE ALIEN CREATURE COMES OUT OF DOORWAY IT HAD JUST ENTERED PREVIOUSLY AND SEES PIKE AND VINA.

VINA
Please! Don't you know what he'll do to us?

PIKE BACKS OFF FROM THE ALIEN CREATURE WHILE SHELTERING VINA BEHIND HIMSELF. AS THE ALIEN CREATURE APPROACHES, PIKE PUSHES VINA FROM HARM'S WAY. PIKE PICKS UP A w*apon LAYING NEARBY AND FIGHTS THE ALIEN CREATURE. PIKE THROWS HIS w*apon AT THE ALIEN CREATURE AND KNOCKS IT DOWN THEN RUNS TO VINA.

PIKE
Why would an illusion be frightened?

VINA
Because that's the way you imagined me.

PIKE
Who are you? You act as if this were real to you, too.

VINA
Careful!

VINA SCREAMS AT THE ALIEN CREATURE att*cks AGAIN, PIKE AND VINA ARE FORCED TO RETREAT UP A FLIGHT OF STONE STAIRS. ALIEN CREATURE AND PIKE ENGAGE IN CLOSE COMBAT. ALIEN CREATURE FORCES PIKE OFF LANDING ABOVE STAIRS. ALIEN CREATURE GOES AFTER VINA, SHE TRIES TO FIGHT BACK. PIKE THROWS A DAGGER TYPE w*apon AT ALIEN CREATURE STRIKING IT IN THE LOWER BACK. ALIEN CREATURE TURNS ATTENTION TO PIKE AND JUMPS OFF LANDING TOWARD HIM. PIKE PICKS UP SPEAR TYPE w*apon WHICH THE ALIEN CREATURE FALLS ON AND DIES. THE ALIEN PLANET DISAPPEARS FROM AROUND PIKE.

INTERIOR sh*t, INSIDE THE CAGE.

VINA
It's over.

VINA WALKS OVER AND LOVINGLY PUTS HER ARMS AROUND PIKE'S NECK WHILE LAYING HER HEAD ON HIS CHEST. VINA QUICKLY REMOVES HER ARMS FROM PIKE. THEN WE SEE 4 TALOSIANS ARE WATCHING STANDING OUTSIDE PIKE'S CELL. THEN THEY TURN AND LEAVE, 3 ENTERING A DOOR BEHIND THEM.

PIKE
Why are you here?

VINA
To please you.

PIKE
Are you real?

VINA
As real as you wish.

PIKE
Oh, no. No, that's not any answer. I've never met you before, never even imagined you.

VINA
Perhaps they made me out of dreams you've forgotten.

PIKE
What, and dressed you in the same metal fabric they wear?

VINA
Well, I have to wear something, don't I? Or I can wear whatever you wish or be anything you wish.

PIKE
So they can see how their specimen performs? They want to see how I react. Is that it?

VINA
Don't you have a dream, something you've always wanted very badly?

PIKE
Or do they do more than just watch me? Do they feel with me too?

VINA
You can have whatever dream you want. I can become anything, any woman you, you've ever imagined. You can have anything you want in the whole universe. Let me... please you.

PIKE
Yes, yes, you can please me. You can tell me about them. Is there any way I can keep them from probing my mind and from using my thoughts against me?

Does that frighten you? Does that mean there is a way?

VINA
(SHAKES HER HEAD.)

You're a fool!

PIKE
And since you're not real, there's not much point in continuing this conversation, is there?

EXTERIOR sh*t, PLANET SURFACE. CREWMEMBERS ARE STANDING BY A BIG METALIC LASER CANNON TYPE w*apon.

NUMBER ONE
(COMMUNICATOR BEEPS AS NUMBER ONE ACTIVATES IT.)

All circuits engaged, Mister Spock.

SPOCK
(VOICE OVER THE COMMUNICATOR.)

Standing by, Number One.

NUMBER ONE
Take cover.

CREWMEMBERS HEAD FOR COVER.

SPOCK
(VOICE OVER THE COMMUNICATOR.)

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one.

METALIC LASER CANNON TYPE w*apon FIRES CONTINOUS BLUE ENERGY BEAM AT ROCK FACE DOOR WITH NO EFFECT.

NUMBER ONE
(COMMUNICATOR BEEPS AS NUMBER ONE ACTIVATES IT.)

Increase to full power.

METALIC LASER CANNON TYPE w*apon FIRES CONTINOUS BLUE ENERGY BEAM AT ROCK FACE DOOR WITH NO EFFECT.

NUMBER ONE
Can you give us any more?

SPOCK

Our circuits are beginning to heat. We'll have to cease power.

NUMBER ONE
Disengage!

METALIC LASER CANNON TYPE w*apon CEASES FIRE.

NUMBER ONE
The top of that knoll should've been sheared off the first second.

BOYCE
Maybe it was. It's what I tried to explain in the briefing room. Their power of illusion is so great, we can't be sure of anything we do or anything we see.

INTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, INSIDE THE CAGE.

VINA
Perhaps if you asked me some questions I could answer.

PIKE
How far can they control my mind?

VINA
If I tell you, then will you pick some dream you've had and let me live it with you?

PIKE
Perhaps.

VINA
They can't actually make you do anything you don't want to do.

PIKE
But they try to trick me with their illusions.

VINA
And they can punish you when you're not cooperative. You'll find out about that.

PIKE
Did they ever live on the surface of this planet? Why do they go underground?

VINA
w*r... thousands of centuries ago.

PIKE
That's why it's so barren up there?

VINA
The planet's only now becoming able to support life again.

PIKE
So the Talosians who came underground found life limited here, and they concentrated on developing their mental power.

VINA
But they found it's a trap, like a narcotic. Because when dreams become more important than reality, you give up travel, building, creating. You even forget how to repair the machines left behind by your ancestors. You just sit, living and reliving other lives left behind in the thought record.

PIKE
As in probing the minds of zoo specimens, like me.

VINA
You're better than the theater to them. They create an illusion for you. They watch you react, feel your emotions. They have a whole collection of specimens, descendants of life brought back long ago from all over this part of the galaxy.

PIKE
Which means they had to have more than one of each animal.

VINA
Please.

PIKE
They'll need a pair of humans too. Where do they intend to get the earth woman?

ONE OF THE TALOSIANS APPROACHES PIKE'S CELL.

VINA
You said that if I answered your questions...

PIKE
But that was a bargain with something that didn't exist. You said you weren't real, remember?

VINA
I'm a woman, as real and as human as you are. We're like Adam and Eve. If we---
(VINA WRITHES IN PAIN.)

Don't, please! Don't punish me!

VINA SCREAMS AND DISAPPEARS, LEAVING BEHIND HER CLOTHING. THE TALOSIAN LEAVES AND PIKE CONTINUES TO LOOK FOR A WAY OUT OF HIS CELL. THEN A SMALL DOOR OPENS IN THE ROCK WALL AND A SMALL VIAL OF BLUE LIQUID IS PLACED IN PIKE'S CELL.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
The vial contains a nourishing protein complex.

PIKE
Is the keeper actually communicating with one of his animals?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
If the form and the color is not appealing, it can appear as any food you wish to visualize.

PIKE
And if I prefer---
TALOSIAN KEEPER
...to starve? You overlook the unpleasant alternative of punishment.

PIKE WRITHES IN PAIN AND YELLS WHILES INVISIONING HIMSELF IN THE MIDST OF FLAMES.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
From a fable you once heard in childhood. You will now consume the nourishment.

PIKE
Why not just put irresistible hunger in my mind? 'Cause you can't, can you? You do have limitations, don't you?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
If you continue to disobey, from deeper in your mind, there are things even more unpleasant.

PIKE DRINKS THE VIAL AND THEN CHARGES THE CELL'S GLASS WINDOW, HITTING IT WITH HIS SHOULDER.

PIKE
That's very interesting.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
Now to the female.

PIKE
You were startled. Weren't you reading my mind then?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
As you've conjectured, an Earth vessel did crash on our planet, but with only a single survivor.

PIKE
Now let's stay on the first subject. All I wanted for that moment was to get my hands around your neck.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
We repaired the survivor's injuries... and found the species interesting.

PIKE
Do primitive thoughts put up a block you can't read through?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
It became necessary to attract a mate.

PIKE
Alright, alright. Let's talk about the girl. You seem to be going out of your way to make her attractive, to make me feel protective.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
This is necessary in order to perpetuate the species.

PIKE
It seems more important to you now that I begin to accept her and like her.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
We wish our specimens to be happy in their new life.

PIKE
Assuming that's a lie, why would you want me attracted to her? So I'll feel love and a husband/wife relationship? Well, that would be necessary only if you intend to build a family group or perhaps a whole human community.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
With the female now properly conditioned...

PIKE
You mean properly punished! I'm the one who's not cooperating. Why don't you punish me?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
First an emotion of protectiveness, now one of sympathy. Excellent.

TALOSIAN KEEPER LEAVES AND THEN THE ALIEN CELL DISAPPEARS FROM AROUND PIKE.

EXTERIOR sh*t, A WOODLANDS PARK. VINA IS SETTING UP A PICNIC SPREAD ON A BLANKET ON THE GROUND.

VINA
Do you want some coffee, dear? I left the thermos hooked to my saddle.

PIKE
(WALKS OVER TO A HORSE.)

Tango! You old devil you! I'm sorry. I don't have any su---
(FINDS SUGAR CUBES IN HIS POCKET.)

Well, they think of everything, don't they?

VINA
Hey! The coffee. Is it good to be home?

PIKE
They read our minds very well. Home, anything else I want, if I cooperate. Is that it?

VINA
Have you forgotten my headaches, darling? I get them when you talk strangely like this.

PIKE
Look, I'm sorry they punish you, but we can't let them...

VINA
My, it turned out to be a lovely day, didn't it?

PIKE
It's funny. Just about 24 hours ago, I was telling the ship's doctor how much I wanted something... not very different from what we have here. An escape from reality, a life with no frustrations, no responsibilities. And now that I have it, I understand the doctor's answer.

VINA
I hope you're hungry. These little white sandwiches are your mother's recipe for chicken tuna.

PIKE
'Cause you either live life... bruises, skinned knees and all... or you turn your back on it and start dying. Well, the doctor's going to be happy about one part of it at least. He said I needed a rest.

VINA
Well, this is a lovely place to rest.

PIKE
Yeah, I used to ride through here when I was a kid. Not as pretty as some of the parks around the big cities, but... That's Mojave. That's where I was born.

VINA
That's supposed to be news to your wife? You're home. You can even stay if you want. Wouldn't it be nice showing your children where you once played?

PIKE
These headaches. They'll be hereditary, you know. Would you wish them on a child or a whole group of children?

VINA
That's foolish.

PIKE
Is it? Look, first they made me protect you, and then feel sympathy for you. And now we have these... familiar surroundings and a comfortable husband/wife relationship. Well they don't need all this for just passion. What they're after is respect and mutual dependence.

VINA
They say in the olden days, all this was desert, just blowing sand and cactus.

PIKE
But we're not here, neither of us! We're in a menagerie, a cage.

VINA
No!

PIKE
I can't help either one of us if you won't give me a chance. Now, you told me once they used illusions as a narcotic. They couldn't even repair the machines left by their ancestors. Is that why they want us, to build a colony of slaves?

VINA
Stop it! Don't you care what they'll do to us?

PIKE
Back in my cage, it seemed for a couple of minutes that our keeper couldn't read my thoughts. Do emotions like hate... keeping hate in your mind... does that block off our mind from them?

VINA
Yes. They can't read through primitive emotions. But you can't keep it up for long enough. I've tried. They keep at you and at you, year after year, tricking and punishing. And they won. They own me. I know you must hate me for that.

PIKE
Oh, no, I don't hate you. I can guess what it was like.

VINA
But that's not enough. Don't you see? They read my thoughts, my feelings, my dreams of what would be the perfect man. That's why they picked you. I can't help but love you, and they expect you to feel the same way.

PIKE
If they can read my mind, then they know I'm attracted to you. I was from the first moment I saw you in the survivors' camp.

WE SEE 2 TALOSIANS WATCHING THEM ON A SCREEN IN THE ROCK WALL OF A CAVE.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(USING TELEPATHY.)

A curious species. They have fantasies they hide even from themselves.

VINA
I'm beginning to see why none of this has worked for you. You've been home and uh, fighting, as on Rigel. That's not new to you, either. A person's strongest dreams... are about what he can't do. Yes... A ship 's captain... always having to be so formal, so decent and honest and proper. You must wonder what it would be like to forget all that.

TALOSIAN KEEPER WAVES HIS HAND AND THE SETTING CHANGES AROUND PIKE.

EXTERIOR sh*t, ANCIENT ROMAN TYPE PALACE SETTING. PIKE, ATIRED IN AN ANCIENT ROMAN TYPE UNIFORM, CONFUSEDLY LOOKS AROUND.

GUY IN A STARFLEET UNIFORM
Nice place you have here, Mister Pike.

WE SEE VINA AS A GREEN SKINNED ORION sl*ve GIRL DANCING PROVOCATIVELY.

PIKE
Vina?

GUY IN AN ANCIENT ROMAN TYPE UNIFORM
Glistening green, almost like secret dreams a bored ship captain might have.

Funny how they are on this planet... actually like being taken advantage of.

WE SEE VINA AS A GREEN SKINNED ORION sl*ve GIRL DANCING PROVOCATIVELY.

Suppose you had all of space to choose from... and this was only one small sample?

GUY IN AN ANCIENT ROMAN TYPE UNIFORM
Wouldn't you say it was worth a man's soul?

PIKE ANGERLY LEAVES THE SETTING AND WALKS INTO AN AJOINING ROOM WHICH TURNS OUT TO BE A CAVE. HE LOOKS AROUND AND THEN GOES BACK TO WHERE HE CAME IN BUT IT IS NOW A SOLID ROCK WALL. PIKE TURNS AND LOOKS THEN WALKS IN THE OPPISITE DIRECTION. THEN VINA, STILL DRESSED AS A GREEN SKINNED ORION sl*ve GIRL, WALKS UP BEHIND PIKE HOLDING A TORCH WHICH SHE USES TO LIGHT OTHER TORCHES ON THE ROCK WALL.

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE.

SPOCK
Now, we've located a magnetic field. Seems to come from their underground generator.

CREWMAN
But could that be an illusion too?

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE, TRANSPORTER ROOM.

NUMBER ONE
Well, you all know the situation. We're hoping to transport down inside the Talosian community.

SPOCK
If our measurements and readings are an illusion also, one could find oneself materialized inside solid rock.

NUMBER ONE
Nothing will be said if any volunteer wants to back out.

SIX ENTERPRISE CREWMEN, INCLUDING SPOCK & NUMBER ONE, STEP ONTO THE TRANSPORTER PAD. TWO TRANSPORTER OFFICERS OPERATE CONTROLS. TRANSPORTER WHINE SOUNDS. BUT ONLY NUMBER ONE AND COLT DEMATERIALIZE.

SPOCK
The women!

INTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, THE CAGE.

NUMBER ONE
Captain! Captain.

VINA
No! Let me finish!

NUMBER ONE
But we were a party of six.

COLT
We were the only ones transported.

VINA
It's not fair. You don't need them.

PIKE GETS THE LAZER PISTOLS FROM NUMBER ONE & COLT, BUT THEY DON'T WORK.

PIKE
They don't work.

NUMBER ONE
They were fully charged when we left.

(TRIES TO ACTIVATE HER COMMUNICATOR.)

It's dead. I can't make a signal. What is it?

PIKE
Don't. Don't say anything. I'm filling my mind with a picture of b*ating their huge, misshapen heads to pulp! Thoughts so primitive, they black out everything else. I'm filling my mind with hate!

VINA
How long can you block your thoughts, a few minutes, an hour? How can that help?

COLT
Leave him alone.

VINA
He doesn't need you. He's already picked me.

COLT
Picked her? For what? I don't understand.

VINA
Now, there's a fine choice for intelligent offspring.

COLT
Offspring? As in children?

NUMBER ONE
Offspring as in he's Adam. Is that it?

VINA
You're no better choice. They'd have more luck crossing him with a computer.

NUMBER ONE
Well, shall we do a little time computation? There was a Vina listed on that expedition as an adult crewman. Now, adding 18 years to your age then...

TALOSIAN KEEPER APPROACHES THE CAGE.

VINA
It's not fair! I did what you asked!

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(USING TELEPATHY.)

Since you resist the present specimen, you now have a selection.

PIKE
I'll break out of this zoo somehow and get to you. Is your blood red like ours? I'm going to find out.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
Each of the two new specimens has qualities in her favor. The female you call Number One has the superior mind and would produce highly intelligent children.

TALOSIAN #2
Although she seems to lack emotion, this is largely a pretense. She often has fantasies involving you.

PIKE
All I want to do is get my hands on you. Can you read these thoughts, images of hate, k*lling?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
The other new arrival has considered you unreachable, but now is realizing this has changed. The factors in her favor are youth and strength, plus unusually strong female drives.

PIKE
You'll find my thoughts more interesting, thoughts so primitive, you can't understand, emotions so---
PIKE GROANS IN PAIN.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
Wrong thinking is punishable. Right thinking will be as quickly rewarded. You will find it an effective combination.

NUMBER ONE
Captain.

PIKE
No. Don't help me. I have to concentrate. They can't read through hate.

SPOCK
Address inner craft.

CREWMAN
Open, sir.

SPOCK
This is the acting captain speaking. We have no choice now but to consider the safety of this vessel and the remainder of the crew. We're leaving. All decks prepare for hyper drive. Time warp factor---
TYLER
Mister Spock, the ship's controls have gone dead!

SPOCK
Engine room!

CREWMAN
Open.

SPOCK
Mister Spock here. Switch to rockets. We're blasting out.

ENGINE ROOM
(VOICE OVER SHIP'S INTERCOM.)

All systems are out, Bridge. We've got nothing.

TYLER
There's nothing. Every system aboard is fading out!

INTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, IN THE UNDERGROUND CAVE. TALOSIAN KEEPER EMERGES FROM ELEVATOR. A SMALL DOOR OPENS IN THE CAGE. PIKE SEES THE TALOSIAN KEEPER REACH INTO THE CAGE AND GRABS HIS ARMS. HE PULLS THE TALOSIAN KEEPER INTO THE CAGE. PIKE PUTS HIS HANDS AROUND TALOSIAN KEEPER'S NECK.

PIKE
Hold still, or I'll... Now you hold still, or I'll break...

VINA
Don't hurt them. They don't mean to be evil.

PIKE
I've had some samples of how good they are.

(TALOSIAN KEEPER TURNS INTO A GORILLA LIKE CREATURE.)

You stop this illusion, or I'll twist your head off!

(TALOSIAN KEEPER STOPS THE ILLUSION.)

Alright. Now you try one more illusion, you try anything at all, I'll break your neck.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
Your ship. Release me, or we'll destroy it.

TYLER
Nothing.

SPOCK
If not for the batteries, we'd lose gravitation, oxygen.

ALARMS BEGIN SOUNDING.

TYLER
The computers! I can't shut it off! It's running through our library. Tapes, micro records, everything. It doesn't make sense!

SPOCK
Could be we've waited too long. They're collecting all the information stored in this file. They've decided to swat us.

INTERIOR sh*t, ON THE PLANET, IN THE CAGE.

VINA
He's not bluffing, Captain. With illusion, they can make your crew work the wrong controls or push any button it takes to destroy your ship.

PIKE
I'm gonna gamble you're too intelligent to k*ll for your reason at all.

(FIRES LASER, WHICH SEEMINGLY DOES NOT WORK.)

On the other hand, I've got a reason. I'm willing to bet you've created an illusion this laser is empty. I think it just blasted a hole in that window, and you're keeping us from seeing it. You want me to test my theory on your head?

A LASER BLAST HOLE APPEARS IN THE CAGE WINDOW.

COLT
Captain!

EVERYONE EXITS THE CAGE THROUGH THE BLAST HOLE. THEY ALL STEP ON TO THE ELEVATOR. THE ELEVATOR OPENS ON THE PLANET'S SURFACE AND EVERYONE GETS OFF THE ELEVATOR.

PIKE
Make contact, Number One.

NUMBER ONE
They kept us from seeing this too. We cut through and never knew it. Captain!

TALOSIAN KEEPER
As you see, your attempt to escape accomplished nothing.

PIKE
I want to contact our ship.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
You are now on the surface, where we wished you to be. With the female of your choice, you will now begin carefully guarded lives.

PIKE
And start by burying you?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
That is your choice. To help you reclaim the planet's surface, our zoological gardens will furnish a variety of plant life.

PIKE
Look, I'll make a deal with you. You and your life for the lives of these two earth women.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
Since our life span is many times yours, we have time to evolve you into a society trained to serve as artisans, technicians...

PIKE
Do you understand what I'm saying? You give me proof that our ship is alright, send these two back and I'll stay with Vina.

NUMBER ONE
It's wrong to create a whole race of humans to live as slaves.

NUMBER ONE SETS LASER TO OVERLOAD.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
Is this a deception? Do you intend to destroy yourselves?

VINA
What is that?

PIKE
The w*apon is building up an overload A force chamber expl*si*n. You still have time to get underground. Well, go on! And just to show you how primitive humans are, Talosian, you go with her.

VINA
If... If you all think it's this important, then I can't go, either. I suppose if they have one human being, they might try again.

TWO MORE TALOSIANS EMERGE FROM THR ELEVATOR.

PIKE
Wait!

NUMBER ONE SHUTS DOWN THE LASER OVERLOAD.

TALOSIAN #2
(USING TELEPATHY.)

Their method of storing records is crude and consumed much time. Are you prepared to assimilate it?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
(ASSIMILATES THE RECORDS.)

We had not believed this possible. The customs and history of your race show a unique hatred of captivity. Even when it's pleasant and benevolent, you prefer death. This makes you too violent and dangerous a species for our needs.

VINA
He means that they can't use you. You're free to go back to the ship.

PIKE
And that's it? No apologies. You captured one of us, threatened all of us.

TALOSIAN #2
Your unsuitability has condemned the Talosian race to eventual death. Is this not sufficient?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
No other specimen has shown your adaptability. You were our last hope.

PIKE
But wouldn't some form of trade, mutual cooperation...

TALOSIAN KEEPER
Your race would learn our power of illusion... and destroy itself too.

NUMBER ONE
(COMMUNICATOR WHISLES.)

Captain, we have transporter control now.

PIKE
Let's get back to the ship.

PIKE LOOKS AT VINA.

VINA
I can't. I can't go with you.

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE, TRANPORTER ROOM.

TRANPORTER OFFICER
Sir, it just came on. We can't shut the power off.

WHISTLE SOUNDS AS SHIP'S INTERCOM IS ACTIVATED.

SPOCK
Mister Spock here.

CREWMAN
(VOICE OVER SHIP'S INTERCOM.)

All power has come on, Mr. Spock. The helm is answering to control.

TRANSPORTER SOUNDS AS NUMBER ONE AND COLT MATERIALIZE ON THE TRANSPORTER PAD.

CREWMAN
The captain?

EXTERIOR sh*t, THE PLANET'S SURFACE. WE SEE VINA TURN INTO A BROKEN DOWN OLD WOMAN.

VINA
You see why I can't go with you?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
This is the female's true appearance.

VINA
They found me in the wreckage dying, a lump of flesh. They rebuilt me. Everything works, but they had never seen a human. They had no guide for putting me back together.

VINA TURNS TO LEAVE.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
It was necessary to convince you her desire to stay is an honest one.

PIKE
You'll give her back her illusion of beauty?

TALOSIAN KEEPER
And more.

VINA'S APPEARANCE RETURNS TO THAT OF A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG WOMAN. THEN A DOUBLE OF PIKE APPEARS AND RETURNS HAND IN HAND WITH VINA TO THE ELEVATOR IN THE ROCK FACE.

TALOSIAN KEEPER
She has an illusion, and you have reality. May you find your way as pleasant.

INTERIOR sh*t, ENTERPRISE, TRANPORTER ROOM.

TRANPORTER OFFICER
Mister Spock, the system is coming on again.

TRANSPORTER SOUNDS. PIKE MATERIALIZES ON THE TRANSPORTER PAD.

COLT
What's happened to Vina?

NUMBER ONE
Isn't she coming with us?

PIKE
No. No, and I agreed with her reasons.

BOYCE
Hold on a minute.

PIKE
No, I feel fine. Just fine.

BOYCE
Yeah, you look 100 percent better.

PIKE
You recommended a rest, and a change of pace, didn't you?

BOYCE
Mm-hmm.

PIKE
I've even been home. Does that make you happy?

(BUMPS INTO YOEMAN COLT.)

Yeoman?

YOEMAN COLT
Yes, sir.

PIKE
I thought I told you that when I'm on the Bridge, I... Oh. Oh, yes, the... uh... the reports. Thank you.

COLT
Sir, I was wondering. Just curious... who would have been Eve?

NUMBER ONE
Yeoman! You've delivered your report.

YOEMAN COLT
Yes, ma'am. Yes, sir.

TYLER
Eve, sir? Yes, sir.

BOYCE
Eve as in Adam?

PIKE
As in all ships' doctors are dirty old men. What are we running here, a cadet ship, Number One? Are we ready or not?

NUMBER ONE
All decks show ready, sir.

PIKE
Engage.

EXTERIOR sh*t, SPACE. WE SEE THE PLANET DISAPPEAR IN THE DISTANCE. WE SEE SEVERAL ENTERPRISE FLYBYS.

THE END